Author Topic: TAR 17 New Game Play Twist  (Read 37799 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 17 New Game Play Twist
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »
Well the new penalty for non elimination did actually increase production costs (as it was the first time there was a cost to any penalty for non elimination).  I would prefer the new twist to being able to skip a task.  And could we please, please get rid of the U-Turn.  I utterly hate it.  It makes me really question why I watch the show.  I mean seriously, if they are going to have racers actively working to hinder other teams, why do they have rules where you can't hinder a teams progress.  It goes against the very nature of the rules and spirit of the show.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
I want it gone too! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
I want it gone too! :tup:
Not me.  I like it.

Offline Competitor

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:36 AM »
Well the new penalty for non elimination did actually increase production costs (as it was the first time there was a cost to any penalty for non elimination).  I would prefer the new twist to being able to skip a task.  And could we please, please get rid of the U-Turn.  I utterly hate it.  It makes me really question why I watch the show.  I mean seriously, if they are going to have racers actively working to hinder other teams, why do they have rules where you can't hinder a teams progress.  It goes against the very nature of the rules and spirit of the show.

I understand that the producers want there to be some form of interaction as the teams go head to head. I think that is the idea behind the U-Turn. What if they did away with the U-Turn as we know it (making teams do the other detour task) but allowed teams to U-Turn a team where the other team has to perform a speed-bump sized task. Instead of a team getting bumped back by a matter of hours, they could be knocked back by 15-30 minutes.

Just a thought.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
As i've said before, I like U-TURNs but they freaking have to be side by side each other like in Season 12 (Lorena and Jason's) U-TURN. The team will already be losing undetermined amount of time performing another task, why make them lost more time travelling? And also, the other side of the U-TURN must be something that can be done and completed.. Seriously, who knows MORSE CODE? It made me piss when Joe and Heidi got eliminated and it is not because i liked them but because it is not their own fault that they were gone.

And i think we're thinking too much into the Express Pass, like we did for the Speedbump. It's going to be like literally like what it's name suggest, that one team can choose to skip a task. But maybe getting the Express Pass might be something difficult. I don't think the producers would like to have teams constantly harping on the fact that they can skip a task.. I want to believe that the producers will not go into such an extent as to allow all the teams to have one chance to skip a task at any one point throughout the entire race...

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:01 AM »
As i've said before, I like U-TURNs but they freaking have to be side by side each other like in Season 12 (Lorena and Jason's) U-TURN. The team will already be losing undetermined amount of time performing another task, why make them lost more time travelling? And also, the other side of the U-TURN must be something that can be done and completed.. Seriously, who knows MORSE CODE? It made me piss when Joe and Heidi got eliminated and it is not because i liked them but because it is not their own fault that they were gone.

And i think we're thinking too much into the Express Pass, like we did for the Speedbump. It's going to be like literally like what it's name suggest, that one team can choose to skip a task. But maybe getting the Express Pass might be something difficult. I don't think the producers would like to have teams constantly harping on the fact that they can skip a task.. I want to believe that the producers will not go into such an extent as to allow all the teams to have one chance to skip a task at any one point throughout the entire race...

Perhaps they need to give up their money or possessions for it? Some sort of trade-off, perhaps?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 11:04:25 AM »

Perhaps they need to give up their money or possessions for it? Some sort of trade-off, perhaps?
how about exchange skipping a task and then having to complete a speedbump on the next leg?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »
Seriously, who knows MORSE CODE?
I know morse code, as does anyone who was in the Boy Scouts or was an ham radio enthusiast (pre-internet nerd) during the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.
Most people know at least 2 letters - s and o - so they can send an sos when their ship starts sinking...

... --- ...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

HiddenPerson

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »
I've always thought that the u-turn was a stupid twist -- it's way to hard to make up time.
They should just bring back classic TAR with the yield. The way it was back when I loved it.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Since the "Express Pass" was known about by the racers in Logan, I wonder if they received a physical pass (like a passport) at the beginning of the race, with instructions on how to use it?
I'm guessing its something that allows a team one time to strategically bypass any task at any time in the race. I would use it if I got U-Turned and was in danger of being eliminated.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
I would use it at any one point when i know i'm in dead last and all the other teams have already somehow started on the task and looks like they're going to complete.

And yes, i know the simple morse code, but if you do a google search on how many percent of the Americans actually do know how to use the morse code.. i don't think you'll be pleased with the results. When teens can't even locate the US on the map.. *cough* Caite. LOL.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »

I agree. The best U-Turn I can think of was the un-aired one in TAR13 at the Moscow military camp (Boots or Borscht). Both Detours were in the same compound, so teams wouldn't have wasted loads of time travelling between tasks.

For Express Pass, I think it'll be an actual, phyiscal pass that they can trade in for the next clue, as opposed to teams just looking in the camera and saying, "We choose to use our Express Pass." I mean, we're all just kinda guessing what it will do exactly, but we still don't know how to get one, how to use one, or even what it necessarily does. But if it does do what we think it does, I would hope that there would be a limit on a number of teams that can use the Express Pass on any give task, preferably 1.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
I do like the concept of the U-turn, but like the FF, it has to appear more frequently to have any sense of strategy, and the two tasks should be located near each other.

I personally think that Joe and Heidi had ample amounts of time to solve that Morse Code and beat Jeff and Jordan. It was only 25 characters, and they had the translation book. They just didn't tackle it methodically because being U-turned messed with their minds. My issue with that leg was there was only one major task, and there was pretty much no way to recover.

In classic TAR, the producers would have made the teams go on an epic 500 km+ drive from Hamburg to France, not use some mobile pitstop as a cheap way out. That alone would have made the episode more fun to watch.

The express pass will be a physical item that allows a team to bypass any one task up to a certain point in the race (Leg 8 maybe?).

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
Caution!  :ot: Ahead.

In reality, I was really glad Joe & Heidi were U-Turned. I hated the way Joe interacted with his wife. Saying, "I'm the team leader" is fine with me, but saying that Heidi should do the Leg 2 Roadblock because it involves her being in the kitchen is pushing it. Then saying "Why would you U-Turn a guy with a busted knee and a wife?" over and over again at Elimination Station made me angry to no end. The way he said it made it seem like he thought of his wife as nothing more than an incumberence, that she was going to slow him down and keep him from winning the Race. I know people give Louie & Michael a hard time for doing it, but I think Joe needed to be taken down a peg.

Okay. Sorry about that. :)

I think it's good that the producers are still finding ways to implement new things into the Race. It keeps the Race from stagnating, and we haven't really seen anything new since TAR12. Express Pass sounds awesome, regardless of what it ends up being. I have yet to meet a twist I didn't like.  :tup: (Except the reduction of number of Fast Forwards, but that's not really much of a twist.)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Seriously, who knows MORSE CODE?
I know morse code, as does anyone who was in the Boy Scouts or was an ham radio enthusiast (pre-internet nerd) during the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.
Most people know at least 2 letters - s and o - so they can send an sos when their ship starts sinking...

... --- ...

Detectives with skills...I love it!

I once knew all the semaphore signals...thanks to reading Arthur Ransome! But they are "Gone with the Wind" now  :'(

And just a reminder...we now have a thread available for Discussions of previous seasons...

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,22643.msg540607.html#new

:waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »
And just a reminder...we now have a thread available for Discussions of previous seasons...

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,22643.msg540607.html#new

:waves:

I know, I'm sorry! I got on a roll and couldn't stop it!

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »
Caution!  :ot: Ahead.

In reality, I was really glad Joe & Heidi were U-Turned. I hated the way Joe interacted with his wife. Saying, "I'm the team leader" is fine with me, but saying that Heidi should do the Leg 2 Roadblock because it involves her being in the kitchen is pushing it. Then saying "Why would you U-Turn a guy with a busted knee and a wife?" over and over again at Elimination Station made me angry to no end. The way he said it made it seem like he thought of his wife as nothing more than an incumberence, that she was going to slow him down and keep him from winning the Race. I know people give Louie & Michael a hard time for doing it, but I think Joe needed to be taken down a peg.

Okay. Sorry about that. :)

I think it's good that the producers are still finding ways to implement new things into the Race. It keeps the Race from stagnating, and we haven't really seen anything new since TAR12. Express Pass sounds awesome, regardless of what it ends up being. I have yet to meet a twist I didn't like.  :tup: (Except the reduction of number of Fast Forwards, but that's not really much of a twist.)

:ot:

And I know you guys give **** to Brent & Caite but look at it this way. Those bozos are never going to challenge the other teams for first, they were also going to be at the back of the pack. U don't know where Dan & Jordan is.  Louie & Mike you can beat them in a footrace (they're too much of coffee and doughnuts). Jet & Cord are beatable, as they showed in Seychelles (they were lucky in Penang but let's not get into there here). That leaves Carol & Brandy to U-turn.

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
Who knows what the Express Pass would be? It may just be a replacement name for the Fast Forward.
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
One EP for the first-leg winner? I'd like it better if they handed out EPs to each team at the start, telling them the passes could only be used once: turn it into a wild-card thing.
(Or hand them out to the winner of each leg; I think the teams would appreciate an EP more than a catamaran  :lol:)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
I'd like a wild card Express pass a LOT! And subtract the U-turn and you are back to teams using STRATEGY! Novel idea... :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline The Queen V

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Here comes the queen!
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »
One EP for the first-leg winner? I'd like it better if they handed out EPs to each team at the start, telling them the passes could only be used once: turn it into a wild-card thing.
(Or hand them out to the winner of each leg; I think the teams would appreciate an EP more than a catamaran  :lol:)

where was this seen? is it shown in an article already? or is this just a speculation?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »
From the official cast reveal:

This season's cast of Racers will travel over 32,000 miles, covering four continents and 30 cities, with first-time visits to Bangladesh, Ghana and the Arctic Circle. Additionally, for the first time in the history of the Race, the Team to finish in first place during the premiere episode will be awarded a surprise, game-changing advantage.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,23143.0.html

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
Additionally, for the first time in the history of the Race, the Team to finish in first place during the premiere episode will be awarded a surprise, game-changing advantage.

...Which may or may not be the Express Pass. I'm leaning toward it being the case, though.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
Why not as long as you win a leg, you win an Express Pass.. however you can only use it once throughout the entire race.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 04:37:26 AM »
Would that help strong teams leap further ahead?