Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)  (Read 115735 times)

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
We pretty much see all the teams running through the airport at the same time.  Not sure if I saw Mike & Louie, though.

Performing the RoadBlock we see Jet, Caite, Louie and Carol.

Oh, and I think that's incense when it says "Exotic Rituals."  It looks like maybe he's blessing the flags for the chingay.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:35:01 PM by chill_sd »

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
Looks like they're carrying giant incense sticks.

Also - "find the guru" - probable Speed Bump? (and an homage to TARA's hilarious "find the girl on the swing" task?)

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
It's kind of like "find the scientist in the hammock" from Family Edition, too.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »
Getting a lot of help from my Penang friends... :lol:

The Pit Stop looks like the Peranakan Mansion. Extremely excited to see the Peranakans getting some love! Penang, along with the other two original Straits Settlements, is one of the few places in the world, even within Malaysia, to have this beautiful mix of cultures, and I'm very glad they're acknowledging this very special bit of Malaysia. And on top of that we get Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists... Cultural propriety win!

Also, it's not a huge surprise, but the snake temple is the famous Temple of the Azure Cloud (清雲巖) at Bayan Lepas.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:13:57 PM by Neobie »

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
It also looks like Carol & Brandy and Dan & Jordan completely finish the incense.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:10:30 PM by Dawne »

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
I also can't figure out what the building by the coconuts is:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2010, 05:24:18 PM »
If it's any help, Dawne, when they show Louie, you can see that it is a sandy area by the water.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I remember in Amazing Race Asia 1 on the beach at Ko Poda Island, Thailand where only Sandy had the force to open coconuts until one with red dye was smashed open. Perhaps a variant of that ROADBLOCK was used in Penang to create the huge pile of opened coconuts. Of course it could also be just a copra factory by the beach.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:34:24 PM by apskip »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Well, the good news for Jet & Cord fans is that by the look of things, they are one of the early teams to the Road Block.  Not very many broken coconuts when we see Jet.

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
Well, the good news for Jet & Cord fans is that by the look of things, they are one of the early teams to the Road Block.  Not very many broken coconuts when we see Jet.
Nice observation, there are a bunch by Caite when she's there!
If it's any help, Dawne, when they show Louie, you can see that it is a sandy area by the water.
I noticed that, but there is a lot of beach in penang. :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
Thank you chills for the video! I watched for that till 5 then had to go, but am starting on the screen caps now...guesstimate about an hour or more.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »
I noticed that, but there is a lot of beach in penang. :lol:

True that.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
Thank you chills for the video! I watched for that till 5 then had to go, but am starting on the screen caps now...guesstimate about an hour or more.

Thanks a bunch, Peach.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »
Hey, I'm no puddin, but I am getting faster!! First half!! :hearts:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
My incense!!!! :hearts:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:27:23 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
I'm confused then... What's with the carrying of the flags with the mouth?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »

That's part of the Detour.  The giant incense sticks are for a general task, I believe.

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
OK thanks.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
I'm still learning how to choose the best caps, so if anyone thinks there might be something inbetween that I missed, I may have more...so ask!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »
It looks like they have to carry the incense sticks up some stairs, so maybe that's part of the Detour, also.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »

That's part of the Detour.  The giant incense sticks are for a general task, I believe.

The detour is either carry the flags across the field, balanced on head or carry the giant incense sticks up the 152(3) steps. It appears that both teammates have to carry a flag or carry a giant incense stick.

It appears that Jet/Cord and Steve/Allie do the flags. It looks like Dan/Jordan, Brent/Caite and Carol/Brandy do the giant incense sticks. I dont see anything in there about which one Mike/Louie do.

Peach is there any possiblity of getting a screencap just before the flag detour screencap with the sun in the middle. I think that is Steve, but not 100% sure. It looks like Allie in the right background though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:59:02 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
Steve and Allie doesn't get their bags back! (I guess so.)  :ascared
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »
Thanks for the videos and the caps guys!

