Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 9: "Dumb did us in" (Singapore)  (Read 111845 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP 9: "Dumb did us in" (Singapore)
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Ha, thanks Chateau! That's a technique I can never figure out...

The timeline for the first half of the race looks like this then:
~8.10am: Train scheduled to arrive in Singapore.
~9.00am: From experience and by working backwards, the train arrives late. Brent/Caite have trouble finding a taxi.
~9.20am: Teams arrive at the Singapore Flyer (or nearby), receive their Detour, and are presented the Fast Forward option.
~9.30am: Teams arrive at their respective Detour locations.
~9.45am: Their briefing done, Daniel/Jordan begin the Flyer climb. Also, Michael/Louie switch to ice-cream.
~10.00am: Michael/Louie begin the ice-cream option of the Detour.

We have our U-Turn at Istana Park, then not sure which comes first: Sentosa or the shipyard.
We know they all end early afternoon at the Marina Barrage.

It is close to impossible getting a taxi at the shipyard; Michael/Louie will lose at least 15min. My educated guess:
1. Daniel/Jordan (due to Fast Forward)
2. Jet/Cord (from what we've seen, doing better with taxis than Brent/Caite)
3. Brent/Caite (from what we've seen, doing worse with taxis than Jet/Cord)
4. Michael/Louie (self-U-Turn, losing taxi at Ulu Pandan)
5. Carol/Brandy (U-Turn)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:47:04 PM by Neobie »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »
OK, so you are Les Moonves, head of CBS. Here is the ratings information for the season beginning Sept. 2009 you have to consider:

"60 Minutes" - ranked No. 9 in the Nielsen ratings, with an average audience each week of 15.7 million

"The Amazing Race" 15 and 16 - there was a break of about 3 months but for the Sunday nights that a season was active, my memory says the average weekly audience have been between 9 million and 10 million.

Now, would you bump or otherwise take away from a consistent top-rated and profitable show for only the past 42 years to favor a very good show with 8.5 years of moderate ratings? No business executive would (unless he knew that Andy rooney would be retiring and taking the franchise with him).
While 60 minutes is viewed by more people on average, TAR generates more revenue, since the advent of people meters, total audience hasn't been the measure that sets ad rates (what pays teh bills) that is age demographics (60 minutes has one of the worst of any show on CBS) and household income (60 minutes has one of the highest of CBS).  

TAR for most of its run (has People meters took over in 05) has generated more ad revenue then 60 minutes.  In fact, until this season no other show on Sunday for CBS has generated more revenue for CBS on Sunday then TAR.

And 60 minutes has been having significant year to year declines among not only its total audience, but severe declines in adults 18-49 (the key age demographic used to set ad rates).

The reason CBS wont (at least for a couple years) change 60 minutes is not due to its audience, but do it being considered an institution.

While 60 minutes is going to end this season in may with 20-30% declines across the board (at thats being generous) TAR will actually be showing year to year increases.  And has been one of the most stable performers on CBS.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:00:21 PM by mswood »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »
I don't recall having a Fast Forward immediately next to a route marker before, so there might just be a different first location teams are instructed to head for other than the Singapore Flyer.

This shot was taken on the south side of the Esplanade Bridge across the Singapore River from the Esplanade, where the Merlion is. This is also very close to Victoria Concert Hall, seen in our first promo. Any chance the first clue would be around here?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:16:32 PM by Neobie »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »
Teams could have made their way first to The Esplanade, or the Merlion.. then they will be asked to spot the biggest wheel in the world, where they will know it's the flyer because they can literally see the flyer from Esplanade or Merlion.

Online north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2010, 07:08:14 PM »
Teams could have made their way first to The Esplanade, or the Merlion.. then they will be asked to spot the biggest wheel in the world, where they will know it's the flyer because they can literally see the flyer from Esplanade or Merlion.

It would make more sense if the Fast Forward doesn't flat-out say go to the flyer, but rather hints at what it is, leaving the team that goes for it to figure the rest out.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
At 9.45am, Dan and Jordan scale the flyer, the FF takes 30 minutes to complete (30 minutes for the flyer to revolve one round)

So D/J will receive their clue at about 10.15am, after which they will take a cab to Marina Barrage which is 5 to 10 minutes cab ride away.

ESTIMATED CHECK-IN TIME: 10.30am

As for Brent and Caite.. perhaps completed the Detour by 10am, takes around less than 15 minutes to travel to Istana Park, then about 25 minutes to travel to Shipyard, followed by 20 minutes to complete Roadblock, less than 15 minutes to travel to Mega Zip, 10 minutes to complete task, 15 minutes to travel to Marina Barrage.

Accounting nothing else goes wrong... ESTIMATED CHECK-IN TIME should be 11.45am? (Should be before 12pm)

:lol:

The rest, if i'm not wrong.. should be checking in after 12pm.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Frankly speaking, looking at how Dan and Jordan, Brent and Caite and Mike and Louie performed during the first 3 legs.. nobody would have bet that they would be in the final 4.

I would have thought that the final 4 would be Jet and Cord, Carol and Brandy, Steve and Allie and Joe and Heidi.

I really want Jet and Cord to win now. Because they are the only team to do consistently well (except for one leg) and i don't mind Dan and Jordan winning now actually. Anyone but the detectives.

Dan and Jordan would have been eliminated if Steve and Allie didn't have a bad leg.
Jet and Cord would have been eliminated if it wasn't for the NEL.
Brent and Caite could have been eliminated on the first half of the race where every leg seemed to be a bad leg for them.
As for Michael and Louie, they should have been eliminated on Leg 2... least deserving to win. The reason why they still stuck around was because they beat an old granny and 2 females who were U-TURNed.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
We have eyewitness info of Mike and Louie at the Barrage about 130...along with a couple in red which I still think could have been Steve and Allie...  but that is an excellent time analysis, thank you!! :hearts:

And I would just like to say a Big THANK YOU to all you Singaporeans who made this leg come alive for us!! All of your hard work, personal running around to check the sites, and local information made this a wonderful leg!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
Oh, piece of geographical information:
The fountain Allan Wu was sitting at was pretty much where TARA2 began; the Asian Civilizations Museum is right next to the Victoria Concert Hall and Allan is about 100m/110yd from where he was flagging off the TARA teams...

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2010, 01:13:48 AM »
Oh, piece of geographical information:
The fountain Allan Wu was sitting at was pretty much where TARA2 began; the Asian Civilizations Museum is right next to the Victoria Concert Hall and Allan is about 100m/110yd from where he was flagging off the TARA teams...

And I confirm that the roadblock was at Ulu Pandan, my friend used to work as an engineer at the company where the roadblock took place (in 2007).

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
We have eyewitness info of Mike and Louie at the Barrage about 130...along with a couple in red which I still think could have been Steve and Allie...  but that is an excellent time analysis, thank you!! :hearts:

And I would just like to say a Big THANK YOU to all you Singaporeans who made this leg come alive for us!! All of your hard work, personal running around to check the sites, and local information made this a wonderful leg!!

But considering this very dumb cast, i won't be surprise if Brent and Caite barely checked in at around 12 to 1pm. :lol: