Author Topic: TAR 18 Media  (Read 68411 times)

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 18 Media
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
 :tup:  Wow! Even CNET has recognized the TAR Detectives!  Great online story by techie columnist Daniel Terdiman.  WTG, Boingo!  :yess:

Here's a link to the story ---> How online tools spoil reality show secrets

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:58:19 PM by TarJunkie999 »

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »
At the moment, I'd say that the only places in the Arab world that might be safe enough for TAR are Kuwait and Jordan; even Israel would be safer than the rest of the Arab world right now. Even Morocco is off the map.

There has been protests in both Kuwait and Jordan. especially in Jordan, where even the royal regime might be in some danger. The only Arab countries that are relatively safe for now are Qatar and UAE (meaning Abu Dhabi, Dubai).
Nothing has been heard for Syria, but there was no way Americans would go there and it's a pity because is one of my favourite countries.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
I havent heard anything about unrest in Oman either.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2011, 12:17:17 AM »
At the moment, I'd say that the only places in the Arab world that might be safe enough for TAR are Kuwait and Jordan; even Israel would be safer than the rest of the Arab world right now. Even Morocco is off the map.

There has been protests in both Kuwait and Jordan. especially in Jordan, where even the royal regime might be in some danger. The only Arab countries that are relatively safe for now are Qatar and UAE (meaning Abu Dhabi, Dubai).
Nothing has been heard for Syria, but there was no way Americans would go there and it's a pity because is one of my favourite countries.

While there have been demonstrations in both Jordan and Kuwait, the underlying political pressures are quite different in both of those countries than in much of the rest of the Arab world.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »
Love the timing on this. :groan:

I had actually heard some strong rumors that there was going to finally be another Egypt leg this time around...no surprises here.

Tunisia would be a no-go as well.
Peach do we happen to know what season skipped argentina and went South Africa?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
It almost has to be Season 2, right?

Season 1 was obviously planned.

Season 2 went Brazil>>So Africa, Argentina would have gone nicely there.
             was filmed Jan 2002
             Argentina was in turmoil in December:
             http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/americas/12/19/argentina.riots/
             some of the tasks there seemed a little simplistic

Season 7 went to Argentina AND So Africa...

did I miss any??

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
Season 2 makes a lot of sense.....there was so much confusion at the Sao Paulo airport to get to S Africa. Tar 11 did Argentina and later Southern Africa....but I think they just went through J'burg on the way to Maputo, Mozembique.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »
The season with the route change was season two. They had planned to have teams go from Rio to Buenos Aires, but changed it due to the financial crisis and protests over it, and the fact that the rate of hyperinflation in Argentina at the time made its currency essentially worthless, and would have made it difficult for teams to exchange currency in Argentina for any tasks or movement there.

I had been under the impression that they had changed the Brazil leg to two legs to deal with the problem of Argentina, but this is the first time I've heard that they had actually decided to send teams to South Africa immediately, instead.

I also recall that the problems teams had that season in Rio and Sao Paulo was that the only direct flight was every other day, and that the next day's flights were sold out and oversold, in fact, so that teams could not use a waiting list for the flight.  That's what set up the crazy fly-to-northern-hemisphere-and- Europe in order to get to South Africa routing the teams used, and how the Grannies made their fatal error flying back to JFK before Heathrow.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
  News Flash:  Mallory seen on TMZ today, she said "Hi", then they showed the "watermelon-in-the-face" clip from last season, everyone laughed, Harvey was as stupid as he always was.  End of story.  *yawn*  

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »
Harsh words for Episode 6 from the Onion A.V. Club re-cap:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/i-feel-like-a-monkey-in-a-circus-parade-kolkata-in,53666/

I'm not sure what their beef is about Snapple; TAR traditionally has had among the highest product placements of any show on television; and personally I was impressed by the planning that was involved to have tasks in two countries tied to the same product (and the flavor) and be cultural meaningful. I'm sure there's a behind-the-scenes story about how TPTB got Snapple involved, or the other way around, and I hope we get to hear it sometime.
-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
From The Onion A.V. Club recap of Episode 9
Remember when Michael and Kevin had to sit on blocks of ice for ten minutes? Well, that feat looks like scaling the Matterhorn in comparison to this one, as Gary and Mallory simply have to prepare the fuel mixture for their bike in the right proportion. This couldn’t have taken more than two minutes, which makes me wonder why they even bother with these Speed Bumps in the first place.

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
 :umn: Found this rather obscure chart in "The Atlantic", plotting Primetime TV shows as regards Political party affiliations vs. Voter turnout.