Thnee Kong Thua (天公壇), or Altar of the Jade Emperor. It's a Taoist, not Buddhist, temple - so I think TPTB screwed up by putting a Theravada monk there. Not too far from the 'wrong' Kek Lok Si Temple; they're both in Air Hitam. The two are only 2.6km (1.6mi) apart from each other by road; it's pretty walkable and I've covered the route myself. Absolutely no problem with a taxi. Expect to watch it get played up on TV though.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:11:11 PM by Neobie »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
Nice work!  :jumpy: The cap matches the "trinity buddhas" in the lower temple hall (source, middle of page).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2010, 07:22:43 PM »
Another nice site with lots of info:

http://www.penang-traveltips.com/jade-emperor-pavilion.htm

Thni Kong Tnua, or Jade Emperor's Pavilion, is a Taoist temple at the foot of Penang Hill in Air Itam, Penang. It is located to the right of the Penang Hill Railway Station.

As the name suggests, the Jade Emperor's Pavilion is dedicated to the worship of the Jade Emperor, or Thni Kong. The term Thni Kong means Heavenly Grandfather, and is the common title for the Huang Shangdi, or Pure August Emperor of Jade. This is the most important deity in the Chinese Taoist pantheon, and is regarded as the ruler of heaven. The worship of the Jade Emperor is traced to as early as the 9th century AD, when he was the patron deity of the imperial family.

The Thni Kong Tnua or Jade Emperor's Pavilion in Air Itam is one of those rare temples dedicated to the worship of this august deity. The temple in its present form dates back to 1905. It was built by the same Cantonese-Hokkien temple trustees as the Kong Hock Keong, better known as Kuan Yin Teng. A Taoist shrine is said to have existed on that particular site since 1869, and for that reason, the present Jade Emperor's Pavilion is regarded as being over 140 years old.

Before the renovation of 2002, the Jade Emperor's Pavilion received its last major facelift through the efforts of the philanthropist brothers Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par, of Haw Par Villa fame. That was back in 1931. Among the structures built at that time was an octagonal pavilion that is still standing.

The Jade Emperor's Pavilion sits on a horse-shoe knoll called Fong San, or Phoenix Mountain, a particularly auspicious position, for it represents the four sacred creatures of Taoism – green dragon, white tiger, black turtle and red peacock, each guarding the temple in four cardinal directions.

The Thni Kong Tnua is unique in that it is a Taoist temple managed by Buddhist monks. One of the more imminent was Abbot Jing Ming, a Mahayanist Buddhist monk who also taught Zen Buddism. He was the abbot of Thni Kong Tnua from 1905 to 1915.

The Thni Kong Tnua underwent extensive renovation and restoration which began in January 2002. As the craftmanship is not available locally, artisans from China had to be employed. They include 33 craftsmen from Fuzhou. The people involved in the restoration is also the ones who worked on the award-winning Thian Hock Keng Temple in Singapore. The restoration of the Thian Hock Keng Temple received an award from Unesco for cultural heritage conservation.

The Jade Emperor's Pavilion is particularly busy on 8th night of Chinese New Year, because it is thronged by devotees coming to celebrate the Jade Emperor's birthday. As I am neither Buddhist nor Taoist, I document the Thni Kong Tnua for Penang Travel Tips and AsiaExplorers from a purely secular, heritage and cultural perspective. I photographed the Jade Emperor's Pavilion on 28 January, 2006, during Chinese New Year, when the temple was still in the midst of the renovations. Later I organised a site visit to it for the Penang Heritage Trust, but unfortunately I myself was unable to attend as I was away overseas. Nevertheless, it gave the participants of the visit a glimpse at one of the few temples to be erected for the Jade Emperor. I understand that the temple trustee are keen to submit it for Unesco consideration for heritage culture conservation.

Getting there
Take Rapid Penang Bus U204 which goes to the Penang Hill Railway station. Check the Rapid Penang Bus Routes for details. From the bus stop, walk a short distance down the road till you reach a lane to your left with a big arch. The arch is for the Jade Emperor's Pavilion. Take that lane. A short distance up that lane, Go straight up until you see the Jade Emperor Pavilion perched on the hill side. The hill railway viaduct passes right behind the temple.

What to see and do
The Jade Emperor Pavilion was recently restored. Go inside and admire the pavilion itself, which has the largest tragrams dome of any Taoist temples in the region. The temple is resplendent in its crimson lacquer.

Nearby Sights
The following are sights within the immediate vicinity or close by:

Bat Cave Temple: Just a walking distance away
Beow Hiang Lim Temple
Huat Huah Liam Temple
Ayer Itam Maha Mariamman Temple
Kek Lok Si: Not actually close by, since you have to drive or take the bus there, but worth a visit if you have the time
RFF's Golden Rule: