Author Topic: TAR 17: Michael Wu and Kevin Wu -- Father/Son  (Read 40079 times)

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 17: Michael Wu and Kevin Wu -- Father/Son
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
I re-watched the relevant parts of episodes 7 & 8, and, even with the penalties, Michael & Kevin would have beat out Chad & Stephanie if Michael wasn't so bad at the roadblock.

Brook & Claire's scheduled departure time for episode 8 was 1:28 AM.

Chad & Stephanie's scheduled departure time for episode 8 was 2:45 AM.

Since Michael & Kevin were at the roadblock before Brook & Claire, and Brook & Claire finished 77 minutes before Chad & Stephanie, and taking into account the extra 30-minute penalty, Michael & Kevin had a cushion of 47 minutes to finish the roadblock and check-in in order to beat Chad & Stephanie for the final spot.

Michael completely sunk their team at the roadblock.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:37:42 PM by slayton »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
I understand, but it's the penalties that ultimately eliminated them.

No penalty = Not eliminated

Simple as that. :(

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
Well we could also say that even with Michael doing poorly at the Roadblock, Michael and Kevin could still have beaten Chad and Stephanie had they not gotten the penalties.

Doing the Roadblock is not within one's control. If the person's weak at it, it can't be helped. But the penalties could have been avoided. Had they taken the time to read the clues carefully, they wouldn't have made such a careless mistake.

So yep, I would feel that the penalties were what ultimately cost them the race. Because such mistakes shouldn't be condoned. They don't need to excel at every task. But they NEED to read the clues.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
I think it is safe to say that Michael and Kevin lost time at both the roadblock and the penalties.......had they only lost time at ONE of them.....they would have stayed in the race........but having both got them Philminated.
Matthew 7:15

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
Avoiding the penalties wouldn't have guaranteed their advancement because there is still the factor of how much time it would have taken them to travel by foot to the church instead of taking a taxi to it.

Kevin said that the church was 5 miles away from the tower, and with Michael having shown that he's not the most athletic person, they would have had to walk the 5 miles to the church and probably get another cab in enough time in order to have beaten Chad & Stephanie.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:21:10 PM by slayton »

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »
Kevin said that the church was 5 miles away from the tower,

That sounds a bit long. On the map it sounds like 2 km from the bridge to the tower and then something similar from the tower to the church. So in total it was probably something like 3miles, assuming they did not take too many false turns.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
I forgot that they didn't take a taxi from the bridge to the tower.  They got penalized for following a taxi from the bridge to the tower.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Hey slayton........did you look at Neobie's map for that episode. It seems that the teams walked a sort of horseshoe, from the Wings bridge to the church. The teams that walked back to get their taxis had a much shorter walk.....sort of crossing the bottom of the horseshoe. That's how come they got to the RB so fast.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »
M\K were penalized an hour. K said his father did the RB for an hour. C\S could have been eliminated w\o M\K's penalty.
Besides, they were never going to win.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »
So annoying that Chad, who I really disliked, beat them.  However one of the best moments of the series for me was when they struggled in Africa but came through and finished and then had it revealed that it was a non-elimation round. 

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
So annoying that Chad, who I really disliked, beat them.  However one of the best moments of the series for me was when they struggled in Africa but came through and finished and then had it revealed that it was a non-elimation round.

Yeah , and their elimination was so ridiculous , they shouldn't receive another 30 minutes penalty...
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »
I was expecting a 30 minute penalty through what they showed in the HLs, so it was a surprise when they said 60.  I was expecting the penalties for both their group and the Chad group to be the same.  Don't know why they wanted to keep Chad a little longer really.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 07:28:30 PM »
The penalties suffered by Michael and Kevin were a result of gross negligence on their part. The clue out of the circus stated that they were not to use a leading cab or to ride in a taxi, both designed to force this to be a footrace in St. Petersburg. Michael and Kevin had infractions of both and their two 30 minute penalties lost out to Chad and Stephanie with just one.

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
I hated when all of my friends complained that they were eliminated due to a "stupid" rule. They also said Kevkumba probably the ONLY team to ever get eliminated from a penalty. I then went all TAR nerd on them and listed most of the other instances where teams were eliminated due to penalties.

Offline PineappleSkin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:59 AM »
I was rooting for this team, but then they messed it up by breaking two rules.  :'(

So sad. And I couldn't even blame other teams for anything, since this was 100% Kevin and Michael's fault.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
For those who, as me, were missing KevJumba on YouTube: he came back and explained it all.

Kevin went through a hard car accident, where he got really bad, like a whole month in hospital. After that, he fell into depression and Michael took him back home.

He says on the new video that he's still not the same. He is currently studying to become a monk or something like this.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
Wow, that is crazy. But at least it sounds like he is at least somewhat ok and I hope he fully recovers.

Also the Monk thing in random (could you think of two more different occupations than Monk and Youtuber. I don't think so) but good for him. It seems to be something that he wants to do so I hope he is fulfilled in that role. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:21:18 PM by theamazingracer21 »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 01:30:57 AM »
Yeah, there were a lot of rumors since Kevin just stopped all social media for a few years, though he'd be spotted here and there.

Still kinda confusing what's going on though now, but he says he'll be talking about it more soon.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
So sorry for what he has being going through. Thankful he seems to have recovered and wishing him well!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
Kevin just posted his acting reel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_X1YGHRQ4) along with this:

To continue my passion and vow to acting. (made back in August 2016).

Thank you to the fans who have continued to see me grow in different forms.

Expect to see comedy videos soon as well.

Definitely awesome news!

Offline Perdoius1

• RFF Newbie
    • common chat room mistakes
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
These guys are awesome. I remember watching Kev on youtube back in the days.