Author Topic: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)  (Read 94538 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »
Bus:

So what's with the bikes??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline sses

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
speed bump ???? :duno:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2010, 10:44:47 PM »
Thanks for the previews, everyone! :wohoo:

Not feeling too happy about this episode...it looks like it will be an almost exact repeat of Leg 4 in TAR 14. :P

RACERS BECOME THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY ON A FRENCH BATTLEFIELD WHERE SHORT TEMPERS AND ARROGANCE COULD LEAD TO THEIR DEMISE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 14

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

What cocky attitude? How is saving a place in line cocky? I can understand claiming to know the subways in LA as maybe being cocky, but what evil thing have they done? This is a severe case of editing creating a non-existent personality. :P

Sorry, the survival of Jeff & Jordan and now this foreboding preview have put me in a bad mood.
Sorry I have to disagree with you (and a couple of others), but every episode (or the clips for those episodes) has had some racer (or even his wife) talk about him being either rude, pushy or cocky.  It doesn't seem to be a single isolated instance that is causing teams to have problems with Joe.As for reasons to U-Turn someone if you are going to use this tool are varied.

There are several reasons to U-Turn a team.

1.  You feel they are a threat.
2.  Their very presence annoys the living hell out of you (ofr example I would have Yielded the hell out of Jonathan & Victoria and the Weavers regardless of how good or bad a team I thought they were just because I hated them so much).
3.  You know that team is behind you.

Joe & Heidi are doing ok, but Joe has made no secret that his leg is really bothering him, so I don't know how much of a long term threat I would take them for.  But it is a valid reason.

And we know many teams are upset at him, some are uncomfortable around him (certainly not a glowing recommendation about him), and some have taken personal offense at him.  So clearly a valid reason there.

And of course the third, they might be a team that someone absolutely knows is right behind them.

In season 14 for example it was solely for two reasons (at least what was said, we could ask Luke if their personality had any thing to do with it), knowing that team was behind them, and seeing them as a significant threat.

Her, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done primarily due to team's reactions to Joe himself.  I mean just in the last leg we have two teams say they feel very uncomfortable around him. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:47:54 PM by mswood »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:48 PM »
speed bump ???? :duno:

That certainly could be Jeff & Jordan on the bikes, so the Speed Bump is a definite possibility.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2010, 10:49:15 PM »

Could this be Jeff and Jordan doing the Speed Bump task?

DavidJunior

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »

Not feeling too happy about this episode...it looks like it will be an almost exact repeat of Leg 4 in TAR 14. :P

RACERS BECOME THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY ON A FRENCH BATTLEFIELD WHERE SHORT TEMPERS AND ARROGANCE COULD LEAD TO THEIR DEMISE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 14

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

What cocky attitude? How is saving a place in line cocky? I can understand claiming to know the subways in LA as maybe being cocky, but what evil thing have they done? This is a severe case of editing creating a non-existent personality. :P

Sorry, the survival of Jeff & Jordan and now this foreboding preview have put me in a bad mood.

I agree with you about the description of, presumably, Joe & Heidi as "cocky" as coming out of left field.

The editors tried to do it with saving spots from episode 2 and the "I have a compass" from episode 3, but, other than that, they haven't shown any other substantial footage.

There's always a new insider video every week, where some racer keeps saying that Joe is this, that, and the other thing, but they never show us any footage of this behaviour. 

I don't get it.  Justin from TAR15 tweeted that he and some other racers didn't like Lance while on the race, but they at least showed footage of Lance's weird behaviour.  All I get regarding Joe is talk.

Even if Joe & Heidi survive this elimination, I'm guessing that the U-Turn sets them too far back to make up the difference in the next elimination.

On another note, are Daniel & Jordan the first racers to consistently wear backwards baseball caps on the race?

We can't forget that Joe told another team that they were weak to their face (Allie and Steve), yelled at taxis, bus drivers, and other racers to hurry up, and made some very rude comments to the brothers (namely Jordan).

so yeah, i think it is safe to say that there is some cockiness in there.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:27 PM »

Good thought! There is another cap hiding in there but I haven't been able to get it yet...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

AmazingDT

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

I agree with you about the description of, presumably, Joe & Heidi as "cocky" as coming out of left field.

The editors tried to do it with saving spots from episode 2 and the "I have a compass" from episode 3, but, other than that, they haven't shown any other substantial footage.

There's always a new insider video every week, where some racer keeps saying that Joe is this, that, and the other thing, but they never show us any footage of this behaviour. 

I don't get it.  Justin from TAR15 tweeted that he and some other racers didn't like Lance while on the race, but they at least showed footage of Lance's weird behaviour.  All I get regarding Joe is talk.

Even if Joe & Heidi survive this elimination, I'm guessing that the U-Turn sets them too far back to make up the difference in the next elimination.

On another note, are Daniel & Jordan the first racers to consistently wear backwards baseball caps on the race?