According to this, TAR rates as having a Democratic skew with higher voter turnout.   :duno:

Puts it in the company of shows such as 20/20 and Dateline.  :res:  huh?   :groan:  and I thought it was a reality/entertainment show.  Really?!?    :ascared   (:;)   :lol:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:31 AM »
:umn: Found this rather obscure chart in "The Atlantic", plotting Primetime TV shows as regards Political party affiliations vs. Voter turnout.

According to this, TAR rates as having a Democratic skew with higher voter turnout.   :duno:

Puts it in the company of shows such as 20/20 and Dateline.  :res:  huh?   :groan:  and I thought it was a reality/entertainment show.  Really?!?    :ascared   (:;)   :lol:

I think what's more amusing is that Celebrity Apprentice has the biggest Democratic skew when Donald Trump is rumored to be lining up for the Republicans in 2012

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
COPS is pretty funny too.............in very low voter turnout...... I would suspect most of the viewers are convicted felons and cant vote.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »
On page 71 of the May 6th issue of Entertainment Weekly

SEASON FINALE

8-10pm

The Amazing Race

CBS HD

This season, 11 teams who lost their first Race returned...and mostly made the same old mistakes. Father-daughter duo Ron and Christina still couldn't communicate with each other; the ginger-haired cheerleaders still couldn't communicate with cabbies. We don't know which four teams will make it to tonight's two-hour finale, but we're betting on witty best friends Zev and Justin for the win. (just hold on to your passports this time, guys!)

-Darren Franich 

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »
Totally unrelated, but a weird coincidence none the less.   :lol:  TMZ did a story today about LA waxing salons, and the controversial practice of "double dipping" (the re-use of wax from previous sessions).  This has supposedly resulted in reported cases of HPV and herpes among some clients.  :ascared

Makes you wonder if the TAR racers should be worried of their "Brazilian" wax experience.  Not sure if they have laws against "double dipping" south of the border.   :groan:  Life is truly strange.   :lol3:  :snicker:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
Amazing Race Finale: Which Team Will Win?

They came. They raced. They're exhausted.

After racing around the world, the cast of the Amazing Race: Unfinished Business took a moment to relax at the Amazing Race 10-year anniversary bash in Miami on Saturday.

Sitting poolside at the Loews Hotel, the final four teams laughed and chatted with PEOPLE about their Race experience – though all were careful not to give away Sunday's results.

Zev Glassenberg and Justin Kanew

After being disqualified during their previous season for losing their passports, the best friends tell PEOPLE they're just happy to have made the final episode. "The whole experience has been great," says Kanew, 31. "Just the whole adventure. We've gotten to do a lot of things that people just don't get a chance to do."

And the one creepy side? "People think they know us, which can be weird," says Glassenberg, 28. "They don't know us; they know what they've seen about us on TV."

Glassenberg, who has Asperger's syndrome, has gotten positive feedback from the Autism community. "They've been really supportive," he says, "That feels really, really good."

LaKisha Hoffman and Jen Hoffman

In season 14, the sisters were eliminated after Jen made a pit stop at a restroom. (She had drunk too much water.) This season, the sisters have played a nearly flawless game, and they think their sisterly bond is the secret to their success.

"This was the hardest race ever," says LaKisha, 30. "They knew we were all-stars, so they made it tough from the start. But we tried to keep our cool and just focus; we tried to work together, not fight."

"Yeah, I cussed [host] Phil [Koeghan] out a couple of times," laughs Jen, 26. "But we came to have fun, and we really did."

Despite their fun, the Hoffman sisters aren't going to sign up for a third season. "We're tired. We're so tired," says Jen. "I think it's time to just be normal."

Herb "Flight Time" Lang and Nate "Big Easy" Lofton

Even the Harlem Globetrotter teammates – people who run around for a living – tell PEOPLE that they had to bring their A-game to the race. "What people don't understand is that the race is non-stop," says Flight Time, 34. "It doesn't let up for four weeks. We had high points and low points just like all teams."

"We loved doing the show both seasons," says Big Easy, 29. "Even at its low points, it was just an experience that we were really lucky to have. We were fans of the show; we weren't recruited. We applied. So we were happy to be chosen twice."

Most importantly, which country has the best-looking women? "Brazil, definitely," says Flight Time, without hesitation. "There's no doubt."

"I've been to 65 countries," says Big Easy. "It's impossible to choose."

Gary Ervin and Mallory Ervin

The bubbly beauty queen and her easygoing dad didn't think twice about competing in the race for a second time. "I got the call," says Mallory, 25, "and I went to see my dad, and asked, 'What is the best thing that could possibly happen to us?' And he said, 'The Amazing Race called and wants us to do an all-star season!' "

How was the race a second time around? "It was really hard," says Gary, 53. "And there were times that we got a little testy with each other. But it has been wonderful to do something like this with my daughter."

"Of course I want to win," says Mallory, "but I really feel like we won already, to be able to do the race twice."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20487925,00.html

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster