Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: TAR 18 Media  (Read 28236 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 18 Media
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2011, 01:41:29 AM »
`Amazing Race' 18 goes high and wide
BY GAIL PENNINGTON — St. Louis Post-Dispatch | Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:00 am |

Phil Keoghan will need a much bigger hair and makeup trailer now that "The Amazing Race" is finally, for its 18th edition, in high definition.

Suggest that possibility to Keoghan, and you'll get the famous raised eyebrow. (It's the left. The right goes nowhere.)

In 18 runs around the world for "The Amazing Race," Keoghan has curled up at the Pyramids in Egypt and shampooed his hair beside a road in China. Between "Race" seasons, he bicycled from Los Angeles to New York, picking up a load of gravel in his hip and face in a scary fall. As a man who wastes no opportunity for adventure, he isn't inclined to think too much about whether his nose is shiny.

While teams race for $1 million, Keoghan races to keep one step ahead and arrive on the mat before they do. Last winter, he spent 23 days on the road with contestants he already knew, as 11 teams who didn't win the first time returned to settle what's being called "Unfinished Business."

"Going out with a new cast is always a gamble," Keoghan said during a recent visit to St. Louis. "You worry they'll turn out to be wishy-washy."

With returning teams, "We had more of a guarantee, because these people had a proven track record. But rather than all-star teams, it's more like they have all-star stories — the unfortunate pee break, the lost passport, the bad taxi driver."

Oh, the bad taxi driver.

"Taxis!" Keoghan says. "They've been hands-down the biggest obstacle teams have faced in the race."

Eliminating a team is always tough, he says, "but this time maybe it was even harder because I knew them better. The first elimination is always the hardest, because nobody wants to be first to go."

The big news for the new season is that "The Amazing Race" is now in high-def.

"HD is a dramatic change," Keoghan says. "And I really think it's come at the right time, giving us something new to talk about, something to sell the show around after 17 seasons."

Possibly TV's most HD-worthy show, "The Amazing Race" has been criticized for remaining in standard definition.

"But that was because of the difficulty of producing a show like this," Keoghan says. "It's not the same as being in a studio. We're shooting in humidity, in rain, in dust storms. What if you're in Bangladesh and the camera goes down?"

The good news is that "we found a way to execute in HD, and the show looks sensational." A change to widescreen format also allows space for more information on screen, without blocking too much scenery, while Keoghan talks about where the teams are or what they're doing.

But remember, before you ask how he keeps busy when the teams are running around, that "95 percent of what I do is behind the scenes — rewriting the script, dealing with logistics, setting up my shots. It's just me, a sound guy and a cameraman, so it's hard."

This season, Keoghan shot a lot of behind-the-scenes footage for segments to air online.

"Viewers are really savvy, and they want to know the process," he says. "The behind-the-scenes segments will give fans a sense of what it takes to make the show and what the teams are doing when you're not seeing them."

Some things never change, though, and that includes teams' struggles to read maps and drive stick-shift foreign cars.

Surely, by now, the "Unfinished Business" teams learned to drive a stick?

"Some people," Keoghan says, "I don't think will ever learn to drive a stick shift."

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/article_2fd325d1-9c98-5755-9d6e-fa0dd0d8b80f.html
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:30 AM »
http://www.goldderby.com/television/news/1163/can-losing-contestants-win-the-amazing-race-an-eighth-emmy.html

Can losing contestants win 'The Amazing Race' an eighth Emmy?

Last year, the seven-year winning streak of "The Amazing Race" at the Emmy Awards was halted when "Top Chef" won Best Reality Competition Series. That this CBS staple lost was a surprise in itself but that it was not beaten by ratings powerhouse "American Idol" came as the real shocker.  That hugely popular talent show had never won this award but was thought to have its strongest entry ever with the season finale that included a surprisingly touching tribute to departing judge Simon Cowell.
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2011, 03:45:06 AM »
`Amazing Race' 18 goes high and wide

Phil Keoghan will need a much bigger hair and makeup trailer now that "The Amazing Race" is finally, for its 18th edition, in high definition.
Suggest that possibility to Keoghan, and you'll get the famous raised eyebrow. (It's the left. The right goes nowhere.)

In 18 runs around the world for "The Amazing Race," Keoghan has curled up at the Pyramids in Egypt and shampooed his hair beside a road in China. Between "Race" seasons, he bicycled from Los Angeles to New York, picking up a load of gravel in his hip and face in a scary fall. As a man who wastes no opportunity for adventure, he isn't inclined to think too much about whether his nose is shiny.

