Author Topic: People with disabilities on future seasons of Big Brother?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Chameleon777

• RFF Not So Newbie
People with disabilities on future seasons of Big Brother?
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:22:45 AM »
What are your thoughts on people with intellectual or attention-related disabilities being cast in future seasons of Big Brother?

It's nice to see people with physical issues conquer great feats, yes, but I would honestly like to see more, like myself, with intellectual or attention-related disabilities, also referred to as "invisible disabilities" in the House.

People with "invisible disabilities" are often shunned and ignored because if society can't SEE that a person has disabilities, they are not disabled, just weird and should be ignored or openly shunned....it's a common indifference that is fueled by ignorance and I speak from pure experience...

Also, what about people with physical challenges? The only one I remember seeing is Eddie and he lost his leg to cancer...what about someone in a wheelchair, someone with prosthetic body parts or a deaf person?

What thoughts are there on this issue?

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: People with disabilities on future seasons of Big Brother?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
Interesting question, I don't know the answer. All reality shows are cast for a one reason, ratings. The people chosen are screened to fit a narrative to peak viewer's interest, and screened for personality traits. With BB I think it's conflict, showmances, heartwarming people, liars, whiners, and how that person would fit in with the other HGs, whatever fits the "theme" for the season. This season seems to be the interaction of really high IQ people.

I think with a show like Big Brother a person would need to have a strong personality and a real sense of self esteem or this game could be devastating. Take for example Chima who really self destructed in my opinion. Dealing with Russell was too much for her given her personal experience of being raped.

Apply for the show when they have interviews and give it a try! Good luck to you Chameleon.  :tup:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:30:06 PM by TexasLady »
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
Interesting question, I don't know the answer. All reality shows are cast for a one reason, ratings. The people chosen are screened to fit a narrative to peak viewer's interest, and screened for personality traits. With BB I think it's conflict, showmances, heartwarming people, liars, whiners, and how that person would fit in with the other HGs, whatever fits the "theme" for the season. This season seems to be the interaction of really high IQ people.

I think with a show like Big Brother a person would need to have a strong personality and a real sense of self esteem or this game could be devastating. Take for example Chima who really self destructed in my opinion. Dealing with Russell was too much for her given her personal experience of being raped.

Apply for the show when they have interviews and give it a try! Good luck to you Chameleon.  :tup:

I never thought it was dealing with Russell that caused Chima to self-destruct -- though I agree that she did self-destruct.  I kind of thought it was her inability to handle anything that didn't go her way -- and perhaps a very low self-esteem issue, which may have been partly caused by the rape -- that caused her to self-destruct like that.

Belle Book

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
You could be right Belle, she had a lot of issues and never should have been brought into the house. I do think Russell didn't help though.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
You could be right Belle, she had a lot of issues and never should have been brought into the house. I do think Russell didn't help though.

No, if she and Russell didn't get along or stopped doing I doubt it helped Chima any.  But Russell wasn't the real problem -- her mental state was.

Belle Book

Offline northernlite

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »
I would not call her disabled but I do think that Cathy has more of a hurdle in the physical challenges than the other houseguests  due to the amount of meds. she has to take everyday.  From the sounds of it Cathy almost died from her cancer.  She is very inspirational. :cheer: