Author Topic: Just A question  (Read 4698 times)

Offline wyleway

• RFF Newbie
Just A question
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
Hello

I am not trolling I am seriously wondering. WHY DO PEOPLE INSIST ON WATCHING REALITY TV? First off it is junk its based on drama after watching one or two shows the rest seem the same. Secondly the drama is all hype.
It just seems that Scripted tv is a million times better even though its fake it still is juicy and enjoyable unlike reality. Can someone please enlighten me why people watch trash tv and secondly why is it becoming more popular than scripted?

-Confused

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: Just A question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »
I think people watch for a lot of different reasons. I don't think it's all trash although some of it is for me.   :lol:  I also don't think they insist on it but rather watch because the networks have figured out that it's much cheaper to produce a reality show than actually hire writers and develop a good, strongly written show.

Big Brother can be interesting because of the personalities they bring into the house and how they interact with others. Their true personality comes out no matter how much they try to hide it or embellish it. However we never see 100% of what happens even with the feeds because the producers control the cameras.

Welcome to RFF wyleway.

BTW, we wouldn't be RealityFanForum without the shows!  :yess:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
I believe that Reality TV is just as much of an escape as any other entertainment medium.  One thing that I like about Reality TV is that you never have to suspend belief.  I enjoy many scripted shows also, but even in my favorites, I sometimes finding myself saying, "that would never happen that way."

There are also Reality shows that I don't follow.  I'm a fan of some and not of others, just like with scripted shows.

Reality is also a form of escape where a fan can say, "I could do that.  I'd be great at that," or even, "you wouldn't catch me doing that, ever."

I'm not sure about the popularity, but I do know that Reality is cheaper to produce than scripted TV, so the networks will keep putting it out as long as there are fans to watch it.

Entertainment offers something for everyone.  I guess the question could be, "why do you hate Reality TV so much?"

Oh, and :welcome: to RFF.

Offline Knarley

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56:15 AM »
I enjoy reality tv , especially Big Brother, mainly because of realityfanforum. The updaters are absolutely the Best. And there is something going on everyday not just weekly. There is always some one to discuss the show with or to catch you up on whats happening if you happen to miss something. And when you are watching Big Brother..you are never alone. Between CBS, Showtime2, and RealityFanForum, it is entertainment at it's best. You gotta love it, even when you hate it. lol

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
It depends on the person -- and on the show.  I generally watch Big Brother only to find out who's going home that week.  I watch Survivor if it's got what I think is an interesting cast but I'm also more interested in who's going home than anything else.  Hell's Kitchen is more of a guilty pleasure for me -- I like seeing Gordon Ramsay yell at the cooks.   :-[

Then there are the ones I really like.  When The Mole was on, I loved it because of the mystery aspect.  I watch The Amazing Race because I like seeing the places they go.  Also, sometimes there's a team I can really root for.  And finally, I always find someone to root and vote for on American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance.

Belle Book

Offline BamBam

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
I admit that I am a total Reality TV junkie but honestly couldn't give you a reason why.  :duno:  I enjoy watching personalities interact with each other, especially under stress.  It's a lot like people watching at the mall or a sporting event.  Lots of different personalities mixing and not always for the better.

Some people like to watch sports, some watch News, some like soap operas, we like Reality TV.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

But I will agree that the posters here on RFF give everything an added touch.  Very nice people that are fun to chat with!  :hearts:

Offline Blondie

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Watch out, I will chop you!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »
 :waves:  Just look at some of the photochops,  :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:   Big Brother keeps me laughing!

:lol3: :lol3: The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
                                                    Mark Twain

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth...AMEN..!!

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 03:42:26 PM »
I echo the statements of everyone else and love Reality TV for the same reasons. I've liked Big Brother ever since I was 18 and it first started back in 2000 when I was entering college. It's a great show full of different personalities, twists, competitions, etc. You never know which 12-14 HGs will enter the Big Brother House and have their lives changed forever and watched before millions.

I mean these people have no contact with the outside world - unless they win a phone call home or receive a letter, and not internet, media, telephone, etc. and that's difficult but makes it all the more exciting.

I'm ready for Season 12 and it's almost here.

Offline sunshine26

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »
hi ya!!!..i love and watch BB...cuz to me it is a GREAT game, yes it has the drama, but it is real drama,[and i love it !!! the more the better :lol3: it is a game to out smart, out last, everyone in the bb house, i love to watch to see who i think has it in them to win the game, some HGs can come up with ways of making others do whatever they want, and thats amazing to me that one or one's can follow a puppet master, knowing this is bb, now thats a great mind player, also i love the comps, there are those who can go out there when their ass is on the line of going home, and win veto after veto, thats a great player also, then there are those who lay low, dont stand out, stay out of the drama, so no one even thinks of putting up that hg or giving them the boot, again thats a good player, bb is just a GREAT game, of humans fighting to the end for 1/2 millon dollars, and watching the live feeds, knowing in one room a small groups wants someone out [like right now] and all along we see that person doesnt even got a clue about it, its just fun to watch all the planning, and gameplay that these hgs come up with, I [we] yell at the screeen saying NOOOooooooo....are we yell at the screeen YESsssssssss...bb to me is just a wonderful real human great game....welcome, and i so wish if you could get the feeds to bb, you would love it, i know i use to be that person, that said why????? in the world are people paying to watch these people 24/7...are they NUTS!!!!!.....then i hit the live feed button, and sure enough i was hooked....and therefore i guess i am NUTS :colors :lol3:....bb, its just a great game that i love.
A Day Without Sunshine, Is..Well...Night.