While teams race for $1 million, Keoghan races to keep one step ahead and arrive on the mat before they do. Last winter, he spent 23 days on the road with contestants he already knew, as 11 teams who didn't win the first time returned to settle what's being called "Unfinished Business."
"Going out with a new cast is always a gamble," Keoghan said during a recent visit to St. Louis. "You worry they'll turn out to be wishy-washy."

With returning teams, "We had more of a guarantee, because these people had a proven track record. But rather than all-star teams, it's more like they have all-star stories — the unfortunate pee break, the lost passport, the bad taxi driver."
Oh, the bad taxi driver.
"Taxis!" Keoghan says. "They've been hands-down the biggest obstacle teams have faced in the race."

Eliminating a team is always tough, he says, "but this time maybe it was even harder because I knew them better. The first elimination is always the hardest, because nobody wants to be first to go."
The big news for the new season is that "The Amazing Race" is now in high-def.
"HD is a dramatic change," Keoghan says. "And I really think it's come at the right time, giving us something new to talk about, something to sell the show around after 17 seasons."
Possibly TV's most HD-worthy show, "The Amazing Race" has been criticized for remaining in standard definition.

"But that was because of the difficulty of producing a show like this," Keoghan says. "It's not the same as being in a studio. We're shooting in humidity, in rain, in dust storms. What if you're in Bangladesh and the camera goes down?"

The good news is that "we found a way to execute in HD, and the show looks sensational." A change to widescreen format also allows space for more information on screen, without blocking too much scenery, while Keoghan talks about where the teams are or what they're doing.
But remember, before you ask how he keeps busy when the teams are running around, that "95 percent of what I do is behind the scenes — rewriting the script, dealing with logistics, setting up my shots. It's just me, a sound guy and a cameraman, so it's hard."

This season, Keoghan shot a lot of behind-the-scenes footage for segments to air online.
"Viewers are really savvy, and they want to know the process," he says. "The behind-the-scenes segments will give fans a sense of what it takes to make the show and what the teams are doing when you're not seeing them."

Some things never change, though, and that includes teams' struggles to read maps and drive stick-shift foreign cars.

Surely, by now, the "Unfinished Business" teams learned to drive a stick?

"Some people," Keoghan says, "I don't think will ever learn to drive a stick shift."

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/article_2fd325d1-9c98-5755-9d6e-fa0dd0d8b80f.html
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • SWF seeking well anything at this point
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
Herc’s Seen Goths, Globetrotters, Cowboys, Cheerleaders, An Aspergers Guy, A Deaf Fellow, A Miss Kentucky and Filmmaker Mike White Return For Tonight's First HD AMAZING RACE!!
Published on: Feb 20, 2011 12:38:03 AM CST

I am – Hercules!!

Though this is the first HD edition of “The Amazing Race,” CBS only forwarded a SD screener. Ah well.

“This is Palm Springs, California!” begins Phil Keoghan at the start of what proves a compelling first hour. “Built in a rugged valley, it is the second windiest place on earth! It’s a city on the forefront of modern energy technology!”

All teams in this 18th edition, titled “Unfinished Business,” lost prior races. There are a couple of surprising omissions. Popular “Big Brother” power couple Jordan Lloyd and Jeff "It Hurts!" Schroeder aren’t aboard, nor are “Survivor” vets Rob Mariano and Amber Brkish. (Mariano, who lost twice on “Amazing Race” and three times on “Survivor,” is currently on yet another edition of “Survivor,” pursuing the sixth chance CBS has given him to win a million dollars.)

Even though actual Globetrotters Flight Time and Big Easy are in this race, both members of Team Aspergers wear licensed Harlem Globetrotter active wear.

“This race is going to be very, very different, starting right now,” Phil warns the contestants before the race has begun. “As you all know, second chances don’t come free.”

Spoilers lurk in the text invisible.

The first task takes place near the starting line in Palm Springs. It’s overcast and raining a bit and everybody, Phil included, looks like they’re freezing their hinders off.

Screenwriter-actor-director Mike White (“Freaks & Geeks,” “Chuck & Buck,” “School of Rock”) takes an early lead.

Destination one is Australia. (At one point contestants get to ride the almost-oxymoronic Manly Ferry.)

A shocking bit of real-world crisis precipitates a major reversal of fortune for several of the teams.

LaKisha and Jennifer, the non-swimmers who were undone by an water challenge in their first season (and, yes, they are quick to point out that they embody an African-American stereotype), are again forced to confront an aquatic challenge.

Alliances prove unusually critical this week.

A surprise awaits all teams at the first finish line. And a surprise awaits viewers too: the first episode denies us the knowledge of who – if anyone – is eliminated on the first leg of the race.8

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48566

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Best FF Ever!
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
...And a surprise awaits viewers too: the first episode denies us the knowledge of who – if anyone – is eliminated on the first leg of the race.8

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48566

Ergo, TBC
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »
'Egypt is off the map for us'

By MICHAEL SHAIN

The brutal attack on CBS reporter Lara Logan during what was supposed to be a celebration in the main square of Cairo has other TV shows rethinking how they operate overseas.

"Egypt is off the map for us right now," says Phil Keoghan, host of "The Amazing Race."

Not surprising certainly, given the turmoil there and in nearby Arab countries like Bahrain and Tunisia.

But it is an issue that is suddenly front burner for a number of TV shows shot overseas.

"The Amazing Race" -- one of the longest- running reality shows on prime time and which started its latest season last night -- is based on the idea of exotic travel. And the world -- post-Logan -- suddenly seems a much scarier place for Americans abroad.

Phil Keoghan, host of "The Amazing Race," says the show depends on a network of security consultants around the world.
"There are certain countries off-limits right now," Keoghan says. "We're not going to go to Afghanistan right now."

At least once before, the "Race" had to make an adjustment in the middle of production to avoid a global hot spot.

The show -- which began in 2001, 10 days after 9/11 -- is based loosely on "Around the World in 80 Days." Teams of two people race each other around the world over a set course for a $1 million prize.

"We'd been to Argentina a number of times, but there was a time we were shooting and we heard there was some political unrest there," Keoghan says.

"It ended up not amounting to much, but rather than taking any risk at all, we decided: 'Let's just not go there.'"

The competitors skipped Argentina and headed instead for South Africa.

"We were going to Africa anyway and we just diverted there a little earlier," he recalled.

"We have consultants who work with the show," says Keoghan. "They'd be the same people working with the news departments -- companies that are security-risk management consultants."

The consultants -- usually ex-military men or retired federal agents -- form a network that keeps tabs on local conditions and advise businessmen, rich travelers and Hollywood production companies on when and where it's safe to go -- and how to get out of sticky situations, if things do not go according to plan.

"They're pretty common practice today," says Keoghan. "A lot of people are working with risk management teams and we're no exception.

"We absolutely rely on them."

He pauses and raps his knuckles on a desk top.

"Touch wood, 10 years on the road and we've got it right," he says.

It is an uncomfortable spot for producers to be in.

"Race" -- and a handful of shows like it -- try to portray the world as filled with people with exotic customs but essentially the same as you and me.

"We're almost the antithesis of news in that way," Keoghan says.

And that perception, too, is now threatened.

Planning is underway for the next edition of "Amazing Race" which will start taping this summer.

Is the entire Middle East out next time?

Keoghan smiles, but doesn't answer.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/egypt_is_off_the_map_for_us_AXg1cl2mLa1PJTzTs30ZLJ#ixzz1EepYLTOs
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
Love the timing on this. :groan:

I had actually heard some strong rumors that there was going to finally be another Egypt leg this time around...no surprises here.

Tunisia would be a no-go as well.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »
At the moment, I'd say that the only places in the Arab world that might be safe enough for TAR are Kuwait and Jordan; even Israel would be safer than the rest of the Arab world right now. Even Morocco is off the map.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
 :tup:  Wow! Even CNET has recognized the TAR Detectives!  Great online story by techie columnist Daniel Terdiman.  WTG, Boingo!  :yess:

Here's a link to the story ---> How online tools spoil reality show secrets

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:58:19 PM by TarJunkie999 »

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »
At the moment, I'd say that the only places in the Arab world that might be safe enough for TAR are Kuwait and Jordan; even Israel would be safer than the rest of the Arab world right now. Even Morocco is off the map.

There has been protests in both Kuwait and Jordan. especially in Jordan, where even the royal regime might be in some danger. The only Arab countries that are relatively safe for now are Qatar and UAE (meaning Abu Dhabi, Dubai).
Nothing has been heard for Syria, but there was no way Americans would go there and it's a pity because is one of my favourite countries.
Joab's TARA- Kiki & Co-racer. Hitting the BlackJack tables in Macau
Betty(2) & Matilda(2) 1,064.66MDL

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
I havent heard anything about unrest in Oman either.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2011, 12:17:17 AM »

There has been protests in both Kuwait and Jordan. especially in Jordan, where even the royal regime might be in some danger. The only Arab countries that are relatively safe for now are Qatar and UAE (meaning Abu Dhabi, Dubai).
Nothing has been heard for Syria, but there was no way Americans would go there and it's a pity because is one of my favourite countries.

While there have been demonstrations in both Jordan and Kuwait, the underlying political pressures are quite different in both of those countries than in much of the rest of the Arab world.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • SWF seeking well anything at this point
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »
Love the timing on this. :groan:

I had actually heard some strong rumors that there was going to finally be another Egypt leg this time around...no surprises here.

Tunisia would be a no-go as well.
Peach do we happen to know what season skipped argentina and went South Africa?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
It almost has to be Season 2, right?

Season 1 was obviously planned.

Season 2 went Brazil>>So Africa, Argentina would have gone nicely there.
             was filmed Jan 2002
             Argentina was in turmoil in December:
             http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/americas/12/19/argentina.riots/
             some of the tasks there seemed a little simplistic

Season 7 went to Argentina AND So Africa...

did I miss any??

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
Season 2 makes a lot of sense.....there was so much confusion at the Sao Paulo airport to get to S Africa. Tar 11 did Argentina and later Southern Africa....but I think they just went through J'burg on the way to Maputo, Mozembique.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »
The season with the route change was season two. They had planned to have teams go from Rio to Buenos Aires, but changed it due to the financial crisis and protests over it, and the fact that the rate of hyperinflation in Argentina at the time made its currency essentially worthless, and would have made it difficult for teams to exchange currency in Argentina for any tasks or movement there.

I had been under the impression that they had changed the Brazil leg to two legs to deal with the problem of Argentina, but this is the first time I've heard that they had actually decided to send teams to South Africa immediately, instead.

I also recall that the problems teams had that season in Rio and Sao Paulo was that the only direct flight was every other day, and that the next day's flights were sold out and oversold, in fact, so that teams could not use a waiting list for the flight.  That's what set up the crazy fly-to-northern-hemisphere-and- Europe in order to get to South Africa routing the teams used, and how the Grannies made their fatal error flying back to JFK before Heathrow.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
  News Flash:  Mallory seen on TMZ today, she said "Hi", then they showed the "watermelon-in-the-face" clip from last season, everyone laughed, Harvey was as stupid as he always was.  End of story.  *yawn*  

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »
Harsh words for Episode 6 from the Onion A.V. Club re-cap:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/i-feel-like-a-monkey-in-a-circus-parade-kolkata-in,53666/

I'm not sure what their beef is about Snapple; TAR traditionally has had among the highest product placements of any show on television; and personally I was impressed by the planning that was involved to have tasks in two countries tied to the same product (and the flavor) and be cultural meaningful. I'm sure there's a behind-the-scenes story about how TPTB got Snapple involved, or the other way around, and I hope we get to hear it sometime.
-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
From The Onion A.V. Club recap of Episode 9
Remember when Michael and Kevin had to sit on blocks of ice for ten minutes? Well, that feat looks like scaling the Matterhorn in comparison to this one, as Gary and Mallory simply have to prepare the fuel mixture for their bike in the right proportion. This couldn’t have taken more than two minutes, which makes me wonder why they even bother with these Speed Bumps in the first place.

Offline TarJunkie999

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
 :umn: Found this rather obscure chart in "The Atlantic", plotting Primetime TV shows as regards Political party affiliations vs. Voter turnout.

According to this, TAR rates as having a Democratic skew with higher voter turnout.   :duno:

Puts it in the company of shows such as 20/20 and Dateline.  :res:  huh?   :groan:  and I thought it was a reality/entertainment show.  Really?!?    :ascared   (:;)   :lol:

Offline #HEEL

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2011, 07:10:31 AM »
:umn: Found this rather obscure chart in "The Atlantic", plotting Primetime TV shows as regards Political party affiliations vs. Voter turnout.

According to this, TAR rates as having a Democratic skew with higher voter turnout.   :duno:

Puts it in the company of shows such as 20/20 and Dateline.  :res:  huh?   :groan:  and I thought it was a reality/entertainment show.  Really?!?    :ascared   (:;)   :lol:

I think what's more amusing is that Celebrity Apprentice has the biggest Democratic skew when Donald Trump is rumored to be lining up for the Republicans in 2012

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
COPS is pretty funny too.............in very low voter turnout...... I would suspect most of the viewers are convicted felons and cant vote.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • MY FAVORITE GUYS EVER, JAYMES & JAMES!
    • Facebook
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »
On page 71 of the May 6th issue of Entertainment Weekly

SEASON FINALE

8-10pm

The Amazing Race

CBS HD

This season, 11 teams who lost their first Race returned...and mostly made the same old mistakes. Father-daughter duo Ron and Christina still couldn't communicate with each other; the ginger-haired cheerleaders still couldn't communicate with cabbies. We don't know which four teams will make it to tonight's two-hour finale, but we're betting on witty best friends Zev and Justin for the win. (just hold on to your passports this time, guys!)

-Darren Franich 

Custom Search