Author Topic: TAR 17 Media  (Read 45418 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 17 Media
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:55:41 AM »
All TAR 17 media, news, articles, press releases live here! :tup:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:33:20 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

arun1125

Re: TAR 17 Media
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
http://reality-tv-gossip.suite101.com/article.cfm/amazing-race-17-gets-started-in-gloucester-boston-massachusetts - Article, All the info sited from this website  great work team!

Credits to: ‘wenger15,’ ‘georgiapeach,’ and ‘Macaroons’

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »
That's from Stephen, he is a friend to RFF and does a great job!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
Just thought I should put this in here even though we already have it...

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local/x712223997/TVs-next-Amazing-Race-gets-Gloucester-start

TV's next 'Amazing Race' gets Gloucester start

By Jonathan L'Ecuyer Staff Writer

The helicopter with a camera affixed to its nose — and seen following a caravan of dark-colored SUVs and Smart Cars from high above Eastern Point on Wednesday — was no news chopper.

It apparently contained a film crew for CBS' "The Amazing Race," which began filming its 17th season in Gloucester Harbor.

Several teams of two, each pair donning different colored shirts, were bused to Jodrey State Fish Pier, loaded onto lobster boats, transported to the Eastern Point Yacht Club and sent on their way in Smart Cars to their first destination — Logan International Airport.

While an employee of the Yacht Club could only confirm that there was a "private function" held at the facility on Wednesday,  Joe Ciaramitaro, author of the GoodMorningGloucester blog, caught the contestants' departure from the state pier on camera and posted the video to the popular blog site, also accessible through the community blogs at gloucestertimes.com.

"I look out toward the fish pier every day and I noticed this big bus come through," Ciaramitaro said Thursday. "I just started taping because it was interesting."

Ciaramitaro captured the teams walking down the gangway and aboard a half dozen Gloucester fishing vessels: The Jennie C, No Excuses, Karen Lynn, Tuna.Com, Lady J, and Lady Lane.

The procession of boats headed out single file past the Paint Factory to Gloucester's Inner Harbor, where they passed the Greasy Pole and Hammond Castle en route to the Eastern Point Yacht Club. There, they disembarked and the race began, Ciaramitaro said.

Ciaramitaro's wife, Jill, and a few friends had just finished an exercise class on East Main Street when a pair of "Amazing Race" contestants, who found themselves stuck in road construction traffic just beyond Rocky Neck, rolled down their window and asked them for directions to Logan International Airport.

"When the car stopped, two cameramen popped out of the SUV which was right behind the man-and-woman race team, who were rolling separately in a Smart Car," he said. "The camera and a microphone were shoved in (Jill's) face and when she replied how to get to Logan, the team told her not to speak to anyone else."

Before the team could continue on their journey, his wife had to sign a release form acknowledging she may end up on the show, Ciaramitaro said. That would be fine with Jill, who is a fan of the reality show.

"She watches it religiously," Ciaramitaro said. "I'm a casual fan because I can't stay up that late because I get up at 3 a.m."

The show follows the teams of two people who have some form of pre-existing relationship as they race rival teams around the world. Contestants travel to and within several countries in a variety of transportation modes, and teams are continuously eliminated until just three remain. The team that first arrives at the final destination is awarded the $1 million grand prize.

Attempts to reach CBS publicists were not returned by press time Thursday. The show has been on American television since 2001 and has earned eight Emmy Awards, including all seven "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program" awards that have been presented.

The 17th installment of the series — which airs two seasons per calendar year — will air on CBS this fall.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:01:53 PM by River »

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
Interesting, will we have another "Fantasticks" alum winning TAR?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »
Article at http://reality-tv-gossip.suite101.com/article.cfm/amazing-race-17-reaches-finish-line-in-los-angeles-california

Basically, its a quick summary of everything we have found so far (They even credit us for all the information.) It contains some pretty serious spoilers, so I wont post the actual article here.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
Steven is a good friend to RFF, and he does an excellent job in getting everything correct! Thanks Steven! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 04:45:30 AM »
Emmy talk:

The amazing run of 'The Amazing Race'
The show has won the reality-competition series Emmy for seven years in a row. Those left in the dust are shaking their fists at the process.
By Ray Richmond, Special to the Los Angeles Times
June 17, 2010

The reality-competition and the variety-music-comedy series Emmy categories have since 2003 annually grown to resemble scenes from the movie "Groundhog Day."

Odds are, on the night the trophies are handed out, the envelope will be opened and a presenter will utter the words "The Amazing Race" for reality-competition and "The Daily Show" for variety. It's been this way for seven consecutive years, the two shows currently sharing the Emmy record for successive wins in a single category.

That CBS' global chase extravaganza "The Amazing Race" has so consistently taken home the Emmy since the inception of the reality-competition grouping has proved vexing to fellow category travelers like the Fox mega-hit "American Idol" (seven nominations, seven losses) and ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" (nominated the last four years without a win).

More here:
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/la-en-amazing-race-20100617,0,7044315.story
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »
Looks like Berty's back:

"I'm always honestly surprised and extremely honored to win every time, but by the same token I feel we earn the accolades with our extraordinary casting and storytelling," Van Munster says. "Compared with a lot of other reality shows, we're non-formulaic and truly unpredictable."
more by Bertram van Munster - 15 hours ago - Los Angeles Times (1 occurrences)

Source

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »
Here's an article about the Princeton boys.

http://www.universitypressclub.com/archive/2010/07/your-monthly-amazing-race-update-part-1-or-what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-cdy/

I wasn't aware that Princeton was the center of the universe and populated by gods... B:)
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
Here's an article about the Princeton boys.

http://www.universitypressclub.com/archive/2010/07/your-monthly-amazing-race-update-part-1-or-what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-cdy/

I wasn't aware that Princeton was the center of the universe and populated by gods... B:)

As a top-level Ivy League school, Princeton is right up there with Harvard and Yale as the a preferred institution to train the elite. That does not guarantee Princeton graduates success in life, but it does assure that they will get more opportunities sooner than graduates of other fine but less prestigious centers of higher learning. As the article says "the Princeton mystique – a mystique that gives us an extra measure of confidence that we might not otherwise have, a mystique that at times makes us feel like we’re exceptional, incredible, smart and savvy and headed nowhere but up." The typical Princeton student got excellent SAT scores, was near or at the top of his or her class, was involved in a wide range of extracurricular activities and public service, and may have been a distinguished athlete or musician or chess player or expert in one of many other skills WHILE THEY WERE IN HIGH SCHOOL. They were winners before they arrived at Princeton. They merely chose to take their services to Princeton for a 4 year period.

