Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 12: "Huger than Huge" FINALE!! (summary in posts 1thru 3)  (Read 149341 times)

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
Re: TAR16 - EP 12: "Huger than Huge" FINALE!! (summary in posts 1thru 3)
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
oh! so that photo of the brothers is taken at Coit Tower?

confirmation of that being a roadblock would explain how brent and caite would have fallen behind.  since we have eye witness reports that BOTH brent and caite were seen doing this RB, let me guess that B/C DIDN'T keep count of how many RBs each of them has done so far, and Brent gets volunteered to do the climb up (him being tall and lanky would have some advantage in doing it quickly).  HOWEVER, since he has already completed 6 RBs, they are not allowed to open/retrieve the clue after his climb up and Caite has to do the RB instead.....  :lol3:

though I thought that if this were to happen, aren't they supposed to be issued at penalty at the pitstop?

anybody else have any thoughts on this?
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2010, 12:31:49 AM »

confirmation of that being a roadblock would explain how brent and caite would have fallen behind.  since we have eye witness reports that BOTH brent and caite were seen doing this RB, let me guess that B/C DIDN'T keep count of how many RBs each of them has done so far, and Brent gets volunteered to do the climb up (him being tall and lanky would have some advantage in doing it quickly).  HOWEVER, since he has already completed 6 RBs, they are not allowed to open/retrieve the clue after his climb up and Caite has to do the RB instead.....  :lol3:

though I thought that if this were to happen, aren't they supposed to be issued at penalty at the pitstop?

could be, we've had a lot of race's "firsts", so why not add, "oops, we accidentally went over the RB limit"?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »
Yes to Memory Task! :yess: :jam:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline tobinator

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »
Not sure if these particular photos have been shared.....

CBS posted them on TwitPic

First post here so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.  I found this forum around episode 9 and its made the show more interesting.  Figured I should give back...

If the first picture is from here, then it is around 10:50ish

The other times I figured based on the shadows....

Brent on tower is ~11:10
Dan and Jordan carrying trunk ~11:33
Brent and Caite carrying trunk ~12:08

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2010, 02:32:48 AM »
Not sure if these particular photos have been shared.....

CBS posted them on TwitPic

First post here so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.  I found this forum around episode 9 and its made the show more interesting.  Figured I should give back...

If the first picture is from here, then it is around 10:50ish

The other times I figured based on the shadows....

Brent on tower is ~11:10
Dan and Jordan carrying trunk ~11:33
Brent and Caite carrying trunk ~12:08

:welcome2: to RFF!

We love your input!

Please do help us analyze the finale!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2010, 05:17:28 AM »
:ty3:  Tobinator and :bigwelcome to RFF!

:waves:

We do have that tweet that saw both Brent and Caite climbing Coit Tower so I think a redo RB is very possible!!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2010, 06:44:57 AM »
Now that would really suck to climb that tower then be told it didnt count.
Matthew 7:15

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »

But it's also very much in line with the all those blunders that Brent & Caite kept making during the first half of the season  :lol3:
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2010, 08:42:28 AM »
I could be way off, but this could possibly explain why Brent is doing the Road Block:

In Shanghai, when we had two Road Blocks, maybe they didn't count the second one int o the overall tally, because the person was forced to do it.

Is that possible, or do we know that the two Shanghai Leg #1 Road Blocks both count. :duno:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline tobinator

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2010, 09:04:27 AM »

confirmation of that being a roadblock would explain how brent and caite would have fallen behind.  since we have eye witness reports that BOTH brent and caite were seen doing this RB, let me guess that B/C DIDN'T keep count of how many RBs each of them has done so far, and Brent gets volunteered to do the climb up (him being tall and lanky would have some advantage in doing it quickly).  HOWEVER, since he has already completed 6 RBs, they are not allowed to open/retrieve the clue after his climb up and Caite has to do the RB instead.....  :lol3:

This looks like Brent to me.

Note the shadow of the spotter is close to parallel with the side of Coit.  Perfectly parrallel would be 14 degrees off north, this looks to be 15 to 17 degrees.  From http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php for San Francisco on 12/20/09, those angles would be between 11:00 and 11:10.

First column is time
Third is azimuth (E of N) ie 180 is due south which would be 12:08 in SF.
11:00       26.8       162.6
11:05       27.1       163.9
11:10       27.4       165.1

So if the tweets have them finishing shorthly after this time, I doubt Caite climbs it after Brent.  I'm starting to think they both have to climb it and this is what costs them the 45 minutes by the time we see them on the street with the trunk.    

or is there a route info we are missing?  The map they are looking at looks like it is of the Presido grounds.  Brent is pointing in an area near the bridge toll rather at the Letterman Digital Arts Center.  Maybe they are lost getting to LDAC or maybe there is a route info up there that sends them to Coit Tower.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:44:31 PM by tobinator »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
Keoghan, who was at the finish line when the show was filmed late last year, would not reveal the winner, of course, but he does believe that the show’s fans are rooting for the beloved professional bull riders to win and that the ending isn’t necessarily happy for everyone. Keoghan foreshadowed that Upton and Horne are confronted by another team at the mat.

“This season,” he teased, “we have a very tense finish.”

Boy what a misleading quote by the writer. I finally figured out that the "not happy for everyone" reference isn't about the Cowboys, but the confrontation Brent-Caite have with both Joe-Heidi and Carol-Brandy; and the possibility that Brent might have violated the six roadblock rule. The fact that Caite is presumably obligated to do the roadblock has been a factor in my mind that they wouldn't win the final leg.

There's always been a question about how Phil would handle a penalty on the final leg, and the way this season has gone, that possibility playing out would fit right in.
-- theschnauzers

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
I could be way off, but this could possibly explain why Brent is doing the Road Block:

In Shanghai, when we had two Road Blocks, maybe they didn't count the second one int o the overall tally, because the person was forced to do it.

Is that possible, or do we know that the two Shanghai Leg #1 Road Blocks both count. :duno:

Both count, since they're both RBs anyway  :lol:
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »

2. It was also the site of the 10/17/1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake at 504pm PDT  interrupting pre-game ceremonies and postponing the start of the third game1989 Bay Area World Series between the Giants and the Oakland Athletics for 10 days.

This is an untrue statement. The epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake is at ......Loma Prieta Peak, California, about 70 miles south as the crow flies from Candlestick Park. Candlestick Park is famous that day because Al Michaels was on an open mike talking about the upcoming World Series game when the earthquake occured.

I kept looking at Candlestick to try to figure out how those guys, Bonds, etc are able to hit the baseball into the ocean. Then it dawned on me that ATT Park was built.........lol.......oh well, senility is fun.

Dr. Rox, it is OK for you to take potshots at me as long as you can take them in return. Where did I say that the epicenter of the Loma Prieta Earthquake was at Candlestick Park? I did not.  It should be clear that I said "site of the 10/17/1989 Loma Eathquake at 504pm PDR interrupting pre-game ceremonies."  You cannot argue with that, as it is unquestionably true. Where the epicenter was was of no interest to me (although I would expect from the name attached to the event after-the-fact that it was in Loma Prieta).

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »
CBS posted a twitvid of TAR. Don't know if anything new is shown as I can't play vids on my stupid computer.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »

Do we actually have a quote from the rules that state each member of a team must do an equal number of roadblock tasks?

And if Caite has to do the climb after Brent comes down who tells him it does not count and that Caite must also do it to count?  From a picture in the Washington Post today it shows Dan grabbing the clue envelope which is hanging on a wire at the top of the climb.  And would this be considered a penalty (as asked in mswood's ep 12 quiz)?

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »
Keoghan, who was at the finish line when the show was filmed late last year, would not reveal the winner, of course, but he does believe that the show’s fans are rooting for the beloved professional bull riders to win and that the ending isn’t necessarily happy for everyone. Keoghan foreshadowed that Upton and Horne are confronted by another team at the mat.

“This season,” he teased, “we have a very tense finish.”

Boy what a misleading quote by the writer. I finally figured out that the "not happy for everyone" reference isn't about the Cowboys, but the confrontation Brent-Caite have with both Joe-Heidi and Carol-Brandy; and the possibility that Brent might have violated the six roadblock rule. The fact that Caite is presumably obligated to do the roadblock has been a factor in my mind that they wouldn't win the final leg.

There's always been a question about how Phil would handle a penalty on the final leg, and the way this season has gone, that possibility playing out would fit right in.

I like this season because it has been much less predictable. More obscure clues, the return of the intersection and the introduction of two roadblocks for starters.

Offline zythr

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
Hi. Who is the real winner of this race. Please e-mail me, if the answer can't be posted here. Thanks

Offline demerald

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
im probably wrong on this, but these are the best guesses i have as to what the tasks are:
Letterman Digital Arts Center: Detour- both Dan and Jordan and Jet and Cord are seen doing it. We know it can't be a roadblock because Jet(walker) and Brent(commander) both already have done six roadblocks so if only one position counted as a roadblock at least one team would be over the limit.
Coit Tower: Route Info- brent is doing this and he already did 6 roadblocks. if this is a roadblock then catie definitely failed in her mission. :lol:
Tonga Room: Roadblock- it's the task we know least about and pretty much the only one that fits.

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
im probably wrong on this, but these are the best guesses i have as to what the tasks are:
Letterman Digital Arts Center: Detour- both Dan and Jordan and Jet and Cord are seen doing it. We know it can't be a roadblock because Jet(walker) and Brent(commander) both already have done six roadblocks so if only one position counted as a roadblock at least one team would be over the limit.
Coit Tower: Route Info- brent is doing this and he already did 6 roadblocks. if this is a roadblock then catie definitely failed in her mission. :lol:
Tonga Room: Roadblock- it's the task we know least about and pretty much the only one that fits.

The pictures released show the cowboys holding a blue paper (Route Info) while walking towards the Letterman Digital Arts Center. We can also see Dan opening a red clue (Roadblock) at the Coit tower.

I also think that Caite had to do it because of the Roadblock limit. Perhaps this is the reason why Brent was so mad at the cab ride in the preview...and for a team trying so much to prove intelligence that's not a very bright move...

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
Hi. Who is the real winner of this race. Please e-mail me, if the answer can't be posted here. Thanks

I am the real winner! :lol:

Back on topic now...

Is the Star Wars task the first task? That way, we know it's a route info, because the teams are holding a clue that is blue (route info).

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
I've just watched Phil on Bonnie Hunt show and the clip confirms Coit Tower as Roadblock and Cowboys behind Brothers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhBPi4ii4o

I still think Coit Tower is the first task, not the last, unless all the other tasks took less than 2 hours to complete (memory task included)

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »
CBS posted a twitvid of TAR. Don't know if anything new is shown as I can't play vids on my stupid computer.

After seeing this, the highlight of Brent/Caite keep making mistakes may suggest that they will make mistakes again in the final leg.

But if the hit the 6-roadblock rule is broken, I guess there should be some sort of penalty instead of just let another teammate to finish it? Anyway, they may let them continue the race first and give the penalty in the end.

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
After seeing this, the highlight of Brent/Caite keep making mistakes may suggest that they will make mistakes again in the final leg.

But if the hit the 6-roadblock rule is broken, I guess there should be some sort of penalty instead of just let another teammate to finish it? Anyway, they may let them continue the race first and give the penalty in the end.

I guess in this case forcing Caite to do the roadblock would be a more severe penalty than a standard time-based one. I'm sure it would take her more than 30 mins to do it. And a huge time penalty would just spoil all their presence in the finale...

One thing I'm wondering is: Do we know (or is it possible to know) the time when the cowboys were seen near GAMH?

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »

I guess in this case forcing Caite to do the roadblock would be a more severe penalty than a standard time-based one. I'm sure it would take her more than 30 mins to do it. And a huge time penalty would just spoil all their presence in the finale...

One thing I'm wondering is: Do we know (or is it possible to know) the time when the cowboys were seen near GAMH?

Really? I thought it would be a 4-hour penalty.

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »
I never seen such thing before nor read it anywhere, so I don't know what is the exact penalty. But 30mins would be a 'help' for B/C, and 4 hours would be too much and it would surely ruin the finale for B/C. Forcing Caite to do it just seem to be the best option here. To be sure: Isn't the 4 hours penalty for skipped/forfeited tasks?

The crew could have changed the clue envelope after finding out that Brent was doing it....they should be prepared to everything, specially in the last leg :P