Author Topic: TAR 17: Gary Ervin and Mallory Ervin -- Father/Daughter  (Read 13008 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 17: Gary Ervin and Mallory Ervin -- Father/Daughter
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:02 AM »
Gary and Mallory

Father/Daughter

Gary Ervin

Hometown: Morganfield, Ky.

Connection to your Teammate: Father

Current occupation: Entrepreneur

Favorite hobbies: Triathlon, scuba diving and hunting/fishing

Achievements: Building a company from the ground up with my family to become one of the largest in the industry; getting my commercial pilots license and logging over 5000 hours; and, I wrestled and coached for University of Central Missouri and Union County High School.

Lifelong to do list: Be a better husband, father and friend

What scares you most about traveling? Being out of the country if something were to happen to my family

What excites you most about traveling? Learning about different people and cultures

If I could switch places with someone: No one – I'm not perfect, but I'm happy with who I am.

Role model/hero: My parents – I still strive to make them proud of me.

What are you passionate about? My family, work, faith and fitness

What would you do if you won the million dollars? If I were to win the million dollars I would help as many people with it as I could.

People would be surprised to learn: I ran 13 marathons and a half Ironman triathlon after I turned 45.

Favorite place you have ever visited: Ngoro Ngoro crater in Tanzania

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: The biggest obstacle of running the Race will be living up to our family's expectation that we are going to win.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I would like to win for my family and community. I hope to represent both well so that they will be proud of my effort.

Pet peeve about your teammate: My daughter has a stubborn streak -- a lot like me.

Mallory Ervin

Hometown: Lexington, Ky.

Connection to your Teammate: Daughter

Current occupation: Miss Kentucky 2009

Favorite hobbies: Performing, spending time with my family on our farm and thrill seeking activities like skydiving and bungee jumping

Achievements: I was very proud of being selected as 4th runner up at Miss America. It was something that I have worked and prepared for my entire life.

Lifelong to do list: Perform on Broadway! I also love motivational speaking and would love to find a way to continue this throughout my life. Lastly, I want to make my family proud.

What scares you most about traveling? Being out of the country if something was to happen to my family

What excites you most about traveling? I love diving blindly into new cultures and cities – the food, the language and the general attitude toward life. I also love that feeling that I have when I return home and realize all the good things that I have right here.

If I could switch places with someone: Phil, because he gets to do The Amazing Race every season.

Role model/hero: My dad

What are you passionate about? My family, singing and helping others find joy in life

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would give some of it to the organizations that helped me along my way to achieve my dreams -- the Miss America and Miss Kentucky Organization, Autism Awareness as well as the Catholic grade school and public high school I attended. I would save or invest the rest. My father will probably disagree.

People would be surprised to learn: I've already made a million dollars… for charity. When I was Miss Kentucky I sold a country ham for 1.3 million dollars and all the money went to local charities in my state.

Favorite place you have ever visited: Rome, Italy

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: We're both very stubborn so we will have to learn how to give a little. We also need to work on trusting each other.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other then winning one million bucks)? I hope to have the adventure of a lifetime and an experience to share with my Dad. He is a huge fan and has never missed an episode. It would mean a lot to him to be able to run the Race together.

Pet peeve about your teammate: Biggest pet peeve about my dad is that he never thinks about himself.  

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:09:03 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 17: Gary Ervin and Mallory Ervin -- Father/Daughter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
Summary updated with Intro Video!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »
Mallory is sooo sweet. :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Mallory is sooo sweet. :hearts:

I agree! I think I'm going to love this team. :wohoo:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:18 PM »
Exclusive: Gary and Mallory Ervin talk about 'The Amazing Race'

By Reality TV World staff, 11/15/2010

Gary and Mallory Ervin thought they were going to be in good shape during the eighth leg of The Amazing Race's seventeenth edition when they purchased a map to help guide them through the leg.    

However instead of powering them to a top-tier finish, the map sent them way off course -- resulting the "Father/Daughter" team becoming the sixth team eliminated from the around-the-world competition during Sunday night's broadcast of the seventeenth edition's eighth episode.

