Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 392891 times)

TARP_Lover

Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
Could somebody explain, what happened with Hanoi in TAR22? I mean, why are you referring to it as controversal?

Try searching it on google. Some weirdos thought it would be fun to rip on TAR because it had a communist song as the RB, the B-52 memorial, etc.

Offline purefluff

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Purefluff
« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
It was considered highly offensive (anti-American by some) to have the racers visit a Vietnamese war memorial which contained a crashed American aircraft.  American soldiers presumably died in the plane.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/cbs-apologizes-for--insensitive--vietnam-segment-on--amazing-race--121704709.html

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
WHAT that seems stupid to me
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:20:01 PM by Marionete »

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »
Reviving this old topic because although it is known that the body-building task in TAR 19 was part of a detour, In the NZ TV Guide for this leg (which is only airing for the first time this coming Saturday) it also states that they face body building as part of a Detour. I guess the average NZ Amazing Race viewer who reads it will be confused when the episode airs and there is "no detour"
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
In TAR 21 leg 9 if the chipps accidentally dropped their detour clue and forced to return back to retrieve their ones, would U-Turn board affect them?

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
In TAR 21 leg 9 if the chipps accidentally dropped their detour clue and forced to return back to retrieve their ones, would U-Turn board affect them?

How would the U-turn affect the Chippendales if they passed it before Trey & Lexi could use it on them? Also, to my knowledge, if a team dropped a clue they already picked up from a clue box or such, they don't have to retrieve it unless they WANT to. This pertains to lost clues (such as Wil & Tara in the S2 finale). Teams, however, could not pick up another clue from the box if they lost their original clue (such as Freddie & Kendra in S6 Leg 2).

Besides, the alliance's plan was the first team to arrive at the U-Turn board would U-Turn Abbie & Ryan. If Trey & Lexi arrived there and saw both slots weren't used, they would use it on the dating divorcees, not Jaymes & James. The Chippendales would arrive next, and they would U-Turn Trey & Lexi, completing their U-Turn contract.
I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
TAR21 didn't have a good cast but it had a great boot order.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
TAR can't continue on like this.  All the Ford and Snapple sponsorships won't be enough to help. They need to make big improvements.

I wholeheartedly agree. I remember reading a post on Rob Has a Website (as well as some posts here) about possible improvements. One of the biggest ones needs to be casting. I feel that , the only good (recent) casts were 17 and 21. I think that CBS should take a look at the Aus2 cast. I could handle a mediocre route if the casting is spot on like it was that season. If we're lucky, maybe CBS will look at the backlash from the casting this season. I would work on the casting, then the route in that order, since most people are going to see the cast first.

I strongly disagree that 17 was a good cast.
I felt the only truely great teams from 17 were Gary & Mallory, Kevin & Michael, Brooke & Claire, and Ron & Tony who didn't even get time to shine.

I still stand by S23 having the best Post UB cast, it just had a horrible boot order!  :groan:

I'll agree however that Aus2 had amazing cast. It's prob one of the finest castings in TAR history.

TAR21 didn't have a good cast but it had a great boot order.

I really didn't like the boot order for 21. One of my favourites were the first boot, slowly followed by everyone else I was rooting for.  Of the final 5, I only cared for the Beekmans.

But, no matter who we root for, we have to remember it's not the producers fault if the season has a bad boot order.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
Casting-wise, TAR22 is the best.

The Final 7 was just simply amazing, minus Bates & Anthony.

Boot-list wise, TAR 23 and 21 was good too.

I genuinely liked the TAR 23 Final Six especially Tim & Marie, as well as the TAR 21 Final Five minus the Beekmans.

TAR 19's cast though....  :funny:

I hated the cast pre-race, but during the race itself, I actually liked almost everyone. The only team I don't like in that season now is Ron & Bill, but that's because they were invisible.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »
In conclusion, TAR 20 sucks the most. :funny:

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2014, 12:02:49 AM »
In conclusion, TAR 20 sucks the most. :funny:

I loved TAR 20. I just hated that Art & JJ and Rachel & Dave made it all the way to the end.

Casting-wise, it was pretty good tbh. The only teams I didn't like were the two mentioned above +Elliot & Andrew.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2014, 05:28:05 AM »
TAR20 was a pretty good season imo but that might be overshadowed by the fact it was followed by TAR21.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
I actually really like 19-22 more than tar23.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
In my opinion TAR19 had an okay cast, only had the boot order been different :res: And TAR23 could've gone from very good to really bad if only the NFLs didn't have their flight problems. I mean, that season would've sucked without TimMarie :funny:

Offline Norwegian Boy

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
I disagree with most of you on this one! Season 19 and 20 had a great cast  :hoot:, 21 are okey, 22 are boring (Am I the only one who thinks this  ???) and season 23 is good too.