Princeton NJ is not the center of the universe. However, it is populated by exceptional people (even though they are not gods).

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
Here is a New York Post article about Celebrity possibilities indicating that the author knows almost nothing:

Celebrity 'Race'?
By AMANDA MELILLO

Last Updated: 9:55 AM, August 26, 2010

Posted: 12:56 AM, August 26, 2010

Could the next contestants on "The Amazing Race" be celebrities?

Phil Keoghan, who hosts the CBS show that features contestants racing around the globe, say the show is talking about the idea of famous challengers catching cabs in foreign cities or jumping into hot air balloons.

"If every celebrity who has told me they liked the show signed up and was a part of it, that would be huge," Keoghan told Entertainment Weekly.

"I know Sarah Jessica Parker is a big fan of the show, and I heard Drew Barrymore likes the show, and Neil Patrick Harris likes the show. I just don't know if they realize what [is in store]."

Keoghan has said the biggest hurdle would be finding celebs with enough time in their schedules to film the show at a single stretch.

The show usually takes nearly a month to film.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:52:18 AM by apskip »

Offline Sandra1991

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
I'm totally against a celebrity edition of TAR, but I have to admit that I would love to see Neil Patrick Harris racing  :hearts:

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »
Celebrity or no celebrity, is still a good race/show to me

But i guess this will definity overcome the 'bad record' in Amazing Race Family Edition
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
This (Un) popular topic will generate a lot of discussion.

You can take the discussion to one of these threads, okay? Thanks!

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,22436.msg556389.html#msg556389

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23097.0/topicseen.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »
I don't know if this is the right thread to post my rant/question on (sorry if it isn't), but...why is CBS not letting people from other countries access the previews, team interviews, etc? It's not like we can burn them on DVDs & make profit?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:35:15 AM by krabbe »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:37 AM »
I don't know if this is the right thread to post my rant/question on (sorry if it isn't), but...why is CBS not letting people from other countries access the previews, team interviews, etc? It's not like we can turn burn them on DVDs & make profit?

Hear! Hear!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
I don't know if this is the right thread to post my rant/question on (sorry if it isn't), but...why is CBS not letting people from other countries access the previews, team interviews, etc? It's not like we can burn them on DVDs & make profit?
Really, the problem is with the networks other than CBS that broadcast TAR.

I've asked CTV in Canada the question. The answer is that its all about the money.
In some cases they haven't purchased the rights to distribute the "extra" bits via the internet. So the network is being "thrifty" in not purchasing.
In other cases its a cost/benefit analysis. If they have purchased the rights to distribute via the internet, they only purchase the right to do so in their own country. So they have to limit who can watch it to just Canada. To do that requires special setup on the web site, which requires a person to do that setup and posting, which costs money.
The justification is that it won't increase ratings to post them, so why go to the expense?

I assume the situation is the same in other countries that simulcast TAR.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »
same thing applies to AXN, only allows asians to watch, outside Asia, 4 words to say, better luck next time
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »
The watermelon facesmash is taking on a life of its own. MSNBC on how someone can "survive" such an incident:

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/09/5077122-how-to-take-a-watermelon-smash-to-the-face

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
same thing applies to AXN, only allows asians to watch, outside Asia, 4 words to say, better luck next time

Actually it's Asian Country's that have AXN.
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »
Really, the problem is with the networks other than CBS that broadcast TAR.

I've asked CTV in Canada the question. The answer is that its all about the money.
In some cases they haven't purchased the rights to distribute the "extra" bits via the internet. So the network is being "thrifty" in not purchasing.
In other cases its a cost/benefit analysis. If they have purchased the rights to distribute via the internet, they only purchase the right to do so in their own country. So they have to limit who can watch it to just Canada. To do that requires special setup on the web site, which requires a person to do that setup and posting, which costs money.
The justification is that it won't increase ratings to post them, so why go to the expense?

I assume the situation is the same in other countries that simulcast TAR.

Ah I understand now. CBS should just bundle up the extras with the show, the cost can't be that big. Even JetBlue gives you 'free' snacks.

Offline Kacper

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
"The Amazing Race" has its first viral video hit of the season -- a young competitor getting nailed in the face with a watermelon shot from a medieval catapult.

The most painful part of the situation is that racer Claire Champlin -- a Home Shopping Network host-- did it to herself.

While in England, participating in what seems to be a roadblock challenge, Champlin is seen shooting whole watermelons at a suit of armor. It's going well, until a misfire results in a watermelon being slingshot back into her face with such force that the fruit gets pulverized.

READ MORE ON: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/amazing_racer_hit_on_melon_video_zRFzOOoazRsnvOlYUYqBYJ#ixzz0zBPpgQ6V

Survivor: San Juan del Sur premieres Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8/7C on CBS
The Amazing Race 25 premieres Friday, September 26, 2014 8/7C on CBS

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
According to my Mediacom DVR program schedule, the title for episode 1 is "They Don't Call It The Amazing Race For Nothin'!" with no mention of a country.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks to a little sleigh of hand using my DVR recorder settings, we have the title for episode 2 :A Kiss Saves the Day."
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
 :<3 :<3 :<3
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
Claire is married and pregnant...and the Watermelon incident was just the tip of the iceberg of their race experience!

ET's exclusive Interview:

'Amazing Race''s Watermelon Girl Talks To ET

The "Amazing Race" watermelon-in-the-face video has gone viral. Now, ET has the exclusive interview with Claire Champlin, the woman who got the watermelon facial, and her partner on "Race," Brook Roberts.

"…I didn't know what hit me in the face," Claire tells ET. "I didn't really know what was going on until I started taking watermelon off my face."

A recent "Amazing Race" challenge turned back the clock to medieval times for one of their challenges on the new season premiere. The task task was to knock over a suit of armor, using a giant slingshot and watermelons as ammunition. But something went haywire and the watermelon shot out backwards.

"The slingshot was too big for the watermelon, so it wrapped around it," Claire says. "When I pulled back, it didn't release it and it came back and hit me in the face."

Both Claire and Brook want to make it clear that "Amazing Race" had medics standing by who came and checked Claire out immediately.

"We really want to clarify when she looks at me and goes, 'What do we do now?' it wasn't because 'I don't know what to do next.' It was: 'Are we going to be allowed to continue on because the medical team hasn't cleared us?' That is why you hear me whisper, 'I think we have to finish…' We were in shock. We didn't know what to do," Brook says.

Claire goes on to say that after she was checked out by the medical staff, she saw other teams racing up, so they had to make a rash decision.

She remembers thinking, "Oh, my gosh, do we go? Do we continue on the race? Or is this where we give up? Even though I couldn't feel the side of my face, I knew my legs still worked … the other teams are coming. The pressure is still on."

Both women were troopers, so the "Race" continued, and Claire shows she has a sense of humor about it, commenting to ET, "Thank God it was a watermelon, though, not a pineapple…"

Neither Claire nor Brook are at liberty to reveal the results of their time on the "Amazing Race," but Claire does break the news to ET that she got married one month after finishing and she is now four months pregnant. She wanted to make that clear so when we we see her at the finale and she is definitely showing, no one says, "Watermelon girl swallowed a seed."

Read more and see their cute video here:

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/09/91278/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »
Big congrats to Claire on her marriage and pregnancy! :luvya:
If she is really 4 months pregnant, she was most likely in the very early stages of preganancy when she ran the race! If so, that is truly impressive and puts the watermelon thing into a whole new perspective!
All the best to her, her new husband and baby!

BTW~ is this the first time that CBS has aired an interview with just one team before the premier?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
I think this was a special watermelon issue, but all the teams should have hometown media interviews coming out on Thursday, we can add those to their own threads.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
Big congrats to Claire on her marriage and pregnancy! :luvya:
If she is really 4 months pregnant, she was most likely in the very early stages of preganancy when she ran the race! If so, that is truly impressive and puts the watermelon thing into a whole new perspective!
All the best to her, her new husband and baby!
BTW~ is this the first time that CBS has aired an interview with just one team before the premier?

Hmmm, if I count back 4 months from yesterday, I get May 21 - the race started May 26.
So, ummm how long were they in sequester before the race?
What a great "good luck on the race honey" present. :-[
Although I can't imagine running the race with morning sickness...

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
Although I can't imagine running the race with morning sickness...

Well at least it wasn't only me counting back days. I doubt she even knew she was pregnant when she started the race...

but it was really......after all night transoceanic flight, then watermelon in the face, then morning sickness......what a trooper
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
I just wanted to mention that according to the506.com website (which has those useful  weekly NFL game distribution maps for both CBS and FOX), the entire country in the eastern and central time zone (with two exceptions) is getting the same doubleheader late game. One of the two exceptions is in one of the North Carolina markets (no idea why as the game they're taking that otherwise airs on the west coast doesn't involve the Carolina team) and the St. Louis market, which is not airing a late game. I don't know if CBS will send them an on-time feed or not.
The bigger conflict for me, actually, for the first time since NBC started the Sunday Night games, is the New York Jets at Miami game. For the moment I'm going to have both that game and TAR on DVR record. It's insane but I'm thankful I can record both these days.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
Whoooo Boy!! Phil Interview w/ TV GUIDE!

Phil Keoghan: A Game-Changer Does Amazing Race Good
Sep 24, 2010 04:30 PM ET
by Joyce Eng2

After seven straight wins at the Primetime Emmy Awards for reality-competition series, The Amazing Race was dethroned this year by Top Chef — a loss that Phil Keoghan sees as a positive. "Change is just a really good thing," the Amazing Race host tells TVGuide.com. "And it only makes us want to continue to make a good show, which I think we've done this year." The globe-trotting series' 17th installment kicks off Sunday with a new and heavily-hyped game-changer called the Express Pass. See what Keoghan has to say about the new element, what teams you should watch out for, and if Padma Lakshmi really hit him on the Emmys red carpet.

TVGuide.com: I was bummed you guys lost the Emmy, but seven years is a really good run.
Phil Keoghan: Yeah, I think change is always good. It's funny because I was using a surfing analogy on the red carpet about how working in the entertainment industry is a little bit like surfing in a sense because if you get on a good wave, a wave will always break no matter how good the ride is. It was just weird that we went seven in a row and the wave broke, since in surfing, every seventh wave is the big wave and then it cycles again.

Hair stylists, home shopping hosts and yet another beauty queen set for Amazing Race 17

TVGuide.com: Padma Lakshmi claims she abused you on the red carpet. True?
Keoghan: [Laughs] She definitely gave me a couple of good jabs with her purse. I've never met her before, so I got such a shock, like, what?! It came out of the blue. All of the sudden, my arm was being pounded. I'm always respectful of the fact that people voted and this year they voted for another show. We really try to do new things every season and try to be as good as we can be.

TVGuide.com: Speaking of new things, what can you tell us about the Express Pass?
Keoghan: Well, first of all, I think we've tried to always inject new things, but at the same time, we don't want to mess with something that's worked. Like I said, change is always good. It livens up the show and keeps everyone on their toes, especially for a show that's been on as long as ours. This is a tool that teams can use to help themselves stay in the race and it's something from the beginning that gives them an extra incentive to race really hard right out of the gate. It rewards the team that does well, but unlike the Fast Forward, its impact is not for one leg. It has an effect on the entire race.

TVGuide.com: Was it just a coincidence that there are three hair stylists on three different teams this year?
Keoghan: [Laughs] You know, I wouldn't have noticed that had you not said something. We certainly didn't set about trying to pick a whole bunch of hair stylists. I don't know how interesting it would be to have a whole cast of hair stylists. Maybe it would be. Maybe we'd call it Hairspray or something: The Amazing Race: Hairspray.

