Author Topic: TAR 16 - EP 10 "I Feel Like I’m in, Like, Sicily" (Shanghai 1)  (Read 95495 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Re: TAR 16 - EP 10 "I Feel Like I’m in, Like, Sicily" (Shanghai 1)
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
Not to make anyone depressed, but...

World’s shortest man dies in Italy
March 13, 2010

By QMI Agency

He Pingping, the world's shortest walking man, died on the weekend at the age of 21.

Born in Huade County in Wulanchabu, China, with a form of primordial dwarfism, Pingping measured just two feet, five inches.

He was in Rome to appear on a local television show when he was taken to hospital with chest pains. He died a few days later on March 13, according to a Guinness World Records statement.

"I had the pleasure of meeting Pingping back in 2008 in Inner Mongolia," said Guinness World Records editor-in-chief Craig Glenday. Glenday was the first person to confirm Pingping's status as the world's shortest man.

"From the moment I laid on eyes on him I knew he was someone special ‹ he had such a cheeky smile and mischievous personality, you couldn't help but be charmed by him. He brightened up the lives of everyone he met, and was an inspiration to anyone considered different or unusual.”

Pingping, who was reportedly smaller than his father's palm at birth, was a chain smoker since the age of seven, and considered a ladies' man, according to the Guardian newspaper.

He didn't shy away from fame, often appearing in the media and at Guinness launches around the world.

On his Facebook profile page he joked, "Please Invite Your Friends and share the love, there's plenty of me to go around."

“Pingping showed us that, despite the challenges we face, we can still make the most out of life, and for such a small man, he made a huge impact around the world,” Glenday said.

“Everyone at Guinness World Records is very saddened by the loss of such a wonderful, engaging, fascinating character – he will be greatly missed and we would like to offer our deepest condolences to his family and friends.”

At least he got to be on the race. :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:08:25 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Thanks Hooky, nice article.

WHat I find most interesting is that our "smallest" man and "tallest " man were from the same general area of Mongolia, and they actually met each other:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-468172/Worlds-apart-The-moment-tallest-man-met-shortest.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
We still have quite a few locations to identify more preciisely...

I have been trying to find the spot we see in these promo pictures (thumbnails>>click-click) of what I am presuming is the noodle making, in an outside patio near the water.

We know that the noodle making is supposed to take place in Zhu Jia Jiao, a canal town known as the Tiny "Venice of the East" and one of the four ancient towns technically in the Qingpu District of Shanghai, but really right outside (1 hour drive).

In Zhu Jia Jiao, there is a  a "bell tower" in the Yuanjin Buddhist Temple on No.187 of Chaohe Street, Zhujiajiao. It does appear to be near the water.

Do y'all think this looks like the tower seen in the background of the promo shot??

If so, using that address, can anyone figure out exactly where our noodles are being made?? :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2010, 10:33:18 PM »
The noodle restaurant looks nearby, if the promo is accurate. Here's a crude map of Zhujiajiao; once magnified, you can spot Yuanjin below the word River.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
Thanks Slowhatch!! :hugs:

Okay...I have updated the 2nd post in this thread with what we believe to be the actual order of events for Leg 1 Shanghai. Please look it over and let me know if you spot any errors or omissions??

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21834.msg517682.html#msg517682

The promos are a bit confusing, because they are mixing the tasks in both episodes, based on firm evidence of the order we believe things occur in.

So I am left with some location screen cap questions...can y'all help sort this all out please?

Is this the Science Museum? Can someone get a matching view?

Any ideas where this is? >> SINGAPORE per Neobie!! :ty3:

Where is this? Is the car incidental ...or significant?

Could this be in Lu Zia Zui Park? Can anyone find a similar image? >>PENANG per Neobie!! :ty3:

Where is this? At the Museum? What's with the license tag? ?? They are supposed to arrive by metro....

Is this the Bund area? In which case it is more Leg 2... or Pudong FROM the bund?? and therefore more leg 1. ???

This confessional seems to come after Leg 2, since it is after the Fashion task:

This one prob comes after this leg:

Teams (or crew?) may have stayed at the Shangri La Hotel...can we match this?

And is this overlooking the bund at Pitstop 2??  >>Leftover SINGAPORE per Neobie!! :ty3:

Thanks guys!! :jumpy:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:10:16 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »
Here's the main entrance to the science museum. I don't see it myself, but there could be other exits City8 doesn't cover.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
Here's the main entrance to the science museum. I don't see it myself, but there could be other exits City8 doesn't cover.

Could that view be where Brent is when he is looking up??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
I found this one...   :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »

Over-analyzing again, Peach? :lol: There's nothing wrong with the license plate. Looks like the airport to me, I've to go check.

You can take these out...

Penang

Singapore

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:22 PM »
Thanks Slowhatch!! :hugs:

Okay...I have updated the 2nd post in this thread with what we believe to be the actual order of events for Leg 1 Shanghai. Please look it over and let me know if you spot any errors or omissions??

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21834.msg517682.html#msg517682

The promos are a bit confusing, because they are mixing the tasks in both episodes, based on firm evidence of the order we believe things occur in.

So I am left with some location screen cap questions...can y'all help sort this all out please?
This location may include something to do with Cadillac Escalades?? cars?? product placement?? Not clear... possibly originally scheduled for Da Ning Park  instead.
I think we are looking for the Escalade Building - not building Cadillac Escalades.
But of course I can't find the Escalade Building near the park...
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »

Over-analyzing again, Peach? :lol: There's nothing wrong with the license plate. Looks like the airport to me, I've to go check.

You can take these out...

Penang

Singapore

ohhh thanks! I hate it when they do that!

Not over analyzing...having FUN!! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
I am wondering if they used escalade as in the French for climbing?
escalade - climbing
Dictionary: escalation, climbing, scaling, climb
More climbing or jumping off tall buildings is always fun to watch!

Did find this, but can't find a Pudong escalade building either.

ESCALADE Sports (SHANGHAI) Co., Ltd.
(Public Company; 501-1000 employees; Sporting Goods industry)

August 2007 — October 2008 (1 year 3 months)

In charge of set-up, team and business development. Successfully structured supply chain and M&A plan. ESCALADE Sports is a sporting Goods manufacturer with multiple brands in their portfolio. The China operations are responsible for managing 45+ m USD sourcing p.a., including product development, QC and alternative sourcing.

And the car Escalade does seem a bit out there, but :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
Hmmmm....could there be an Escalade Fashion of some sort?? Perhaps the route marker IS the Fashion task??

I :duno: but we DO see two racers with flour/dough on their hands....

Thumbnails>>click-click:

I had been thinking that since we had a "High Fashion" RB next time that all those scenes come be from Leg 2....but the Dumpling Detour apparently comes AFTER the High Fashion RB in Leg 2, So where would the flour come from? So now I am back to trying to make it all fit into this Leg. Which makes more sense from a preview point of view anyway...

Anybody want to see if all the racers clothes are the same throughout the day?? ???

And what's that lady doing behing Jordan? And is Jordan holding a belt or the amazing race pouch?? :lol:
Maybe they all have to get dressed in an outfit, and Louie is worried about his sense of style? :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »
I'm not 100% sure due to the lack of photos out there, but I believe High Fashion is located at Source. The photo in the link seems to match the clothes hanging on the racks behind Mike and Jordan.

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/listings/shopping/clothing-accessories/has/source/

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2010, 11:41:58 PM »
Hmmmm....could there be an Escalade Fashion of some sort?? Perhaps the route marker IS the Fashion task??

I :duno: but we DO see two racers with flour/dough on their hands....

Thumbnails>>click-click:

I had been thinking that since we had a "High Fashion" RB next time that all those scenes come be from Leg 2....but the Dumpling Detour apparently comes AFTER the High Fashion RB in Leg 2, So where would the flour come from? So now I am back to trying to make it all fit into this Leg. Which makes more sense from a preview point of view anyway...

Anybody want to see if all the racers clothes are the same throughout the day?? ???

And what's that lady doing behing Jordan? And is Jordan holding a belt or the amazing race pouch?? :lol:
Maybe they all have to get dressed in an outfit, and Louie is worried about his sense of style? :funny:

I think the flour comes from that noodles RB we saw during the original preview. This task was also seen in that preview so I doubt it's from Leg 2. Maybe that's the whole "trendy" thing from the promo.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
Yep...it IS this week...so where does it fit in??

Must be the Route Marker?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
What time does the wind blow?
By using my extensive knowledge of sun angels   :nuala: and extrapolating the hypotenuse of left handed quasars - I'd say its 12:55.

Weather Underground says there were wind gusts of 26 - 29 mph from around 12:00 to 14:00 on Dec 18th.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:55:05 PM by walkingpneumonia »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
That's from a NEW video!!  :wohoo:

Help find it on YouTube??

screencaps when we do! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
I'm not able to youTube from work, but here is another screen cap with the clock from the stadium. Looks like its just after Cord's tiles blow away.

13:34
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:19:37 PM by walkingpneumonia »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »
Promo 3: Thanks to chill for the link!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:59:26 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
I'm already loving this task!!

Well, I don't think the Fashion one can be a RB, btw... Both cops are there, I see, and it shouldn't be a RB. OMG. How many tasks are there this week??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »
So it is clear from the video that the Cowboys were in first, Brent/Caite behind, then Michael and Louie...no sign of Dan and Jordan.

Then the wind began....and this RB turned into the RB from hell!!

Loved Cord stripping down to put his hat.shirt, and more :flirt: down to hold the placards!!

Whew...should be fun to watch but I am sure it was awful to do!!

Thanks to wp for finding the video!! The afternoon Twitter vid is the promo "Traditional" that we already have, so I think that's all folks!!

I am continuing to update post 2 in this thread with info as we get it!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
So it is clear from the video that the Cowboys were in first, Brent/Caite behind, then Michael and Louie...no sign of Dan and Jordan.
Unless Dan and Jordan are so far ahead in 1st place  :ascared we don't see them in the stadium...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
By the insider report Dan and Jordan arrived third at the Pitstop though, and Michael apparently had trouble due to some level of color blindness as well.
RFF's Golden Rule: