Author Topic: TAR 18 Pre-Race Speculation  (Read 90922 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »
I still grieve for our "lost" Tanzanian leg!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
Another problem from TARAS was that teams were cast who weren't true "All Stars". If you cast this season with teams who all made it to the final 4-5 of their season, then you have the potential for an unbelievably exciting race.

That is why I have a problem using the term "Allstars".  I think some of the most interesting teams to watch might be ones who DIDN'T get to the end the first time around...Think of a team like Garrett and Jessica...smart, well traveled, good with languages...and then went out first (okay, second)...who knows how they might do given a second chance?  I do want to see teams with a fire to RACE and really play the game though, regardless of what position they went out in before.

This really says it all for me:

All Stars can be good IF we have people who truly love the race and love another opportunity.

If you load this thing up with 11 teams who have hopefully learned a little about the race and want another opportunity, then we could be on to something.

If you load it up with teams who think they're back because the world loves them and wants to see them make it into show business, then you are going to have a problem.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
Another problem from TARAS was that teams were cast who weren't true "All Stars". If you cast this season with teams who all made it to the final 4-5 of their season, then you have the potential for an unbelievably exciting race.

I don't agree that "All-Star" teams are the ones who made it the furthest in the race. I think an "All-Star" Amazing Race team is one that performed well (regardless of how far they went), had the drive to win, enjoyed the experience, and developed or maintained a strong relationship with each other throughout. The All-Stars should indeed be the "best of the best", but there were some teams that could have been ruthlessly strong who fell out too early due to things that were outside of their control. I just don't think placings can be a reliable indicator of actual team strength as so many varied factors play a role in how far into the race a team actually gets.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
This All-Stars is like HvV on Survivor (10 yr Anniversary right?). Well that was a great season imo. I like All-Stars so I hope people don't give up too soon! And Peach, this sounds like a def go... from what you said in Post 21 right?!

And also, will it feature only teams from TAR12- or can the likes of Colin and Christie return? If this season won't be All-Stars 2 but they need a All-Stars name "Best of the Best" fits and Colin and Christie are arguably one of the greatest teams ever. Just wondered if your comment about it being 12 on was right or not?  :tup:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:41:18 PM by Kiwi Jay »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:21 PM »
Glad there is a TAR18! BUT...didn't think they'd be bringing back former racers so soon! Might they be celebrating TAR's 10th Anniversary or something? It's a little early considering 10 years would have been official come September 5, 2011 (the next Fall season)...

Or if you want to be technical, they would mark March 8th as the true 10th anniversary since they actually started racing live.  Chances are that date would fall inside TAR18's run.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »
Can't we just call it a former racers edition? The reason why TARAS was underwhelming because most of the teams chosen could not live up to the All Stars moniker.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 01:00:39 AM »
Colin and Christie are arguably one of the greatest teams ever.

I would love to see this team again. Christie only did ONE roadblock that last time and she took 4 HOURS to do it. She didnt even help Colin with the ox. Under the new Roadbock rules, she is going to have big time problems. Also the flights now are dictated by Production....so there goes Colin's ability to work the flights. Colin was great!!  But this is a two person team race now.....

And I like the idea of calling it Former Racers Edition...

Carissa is all grown up now.....so would be fun to see Tammy/Carissa on the race too.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:14:43 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 02:06:32 AM »
I still grieve for our "lost" Tanzanian leg!!

What was it about? I thought there was a leg in Tanzania right?

I don't like Colin & Christie, but would love a Tammy/Carissa or Bill/Billy race. Colin's a jerk.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »
Carissa is all grown up now.....so would be fun to see Tammy/Carissa on the race too.

I think you'll have to wait for two more AS before that :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »
Is there ANY... possibility that Ken and Tina could be racing this season? I really liked them in TAR13, they really grew on me but since the race is starting soon and K&T are doing the charity circuit things, is there no possibility?  :(
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 06:40:28 AM »
For those who do not recall, in AR11 the unexpected major flight problems from Maputo to Dar-Es-Salaam made some teams nearly 2 days behind. The intended pit stop of that leg was Arusha near Mount Kilimanjaro (which just happens to have an excellent international airport for flying out to Europe.). Phil had to be repositioned to have the pit stop in Stone Town on Zanzibar Island. We'll never know what we missed, but I found the tasks on Zanzibar Island quite interesting.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
For those who do not recall, in AR11 the unexpected major flight problems from Maputo to Dar-Es-Salaam made some teams nearly 2 days behind. The intended pit stop of that leg was Arusha near Mount Kilimanjaro (which just happens to have an excellent international airport for flying out to Europe.). Phil had to be repositioned to have the pit stop in Stone Town on Zanzibar Island. We'll never know what we missed, but I found the tasks on Zanzibar Island quite interesting.
was that the episode with the super long boat ride?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline gsrqh

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »
Some interesting dates concerning Jet and Cord......

The Professional Bull Riders Finals in Vegas are Oct 20-25th, 2110. The National Finals Rodeo is also in Vegas from Dec 2 to Dec 11th, 2110.

Didn't they skip the December rodeo to do TAR last year? I know that TAR was filming during that time, and I'm pretty sure the rodeo was at that time as well.

I remember Maria and Tiffany skipped the WSOP to do their edition of the Race.

Does anyone know if Ken and Tina have said that they don't want to do TAR again? For some reason, I thought that I had seen a quote where they said something along the lines of, "we loved the race and are grateful for it, but one time is enough." Am I mistaken on this one?

Don't forget Cord is getting married in November.   I highly doubt he'd change that!

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
All my friends and TAR discussion groups that I email are in consensus.  Apparently I am not the only one who thought all-stars was a bust and are not looking forward to a repeat. When I brought the subject up about 18 being past racers there was a lot of disappointment.  So I guess we will skip 18.  I hope it lives up to all your expectations and you enjoy all your past favorites.  I will catch up with you on 19 if it comes to fruition.  Have fun.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »
I've said how I feel... I like ordinary folk.

but I would never give up on TAR so soon...always give it a chance! If you feel the same way after an episode or two, fair enough...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »
If 18 is a former racers TAR, then my thanks to you Peach for the heads up.  The all stars was a complete bust for me.  Everybody had changed from their loveable and not so loveable selves in the all stars.  Just about every team on that race I truly enjoyed their first time around.  But all I saw on the All Stars was a bunch of fuddie duddies.  I won't repeat that disappointment again.  With this heads up I can skip 18.  Thanks! :<)

This.  Too many teams changed their "character" for the All Star Race.

Also, in retrospect, I wish I had never peeked at Puddin's boot list.  Determining eliminations through detective work is one thing, a boot list is another.

If they do have an All-Stars race, I hope the race route is made up of classic road blocks, detours, and pitstops.  Sort of an All Star race course.  I think I could go for that.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

Also, in retrospect, I wish I had never peeked at Puddin's boot list.  Determining eliminations through detective work is one thing, a boot list is another.

If they do have an All-Stars race, I hope the race route is made up of classic road blocks, detours, and pitstops.  Sort of an All Star race course.  I think I could go for that.

I wish I'd never peeked at the boot list either (although it was on a different website, I think).  I hated seeing that John Vito & Jill were the first team out!

I'd give a second All-Stars Race a chance, as long as the teams were better.

Belle Book

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »
What does this mean?  It's happening tomorrow.

eta.  I just saw this info posted in another thread.  A mod may delete this if desired.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:34:11 AM by Pedaler »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »
It could be for the next TAR?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »
If you go to both sites mentioned and find the TAR pages at each, this is what you'll find.

The CBS Philadelphia station has a eglibility statement (file name labeled The Amazing Race 20" in part, and a genernic TAR video release statement that's not tied any particular edition of TAR. The hotel site is hosting a copy of the TAR 17 application only (but not the other documents found at the other site.)

Conclusion?  Your guess is as good as mind at this point, but it does suggest that perhaps CBS is revamping its application paperwork for future editions of TAR.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 06:36:19 AM »
I'd be pretty sure Kynt and Vyxsin would be back??!! Ken and Tina would be great
I'd take them in a heartbeat, not the overly-dominant, one-dimensional bores who beat them.

K2Review

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
As we head into October, just a reminder that Phil is riding in the MS Ride in Southern California the weekend of 10/16-10/17.  It would seem to me that all detectives should be on guard at any point after that to figure out when the TAR 18 racers are off.

It should be pretty easy to spoil the cast this time since it's expected to be all returning racers!

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »
And the fact that a lot of the tasks were either (1) lame or (2) offensive to the point of possible racism -- the Hong Kong leg, for example.

I'd really hope they bring back at least a couple of teams from pre-TAR11, even if the focus is on newer teams. We've gotten old cast members (even if only Fairplay) in both FvF and HvV on Survivor, so it's definitely not without precedent. Ken & Gerard coming back would be made of epic win.

Offline Benedicto

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • OMG....Natalie...Prayer Warriors Prevails <3
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
K

My Suggestion would be:

Ronald/Christina
Nathan/Jennifer [I hope they don't separate  :'( ]
Kynt/Vyxsin
Ken/Tina
Jaime/Cara
Kisha/Jen
Christie/Jodi
Brian/Ericka
Maria/Tiffany
Carol/Brandy
Brook/Claire
Gary/Mallory
I'M ON THE EDGE WITH YOU

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »

Brook/Claire

If this is indeed a former-racers race, Brook and Claire might not be there (if they are likeable) because Claire swallowed a watermelon seed.

Claire's pregnant. It's pretty hard to race with a watermelon in your belly...