TVGuide.com: Which teams should we keep an eye on?
Keoghan: We have very strong, all-women teams this season, which is great. Michael and Kevin — father and son — have a really interesting dynamic. They're like Ron and Christina from a few seasons back. When there are two generations connected by blood, you can end up with these really cool dynamics because it's like they're living on different planets and they wouldn't in a million years be with each other if they weren't family. ... The father is funny, but he doesn't know he's funny. Because of that, it makes it so much more enjoyable. You're watching something that's real and raw. In the reality world, it's getting harder to make sure that you don't have people auditioning who are trying to pull the wool over your eyes because they come to the auditions with preconceived ideas about what they think they should be as opposed to what they are. "We should be like the crazy hippie couple." They try to fit something that they think we need. Just be yourself. If yourself is not what we're looking for, then try again.

TVGuide.com: The cowboys last season is probably the most beloved team in Amazing Race history. Is there any team you think fans will take a liking to?
Keoghan: If I were picking an all-stars cast, I would definitely pick the cowboys to come back. That was the caliber they were, and we certainly have a few of those this season. One of my favorite relationships is Gary and Mallory. This is a beautiful woman who has so much bubbly personality that it just pours out on the screen. It's infectious energy. It's really exciting to watch her. Her dad really brought her up like a tomboy, so it's weird she's as tough as she is and she's Miss Kentucky.

TVGuide.com: How about villains?
Keoghan: I'm going to leave that for the audience to judge, but there definitely are teams where people are going to be like, "Aw, man, I can't stand this team" or "I can't believe they did what they did." I think it's important to have those teams — those who are maybe overly confident and get knocked down a few pegs when they see how tough the race is. Or they made assumptions about other teams and find themselves in a situation where they're humbled. There's always a honeymoon period in the beginning where everyone's trying to be nice, but as the race goes on, it settles in and you have to do whatever it takes to win.

Amazing Race's Daniel and Jordan: First-class move "made all the difference in the world"

TVGuide.com: Dan and Jordan last season moved up to first class in the finale, but a lot of fans got all riled up about that, even though it's a totally legal move. They didn't buy first-class tickets.
Keoghan: I'm surprised actually because I got a lot of emails from people. It was so clear-cut. Normally, fans are very, very informed, but for some reason, they got confused about that one, and it was so simple. They asked, they didn't pay for it, and they moved forward. I think if it was a team they really liked — like the cowboys — they wouldn't have bothered making a stink about it. But there were some who were questioning it. It's totally within their right to do it. They never broke a rule. [Moving up to first class has] been done many, many times. I don't know if people realize how seriously we adhere to rules. We're traveling with a lawyer, consulting with lawyers back here about every rule and game judgment. There is a rulebook that we follow very, very closely. We're not going to jeopardize the franchise by changing things.

TVGuide.com: You go to some new places this year: Bangladesh, Ghana, the Arctic Circle...
Keoghan: Yeah, Bangladesh is just a mind-blowing place to go to, one of the most densely populated places in the world. It can be an overwhelming experience for people who come from open spaces. The Arctic Circle — what makes the show so interesting is that the teams will fly from a place like Africa to the Arctic Circle, so, it's like I said in a script meeting, they're going from the furnace to the freezer.
You're constantly testing people and throwing them out of their element. Then you have them do the tasks that are always exciting. The tasks dictate the content since you never know how anyone is going to react to them.

TVGuide.com: You've had some well-known people on the show and there has been chatter about a celebrities-only Amazing Race. Do you think that's a good idea?
Keoghan: I think we should listen to the fans and if the fans think we should do it, then we should. I think it would depend on who those celebrities were. I think there are some who I think would be really good. But then there are some who I think might want to go on, but not be that good. The other thing is, how realistic is it? I don't know if some of the celebrities who have spoken to me are fully aware of what exactly it entails. I think they like the idea of it because they see it on TV once a week for a few months, but I think living it might be a little different to what they're used to. There's always that unknown factor about what happens to someone when they travel. Then it comes down to if it's realistic for them to do it, if it fits into their schedule and if they can put up with our schedule. There's no trailer, hair or makeup or hotel to go back to. But I think it'd be fun to watch

The Amazing Race 17 premieres Sunday with a 90-minute episode at 8:30/7:30c on CBS.

SOURCE
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 07:23:33 AM »
Thanks to a little sleigh of hand again using my DVR recorder settings, we have the title for episode 3 :In Phil We Trust."
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
Victor Jih blogs the first episode:

Victor Jih Predicts All-Girl Teams Will Define The Amazing Race
By Victor Jih

Monday September 27, 2010 10:30 AM EDT

And with an arch of an eyebrow from Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race begins again. Eleven new teams raced from Gloucester, Mass., to London, England. Their destination: Stonehenge. From that ancient wonder of the world, they traveled to Eastnor Castle, where the first pit stop and elimination awaited.

When the watermelon face-smash video went viral, I hoped something special was coming. The first episode did not disappoint. In fact, this was the best first episode I have seen in a while. Why did I love it so much? Because the first leg was tough! Teams not only had to overcome the typical airport jockeying and start-of-the-race chaos, they also had to drive stick on the "wrong" side of the road, navigate confusing country roads that go in circles, storm a castle, figure out a tricky capsizing "turtle shell" boat, and tackle an outright dangerous watermelon slingshot. Watching as an ex-racer, I kept screaming, "Are you kidding me?" Even though I knew to practice driving a manual transmission as I prepared for my season of the Race, I would not have been prepared for this.

See what he thinks of the teams and Read the rest HERE:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20429412,00.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline GreenNegg

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 05:11:05 AM »
Channel 5(Singapore) just aired a promo of Brook and Claire. It is their official CBS video. But i don't get why Channel 5 still use clips of TAR16.

Just saying :)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
Victor Jih blogs the first episode:

Victor Jih Predicts All-Girl Teams Will Define The Amazing Race
By Victor Jih

Monday September 27, 2010 10:30 AM EDT

And with an arch of an eyebrow from Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race begins again. Eleven new teams raced from Gloucester, Mass., to London, England. Their destination: Stonehenge. From that ancient wonder of the world, they traveled to Eastnor Castle, where the first pit stop and elimination awaited.

When the watermelon face-smash video went viral, I hoped something special was coming. The first episode did not disappoint. In fact, this was the best first episode I have seen in a while. Why did I love it so much? Because the first leg was tough! Teams not only had to overcome the typical airport jockeying and start-of-the-race chaos, they also had to drive stick on the "wrong" side of the road, navigate confusing country roads that go in circles, storm a castle, figure out a tricky capsizing "turtle shell" boat, and tackle an outright dangerous watermelon slingshot. Watching as an ex-racer, I kept screaming, "Are you kidding me?" Even though I knew to practice driving a manual transmission as I prepared for my season of the Race, I would not have been prepared for this.

See what he thinks of the teams and Read the rest HERE:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20429412,00.html

If Victor has been reading spoilers on RFF, he would already know that all female teams have a 2/3 probability of winning AR17. He mentioned 4 F/F teams but only listed Nat/Kat, Claire/Book and Katie/Rachel. I hope he does not put Andie and Jenna in the category of  "capable of winning" AR17. I could not read the article beyond its first page. Can somebody correct that, please?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »
Episode 4's title to air on 10/17 "We Should Have Brought Gloves and Butt Pads." (Same source as the last three weeks.)
-- theschnauzers

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »
Episode 5 title to air on 10/24 is "Tastes Like A Million Dollars."
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
if they're still in Sweden for Leg 5.

The episode description for episode 5 indicates the teams are in Norway. No clue as to where the teams reach the Arctic Circle in episode 4.

-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »
link or quote please?

nvm...got it. "Teams race in Norway."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:57:21 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:58 AM »
Stetind Mountain is in Norway and North of the Arctic Circle   :tup:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 01:24:23 AM »
Let's take all this to ep 5 discussion please after this?

YAY for identifying a new Intro cap!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »
You know I did that about a week ago  :lol:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2010, 02:20:52 AM »
I know...it was a really good one too!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
Victor Jih's latest blog/recap can be found here:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20433597,00.html

Love this part:

To be fair, simple tasks become difficult under the pressure of the race.

The most telling task for me was the African geography quiz: In truth, this was not about testing knowledge of geography. I doubt any one (other than maybe Kevin) actually knew from personal study where Ghana is on a map. Instead, this was a test of who was playing to win.

Teams should have known where Ghana was because they should have anticipated it. In my experience, teams typically fall into two categories.

There are teams who race to win: During our season, there were teams who would spend every spare moment obtaining information. At airports, my sister and I would make sure we figured out exchange rates, learned what the flag looked like and grabbed every free map.

Then there are teams who just want to enjoy the ride: As Kevin puts it, "To us, this is worth more than the million dollars we are competing for. We just want to stay in each leg to experience these different countries."

It is clear certain people anticipated and were prepared for the quiz, namely Chad, Thomas, Rachel and Nat. Unlike others, they didn't need to rely on the process of elimination or lucky guesses. If those are the teams that are doing the extra preparation work between tasks, then barring bad luck or bad judgment, I would think they are the ones more likely to last the longest in the race.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 02:34:43 AM »
It is clear certain people anticipated and were prepared for the quiz, namely Chad, Thomas, Rachel and Nat. Unlike others, they didn't need to rely on the process of elimination or lucky guesses. If those are the teams that are doing the extra preparation work between tasks, then barring bad luck or bad judgment, I would think they are the ones more likely to last the longest in the race.

I think Conner and/or John should be added to this list. While they did not get it correct straight away, they knew the rough location of Ghana and I think were only downed by the high number or small countries in that area.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 03:57:19 AM »
Yeah....Victor forgot about Gary aceing the exam too. Gary/Mallory had car/taxi breakdowns the first two episodes. Episode 3 was first time they didnt have car trouble. Guess Victor thinks them coming in 2nd was a fluke.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »
It's Saturday night, so it's time to check and see if my Mediacom DVR future recording schedule has information on the October 31st episode of TAR......and it surely does:
"Run,Babushka, Run!" The Race continues in St. Petersburg, Russia.

(That's one way to confirm a spoiler report isn't it?)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:53:50 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 06:49:22 AM »
MSN.com is currently featuring "Best and Worst Reality Shows" and the third image is:

3 of 18
Images
Brook (left) comforts teammate Claire when a melon backfires on 'The Amazing Race 17' (© Jeffrey R. Staab/CBS/Landov)

'The Amazing Race'

Search: 'The Amazing Race'

Sure, it lost this year's Emmy to this show after a seven-year winning streak, but the around-the-world competition (videos) is as popular as ever. A painful-to-watch scene from this season is an Internet sensation.

Watch clips of the show.

There are a total of 1050 clips spread 20 per page across 51 pages. The feature AR13 through 17 plus a very few on Amazing Race Asia.

The direct link to the videos is:  http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%27Amazing+Race%27+&go=&form=msnhal

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
Ah.. what memories this brings back for me. Thanks apskip for finding this.  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »
I got Epsiode's 8 title: "Ali Baba in a Suit"

No further description yet.. :)

source: http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/Amazing-Race-2010/episode-8-season-17/ali-baba-suit/306700
Prama's Member Game Profile
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »
Thank you prama! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
That sure sounds like somewhere in Arabia, which may support an Oman leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »
Phil Keoghan responds to criticism that The Amazing Race is no longer really amazing   
by Andy Dehnart / October 31, 2010, 5:27 PM

comment »Well before season 17 of The Amazing Race began, I talked to its host, Phil Keoghan about what I think is the series general decline over the past few seasons. (We also talked about why it isn’t in HD and its streak of Emmy wins, which of course was broken soon after that.)

While my suggestions for how the show should fix itself got enough feedback here and elsewhere to suggest that I’m not alone in thinking this, Phil seemed surprised by the suggestion. “That’s not good if you feel that way,” he told me. “I haven’t felt that personally. There’s an incredible team of people who work on the show, and the feedback that I get generally is that they just love how fresh and exciting it is, so I’m sorry that you’ve felt that way.” When I suggested the challenges now are a lot weaker, he said, simply, “wow.”

