Author Topic: TAR 17 Speculation  (Read 343325 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 17 Speculation
« Reply #800 on: December 02, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »
According to an ex-girlfriend of a friend of a friend's cousin, they ended in Santa Barbara, California.

I copied this over from the TAR 17 speculation thread though I'm not sure it qualifies as a real live sighting. Peach, move it if you think it needs to be elsewhere.

I found this intriguing little message on Suite101.com from last July at http://www.suite101.com/content/amazing-race-17-gets-started-in-gloucester-boston-massachusetts-a241709.

does any one know if TAR 18 is filming?
I saw some people running in Santa Barbara Califonia and clearly saw one gilr holding the TAR clue.
then I follow them to a alice keck park in Santa Barbara and there was huge bolling pins and so I'm just wondering

Unfortunately, the person is listed as "guest" so we won't be able to follow up on it. Steven Fife at the Suite101.com web site politely said it was probably a local race. He is quite possibly right since July is not when TAR 17 (or 18) was run, however if the guest was mentioning something that was seen a month earlier in June, then this report gets much more interesting. Given that 5 of the last 6 participants are "gilrs" that is in the report's favor. 

Here are a couple of links to Alice Keck park:
http://www.santabarbara.com/activities/parks/alicekeck/
http://www.rth.org/sb/

It does look like a place that could be used for a detour/roadblock. Lots of trees and trails for a small city block sized park that might briefly make it hard to find the detour/roadblock. Huge bowling pins might be unlikely for a local TAR knock off race. You can reserve the park of events/weddings at http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/eRecreation/Facilities/FacilitiesDetail.asp?FacilityId=16. It has a calendar but doesn't allow you to go back into the past.

I'd rate this as a low probability of being the real TAR, but thus far, it's the only possible indication of the finish line location I've seen.

Plaidmoon

By fudging around with the URL I was able to look at bookings for Alice Keck park back in June.
The park was available on June 15 - but was booked on June 16th from 2pm to 5:30pm - which may be a day too late. But strangely - that's the only day the park was officially booked in all of June and July.
Could we be off by a day?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #801 on: December 02, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
By fudging around with the URL I was able to look at bookings for Alice Keck park back in June.
The park was available on June 15 - but was booked on June 16th from 2pm to 5:30pm - which may be a day too late. But strangely - that's the only day the park was officially booked in all of June and July.

I would think that if it was a local race it would have been reserved. Since the comment was made in July can you find out if it was reserved then? I still find it a little odd that she would mention something that happened on June 15 on July 23rd. However it is definitely possible considering the context.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #802 on: December 02, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

I would think that if it was a local race it would have been reserved. Since the comment was made in July can you find out if it was reserved then? I still find it a little odd that she would mention something that happened on June 15 on July 23rd. However it is definitely possible considering the context.
:colealert: :ty4posting :hammer

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #803 on: December 02, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I noticed that to, even with past seasons as well. Espeically Meghan and Cheyne. Maybe Nat and Kat won :duno:

If previous winners had confessionals taken after the Race revealed before the final leg was shown, then there's a good chance Nat & Kat are the winners!  I sure hope so!   :yess:

Incidentally Levi, although Nat's face doesn't seem to be that of a winner, that doesn't necessarily mean she & Kat lost.  They could be talking about something else and Nat is frowning in recollection of it.

Belle Book

It is not uncommon for winners and non-winners to have confessionals from the Finale shown along the way. I can think of many. So that is no way indicative of anything.

The thing here is to see if we can conclusively find this location...so start looking guys!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #804 on: December 02, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »
Thuja (arborvitae) is everywhere, but the paving looks unusual; if we can put the two together it will be a match.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #805 on: December 02, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
If someone has time, could you match some screenshots of the pitstops legs from leg 8 on to be sure their clothes don't match? Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #806 on: December 02, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »
If someone has time, could you match some screenshots of the pitstops legs from leg 8 on to be sure their clothes don't match? Thanks!
The confessional has to occur after Ep 10 because Nat is discussing the Hong Kong food roadblock. About 15:11 in ep 10.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #807 on: December 02, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »
The confessional has to occur after Ep 10 because Nat is discussing the Hong Kong food roadblock. About 15:11 in ep 10.

Which explains her facial expressions!
Great work pneumonia!
It was most likely not recorded at the soccer field PS in leg 11, right?

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
« Reply #808 on: December 02, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »

Which explains her facial expressions!
Great work pneumonia!
It was most likely not recorded at the soccer field PS in leg 11, right?

Yep, you're right. Here's the cap from episode 10:

same outfit, same background  :lol:

and i don't think it was taken in South Korea. because they're wearing different outfit (unless they changed it :lol: ) :

also the weather in South Korea is not as sunny as in the background :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:38:57 PM by pramararama »
Prama's Member Game Profile
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #809 on: December 02, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »

Yep, you're right. Here's the cap from episode 10:

same outfit, same background  :lol:

and i don't think it was taken in South Korea. because they're wearing different outfit (unless they changed it :lol: ) :

also the weather in South Korea is not as sunny as in the background :)

Something else that may or may not be significant:
If you look at Nat's right wrist in the confessional she is wearing a purple bracelet. In ep 10 she is wearing it on her left wrist and in the preview for ep.11 you can see she is still wearing it on her left wrist.
At some point she changes it to her right wrist. After ep. 11?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
According to an ex-girlfriend of a friend of a friend's cousin, they ended in Santa Barbara, California.

I copied this over from the TAR 17 speculation thread though I'm not sure it qualifies as a real live sighting. Peach, move it if you think it needs to be elsewhere.

I found this intriguing little message on Suite101.com from last July at http://www.suite101.com/content/amazing-race-17-gets-started-in-gloucester-boston-massachusetts-a241709.

does any one know if TAR 18 is filming?
I saw some people running in Santa Barbara Califonia and clearly saw one gilr holding the TAR clue.
then I follow them to a alice keck park in Santa Barbara and there was huge bolling pins and so I'm just wondering

Unfortunately, the person is listed as "guest" so we won't be able to follow up on it. Steven Fife at the Suite101.com web site politely said it was probably a local race. He is quite possibly right since July is not when TAR 17 (or 18) was run, however if the guest was mentioning something that was seen a month earlier in June, then this report gets much more interesting. Given that 5 of the last 6 participants are "gilrs" that is in the report's favor. 

Here are a couple of links to Alice Keck park:
http://www.santabarbara.com/activities/parks/alicekeck/
http://www.rth.org/sb/

It does look like a place that could be used for a detour/roadblock. Lots of trees and trails for a small city block sized park that might briefly make it hard to find the detour/roadblock. Huge bowling pins might be unlikely for a local TAR knock off race. You can reserve the park of events/weddings at http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/eRecreation/Facilities/FacilitiesDetail.asp?FacilityId=16. It has a calendar but doesn't allow you to go back into the past.

I'd rate this as a low probability of being the real TAR, but thus far, it's the only possible indication of the finish line location I've seen.

Plaidmoon

If the teams flew into LAX and were then flown somewhere by helicopter, I suppose that production could easily have imposed a 24 hour rest stop that will never get mentioned. The final 3 would all be bunched together (I think they were without looking through all the sightings), so production could start the last leg any time they want to. I'm not sure why they would delay it like that, but they could do it.

That's good work digging up the schedule! I have to think that TAR would reserve the park for more than 4 hours. Probably they would want it all day. That would allow plenty of time to set up whatever they were doing there and also for any delayed team to show up a few hours behind. Perhaps if it was just used for a route info box that wouldn't need much set up time, but otherwise I think it would take a few hours for set up. So I think the 4 hour reservation block weighs somewhat against it being TAR 17.

I'm still having some issues believing that they could have run a final leg in Santa Barbara without someone seeing it and mentioning it somewhere that we could find it. I did try for an hour or so to look at a few mansions and landmarks in the Santa Barbara area in Google Earth to see if I could find the trees/stone walk combination that are around Nat and Kat, but I couldn't find it.  :duno:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
Santa Barbara has some corporate Amazing Race companies, I think we have to be sure that was not one of those first. I am doubtful of this, but have no evidence.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #812 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »
Something else that may or may not be significant:
If you look at Nat's right wrist in the confessional she is wearing a purple bracelet. In ep 10 she is wearing it on her left wrist and in the preview for ep.11 you can see she is still wearing it on her left wrist.
At some point she changes it to her right wrist. After ep. 11?

At some point, Kat unbraids her hair. Perhaps at the end?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #813 on: December 03, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Santa Barbara has some corporate Amazing Race companies, I think we have to be sure that was not one of those first. I am doubtful of this, but have no evidence.

Based on the date difference and the amount of time reserved, I think this park is only a rabbit trail.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #814 on: December 05, 2010, 03:11:26 AM »
Speculation: Did anyone notice this?

It has been showed twice (episode 8 and 10) and only Nat-Kat showed being interview with that 'background'. This interview could be happened in the final pitstop....
Can anyone recognize the place?  :lol:

Again, it was just my spec :)

Interesting observation! I think you may be onto something. If they used it after episode 10 then it had to be taken at either Hong Kong, South Korea or after the race. My initial reaction is that the stone walk and tall thin trees aren't in keeping with Hong Kong or South Korea, so it may have been taken at the end of the race. After brightening the picture, the background on the left appears to be more of the tall thin trees seen in the background on the right. There's no buildings in the image as far as I can tell.

