Author Topic: Did Matt's Ploy Backfire?  (Read 4322 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Did Matt's Ploy Backfire?
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Has Matt's ploy to get sympathy by telling a lie about a sick wife generated a backfire?

Sick joke backfires on 'BB'

By LINDA STASI

Last Updated: 10:03 AM, July 23, 2010

Posted: 2:16 AM, July 23, 2010

'BIG Brother" -- some one should be watching you.

In a new low for reality TV, the producers are allowing a "houseguest" to lie to other contestants that his wife is suffering from melorheostosis, a disease that strikes the young, bringing a lifetime of disability, deformity and pain.

On Wednesday night, despicable contestant Matt Hoffman snarked in his private video confession that he'd been spreading the word that his wife was striken with melorheostosis and that he was on the show to win the $500,000 first prize for an expensive operation.

"Just to be abundantly clear, my wife does not have melorheostosis or any other disease," he laughingly told the audience when none of the other "Big Brother" contestants could hear him. "Who would vote off a guy who's just trying to save his wife's leg?"

I can answer that! All the parents coping with a relentlessly progressive disease overtaking their children, that's who.

Matt says he first heard of the disease on a cable TV show and was simply spouting back what he could remember.

The Melorheostosis Association, for one, isn't laughing at this clever ruse.

"If Matt thinks melorheostosis is funny, he should look at the video on our Web site showing some of the beautiful little children afflicted with this catastrophic disease," Kathleen Harper, chair of the Melorheostosis Association (www.melorheostosis.com) told The Post yesterday.

Read the rest here
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Debbi

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Full Member
Re: Did Matt's Ploy Backfire?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »
Wow! You know I was kind of liking Matt till he made his Jonny Fairplay move. Now I think he's pretty much scum. Thanks for the article TL.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »
Adam did the same thing in the Season That Shall Not be Mentioned... I don't think he ever donated any money to that charity group that he said he would.

Offline Debbi

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:33:18 PM »
This is only my second year watching BB, but I've downloaded a lot of old seasons trying to catch up. Seems like a dirty thing to do. I know a person has to play the game and can't always be honest, but lying about your family to try and get sympathy votes is about as low as you can go IMO.

Offline BlueberriPie

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »
Yeah I was kind of liking Matt at first but his cockiness and now this sick ploy has turned me completely off. I was hoping Andrew would catch it since he seemed to questioning it in his head.
Matt could possibly de-throne Evil Dick on how low he would go to win the game.
BB 12 favorites: Ragan, Enzo and Kristen!!!

Offline Will4Pres

• RFF Full Member
  • I Thought There Was No Chill Town
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
Yeah I was kind of liking Matt at first but his cockiness and now this sick ploy has turned me completely off. I was hoping Andrew would catch it since he seemed to questioning it in his head.
Matt could possibly de-throne Evil Dick on how low he would go to win the game.

no one can de-throne that low life piece of trash (thats as nice as i could word it)  (:;)

I really wish Matt wouldn't have took that route in this game... There is nothing he can do to take it back now. If he admits to lying then he might as well pack his bags and he'll be out and if he keeps it going then Viewers will loathe him.

Aside from that part of his game play, he is actually a likable player

There is always the possibility that his lie will be exposed. The more he talks about it the more questions will come and he doesn't seem to be that educated on the disease.

He has dug a hole thats for sure  :duno:

Offline northernlite

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »
I would be scared to death to temp fate like Matt is doing.  I also find it really disgusting that anyone could sink that low.  He is just another brilliant little man with zero social skills or common sense.   (:;)

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »
The SOUP has  made fun of Matt this week with his deplorable lie.

I haven't found an uploaded clip of it yet but  you can see it if you go to E!'s link to the soup.
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline del227

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »
Matt's lie was a "Hot Topic" on the "View" today so if you are West Coast maybe you can catch it... I think ABC.com also would have a clip later

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:00:49 PM »
Matt's lie was a "Hot Topic" on the "View" today so if you are West Coast maybe you can catch it... I think ABC.com also would have a clip later

What did the ladies on the View think? Pro or con?

Welcome to RFF del227!

:welcome3:

Offline del227

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome. .. The ladies of the "View" thought it was pretty disgusting what Matt did.. Elisabeth was really vocal as always..one of the few times I agreed with her  :tup:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
They have different backgrounds and opinions and it's good to know they didn't like what he did!

Offline kc

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Happy Sunny Day
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 04:44:20 PM »
I have met quite a few "genius" in my life, and I am always amazed they always feel the need to tell you just how much smarter they are,  I just find it amazing when most time they are doing the same job I am.  I just wonder if he is so smart, why is he only in web design, how come he is not doing what most of the would think genius should be doing????