Author Topic: Burnett looking for a Real Rock Star  (Read 3947 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Burnett looking for a Real Rock Star
« on: June 08, 2004, 02:24:34 PM »
HE'S AT IT AGAIN: Reality bigwig Mark Burnett is developing a rock 'n' roll version of American Idol, Variety reports. The show, which Burnett plans to pitch to the networks this week, will search for a crooner who could step in as the lead singer of an "existing, internationally known rock group" that no one has ever heard of.

From  http://tvguide.com/news/entertainment/040608.asp#E

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Burnett looking for a Real Rock Star
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:27:27 PM »
I had to go to the site to see for myself but it really does say an "internationally known rock group that no one has ever heard of".  Do you guys think that is a joke or someone not paying attention to what they are writing?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 02:38:08 PM »
I tried to access Variety magazine..I'm not paying for a subscription..no way..
This is all they will show us

Burnett looking for a real rock star
Skein searches for a crooner to step into an existing group

By JOSEF ADALIAN
 Reality titan Mark Burnett is getting ready to launch his own rock 'n' roll take on "American Idol" -- and he's recruited one of the Fox show's top producers to help him do it.... WANT TO READ THE WHOLE STORY? 

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117906125&categoryID=14&cs=1

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 07:10:53 PM »
Thanks to survivorfever~
Burnett looking for a real rock star (Variety.com 6.8.04)
Reality titan Mark Burnett is getting ready to launch his own rock 'n' roll take on "American Idol" -- and he's recruited one of the Fox show's top producers to help him do it. David Goffin, a three-year "American Idol" vet who most recently served as supervising producer of the hit Fox skein, has rejoined Mark Burnett Prods. He's in line to exec produce the new music-based project, which is expected to be pitched to networks within the next week.

http://www.realitytvfever.com/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 12:07:04 AM »
From MTV~

"Survivor" and "The Apprentice" mastermind Mark Burnett is developing a new reality series that gives contestants the chance to front '80s Australian rockers INXS. The show is described as a cooler version of "American Idol" with a bit of competition a la "The Apprentice." INXS' frontman, Michael Hutchence, hanged himself in 1997 ...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1488280/20040609/duff_hilary.jhtml?headlines=true

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:35:07 PM »

CBS Joins Reality Hunt for New INXS Singer
Thu Jun 24, 2004 04:46 AM ET

By Nellie Andreeva
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Four years after the launch of "Survivor," the show's chief, Mark Burnett, is reuniting with CBS in search of a rock star.

After a healthy bidding war, CBS has landed an untitled reality series described as a cross of "American Idol," "Big Brother" and "Survivor" set in the world of rock music.

It will feature aspiring musicians competing for the chance to become the new lead singer of Australian rock band INXS, a gig that opened up after the 1997 suicide of frontman Michael Hutchence.

After a multicontinent search with auditions in cities throughout the United States and Canada as well as London, Tokyo and INXS' hometown of Sydney, about a dozen male and female finalists will be selected to live together in a Hollywood Hills home.

The Mark Burnett Prods. series, set to premiere in summer 2005, will feature two hours of programming each week, a combination of taped segments that focus on the relationships between the contestants in the house, live performances and a weekly elimination determined by viewers, judges and INXS band members.

How the two hours will be broken down into broadcasts is yet to be determined.

The winner will embark on a worldwide concert tour with INXS and sing on the group's next album.

"INXS is one of the world's premier rock bands, and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for someone," Burnett said. "Rock stars are colorful personalities and charismatic performers who make great reality TV characters. Add to that a global format, elimination-style competition and the enormous stakes of becoming the lead singer in a successful group, and you have a unique environment for compelling unscripted drama."

In addition to his four-year relationship with CBS because of "Survivor," Burnett said he was attracted to the network for the new project because of the additional opportunities stemming from CBS' hosting of the Grammys and the network's sibling music-oriented cable and radio properties, including MTV and VH1.

"We think Mark and his team have developed a concept that will generate excitement worldwide, will appeal to a broad audience here in the States and has tremendous synergistic potential with other Viacom platforms to create a huge television event in the summer of '05," CBS' entertainment president Nancy Tellem said.

INXS, which formed in the late '70s, has had a half-dozen top 10 U.S. singles and sold more than 30 million albums worldwide. Following Hutchence's death, INXS has performed with guest vocalists Terence Trent D'Arby and Jon Stevens.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=televisionNews&storyID=5502151

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:57:53 AM »
This show would be worth watching.  I liked a lot of the INXS music.  One of the criteria is "the guy has to be cute"

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 01:58:41 AM »
And he has to look good in leather!!!