The trees, stone walk and low stone wall in the background look like they could be somewhere in Southern California (or even Santa Barbara which I found an extremely weak indication of as the final destination and posted to the Tar 17 Tweets thread lately). It's probably not in the mountains or desert of Southern California. It could also be about 10,000 other places, so who knows?

This cap is from the ep 11 PROMO...

Clothes match?

Even though this is from the ep 11 PROMO...the clothes in this cap do NOT match the clothes we see the racers wearing during the Seoul leg...not for ANY of the racers.

So where is this shot of Nat and Kat and when is it taken? Could this be the start of the finale leg? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #815 on: December 05, 2010, 05:28:19 AM »
Speculation: Did anyone notice this?

It has been showed twice (episode 8 and 10) and only Nat-Kat showed being interview with that 'background'. This interview could be happened in the final pitstop....
Can anyone recognize the place?  :lol:

Again, it was just my spec :)

Interesting observation! I think you may be onto something. If they used it after episode 10 then it had to be taken at either Hong Kong, South Korea or after the race. My initial reaction is that the stone walk and tall thin trees aren't in keeping with Hong Kong or South Korea, so it may have been taken at the end of the race. After brightening the picture, the background on the left appears to be more of the tall thin trees seen in the background on the right. There's no buildings in the image as far as I can tell.

The trees, stone walk and low stone wall in the background look like they could be somewhere in Southern California (or even Santa Barbara which I found an extremely weak indication of as the final destination and posted to the Tar 17 Tweets thread lately). It's probably not in the mountains or desert of Southern California. It could also be about 10,000 other places, so who knows?

This cap is from the ep 11 PROMO...

Clothes match?

Even though this is from the ep 11 PROMO...the clothes in this cap do NOT match the clothes we see the racers wearing during the Seoul leg...not for ANY of the racers.

So where is this shot of Nat and Kat and when is it taken? Could this be the start of the finale leg? ???

The triangular hand holds from the Jill and Thomas shot match this image (below) that I found from the Seoul subway system. If the clothes they are wearing don't match the clothes seen in the Seoul Leg, maybe they could have been on the way to the Seoul airport during the final leg.  :duno

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:31:23 AM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #816 on: December 05, 2010, 05:47:23 AM »
No.... caps seem do  to match their clothes for ep 10.... take a look at the ep 10 caps?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Puppet

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Arcanine <3
« Reply #817 on: December 05, 2010, 06:07:07 AM »
Nat and Kat looks like they are boarding the ferry in Hong Kong. :duno: Nah I could be wrong...
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person and she looks perfect
I don't deserve this, you look perfect tonight

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2010, 06:11:13 AM »
Nat and Kat looks like they are boarding the ferry in Hong Kong. :duno: Nah I could be wrong...

I could see some Chinese signs out there, I guess
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #819 on: December 05, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
The shot of Nat & Kat is from Ep10 when they are getting on the ferry to Cheung Chau island.

What they are wearing is a perfect match* to the Cyprus confessional (Cyprus is the type of tree in the shot) when they talked about the restaurant fake food. 

*almost:  the exception is that Kat no longer has the blue sleeveless under her black shirt.

You can see the top right strap of the blue sleeveless in the ferry shot.  It's under the backpack strap.  But things change!  After they get on the ferry, and for the rest of the leg, the Kat is without the black shirt.  Even the confessionals shot in the hotel room show this clothing configuration.

Since the Cyprus confessional is in good daylight we can conclude that it was shot on any date after the Hong Kong leg: 

June 13th in Hong Kong possible (long pit stop since they aren't spotted in Seoul until the 14th)
June 14th in Korea (not likely due to type of tree)
June 15th in LA area possible
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
Great work Chateau! A good thing to think about is that there isn’t much open area in Hong Kong so they probably would have done those confessionals in a park or something there…

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
Nice work Chateau!! That makes a lot of sense. It's also good to have a good idea of when the final occurred.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #822 on: December 05, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »
Helicopters to Long Beach port
Matthew 7:15

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #823 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
Haha.. I feel vindicated, I said I thought they used helicopters and we should look along the beach. Maybe there is hope for me yet!  :spy:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #824 on: December 07, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »
Would I quit my job and move to LA if I won $1 million - this guy thinks Brooke did.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/telebuddy/archives/2010/12/knoxvilles-amaz.shtml