Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 12: "Huger than Huge" FINALE!! (summary in posts 1thru 3)  (Read 149333 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR16 - EP 12: "Huger than Huge" FINALE!! (summary in posts 1thru 3)
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2010, 03:13:35 PM »
:bigwelcome: hallai!

We're hoping CBS puts out the video on YouTube soon!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »
Oi hallai

:welcome: :bigwelcome :welcome2: :party:
Matthew 7:15

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »
welcome, hallai!

Interesting speculation on a music task after e trunks. If e speculations r right n e cowbros r leading,a ''fine arts'' task may allow e other teams to catch up
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
I can't believe that a team that passes the U-Turn mark and opted not the anyone can still be U-turned how could that be?

NoluckBoston

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »
I can't believe that a team that passes the U-Turn mark and opted not the anyone can still be U-turned how could that be?

huh?  :duno:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »
Darn...WHere are they going then?? ???

I loved the idea they were full of stuff for a memory challenge, and The Tonga room seems like a nice private place for that. Darn....

So...we think they GET them at the Tonga Room...so we need to know where they are going with them....Where is the Great American Music Hall in relationship to all this??  They were seen near there...

Thanks slowhatch! :jumpy:

A hair over a mile away, Peach. It's possible they hoofed the trunks from Tonga to there.

ETA: And the teams we see (D/J, B/C) are taking different routes, but both are headed in the direction of the GAMH.

This had me confused at first until I looked at a map. You're right, Dan/Jordan and Brent/Caite are both taking possible routes to the Great American Music Hall. Since it's southwest of the Tonga Room, you can either head south then west or head west and then south.

Dan and Jordan (west then south) are taking a much better route though. It's pretty much downhill the whole way and it's not particularly busy. Easy walking. Brent and Caite are headed south into the Union Square area. It's much busier with many pedestrians going to stores and shops and tall office buildings. I worked in that area for a year and the sidewalks are always full of people (though the fact that it was a weekend (Sunday?) should lessen the difficulties. Then, once Brent and Caite turn and head west, the neighborhood gets a bit seedy before too many blocks. It's not particularly dangerous, but it could be a bit unnerving at times. There is drug trafficking and prostitution in that general area - more to the south of there though. During the middle of the day I wouldn't expect any problem though. Also the route west along O'Farrell street is uphill all the way. It's not particularly steep, but it is uphill. I'd expect Dan/Jordan's route to be a few minutes faster.

Plaidmoon

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »

Take it to a more relevant thread, please. :tup:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
t is possible for a team to U-Turn a team that has already passed (or skipped by means of a Fast Forward) the U-Turn, nullifying its effects

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
Nope. You can't do that. If you do, it fails.

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcome messages :)

I revised my post and I must say I got things wrong. According to everything said in the topic so far, the order is:

SFO -> Coit Tower -> Letterman Digital Arts Center -> Tonga Room -> Great American Music Hall -> Candlestick Park.

It seems the last task will be held in the GAMH (or in the next route marker). It would be nice to have music involved :D

The only place I see that could have hosted the "line cutting" issue is the Coit Tower. I doubt something like this would happen in the airport, specially because they don't shoot anything in customs/private areas. Why would they mention on a promo and not be able to air it?...maybe I got it wrong, again...  :P

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »
We do have a spoiler about Dan and Jordan being moved to business class just before deplaning which enabled them to exit the plane first (which I think shows excellent strategy and someone did some charming of a flight attendent! ). Now...would that be considered cutting in line?? Might more likely be something at Coit Tower.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2010, 10:12:04 PM »
We do have a spoiler about Dan and Jordan being moved to business class just before deplaning which enabled them to exit the plane first (which I think shows excellent strategy and someone did some charming of a flight attendent! ). Now...would that be considered cutting in line?? Might more likely be something at Coit Tower.

Humm. Didn't know that. That could be it ... or it could have happened in the line to buy tickets in China, resulting in better seats...

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »
No, that couldn't happen. Buying Business class tickets gives you a 24 hour penalty. You wouldn't do that in the final leg.

Offline hallai

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:16 PM »
No, that couldn't happen. Buying Business class tickets gives you a 24 hour penalty. You wouldn't do that in the final leg.

Yeah, I know that. I meant better seats in coach...

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »

Once you buy the tickets, though, the airline can move you to any seat, even first class, and you're O.K., no penalty.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »

They did not buy nor fly Business Class. You can go back and read the spoiler. Apparently, Dan/Jordan sweet talked a flight attendent and just befoe landing, they were moved from coach class up to business class. It seems that they were probably the first people off the plane and through Immigration/Customs to the point of a 30 minute head start to go to Letterman.

Offline HIIPERS GIRL

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »
So Dan and Jordan is in the lead?

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »
At least they were after e flight to san fran. But e cowbros caught up at e star wars vr task. (Cord pops his head over to dan's controller booth)
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP 12: "Huger than Huge" FINALE!!
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2010, 07:16:20 AM »

Not sure if we have this ... from ET

"...A lot can happen when you're crossing 6 continents.  Let's just hope the finale doesn't send Caite to "the Iraq."

As a geographer, I want to express my protest to ET or whoever originally wrote this in the strongest possible terms:
And a lot more can happen if you are only crossing North America (by plane going south only), South America, Europe, and Asia, which is 4 continents by my count. The air route to Paris or Frankfurt could involve a very minor crossing of the northwest corner of Africa by plane, but that should not count in my estimation. Also, there is clearly no Australia and no Antarctica so 6 continents is impossible.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:57:01 AM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
Well, you left out the Seyschelles...part of Africa........but still doesn't come up to 6 to me. Unless they are counting NA twice.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2010, 08:42:28 AM »
I just have a feeling that the final tasks are going to end up favoring Jet-Cord for the win.  The more information that comes out from the promos and tweets, and the excellent analysis work by the TAR Detectives Team reinforces in my mind that even if they're the last out of the airport, they still will pull out a win in the final leg. And I doubt they'll have any trouble with cabdrivers getting to Candlestick Park, one of the iconic locations in American sports history. (And if there is a memory task of some sort at the finish, I think that will favor Jet-Cord as well.

(For the record my guts says Jordan and Dan for second, Brent and Caite for third.)

Yes indeed, Candlestick Park is an iconic sports location:
1. home of my favorite baseball team the San Francisco Giants for 40 years from 1960 until moving to PacBell Park (later rechristened AT&T Park and now SBC Park) in 2000. In 1960, the Giants moved to Candlestick Park  built on a point in San Francisco's southeast corner overlooking San Francisco Bay. The new stadium quickly became known for its strong, swirling winds, cold temperatures, and thick evening fog that made for a formidable experience for brave fans and players. The park had a built-in radiant heating system, but it never worked. In the ninth inning of the 1961 All-Star Game at Candlestick a strong gust of wind appeared to cause Giants relief pitcher Stu Miller to slip off the pitching rubber during his delivery, resulting in a balk  (and a baseball legend that Miller was "blown off the mound"). Candlestick Park was infamous as a place to play, earning without doubt its reputation of being cold, windy, and foggy. In 1963, wind picked up the entire batting cage and dropped it 60 feet (18 m) away on the pitcher’s mound while the New York Mets were taking batting practice. The Giants would award the Croix de Candlestick pin to fans who stayed for the duration of extra-inning night games. All of this gave the Giants a slight pitching edge and fielding edge because they were more used to its foibles than visiting teams.

2. It was also the site of the 10/17/1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake at 504pm PDT  interrupting pre-game ceremonies and postponing the start of the third game1989 Bay Area World Series between the Giants and the Oakland Athletics for 10 days.

3. Candlestick Park  hosted two MLB All-Star Games (1961 and 1984), one National League Division Series  (1997), three National League Championship Series (1971, 1987 and 1989), two World Series (1962 and 1989).

4. Candlestick Park also continues to be the home of the San Francisco 49ers football team since 1971. It has been the site of 6 championship football games, with 4 of them 49ers victories. The most memorable (except to 49er fans) of the 6 was the New York Giants 15-13 victory over the 49ers 1/20/91.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
Just a small sidebar to help you young ones with ancient history.  Looking closely again at the picture published earlier in this thread and some of the buildings now making up the Star Wars complex look like the old barracks I lived in while I was stationed at the Persidio in 1946. I was a cinematographer assigned to the Sixth Army headquarters and waiting orders to embark with Admiral Byrd to film his trip to Antarctica and the South Pole.  Some of the film I shot on Operation Highjump was used by MGM in their Academy-award winning documentary "The Secret Land."

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Just a small sidebar to help you young ones with ancient history.  Looking closely again at the picture published earlier in this thread and some of the buildings now making up the Star Wars complex look like the old barracks I lived in while I was stationed at the Persidio in 1946. I was a cinematographer assigned to the Sixth Army headquarters and waiting orders to embark with Admiral Byrd to film his trip to Antarctica and the South Pole.  Some of the film I shot on Operation Highjump was used by MGM in their Academy-award winning documentary "The Secret Land."

I believe you are correct. When the Army shut down the Presidio in the 1990s, much of it became part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Other parts were used other purposes including The Lucas Films Letterman Digital Arts Center. The San Francisco area has become a center for movie industry special effects so using the existing buildings for that purpose was a natural fit. I believe that the Letterman Digital Arts Center name comes from the former Letterman Army Hospital which was at the Presidio.

Plaidmoon

Offline Solarius

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »
At least they were after e flight to san fran. But e cowbros caught up at e star wars vr task. (Cord pops his head over to dan's controller booth)

I think its possible that the cowboys were with Dan and Jordan as they were ending.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »

2. It was also the site of the 10/17/1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake at 504pm PDT  interrupting pre-game ceremonies and postponing the start of the third game1989 Bay Area World Series between the Giants and the Oakland Athletics for 10 days.

This is an untrue statement. The epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake is at ......Loma Prieta Peak, California, about 70 miles south as the crow flies from Candlestick Park. Candlestick Park is famous that day because Al Michaels was on an open mike talking about the upcoming World Series game when the earthquake occured.

I kept looking at Candlestick to try to figure out how those guys, Bonds, etc are able to hit the baseball into the ocean. Then it dawned on me that ATT Park was built.........lol.......oh well, senility is fun.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:35:20 PM by DrRox »