On Monday, Gary and Mallory talked to Reality TV World about their The Amazing Race experience -- including exactly how they ended up being on the road for nine hours, why they decided to rely on a map for the leg, and what they thought of Chad Waltrip's marriage proposal to teammate Stephanie Smith

Reality TV World: What happened to you guys on the way to the Muscat fort? Last night's episode made it look like Mallory was guiding you based upon a map, but then Gary seemed to think things were "not right" and it was "a bad move" almost immediately.

Gary Ervin: We did have a real good detailed map, one of our first ones of the race, and we had a direct four-lane road going straight for Jebel Shams and we got there and we couldn't find the [right mountain road] and we couldn't find our driver that was supposed to drive us up the mountain.

We could see the mountain that we were going to -- we could see the face of it -- and there was an indirect route, the one on the north side of the mountain, that we were supposed to have taken, and we literally had directions that said we had to backtrack all the way around. It was like 300 kilometers to get where we were going.
Reality TV World: So you found the mountain but you didn't [take] the right access road?

Mallory Ervin: That's what it was. It was the fact that it was a mountain and we went around the wrong side of it. We went, and Nat and Kat also, we [both] had that same map, so there was no way to correct our mistake.

We finally found out that there was no access road on the side of the mountain we went around. So we had to go all the way back around it and then all the way up the other side of the mountain. That's basically what happened. So we were nine hours behind, like I said on the show, I mean.

Gary Ervin: Nat and Kat were the only other team that got that same map and they did the exact same thing.

Reality TV World: So that [show comment] was accurate -- that nine hours comment wasn't an exaggeration or anything?

Mallory Ervin: Yup, no exaggeration. (laughs)

Reality TV World: Wow, so that's like several hundred miles then you were off track obviously, right?

Gary Ervin: That's right. We had to get two tanks of gas.

Reality TV World: Holy cow.

Mallory Ervin: Yeah, it was bad. (laughs)

Reality TV World: Wow.

Gary Ervin: You wouldn't think we'd ever spend money filling up our car.

Reality TV World: Later in the episode, there was a clip with Gary saying that was the first time in the entire race that you had a map. Was that accurate?

Mallory Ervin: It was pretty accurate, yeah. We had one in London that I lost (laughs)

So that was the first time we had a map, yeah. We got it at the airport -- you would of thought it would have been correct -- but it was not!

Gary Ervin: And plus, it was our plan for her to drive, and me to navigate -- kind of got derailed. The stick shift put me in the driver seat instead of the backseat. She's a more aggressive driver than I am. I follow speed limits and she might fudge them a little bit, but I think I was a better navigator.

Reality TV World: So why hadn't you guys used maps before then and what suddenly made you want to buy one in leg eight?

Mallory Ervin: We just found that one, I mean, we just didn't have the money to buy them at times or we didn't have time to stop and get one, and usually it wasn't a long way -- everything was pretty far apart [this leg].

So, usually you'll see other teams, you can follow other teams, so you don't necessarily need a map -- you can't find one usually and you don't need one. So, this leg was different.

Gary Ervin: Plus you don't know if you're going to take a cab or if you're going to be driving. A lot of times a tourist magazine or a tourist book is more helpful than a map.

Reality TV World: So how much hope did you guys have when you finally got to Jebel? Last night's episode made it look like you kind of resigned yourself to finishing last until you finally saw Nat and Kat at the Roadblock. Was that the case?

Mallory Ervin: Yeah, I mean we never gave up -- we never give up in general. But being that out of the way, somebody would of had to make a really fatal mistake or just fallen out. I mean, so when we saw Nat and Kat our hope was filled, our hope was renewed.

We still were going to race that whole leg though, I mean we weren't going to stop, but then we saw them and we were like, we're still in this! So then we stepped it up and we were in full blast until the very end, and it was so close there at the end.

But we were glad we got to race the end of it. We weren't going to give up. We were going to end it like it was a race too -- not just meandering to the finish line. (she laugh)

Reality TV World: Do you have any idea about how far behind Nat and Kat you two ended up getting to the Pit Stop?

Mallory Ervin: Just a couple minutes -- a few minutes
. I think it showed pretty accurately how close we really were. We saw each other at the water truck, we saw each other at the next little [spot], we saw each other right up until that finish line.

Reality TV World: Wow so it really was that close even with the nine hour...

Mallory Ervin: It was one of, we think, one of the longest legs ever, it was like 16 hours or so.

Reality TV World: Some of the other teams must of been almost leaving by the time you got there...

Gary Ervin: I know -- our truck, when they were doing the challenge, and we were coming up the water truck when they were going down to bring it back, so we were in it the entire time.

Reality TV World: How did you guys decide that Mallory was going to do the rappelling Roadblock? Because Gary, you had done the rappelling on the bridge a few episodes ago.

Mallory Ervin: Yeah, it was so hard. He still has rope burn. (laughs)

Gary Ervin: The rappelling was the fun part. They didn't have her climb back up -- that was the hard part.

Mallory Ervin: Also, we hadn't seen Nat and Kat at that point so we thought we could be in last, and Dad let me do it because he knew it was going to be a fun one.

And I'm not scared of anything; I thought it was like bungee jumping honestly -- sky diving -- and I wasn't scared and it didn't look that hard so we were just like, alright!

Gary Ervin: I had one more challenge than she did at the time so that evened us up.

Reality TV World: Last night's episode showed all six of the teams that were left doing the water delivery Detour instead of the wedding table task, which is pretty unusual. Why do you think that was and how did you guys personally decide on which one to do?

Mallory Ervin: We were fairly good at choosing which side of the Detour was slightly more physical because the physical ones, we feel, are usually harder -- a lot harder but it doesn't take as long -- and when we read the clue it said buy 25 chickens, and a bag of potatoes, a bag of -- it seemed like it was going to take a really long time.

So we thought the water truck, delivering it and pumping it from deep in the earth, we thought this will be hard, but I bet we can do it faster because we're strong. So that's what we decided.

I think all the teams that are left, they're all strong like us, and I know they're capable of doing the harder ones, maybe it's shorter -- even though it's harder it's shorter -- so I think that's what made us choose that one. I'm surprised Stephanie didn't choose the wedding one though. (laughs)

Reality TV World: How worried were you guys when you were on the second flight out of Russia? Did you think the two hour difference was going to be a key thing at the time or did you feel there might be another bunching point once you got to Muscat?

Mallory Ervin: I can't really remember.

Gary Ervin: There were two [teams] in front, only two on that [first flight], so we knew that there were enough on our flight. And then at the time, Chad and Stephanie were missing in action.

Reality TV World: What was your thought about them at that time? Did you have any idea what was going on with them?

Mallory Ervin: No, you know you never think that somebody's going to oversleep on the race. I mean you think that that's unheard of, where like [are they?] They found an extra flight! They found another flight! They found someone to drive them to the airport!

We didn't know what it was but we never thought they would have overslept until we all started thinking about it, talking about it like, do you guys think they really overslept?

Because we didn't see them on the [Pit Stop departure] mat -- because remember we were real close to them at the time, we left before them. So we knew there was something up, but yeah at that time we hadn't seen them.

Reality TV World: Getting back to the proposal, what was your reaction to Chad's proposal? Were you guys around when it happened? Because we saw a bunch of teams clapping but you guys didn't seem to be around there at the time.

Mallory Ervin: Well we saw them walking off and we were like, what are they doing, where are they going? And we were just sitting there waiting for the leg to start and we're thinking, oh my God, they're talking strategy. Did they get a flight? Did they find a cell phone?

And then he got down on one knee and I'm sure I was the first one to be like, "Oh my God!" But it was really cool, you know if you [watch it] on CBS.com it says "the engagement party."

When they came back to the group, everyone's hugging them and we're all good friends, we were all excited. It was a really exciting moment. And we like Chad and Stephanie, so we're glad for them getting engaged, for sure.

Reality TV World: So Chad had actually kept it a secret from everybody at the time?

Mallory Ervin: Oh yeah.

Reality TV World: The way they showed it on TV it looked like you guys kind of were anticipating it, but you're saying you guys thought they might have been sneaking off to do something -- that's why you were keeping an eye on them?

Mallory Ervin: Yeah, no. We had no idea at all. Like no idea, so it was cool. It was really cool to say the least.