I mentioned that the show has become predictable, which is the worst possible thing for an adrenaline-fueled series like The Amazing Race, and he kind of conceded that point. “When a show has been on the air for a while, it definitely—you know, look, we’re making a reality television show. There’s a lot of things you can never predict.” Phil told me that at the beginning of the series, it felt “fresher just because you’re doing a lot of things for the first time. I think that’s one of the things we have to strive for. If you’re feeling like that, it’s our responsibility to try to make sure that we do keep it fresh, that we do make it feel for the viewer like it’s always changing up.”

When we talked, the Express Pass of Power was still a secret, but Phil said the new twist had “quite an impact on the teams throughout the race” and a “dramatic impact on the race.” Unless it is going to reappear, that is the opposite of what happened: it was a complete dud. (That he felt like it worked so well makes me think that either it played out differently in real life and the formula the editing now follows minimized the drama it caused, or he and I disagree about what “a dramatic impact” means.)

Phil also told me that “the changes that we made this season definitely helped. … What you’re saying, I really don’t feel like that about this particular season that we just shot. The teams are strong, the locations that we went are really strong. Hopefully, you’ll feel like if we got off track we’re back on track this season, because I felt like that.”

Alas, the answer is no: the train hasn’t yet derailed, but it’s dragging and sparks are flying. When I asked specifically about the shorter production schedule—the race seems to take fewer and fewer days to complete every subsequent season—and the way actual legs are very short and result in no pack movement at all, Phil said that this season’s “schedule was really brutal” because it had “a lot of overnight flights” which “really wears you out. Your rest is on a plane overnight.” But he added, “that’s actually was a good sign, because when we’re exhausted, we know they’re exhausted, and when it’s hard for us we know it’s hard for them, and that generally translates into exciting television.”

Whole article here:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race_17/2010_Oct_31_phil_interview
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2010, 08:30:24 PM »
I found the episode's 9 synopsis, but the title hasn't appeared yet.

Episode 9: The Race continues in Bangladesh

:yess:

Source: http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/Amazing-Race-2010/episode-9-season-17/amazing-race-17/306700

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
Amazing Race’s missing task: there never was a speed bump for Nick and Vicki
The Amazing Race 17 »   
by Andy Dehnart / November 8, 2010, 8:06 AM
comment »
The Amazing Race 17 has minor controversy on its hands, as last week’s episode ended in a non-elimination for Nick DeCarlo and Vicki Casciola, but the team didn’t complete the required punishment, a speed bump task, this episode.

The answer lies in last week’s episode: There never was a speed bump task. At the end of the episode, when Nick and Vicki arrive at the mat, Phil says, “This is a non-elimination leg and you will get to race another day.” That’s all he said.

Why didn’t he give them a task? Now comes speculation, because, annoyingly, the episode didn’t tell us, but it seems like they weren’t given an extra task probably because last week shouldn’t have even been a non-elimination leg—or if it actually was a pre-scheduled non-elimination leg, they were given a pass because of a production error. The rather ridiculous equalizer at the start of the leg plus the lack of start times in this week’s episode clearly suggests that production made sure that everyone was even at the beginning of this leg to compensate for a screw-up.

HitFix’s Dan Fienberg summarizes a theory from an IMDB message board discussion that says “Nick had posted on his personal Facebook page that in the Classical Music Detour in the previous leg, there’d been a judging error. Apparently they’d been giving a correct answer, but a judge had been telling them that they were wrong.”

Naturally, that person’s post is a summary of a summary of something someone else read. Why the hell can’t people, you know, include a link or quote from something they’ve read? It’s the Internet after all. Nick’s actual Facebook profile is locked down so his posts aren’t visible, and there is nothing of interest on their team Facebook page. Perhaps we’ll get more clarity later.

from: http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race_17/2010_Nov_08_speed_bump
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
Excerpt from Victor's take on Episode 7
Why can't teams read?!? Any student of The Race knows that taking a taxicab when you are not supposed to is a classic blunder. It is even more shocking since Brook told Kevin they had made a mistake. When Kevin arrived at the tower, he asked Brook why they have their bags with them. Brook told Kevin that they were supposed to leave their cabs and walk. Instead of realizing their mistake, Michael and Kevin once again took a cab even though the clue said to walk.

So why can't teams read? They're exhausted and stressed out. Under these circumstances, even the best teams (see Brook and Claire) will make stupid mistakes. So I do not fault Kevin for failing to read the clues correctly. No one is perfect. Instead, I blame Michael. Michael seemed to have fallen into the role of doting father, happily following the lead of his son in every decision and task without question. As Michael and Kevin sat out their hour-long penalty, Kevin reread the clues and said, "Oh, I didn't even see that." Michael laughed and responded, "You didn't read it." That scene spoke volumes. The problem was not that Kevin "didn't read it." The problem was that Michael "didn't read it" either.

Brook and Claire make a similar mistake but recovered – thanks to Claire. Like Michael, Claire often follows Brook as she runs ahead. But unlike Michael, Claire quietly double-checks their decisions, reads the clues herself and makes sure Brook isn't leading them astray. Mistakes are inevitable, so it is unwise to expect one leader to always make the right decision. It takes two to win The Race.
Full article here--Victor's Amazing Race Blog: It Takes Two to Win

(I never noticed it before, but, from episode 7 and the picture on Victor's latest blog, Nat & Kat remind me of Blake & Paige, smile-wise and even appearance-wise slightly.)

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Leg 10 and 11:

No title yet, but at least we know that Hong Kong and Seoul are confirmed  :tup:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:05:53 PM by pramararama »

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »
They didn't help us out with the location of the final:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »
Heee...if last season is anything to go by, they will post a pic of the location about 10 seconds after I find it...after weeks of searching. :lolmao:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:20:17 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58:05 PM »
Heee...if last season is anything to go by, they will post a pic of the locstion about 10 seconds after I find it...after weeks of searching.

Haha, any leads at all? Is it possible that they do not stay in LA?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »
Well, it has to be somewhere that makes flying into LAX from Seoul a rational flight option. But then we, had teams do irrational flight options on the final leg (see TAR 4, TAR 10, as examples.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2010, 10:01:51 PM »
Heee...if last season is anything to go by, they will post a pic of the locstion about 10 seconds after I find it...after weeks of searching.

Haha, any leads at all? Is it possible that they do not stay in LA?

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21980.msg569820.html#msg569820
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »

Phil Keoghan loves that girl power dominates 'The Amazing Race' season finale

"You can be guaranteed that there’s one thing that comes into play in Los Angeles, right?" host and producer Phil Keoghan said in an interview. "Traffic. I’ll just say that. There’s a challenge that tweaks a few phobias for some of the teams. And there’s a few dramatic turns and twists and you’ll be doing a lot of second-guessing. You think you’ll have it all worked out and then it will turn another way. At the end of the day, the most deserving team wins and that’s the most important thing."

Keoghan, who was speaking from a top-secret location where he is filming the 18th season, said he was as excited about the success of the two all-women teams as viewers have been.

"I’ve really enjoyed watching Nat and Kat and Brook and Claire and the fact that we have these two all-female teams at the end of this race, it’s a wonderful dynamic to have for the final leg of the race," Keoghan said.

Brook, 27, and Claire, 30, of course, became world-famous before the show even premiered when CBS released a promo of Claire getting hit in the face with a watermelon during a challenge in the first leg. Claire wasn't down for nearly as long as you'd think she would be before Brook reminded her "This is 'The Amazing Race'" and the two unstoppable women were off.

"Not in a million years did we ever think that was going to happen," Keoghan said.  "We test all of these challenges over and over and how she actually managed to have that watermelon come back into her face, I’m still baffled about the science behind how that all happened. How do you force something going one way and then miraculously turn it around to come right back? I have to be honest with you, I had no idea how impactful that was until I saw the footage when we got back. I had no idea how powerful that blow was. And the fact that they pulled themselves together and stuck to it and they're very, very, very determined."

Nat, 31, and Kat, 35, have impressed viewers with their unflappable natures. While some partners have been abusive toward their teammates -- Chad Waltrip and Nick DeCarlo, we're looking at you -- these two women have behaved admirably toward each other every step of the way.

"My daughters enjoyed watching them," Keoghan said. "They’re two very strong women, obviously very smart. To me, the best thing about 'The Amazing Race' has always been about being able to watch relationships that are strong, functional, and that actually are inspirational. "Of course, we’ve seen the other side of that. We’ve seen all kinds of relationships over the years that for some reason haven’t worked. When there’s a great connection, if you remember when the cowboys were on, or you think about the connection between Nat and Kat, when you see that kind of connection and how they operate under pressure, and we’re able to capture that with a camera and share that with an audience, I think that’s pretty cool."

After 17 seasons, Keoghan has developed an interesting theory about same-sex teams and why they tend to communicate better during the race. This season, viewers have noted on message boards and Twitter that the men have not treated the women in their lives well, especially Nick who berated his girlfriend, Vicki Casciola, mocked her, and eventually stopped helping her finish a challenge.

"It’s almost like a mid-football game mentality where some of the guys are playing a game of football with their guy friends and they forget that they’re actually out there with their girlfriends or wives or partners," he said. "They start yelling and screaming like they’re in the middle of a game. It’s always surprising to me.

"It always reminds me of the book 'Men are From Mars, Women From Venus' which outlines exactly the difference between men and women," he continued. "And I think male/female teams have more of a challenge on 'Race' than same-sex teams just because of that fact that when you’re communicating and trying to work together under pressure, men and women just are wired different. I'm into equal rights and everything, but at the end of the day, men and women are just different and the way that two men will talk to each other when they’re competing as opposed to, say, the way two women talk to each other, it’s so uniquely different."

Participants of the show, including Nick, often say in exit interviews that competing in the race changed their perspective on themselves and their relationships. Keoghan, who keeps in touch with many of the teams, says he believes whole-heartedly that the show provides "a life-changing experience."

"I’ve given up trying to work out what makes relationships work," Keoghan said. "I’ve looked at some relationships and I have no idea how the hell that relationship works, but it does. And it’s easy for all of us to stand from the outside, and pass judgment on why a relationship is flawed and you can’t believe why this couple is together or whatever.

"I admire all of them for putting themselves under a microscope for the period of time that they’re out there and knowing that we’re all standing back and looking at them under a microscope -- we’re looking at every move, everything they say, everything they do," he added. "Every physical gesture. They’re basically there for our entertainment for a period of time. But just as we’re watching it and passing judgment, they’re also pushing themselves and reacting in ways they never have before. Sometimes they do have that 'Oh man, I really need to do something about this behavior.'  So I think it is actually a therapeutic experience for some people when they come on the show."

More here:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/12/phil-keoghan-loves-that-girl-power-dominates-the-amazing-race-season-finale.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Interview w/ Nick and Vicki here:
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-nick-decarlo-and-vicki-casciola-talk-the-amazing-race-11787.php

This is kind of surprising and a nice quote from this article. It is nice to hear that N/K got along so well with everyone:

Reality TV
World: Vicki, during your Elimination Station video you told the other eliminated teams that you were rooting for Nat and Kat to win. Why was that?

Vicki Casciola: You know what, I actually love all the teams and I wouldn't mind seeing any of them, but they were just very genuine people -- they were awesome. Nat -- them being doctors -- and Nat had diabetes and so she was struggling on the show as long as I was with asthma.

So she was kind of more so on my level, and she was just really kind spirited. All in all, I wouldn't mind seeing any of those teams get to first. They're all very strong and they're all awesome people, so...

Nick DeCarlo: ... I'd have to agree. The three that are left are really the teams that Vicki and I bonded with the most throughout the whole thing from day one to the last day we were racing.

Nat and Kat were just awesome people -- we'll be friends with them forever.
Jill and Thomas [are] just totally down to earth -- on the same page as Vicki and I -- just super cool people. And Brook and Claire, they're just clowns so...

Vicki Casciola: ... Yeah, they're awesome. They're just great to be around.

Nick DeCarlo: It's really -- we don't really have a favorite in the top three. I feel like the whole top three is our favorite. Either one would be fine for us for sure. They're all great people.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:11 PM »
Once NV started emphasizing NK so much, they had to switch around and mention the other two as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:30:28 PM by the-pr0phet »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
A post from someone who lives in Ghana and tracked down the people who appeared in the episodes. He makes some good points about the "giving something back" nonsense that normally can't be said without sounding like the Grinch.  :cmas31:

Offline TAR new fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »
Twitter feed from CBS Amazing race says that "GIRL POWER DOMINATES" the finale!! yeah!

http://twitter.com/AmazingRace_CBS

CBSTweet "Girl power" dominates The Amazing Race finale on Sunday! Phil Keoghan previews the thrilling finale http://lat.ms/fCDVWi
12:28 PM Dec 9th via web

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
Amazing Race: Host Phil Keoghan Picks a Winner
By Carrie Bell

Sunday December 12, 2010 11:00 AM EST

Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan swears on his passport that season 17's finale, which airs Sunday on CBS, is chock full "memorable and very cool moments."

And that's saying a lot considering this season saw a contestant get a runaway watermelon to the face, an on-air proposal, the longest penalty and a team who slept through their pit stop departure time by more than two hours.

"It's hard to believe, but this is the first time in our series history that we've ended the race in Los Angeles. Nothing like maneuvering your way to the finish line through L.A. traffic," Keoghan told PEOPLE recently. "We have one challenge where teams literally have to face their fears and phobias in order to avoid choking with $1 million on the line."

And a bonus: "Look for a surprise appearance by one of the most famous game show hosts of all time," he says.

It's also the best chance in series history for an all-female team to be crowned the winner with two of the three remaining duos lacking a Y chromosome.

"I know the first person I would hear from is my daughter," he says. And while Keoghan understands why his daughter and viewers are thrilled at the possibility, the host reminds them not to put the cart in front of the horse. "As I keep telling her, the great thing about The Amazing Race is that it's a fair competition," he says. "You can't write the script."

Final Three

Not that he hasn't sized up the competition.

The doctors Nat Strand, 31, and Kat Chang, 35, "epitomize strong, independent, intelligent women." He feels their chosen career path both helps and hinders them. "Their experience in medicine helps them stay calm under pressure and make calculated decisions," says Keoghan. "[But] their calm demeanor could work against them when the race calls on them to operate at full speed."

The couple, hairstylist Jill Haney, 27, and ad sales director Thomas Wolfard, 30, "are a highly competitive team who isn't afraid to step over anyone or each other to win." But the couple's path to the finale has been anything but smooth. "When the pressure mounts, there is a disconnect that occurs that creates a rift and weakens their chances of running an efficient race."

Despite misreading a clue in the second-to-last leg and seemingly bickering with growing frequency, the Home Shopping hosts Brooke Roberts, 27, and Claire Champlin, 30, have run a strong almost error-free race. "These two finish each other's sentences," he says. "They're completely in sync," but he adds, "while they're a mental match, physically Brooke takes a leadership role and when it really matters most, they may not be able to meet each other's expectations."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20448822,00.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2010, 12:40:39 PM »
Despite misreading a clue in the second-to-last leg and seemingly bickering with growing frequency, the Home Shopping hosts Brooke Roberts, 27, and Claire Champlin, 30, have run a strong almost error-free race. "These two finish each other's sentences," he says. "They're completely in sync," but he adds, "while they're a mental match, physically Brooke takes a leadership role and when it really matters most, they may not be able to meet each other's expectations."

Things that make you say... HMMMMMMM.....
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
The AP put out a story on Nat/Kat's victory:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101213/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_amazing_race

Nat and Kat make history, win CBS' 'Amazing Race'

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer Frazier Moore, Ap Television Writer – 1 hr 43 mins ago

NEW YORK – Gal-pal doctors Nat and Kat have crossed the finish line to win "The Amazing Race."

They have also made history, becoming the first two-woman team to claim the million-dollar grand prize in the 17 seasons of the CBS reality series.

Nat Strand, from Scottsdale, Ariz., and Kat Chang, from Santa Monica, Calif., were first to reach the Los Angeles destination on Sunday's finale.

Finishing in second place were a rival female duo, Brook Roberts, of San Diego, Calif., and Claire Champlin, of Reno, Nev., who are best friends and hosts on a home shopping network.

Coming in third were dating couple Jill Haney and Thomas Wolfard, who live in Marina Del Rey, Calif.

During the hour, the three teams had to bungee jump off a giant crane at the Port of Long Beach, decorate a float for the Tournament of Roses parade, and play a trivia contest with veteran game-show host Bob Eubanks.

The race ended on a terrace of Beverly Hills' Greystone Mansion.

The finalists covered four continents, 30 cities and 32,000 miles, "Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan told Strand and Chang as he declared them the winners.

Speaking by phone from New York after the broadcast, Strand said, for her, one of the worst moments of the entire journey had been dropping from that crane on Sunday's episode.

But speaking of the race overall, she added, "I had no idea how hard it was going to be."

Even though she'd seen all the previous seasons, watching the show on TV left her unprepared for how challenging it would be as a contestant. She cited "the extreme fatigue, how hungry you get — I was surprised by how physically demanding it was."

Meanwhile, a big surprise for Chang were "the bonds that we made, not only with each other but even with the other racers. We were so lucky that the others were fantastic, and we got along."

Celebrating their victory, which was sealed at Greystone Mansion some six months ago, Chang said, "It still feels unreal. Having to keep it a secret until just a half-hour ago made it difficult for it to feel real. I could only share stories with Nat. We'd say to each other, 'Do you believe what we did?!'"
-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »
Excerpt from Victor's Amazing Race Blog: Nat and Kat Make History
Personally, I think the memory task should not be a team task. I also don't think racers should be allowed to complete it with their notes. Now, let me be clear: I still think Nat and Kat would have won. I just think a tougher final task gives teams more of a chance to catch up, creates more drama for the leg and really requires the winning team to work for their victory.

I definitely agree with Victor on this one.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »

Nat & Kat's Interview with TVGuideMagazine.