Author Topic: Simon Predicts Idol's Future  (Read 2667 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Simon Predicts Idol's Future
« on: June 05, 2004, 09:42:54 PM »
Simon Predicts Idol's Future
by Daniel R. Coleridge

When Fantasia Barrino won American Idol, no Fanny fan breathed a bigger sigh of relief than Simon Cowell. "Three times in a row, America got it 100-percent right," Simon crows. "Kelly, Ruben and now Fantasia. I would say America is almost becoming as good a judge as me. Almost."

In all seriousness, Simon felt Fantasia's victory over Diana DeGarmo was essential to the AI franchise. "That's why I was quite bullish in saying I thought Fantasia would win," he says. "I was praying Fantasia would win — because without huge record sales at the end, there's no desire the following year to want to win this competition. I genuinely think she is the best yet. I really, really do."

As for the future, Simon is committed to criticize crooners on AI for at least two more seasons. The Brit also promises "one or two" changes in the show's format come January, but he's keeping mum on that for now. He mainly just hopes to stay simple Simon, and avoid going too overboard in the evil-heckler department.

"The difficult part when you come back [as a judge] is there's always the tendency to feel you're the one who should be auditioning for the talent," he chuckles. "You can't help it. There's this horrible thought about becoming a parody of yourself. We remind ourselves on the first day that, actually, we are here to find somebody talented. You have to get that train of thought into your mind, otherwise it all becomes horrible. There sometimes is a tendency to be playing up. Then, it's no longer a reality show."

Speaking of unreal, Simon still can't believe the lousy singers who flock to AI auditions. "They're crap and they all think they're good," he marvels. "William Hung's an exception. He's the only one of the terrible people [from] our show who sort of revels in being terrible again. What's astonishing about William is he doesn't understand that people are taking advantage of him because he's useless.

"I heard he's talking about writing a second album," Simon continues griping. "There's not going to be a second album, William! The joke's over!"

Article found @
http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/040603a.asp

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Simon Predicts Idol's Future
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:54:55 AM »
I can't wait to see if that is true about Fantasia's record sales meet Simon's predictions.  I for one don't think that she is going to do all that well.  Let's wait to hear her voice on the radio and then see if she still has as many fans as before.

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:44:22 PM »
Chagnes....I bet the judges will get to vote and have it weight a heavy percetnage.  Since so many times really good singers were bumped off.

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 12:59:08 AM »
Thanks for posting the article Puddin.  Is Simon serious that Fantasia's win was essential to the AI franchise????  Is he sure that she will have huge record sales???  I think it will depend on the kinds of songs she will sing on the cd and if all those millions that voted for her will actually buy the cd.   I agree with you PapaBEar, I don't think her voice on the radio will cause the chills and stirring of emotions that her singing on tv did.  And as for purchasing the previous winners' cd.  I only purchased Clays CD which I absolutely love because of the songs.  I did not purchase Ruben's because I didn't like his Sorry 2004 song!!  What is that song about?  I want to hear him sing the ballads that made him the velvet teddy bear.  And Kelly's cd is on my list to purchase as is Tamrya's. B:) B:) B:)