Author Topic: TAR 17 Ep 4 "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads."  (Read 48704 times)

Offline Kaylynn

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Future The amazing race contestant.
    • The Splash
Re: TAR 17 Ep 4 "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads."
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
Okay guys...we have this now. The show is over for everyone now I believe?

Karlyn...spoiling the results of the show before it ends is a bannable offense... Please read the rules of posting during the show here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23537.0.html

And note which thread is for posting during the show ONLY.

You are getting a pass only because some were delayed and others were not tonight.

bannable? The show came on at 8:00 pm in Florida and that's on time I believe so!
I'm sorry for spoiling it on a spoiler thread on the spoiler board.

If you wish to talk about the race spoiler free may I ask you to go http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/board,72.0.html

p.s. My name is Kaylynn not Karlyn  :)
Casting for Kaylynn's The Amazing Race 1. SIGN UP!
Current Fan Amazing Race
Kevin's Amazing Race- Kaylynn/Taylor
Amazing Race Game 5- Thomas/Kaylynn

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
How are things judged when some areas on eastern time in the US get the show on time, and other areas on east coast time don't?

And how would someone know at what point the delayed feeds on the east coast in the US are?

It's one thing when almost everyone on the east coast is being delayed by CBS at the same time; but it appears this week the feeds were going out to different US east coast markets at three different times. Even if you know you are in a delayed area of the US east or central time zones, you don't know if you are in the most delayed area, and that seems to have been the issue this week.

I was even confused as to posting or not and my area started on time this week.

The longest delay was 19 min, so I made sure I didnt post anything earlier than 21 minutes after it happened on my feed which was undelayed CDT.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »
Thank you everyone...I agree that this was an unusual night.

We will move on now please...Kaylynn and I will be talking! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
Did anyone else find this episode to have it all...Self driving, booking a seperate flight, nice SNOW!!! locale and good tasks and the teams really shuffled up and down the board (from 1st to 9th, 8th to 1st etc)
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »
Kiwi. You and Neobie and I seem to be on similar wavelengths.  I'm not going to repeat verbatim what I just posted elsewhere, but it did feel like a leg from the early seasons, a feel that had been missing for a long time.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
I know it sounds stupid, but...that bear is bothering me. Is it phony? The hair color of the head doesn't match the body color.

Nice Call!   :lol:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »
Even Michael called it a fake bear as he drove by it. Good job slowhatch.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:34 AM »
This was an awesome episode! But i'm really sad that Connor and Jonathan got eliminated! They were just starting to grow on me! However, they can blame no one for it. They were the first to the airport and they just wanted to camp at the gate of the slower flight?! But they made an extremely memorable exit by singing their way out.. it was nice to hear but saddening to watch.

The Detour was awesome! One showed the culture of the country whereas the other showed the sights and fun of it. LOVED the Sleds!!

The Roadblock was very cool too! With the dogs and racing and everything!! This was definitely a TRULY memorable leg and i don't know if i'm the only one but i really really liked this leg.

I like the fact that teams were allowed to find their own flight as well!! Self-driving (although no one got lost) as well!

I was really hoping Kevin and Michael will come in first.. but aww, you can't expect much because i'm very sure Michael can't do SLEDS.. (quite sure) Some people might find it sad that Kevin is always basing Detour choices on what his father cannot do, but i beg to think different because he's actually willing to go slow for his dad! Admirable spirit there!

And Chad and Stephanie.. Chad broke down for around 5mins on the show.. and then he was all good to Stephanie again. I'm liking Chad and Stephanie BETTER than Jill and Thomas. So much more better.

And speaking of Jill and Thomas, at that circumstance when they're around with no teams and have no idea how long it will take to build the tent, it was definitely a smart choice to use it. BUT, because the other teams suck at SLEDS.. it became a bad move because they could have built the tent and still come in 6th.. (Nick and Vicki will move up to 5th)

And i loved how Michael and Kevin and Nat and Kat are like DARN smart. If Michael and Kevin didn't win the leg, Nat and Kat deserves to win this leg because they did find this flight on their own! As for Brooke and Claire and Gary and Mallory, let's just say they better remember the help they got from Nat and Kat and Michael and Kevin.

Loads of thoughts after this episode. IT WAS TRULY GREAT!

And sucks that a fake bear has to appear. WHAT WAS THAT FOR?? :lol3:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »
Joab,

My recollection of the Jill/Thomas Beds DETOUR is hazy, but I believe that they were having difficulty with Beds and did not wish to take the risk of being unable to complete it and finishing last if they did not use their Express Pass.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2010, 08:35:07 AM »
I haven't re-wached the episode yet - but I think TPTB pulled some flight shenanigans. They never mentioned Stockholm at all and made it seem that the flights went directly from Frankfurt to Kiruna - which couldn't have happened - there are no direct flights.
Here are the flight details AFAIK:

All Teams - From (ACC) Accra to FRA Frankfurt LH 567 Lufthansa 21:55 22:03 Landed On-time 333 06:38

Early Teams - From FRA Frankfurt to ARN Stockholm LH 3000 Lufthansa 07:35 07:47 T-1 A Landed On-time 319 09:45
Late Teams - From FRA Frankfurt to ARN Stockholm LH 3002 Lufthansa 09:50 09:55 T-1 A Landed On-time 319 11:51

Early Teams - From ARN Stockholm to KRN Kiruna SK 1042 SAS - Scandinavian Airlines 11:05 11:07 T-4 Landed On-time 736 12:31
Late Teams - From ARN Stockholm to KRN Kiruna SK 1044 SAS - Scandinavian Airlines 13:10 13:25 T-4 Landed On-time 736 14:40
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
Note to future contestants:

If the clue says you may use the provided flight or take an earlier flight, if available, THERE IS AN EARLIER FLIGHT.  :tup:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:19 AM »
I think those are the right flights. The editors let us think Nat/Kat were sharing the information at the internet cafe (I've shrunk the picture, but it details flights 1044/3002), but that's Claire's wristband.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »
Joab,

My recollection of the Jill/Thomas Beds DETOUR is hazy, but I believe that they were having difficulty with Beds and did not wish to take the risk of being unable to complete it and finishing last if they did not use their Express Pass.

Sigh, apskip.. can you try and digest this better -

And speaking of Jill and Thomas, at that circumstance when they're around with no teams and have no idea how long it will take to build the tent, it was definitely a smart choice to use it. BUT, because the other teams suck at SLEDS.. it became a bad move because they could have built the tent and still come in 6th.. (Nick and Vicki will move up to 5th)

I really don't know what else to say. :duno:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
I haven't re-wached the episode yet - but I think TPTB pulled some flight shenanigans. They never mentioned Stockholm at all and made it seem that the flights went directly from Frankfurt to Kiruna - which couldn't have happened - there are no direct flights.
Here are the flight details AFAIK:

All Teams - From (ACC) Accra to FRA Frankfurt LH 567 Lufthansa 21:55 22:03 Landed On-time 333 06:38

Early Teams - From FRA Frankfurt to ARN Stockholm LH 3000 Lufthansa 07:35 07:47 T-1 A Landed On-time 319 09:45
Late Teams - From FRA Frankfurt to ARN Stockholm LH 3002 Lufthansa 09:50 09:55 T-1 A Landed On-time 319 11:51

Early Teams - From ARN Stockholm to KRN Kiruna SK 1042 SAS - Scandinavian Airlines 11:05 11:07 T-4 Landed On-time 736 12:31
Late Teams - From ARN Stockholm to KRN Kiruna SK 1044 SAS - Scandinavian Airlines 13:10 13:25 T-4 Landed On-time 736 14:40

walkingpneumonia,

See my analysis of this in AR17 flight Information thread. It's essentially the same as yours. LH567 landed 8 minutes late at 638 (thanks for the correction Dr. Rox; I had carried the minutes over from actual departure time erroneously). With the 638am actual time, negotiating a transfer in notorious for connections problems Frankfurt airport would have allowed 67 minutes.  It is possible that the first group of teams took DY3761 dep. ARN 1030 arr. KRN 1155 to add an extra 0.60 hours onto the advantage you show of 2.15 hours.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:37:53 AM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
My flight tracker program also shows LH567 arriving at FRA at 638......3 minutes late from scheduled time. It really doesnt make any difference, since we know all 4 teams made the early connection to ARN. Maybe WP and I use the same program....It shows the FRA/ARN flight leaving at 1045, for total of 67 minutes of transit time.

Offline furybaby

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
Well I think it's very nice to see many people like Micheal, Mallory, Kat, etc. to have fun during the doggy thing  :hearts:
I just don't really like Rachel And Katie in my opnion, or at least I don't have the urge to

Nuuuuuu bye bye Connor, Jonathan  :'(
Imperfection is beautiful.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
All of my favorite teams got on the first flight! :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »

Am i the only one who thinks Nick and Vicki are really a cute couple around here?! :lol:

I really like Nat and Kat and Gary and Mallory. Nick and Vicki, Michael and Kevin and Brooke and Claire are in the middle pack.. with me feeling neutral towards Jill and Thomas, Chad and Stephanie and Katie and Rachel (slipped down).

And i think i enjoy watching Chad and Stephanie more than Jill and Thomas.. Jill and Thomas, i don't know.. are kinda boring.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2010, 08:15:01 PM »

Am i the only one who thinks Nick and Vicki are really a cute couple around here?! :lol:

I really like Nat and Kat and Gary and Mallory. Nick and Vicki, Michael and Kevin and Brooke and Claire are in the middle pack.. with me feeling neutral towards Jill and Thomas, Chad and Stephanie and Katie and Rachel (slipped down).

And i think i enjoy watching Chad and Stephanie more than Jill and Thomas.. Jill and Thomas, i don't know.. are kinda boring.

My favorite team is Nat & Kat but I also like Michael & Kevin, Brook & Claire and Gary & Mallory.  Behind them are Nick & Vicky, Katie & Rachel, Jill & Thomas and Chad & Stephanie.  I don't really hate any of them like I hated some teams from other seasons -- yet.

Belle Book

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »
Two good episodes in a row.  :tup: Haven't seen that in a while.
Trivia: the pennants they grabbed during the dogsled run were the Sami flag and its constituent colors.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
Possible where they stayed??

OFF PISTE ABOVE THE ARCTIC CIRCLE

Riksgransen (46-980-400-80; www.riksgransen.nu) is more than 130 miles north of the Arctic Circle, in Lapland on the Sweden-Norway border. Most visitors arrive by flying into Kiruna, Sweden, then taking the train or a bus shuttle (less than two hours). A car isn’t necessary. There are also airports about 35 miles west, in both Narvik and Harstad/Evenes, Norway. Note: Many intra-Europe carriers now charge extra for skis.

A good Web site for train information and reservations from Sweden is www.bokatag.se. Bus transfer details on the Swedish side: www.ltnbd.se. For trains from Norway: www.nsb.no.

The season here is mid-February until the end of June. Easter weeks are always fully booked so plan at least six months in advance for those times. Midnight-sun skiing begins on weekends starting around May 10. Lift tickets cost 310 kronor ($36.21 at 8.56 kronor to the dollar). From about Easter through June the entire resort is often sold out on weekends.

Heli-skiing is offered in packages of one to three runs (the latter the most economical; 1,395 to 2,195 kronor).

WHERE TO STAY

The smartest rooms are at the two-year-old, 14-room Meteorologen Ski Lodge (46-73-503-24-17; www.meteorologen.se). Doubles range from 1,600 to 4,000 kronor per night, including breakfast.

The large Hotel Riksgransen, next door, has 170 rooms in a variety of sizes. The hotel also has a spa. Doubles range from 900 kronor, low season without breakfast, to 3,400 kronor with breakfast in high season.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/travel/07arctic.html?pagewanted=2
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Blob

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2010, 05:24:52 AM »
On the dog race, what is the thing they are riding on? Its not a quad bike, but it looks like it a strange go-cart that has been pimped

Any info from you amazing tar detectives?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
On the dog race, what is the thing they are riding on? Its not a quad bike, but it looks like it a strange go-cart that has been pimped

Any info from you amazing tar detectives?

During the episode, I believe Phil said they were using training dog sleds with wheels that they used to train the husky pups.

Offline Blob

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »
Well, to me they dont look like sleds. Sleds dont have Bicycle Steering, and the wheels look strange. There must be something under all that pimping

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
And Chad and Stephanie.. Chad broke down for around 5mins on the show.. and then he was all good to Stephanie again. I'm liking Chad and Stephanie BETTER than Jill and Thomas. So much more better.
I agree.  Chad can be a bit much sometimes, but he admits when he's wrong and realized he was too hard on Stephanie.  And there's something fun and entertaining about them.  Compared to Jill & Thomas, at least.  Jill's very sweet and nice, and I actually like her a lot, but Thomas has this passive-aggressiveness in the way he talks to and deals with Jill that I don't like at all.