Author Topic: EP6: East Coast live show updates and commentary *please read the rules*  (Read 35151 times)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Just listening to Brent & Caite and Jordan & Jeff deter my enjoyment of this episode.
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
That's the most beautiful crash of glassware I've ever seen!   

Brent/Caite go back outside ... back into the field. Jordeff arrive, happy that someone might still be doing the Detour. 

Jeff, logically thinks (!) that because Brent/Caite are outside looking, that the grapes must be like, impossible to find.  So he and Jordan go inside to build a tower, not realizing that they just F A I L E D at that.

Phil: Dan/Jordan, you're Team #5.

Jeff tries to convince Jordan they can build a tower.

Caite finds a colored bunch of grapes.  He elicits an apology for them, not having stayed their earlier.

C R A S H ! ! ! !  A chunk of glassware hits the floor. Jordeff must start over or change Detours.

Phil: Brent/Caite, pick a number.
Both: Six?  Yeah! 

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Jeff: I wonder how pissed Phil is? :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Just listening to Brent & Caite and Jordan & Jeff deter my enjoyment of this episode.
Hell I seriously pick on Dandrew, but even those idiots were just goofballs.  These two teams alone have to be the dumbest teams that have ever been cast on this show.

Then the other half have about as much competition in them as John and Scott.  I don't want to run!!!!,  I don't want to get dirty!!!!

How about I want to kill all of you!!!!

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I saw coconuts!

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
On top of everything else, ****ing Yuku ate my last post. What a ****ing ****stain of a website this is.  

Reconstructed ...

Jordeff, at night, search for the grapes. They eventually find them with flashlights.

Phil: Sorry to tell you, you have been eliminated from the Race.
Jeff: I could complain about the million, but I have Jordan, and that's priceless.
Jordan: I did a lot of fun stuff I could never do anywhere else. This was the best!
Jeff: That was really nice, Jordan!

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
NEXT WEEK ON .. THE AMAZING RACE:

Teams mispronounce Seychelles!  And when Brent/Caite get bullheaded (i.e., have to interact with a real live, bull) Brent threatens to quit the Race.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Hell I seriously pick on Dandrew, but even those idiots were just goofballs.  These two teams alone have to be the dumbest teams that have ever been cast on this show.

Then the other half have about as much competition in them as John and Scott.  I don't want to run!!!!,  I don't want to get dirty!!!!

How about I want to kill all of you!!!!
It'ls like Brent & Caite fill up the archetype of: dumb, evil, annoying and disfunctional
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I just can't believe this season.  Looking at the first episode things look really good (as far as racers, their ability and their attitude) look really good (save Adrian & Dana and that does happen), but hear we are episode 6.  And we have a tremendous number of errors, teams that have to real drive to succeed, teams that don't want to get down and dirty, and then just a host of people that are incredibly stupid.

Heck look at Jet & Cord (one of the few teams I really like) sure they don't have much world experience, but thats OK, I don't judge that.  But I expect all the teams to have some basic reasoning skills, and my God!  its a barren waste land out there.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Jeff: "What are we doing this for? To teach kids to stay in school?" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

EXACTLY! :'(

Seriously, the teams that are still racing have severe competitiveness and intelligence issues. I get the feeling that Dana & Adrian and Jody & Shannon would have been smarter (even though Jody & Shannon weren't so competitive). The issue might be that we've just lost all the intelligent teams early. :P

This is why the casting director needs to be replaced. Too many mactors and dumbed-down Americans. Let's get some smart people instead (I am begging at this point). :umn:

Still, this was a solid episode that was actually dangerous for the stupid teams. If legs like this continue, the stupid teams should be gone soon enough.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:03:39 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Hooky

I just want to clarify that when I state a team is stupid, I am not talking about what people call book smarts, but the ability read, have basic comprehension skills, and the ability to think on their fleet.

Take Eric & Jeremy a team that no one would accuse of being smart (including themselves), yet with a few exceptions raced extremely smart.

In fact many of the "Mactor" teams have raced well over their seasons. 

Teams need a balance, of basic reasoning skills, and basic athleticism to typical do well on this race (their have been exceptions).

I don't think so far that any of the eliminated teams have shown any balance.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
To be fair, the tourist office shared some of the blame. Furthermore, this season is much harder navigation-wise since maybe TAR 6? Racers have not been spoon-fed instructions, and it shows. BADLY.  :groan:

However, this was the best leg in terms of task design and execution (editing) since TAR 14. Now we just need to fix the cast. I understand the casting director needs drama, but really, stupidity lowers the enjoyment.

Caite really grated this leg, and it looks like she'll continue next episode. My God that voice. She needs to get out ASAP. Well one can wish...

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I'm glad I'm not the only one on Caite. I said on Twitter how much I disliked her racing and I got 30 tweets attacking me. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
To be fair, the tourist office shared some of the blame. Furthermore, this season is much harder navigation-wise since maybe TAR 6? Racers have not been spoon-fed instructions, and it shows. BADLY.  :groan:

However, this was the best leg in terms of task design and execution (editing) since TAR 14. Now we just need to fix the cast. I understand the casting director needs drama, but really, stupidity lowers the enjoyment.

Caite really grated this leg, and it looks like she'll continue next episode. My God that voice. She needs to get out ASAP. Well one can wish...
Actually self navigation wise seasons 7, 9, 10, 11 all had far more (in miles way, way more) and in far worse (and difficult areas, both in locations and language barriers) then what teams have had to do this season.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
To be fair, the tourist office shared some of the blame. Furthermore, this season is much harder navigation-wise since maybe TAR 6? Racers have not been spoon-fed instructions, and it shows. BADLY.  :groan:

Actually self navigation wise seasons 7, 9, 10, 11 all had far more (in miles way, way more) and in far worse (and difficult areas, both in locations and language barriers) then what teams have had to do this season.

Wow, my memory is shoddy. Then again I watched those seasons in middle school.
Still,  you have to admit 4 out of 6 legs with self-driving trumps every edition post-11.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
It certainly is better then seasons 13, 14 and 15.  Season 12 actually had some driving in it.  Difficulty wise probably not a ton, but mileage wise more then what they have had to do so far.

But really this season the distance they have driven hasn't been that great.   But like you say it is an improvement over the last few seasons.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
It certainly is better then seasons 13, 14 and 15.  Season 12 actually had some driving in it.  Difficulty wise probably not a ton, but mileage wise more then what they have had to do so far.

But really this season the distance they have driven hasn't been that great.   But like you say it is an improvement over the last few seasons.

Thank God, we didn't do that much of self-driving on my season!!! It was reallllllly hard to get a good direction from locals!  We had a sweet German couple led us from the detour task to the pit stop in Austria. Big helpful would be to have a local to lead a team to the tasks instead of writing directions down. That could pretty much could seal your fate.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Hooky

I just want to clarify that when I state a team is stupid, I am not talking about what people call book smarts, but the ability read, have basic comprehension skills, and the ability to think on their fleet.

Take Eric & Jeremy a team that no one would accuse of being smart (including themselves), yet with a few exceptions raced extremely smart.

In fact many of the "Mactor" teams have raced well over their seasons. 

Teams need a balance, of basic reasoning skills, and basic athleticism to typical do well on this race (their have been exceptions).

I don't think so far that any of the eliminated teams have shown any balance.

With the possible exception of Joe & Heidi, I'd agree that none of the eliminated teams showed a real balance.  Then again, Joe & Heidi got the U-Turn and had to do a Morse Code thing -- which would've been real hard for me, even though I have at least one Nancy Drew game that uses Morse Code!

Belle Book

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
But let me say that despite the continued lack of basic skills for several of the teams, this was still one of my favorite legs for this season. Humor, self-driving, Jeff & Jordan's overdue demise, difficult clues, and racers very much relying on their own skills. :wohoo:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
I just can't believe this season.  Looking at the first episode things look really good (as far as racers, their ability and their attitude) look really good (save Adrian & Dana and that does happen), but hear we are episode 6.  And we have a tremendous number of errors, teams that have to real drive to succeed, teams that don't want to get down and dirty, and then just a host of people that are incredibly stupid.

Heck look at Jet & Cord (one of the few teams I really like) sure they don't have much world experience, but thats OK, I don't judge that.  But I expect all the teams to have some basic reasoning skills, and my God!  its a barren waste land out there.

After looking through the TAR1-TAR15 stats on wiki, it confirms my belief about how bad the racers are this season.

When adding up the placements for the first 6 legs for both Dan & Jordan and Brent & Caite, you end up with a total of 37 for each team.  We've never had two teams in the final 3 perform as badly as these two teams have performed through 6 legs. 

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Well, one just can't use placement.  I mean the previous episode Louie & Michael get #1 (yet in a leg that was completely in their control, no bunching, no waiting for transport, no mass transport, no public transport.  Yet only one team actually performed the leg slower then them and that is Joe & Heidi.  I mean seriously.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Thank God, we didn't do that much of self-driving on my season!!! It was reallllllly hard to get a good direction from locals!  We had a sweet German couple led us from the detour task to the pit stop in Austria. Big helpful would be to have a local to lead a team to the tasks instead of writing directions down. That could pretty much could seal your fate.
I hate it when teams get lead to their locations (I wish it was illegal).  Seriously on something that has the term race in it, I find that the ability to get directions, use a map, and research (can stress how often older seasons used Hotels and internet).  You rarely saw teams pay a cab or ask a local to ride with them or drive in front guiding them. 

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
It certainly is better then seasons 13, 14 and 15.  Season 12 actually had some driving in it.  Difficulty wise probably not a ton, but mileage wise more then what they have had to do so far.

But really this season the distance they have driven hasn't been that great.   But like you say it is an improvement over the last few seasons.

Thank God, we didn't do that much of self-driving on my season!!! It was reallllllly hard to get a good direction from locals!  We had a sweet German couple led us from the detour task to the pit stop in Austria. Big helpful would be to have a local to lead a team to the tasks instead of writing directions down. That could pretty much could seal your fate.
I hate it when teams get lead to their locations (I wish it was illegal).  Seriously on something that has the term race in it, I find that the ability to get directions, use a map, and research (can stress how often older seasons used Hotels and internet).  You rarely saw teams pay a cab or ask a local to ride with them or drive in front guiding them.  
Didn't somebody state that Mike & Louie got a penalty in a SA leg for hiring a taxi cab to lead them? ???
So I guess the taxi cab issue is settled. And as for the ferns, I believe being able to interact with the locals is as valuable (if not more) than navigation skills, but that's just my opinion.
The story so far:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah this is the first season that it is no longer allowed (thank you god), you can still follow a person, but I would assume you can't pay someone for guiding you (Or its specific towards cabs).