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2014, 02:27:51 AM »
Cast-wise, my favorite out of the finished post-UB seasons are S23 and S21. The frontrunners in S22 were a bit ... flat. That's why my favorites from that season were Pam & Winnie and Joey & Meghan. S20 teams were a bit unmemorable for me, and in S19, I really liked Bill & Cathi and Ernie & Cindy.
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
Taking into account the route, tasks, and team cast, here are my RAW thoughts (not based on editing) on the post-UB seasons excluding the current TAR24:

TAR19: This season featuring the first ever double-elimination at a single Pit Stop had high promise. The route delivered with exclusive firsthand features of new countries such as Indonesia, Malawi, Denmark, and Belgium, but stumbled with the tasks. Remember the predictable disassemble/reassemble Roadblock in the second Thailand leg? The cast was decent, but had a dry sense of personality. In my opinion, Andy & Tommy trucking through tasks and Bill & Cathi's surprise finishes saved this season.

TAR20: This is the last season we've seen teams travel to a newly visited country (Azerbaijan) and it was a drama-filled run indeed with the notoriety of Brendon & Rachel loudly on the loose. The route in the first half of the Race was really good with a diverse amount of locomotives and regional areas within a country. Tasks happened to be quite interesting. However, the last half of the race starting from Tanzania went downhill especially with the Hiroshima-Osaka, Japan visit that could have been easily enjoyable (didn't like any of the tasks, especially the Japanese game show rehash). Teams this season each had their dominant traits whether physically, mentally, or verbally. Like what Phil stated in his pre-season cast assessment, any team had the ability to be champions.

TAR21: Based on editing, the first season to not feature a new country proved to be a turn in the wrong direction. However, based on raw scenes, this could be a decent race. The route was marginal since the first 2/3 of the race stabbed the season with strictly airport to airport locomotion. As for the tasks, most have promise. Casting this season happened to be very interesting with many regular-appearance folks, interesting semi-celebrities with key personalities, and two teams with rolling luggage like Maria & Tiffany.

TAR22: A season with a new special region, but no confirmable new country. The route had a steady flow of locomotion, but the tasks were generic and one leg happened to not involve any cultural or historical reference to New Zealand at all, but rather Chuck & Wynona-land. I'd consider this season as ethnically diverse, but the cast, like TAR19, had dry personalities just scratching the surface of their real hearts.

TAR23: Like season 21, this race featured zero new countries, but had a route that had hope. I have seen better tasks on the other hand. (Like seriously, stand like a statue? That's what they've come down to?) Most of the teams this season had dominant personalities such as pro athletes and athletic heiresses, perfectionist doctors, and friends and family who work well together. This season happened to be one of the few that actually had flavorful personalities, whether sweet or sour.

RAW SEASON RANKING (Best to Not-So-Great): TAR23, TAR22, TAR20, TAR21, TAR19
WITH EDITING RANKING: TAR22, TAR19, TAR23, TAR20, TAR21
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:07:14 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »
Okay, I'm off topic, but I have a question about Season 11.

I just read that some racers ran into Chip in the airport in Miami  :hoot:

Could someone point me in the right direction where I might be able to watch this? I have Googled and YouTubed the past 48 and have come up with nothing.

Thank you.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
Okay, I'm off topic, but I have a question about Season 11.

I just read that some racers ran into Chip in the airport in Miami  :hoot:

Could someone point me in the right direction where I might be able to watch this? I have Googled and YouTubed the past 48 and have come up with nothing.

Thank you.
Oooh, TAR11 is quite a long time ago, I doubt there would be visual evidence available (photos maybe, but most likely not videos). ??? Plus, I'm not sure which winner you are talking about, TAR4's semi-celebrity Chip or TAR5's first African-American winners Chip.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
I wasn't sure which Chip either, but for some reason I guessed it was Chip & Kim.

I figured it was probably too long ago, but I gave it a shot anyway.

Thanks

Offline albegrato

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
If they win they'll be as worst as Josh & Brent as winners

Why are Josh & Brent bad winners? If you ask me, it was great that they won. :)
I'm gonna fight 'em all

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »

They aren't horrible i.e bad winners in the sense that they were horrible people, but it's their lack of competitive drive that ruined them for me. During their whole nightmare airplane debacle, they didn't run through those legs, they just limped through those legs. They wanted to be with Abbie/Ryan even on a Double U-Turn leg and it's just something I hated while there were teams like Natalie/Nadiya who were just so happy to be there, Josh & Brent were just THERE. That's it. I really want CaroJen to win though!

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »

Because I found them rather annoying and grating, and even though they did feel the need to be there and win fairly, I feel that the Dream Team (especially NaNa) were more deserving winners.

Offline Puppet

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Arcanine <3
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »

I felt that they didn't really want to win when they offered Abbie & Ryan to U-Turn them in Amsterdam (correct me if I am wrong). It's like Chips, NaNa and Trexi really wanted to win, and they won accidentally because the others couldn't do the language roadblock. But I was overall neutral to them, but didn't felt that they should win.

P.S. I would love to see Country win this season <3
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person and she looks perfect
I don't deserve this, you look perfect tonight

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »

Because I found them rather annoying and grating, and even though they did feel the need to be there and win fairly, I feel that the Dream Team (especially NaNa) were more deserving winners.

I liked Josh and Brent, but I liked the TWINNIES! more.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax