Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 11 "They Don’t Even Understand Their Own Language" (Shanghai 2)  (Read 65088 times)

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
Luke, I always compare situations like Dan & Jordan's to Kevin & Drew racing Joe & Bill for the last final-3 spot in Beijing.

As guests in China, even under such extreme stress, Joe & Bill made the effort to make sure that their taxi driver understood where they wanted to go, by having guidebooks and a Chinese-English dictionary, and telling him that they wanted to go to the "South Gate" in Mandarin.

Kevin & Drew weren't happy that their taxi driver let Joe & Bill get ahead of them in the race to the Pit-stop, but they never showed them berating him.

In the clip, Dan & Jordan criticized their taxi driver for not understanding "follow" and they yelled at him for not running a red light.

Expecting someone in another country to understand English, and to break the law for you, is the epitome of Ugly Americanism.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:04:45 PM by slayton »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Slayton

I can't speak for luke,but I don't think anyone is going to argue that it is ugly behavior.  My point is that, one instance doesn't reflect how a person normally behaves.  We have had racers who yell at locals (or demean them all the time.  That personally bothers me a lot more, then what so far as been a single instance.

After going through every season with a fine tooth comb, I don't think there has been a racer (to make it near the end) who hasn't at one point of another lost their temper.  Be it with a local, a service personell, with fellow racers, or with their team mate.

I mean look at Danny & Oswald two racers who are considered extremely friendly to locals, they have insulted cab drivers, told them they can't speak their own language and threatened to kill one.  All in one leg.  Was it ****ty behavior, of course it was.  But was that instance something that really reflected how they normally treat others?

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
are they on there way to the pitstop????

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
sorry, emergency at work, just got home. Screencaps in a bit, maybe we can figure out where they are going??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
sorry, emergency at work, just got home. Screencaps in a bit, maybe we can figure out where they are going??

please georgiapeach  ......

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
sorry! Big file...can someone figure out the route? I tried to grab some of the buildings along the way...

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
Is it certain that the detectives will get eliminated?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Yes.  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie

sad .. i like it when phil says "louie dont make me eliminate you" ..

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
i don't want the cowboys to win. i like them but i dont want them to win. i don't wanna see another meagan and cheyne..

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
how many are jet's children ?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I'm certain the first Louie/Michael cap is outside the entrance to the Science & Technology Museum. Either Dan/Jordan weren't very far ahead (ie they checked in right before sunset), or there's an initial task/taxi drama that slows Dan/Jordan down.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
Slayton

I can't speak for luke,but I don't think anyone is going to argue that it is ugly behavior.  My point is that, one instance doesn't reflect how a person normally behaves.  We have had racers who yell at locals (or demean them all the time.  That personally bothers me a lot more, then what so far as been a single instance.

After going through every season with a fine tooth comb, I don't think there has been a racer (to make it near the end) who hasn't at one point of another lost their temper.  Be it with a local, a service personell, with fellow racers, or with their team mate.

I mean look at Danny & Oswald two racers who are considered extremely friendly to locals, they have insulted cab drivers, told them they can't speak their own language and threatened to kill one.  All in one leg.  Was it ****ty behavior, of course it was.  But was that instance something that really reflected how they normally treat others?

I'm not going to say that Dan & Jordan are part of the pantheon of "Ugly American" racers until I see the whole episode, but Dan, in episode 6 in France, was also the one who said, "People really do not speak good English here."

I will re-watch that Macau episode from TAR11 and pay close attention to Oswald & Danny.  I don't remember them being that bad in that episode, but they'll definitely take a tumble as my all-time favorite team if it's as bad as you say it is.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I don't think any of us who haven't run the race have ANY idea how tough it really is. While I would hope I would be upbeat and appreciative, I know that I would be sure to have my moments of frustration and impatience..

I certainly am not going to disparage a racer who has been repeatedly supportive of his partner, and positive in his outlook, for one brief moment in the whole race. Especially when that racer has made no bones about the fact that he doesn't travel well. I give him great credit for all the good moments instead!

I think the editors needed some drama this week...and one taxi meltdown is all they have. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member

You're sad?!  They've been douches all race long, and you're SAD they're leaving?!

Sheesh.  Am I EVER glad I don't hang around here regularly.

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
I don't think any of us who haven't run the race have ANY idea how tough it really is. While I would hope I would be upbeat and appreciative, I know that I would be sure to have my moments of frustration and impatience..

I certainly am not going to disparage a racer who has been repeatedly supportive of his partner, and positive in his outlook, for one brief moment in the whole race. Especially when that racer has made no bones about the fact that he doesn't travel well. I give him great credit for all the good moments instead!

I think the editors needed some drama this week...and one taxi meltdown is all they have. :lol:

I wonder if this is to make up for the lack of drama-rama in the previous Shanghai episode.... esp after that B/C vs B/C drama in Singapore (OMG! just realised that BOTH their teams have the same shortened acronym!  :ascared is that y Caite doesn't like the team? XD)
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie

sad .. i like it when Phil says "Louie dint make me eliminate you" ..
You're sad?!  They've been douches all race long, and you're SAD they're leaving?!

Shush.  Am I EVER glad I don't hang around here regularly.

I'm kinda sad because the amazing race is again boarding. i dint mind the detectives being eliminated I just sympathizing on georgiapeach  :Lol:  I like the lesbians more than them.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
CBS posted a new twitvid....Caite gets short with Brent

Perhaps Peach can screencap this.

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
Seems that this is a detour option... I mean, why else would they switch?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Yes, that appears to be the "Chops" side of the detour.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I am still at work and can't see the vid or screencap from here. Will love doing it IF I get home in time, which is NOT looking good.  :meow:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Yes, that appears to be the "Chops" side of the detour.

:lol: While Shanghai has lots of shopping venues, the stamps/chops most likely take place at the famous Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu) East location.   :snicker:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Slayton

I can't speak for luke,but I don't think anyone is going to argue that it is ugly behavior.  My point is that, one instance doesn't reflect how a person normally behaves.  We have had racers who yell at locals (or demean them all the time.  That personally bothers me a lot more, then what so far as been a single instance.

After going through every season with a fine tooth comb, I don't think there has been a racer (to make it near the end) who hasn't at one point of another lost their temper.  Be it with a local, a service personell, with fellow racers, or with their team mate.

I mean look at Danny & Oswald two racers who are considered extremely friendly to locals, they have insulted cab drivers, told them they can't speak their own language and threatened to kill one.  All in one leg.  Was it ****ty behavior, of course it was.  But was that instance something that really reflected how they normally treat others?

I'm not going to say that Dan & Jordan are part of the pantheon of "Ugly American" racers until I see the whole episode, but Dan, in episode 6 in France, was also the one who said, "People really do not speak good English here."

I will re-watch that Macau episode from TAR11 and pay close attention to Oswald & Danny.  I don't remember them being that bad in that episode, but they'll definitely take a tumble as my all-time favorite team if it's as bad as you say it is.
Making a statement that people (the ones they have encountered) don't speak good english here isn't offense, or ugly behavior.  Its just a statement.  Making a statement expecting people to speak your language is.  Or complaining about how people don't speak or understand your english is ugly.  But just pointing out that people's english isn't good, isn't.

I mean when I have had people from other countries with me in the US and they have stated that my command of their language isn't that great.  It's just a statement.  They didn't mean it as I should speak their language better.

And that is the heart of that type of issue.

If you think Dan and Jordan's intent in that scene was that people should speak better english then its ugly behavior (and we have had many, many racers over the years make comments about people needing to speak English).  But if its dan and Jordan just talking about someone's ability without them having the expectation of them speaking perfect english, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Sheesh.  Am I EVER glad I don't hang around here regularly.
Well it all depends people watch the show for many varied reasons.  And I am not a big fan of Louie & Mike.  But I do like that they work well together, that they so far have always treated each other with respect.  And while they have manipulated others, they are allowed.  We haven't seen them in general being rude to locals or service personnel.  Their worst behavior is being cocky in about 4 episodes, and using Brent & Caite and Carol & Brandy's feud to engineer their being seen as a target instead of themselves (which is actually fairly smart).  Besides that we haven't seen any other bad behavior in their day to day relations to other racers.  Even with Joe & Heidi they were civil.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
 :lol3:  you don't have to go all the way to Shanghai to get your seal/name chop....  :lol:  there's a shop in Shanghai with an eBay listing...   :colors    :neener:

Shanghai Ebay chops link