Reality TV World: Did you guys have any idea why he decided to do it in Oman? It seemed almost like he realized he might be running out of time or something, because I know he had made a big deal about how he planned to do it on the Race, and between finishing last [in the prior leg] and oversleeping, it seemed like maybe he realized he was running out of chances or something.

Mallory Ervin: Yeah, I think that if you watch that interview on CBS.com, I know that he says, "I wanted to do it during the race but there wasn't really time, and I didn't want to stop in the middle of a leg and be like, Stephanie will you marry me?"

So he wanted to do it when he knew he'd have time and that morning was perfect, and we hadn't even started the leg yet. Yeah, and you don't know how far you're going to make it! So I think that was probably his [thought] -- he was carrying it the whole time -- bless his heart.

But Stephanie kept saying, "Chad why can't you sleep? How could you not sleep all night? Everybody else is sleeping!"

And he was just nervous, I guess. So I guess yeah, all those [reasons] -- I think he thought he was running out of time and he wanted to have some time not during the Race, so I guess.

Reality TV World: Last night's episode showed Jill and Thomas getting hit with that time penalty for paying a taxi driver to lead them to the Pit Stop, which came as a little bit of a surprise because we've seen teams do that type of stuff before.  Was that a new rule for this [entire] season of the Race, or was that just a specific rule that was on the clue for the Pit Stop?

Mallory Ervin: I'm not sure if it's a new rule...

Gary Ervin: No, that's an existing rule.  You can have someone bring you but you can't pay a taxi driver to lead you to a clue location. 

Mallory Ervin: And it said that specifically, like when Michael and Kevin did it -- it said "you must walk to your destination."  And I think it might have said something like "You can't pay a taxi cab."  I mean we knew that rule beforehand.

Reality TV World: What did you guys think of the new "Express Pass" twist that was added this season?

Gary Ervin: It was interesting.  We would have loved to have had it, it basically gives you a second shot at it.

It puts a target on your back but it was a different twist, it made you race a little bit harder to win that leg.  Typically as long as you know you have a few teams behind you, you're okay.  But that makes it to where you want to win it.

Mallory Ervin: Yeah, I think it put a target on their back, though, too.  I mean, I'm almost glad we didn't get it.  It proved to be, yeah, like a target, I think. 

Reality TV World: Earlier this season, Nick and Vicki were shown being completely unaware of how a Fast Forward works and apparently thinking every team could get one, which came as a surprise to many viewers.  Was that a surprise to you too?  Do you know what was going on there? Because I thought [explaining how it worked] was something that was in the rules. 

Gary Ervin: They must not have read that paragraph. (laughs)

Mallory Ervin: I mean it was in the rules, obviously, because she kept on saying, "Taken? what do you mean taken?"  Like it said if the Fast Forward is taken you can't do it, so I think maybe she was just confused as to what they meant by taken. (laughs)

But yeah, we were pretty clear about that rule, that's why we didn't touch it.  Because we obviously would have tried for it for sure, but that's a waste of time [at that point], you know?

Reality TV World: How were you two cast on The Amazing Race?  How did you end up on the show?

Mallory Ervin:  My dad's been a like 10 years or so and I think my Miss America success and everything, it finally got us there.  Yeah, he's been watching it for 10 years on the couch.

Gary Ervin: We went through the application process and just her notoriety from being in the Miss America pageant helped get us to the finals.  And then I guess they liked what they saw in our interviews.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-gary-and-mallory-ervin-talk-about-the-amazing-race-11718.php
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline NotKaren

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
Oh, will you shut up about Chad, interviewer person???

I'm still so heartbroken because Gary is one of my favorite racers of all time and the ONLY real man left this season. He's so focused and hard-working and a fellow introvert. I'll miss him so much, especially with all the annoying little boys left.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
Gary and Mallory of 'The Amazing Race': 'We Wanted to Be a Positive Example'

Carla Patton
Writer, BuddyTV

We're very sad to see you go, you were definitely a fan favorite. Who should we root for now that you're gone? Any teams you formed friendships with and/or are rooting for now?

Mallory: Thank you so much.  That makes it all worth it.  Gosh, every team left is good ... and we loved Michael and Kevin (but I guess you can't root for them).  We loved them all.

It seemed like it was a very close race between you two and Nat and Kat for that final spot, was it really that tight?

Mallory: It was really as close as it looked.  We had one of the longest legs, close to 16 hours we think, then we're minutes apart in those final moments.  It was great to be full on racing until the last second though...we were glad it was so close.

Whose idea was it to be on the show and what made you want to do The Amazing Race?

Mallory: My dad has been sitting on our couch in the living room watching The Amazing Race for almost 10 years now, but never dreamed he would be on he show.  When the idea began bouncing around I knew I had to give this shot everything so that we (especially he) could do this.  I'm one of 4 siblings and it's rare that my dad and I get time with just us two, so that prompted us to want to do it. 

What was your strategy going into the Race? Do you think other teams underestimated you?

Mallory: We wanted to enjoy every second...to not forget that we we're getting to run The Amazing Race! We also wanted to really try and be a positive example throughout.  That was really important to us as well, probably more than the money really.  Other teams underestimated us for sure...but like we said in our first interview, "Don't let the blonde and grey hair fool you!"  I think they thought that my dad or I would give up at any moment even through the first few legs.  It worked to our advantage until they finally realized that we were competition.  After we placed 2nd three times in a row we were a threat, I think.

What was your favorite experience and/or challenge on The Amazing Race?

Gary: I liked the sledding in the Arctic Circle and the Gorodki game in St. Petersburg Russia.

Mallory: My favorite moment was standing on the mat during leg 2 in Ghana.  We thought we were in last and may be eliminated.  When Phil told us that we were still in the race was my favorite moment...we couldn't let ourselves go out that early.  My favorite place was Sweden.  We were burning up hot in Ghana so to dive into those snow challenges was perfect.  I really love dog sledding now!

What from the show are you most proud of? Any regrets?

Gary: Mal's endurance.  Her ability to stay so tough.  I always knew she was tough, but the race is extremely hard and she made me proud toughing it out.  We wish we'd never picked up that map in Oman, but we wouldn't change anything really.

Mallory: I was so proud of my dad's heart, I always am.  He ran that race like he was 20 years old and he was the only reason we got as far as we did.  he is the best dad, and now partner I could ever ask for and I really don't have a single regret.  I still can't believe I got to do this with my dad. 

Anything you were surprised to see watching the show back?

Mallory: Well, we never really remember everything that went on, so we're always surprised.  Also, we didn't see the other teams race a lot of the time.  We were surprised to see Nick and Vicki fighting so much because they were always nice to each other from what we saw.  I'm always surprised at the things we say too.

How was being in The Amazing Race different from what you would expect watching it on TV?

Gary: I think it's much harder.  The parts you don't see as much, the long drives and navigating, the airports, the lack of food and sleep, this is what makes the race so tough.  And, it's a lot better being on the race than watching it on your couch...I never thought I would be one of the ones running it.

Mallory: It's so much better! I think what my dad said it so true.  Those long drives, like the one in Oman where we got lost and I said it was 9 hours, it really was 9 hours.  It really takes a toll on your mind and makes it tough.  I think we're a lot closer than we may appear on tv too.  We really enjoyed the time together. It's probably one of the best things I'll ever do, and to get to do it with my dad was one of the best things I could have ever asked for.  We're so thankful for it.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-amazing-race/gary-and-mallory-of-the-amazin-38659.aspx
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kavin

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:18:09 AM »
According to me, Both are nice but they are not strong contestants in this show.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
According to me, Both are nice but they are not strong contestants in this show.

I agree with you on this.  :cmas16

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
Love how they played!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline libertybell

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »

They are strong contestants they just had bad luck. I would not group them with the other teams that were just nice but not strong. Like erwin and godwin or the beekeepers. They could really compete if given the chance.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
Ericka(after TAR 15) and Mallory(before TAR 17)  :<3

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »

They are strong contestants they just had bad luck. I would not group them with the other teams that were just nice but not strong. Like erwin and godwin or the beekeepers. They could really compete if given the chance.

A series of 4 second placings proved that they're actually considered a strong contender. They just had really bad luck for the first 2 legs and the leg they got eliminated.