We can't forget that Joe told another team that they were weak to their face (Allie and Steve), yelled at taxis, bus drivers, and other racers to hurry up, and made some very rude comments to the brothers (namely Jordan).

Um, that was Carol who told Allie and Steve they were weak.  Carol and Brandy are waaaaaaaaaay more annoying than Joe and Heidi.  They offend people and then when they see someone getting offended, they act like they've never done that before.

DavidJunior

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »

Um, that was Carol who told Allie and Steve they were weak.  Carol and Brandy are waaaaaaaaaay more annoying than Joe and Heidi.  They offend people and then when they see someone getting offended, they act like they've never done that before.

:groan: sorry... got my annoying people confused for a second there...

but, there is still enough to say that he is pretty cocky

just because they don't show his attitude around the others, doesn't mean he doesn't have a bad one

Offline ml84

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:46 AM »
Could be jeff and jordan.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »
Thank you ml84!! and :welcome: to RFF!!

More caps:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »
Is this Michael??

There is an explosion right after this shot...is this a racer?

Is this Louie??

Will this help us find this place?? What IS that??

And I think I have all the good stuff now...thank you Slowhatch for the new toys!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline the_headcrusher

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • You flathead!
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »
If it helps any, I think I found the museum and airfield the aircraft came from.....but than again I may be way off  :-[

Aircraft is a Fokker DR.1 replica (sadly there are no original DR 1, so everyone is a replica): http://www.edts.info/museum/exponate/fokker-dr-i/

Museum airfield:http://www.edts.info/der-flugplatz/
Museum homepage: http://www.edts.info/startseite/

A good landing is one you can walk away from.  A great landing is one where they can use the plane again.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2010, 02:33:04 AM »
I think the real reason why everyone is so upset with Joe (apparently) is his tone of voice. The way he comes across, regardless of his intentions, is perceived to be rude. And he also doesn't smile very much - he seems to be pretty serious most of the time. But I think it's pathetic that a lack of "average" social behavior is taken by many of the other racers to be rudeness. I don't think he's so much of a confrontational person as one who is mistaken for that because of his tone of voice and such.

David: It's very common for racers to yell at or frantically direct cab drivers, so I don't see how this would offend any other team. And as for rude comments to Dan & Jordan, I haven't seen/heard those. When were these? :duno:

But maybe we're all off the mark and they will simply be U-turned because they are strong (as mswood suggested). And then we'll see the rest of the race dominated by Jet & Cord and the U-turning team will realize their mistake. At least this time the dominant team would be an awesome one! :lol:

*Speculation*
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2010, 05:07:40 AM »
now i am wondering who is more 'villain' Joe or TAR6 Jonathan?
I think the real reason why everyone is so upset with Joe (apparently) is his tone of voice. The way he comes across, regardless of his intentions, is perceived to be rude. And he also doesn't smile very much - he seems to be pretty serious most of the time. But I think it's pathetic that a lack of "average" social behavior is taken by many of the other racers to be rudeness. I don't think he's so much of a confrontational person as one who is mistaken for that because of his tone of voice and such.

David: It's very common for racers to yell at or frantically direct cab drivers, so I don't see how this would offend any other team. And as for rude comments to Dan & Jordan, I haven't seen/heard those. When were these? :duno:

But maybe we're all off the mark and they will simply be U-turned because they are strong (as mswood suggested). And then we'll see the rest of the race dominated by Jet & Cord and the U-turning team will realize their mistake. At least this time the dominant team would be an awesome one! :lol:

*Speculation*
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:21 AM »

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Sorry I have to disagree with you (and a couple of others), but every episode (or the clips for those episodes) has had some racer (or even his wife) talk about him being either rude, pushy or cocky.  It doesn't seem to be a single isolated instance that is causing teams to have problems with Joe.As for reasons to U-Turn someone if you are going to use this tool are varied.

There are several reasons to U-Turn a team.

1.  You feel they are a threat.
2.  Their very presence annoys the living hell out of you (ofr example I would have Yielded the hell out of Jonathan & Victoria and the Weavers regardless of how good or bad a team I thought they were just because I hated them so much).
3.  You know that team is behind you.

Joe & Heidi are doing ok, but Joe has made no secret that his leg is really bothering him, so I don't know how much of a long term threat I would take them for.  But it is a valid reason.

And we know many teams are upset at him, some are uncomfortable around him (certainly not a glowing recommendation about him), and some have taken personal offense at him.  So clearly a valid reason there.

And of course the third, they might be a team that someone absolutely knows is right behind them.

In season 14 for example it was solely for two reasons (at least what was said, we could ask Luke if their personality had any thing to do with it), knowing that team was behind them, and seeing them as a significant threat.

Her, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done primarily due to team's reactions to Joe himself.  I mean just in the last leg we have two teams say they feel very uncomfortable around him. 
While I think that any of the above reasons are possible, lets also keep in mind Jordan & Jeff's Speed Bump. Maybe they used the U-Turn at the Detour, to make sure that they could have enough of a lead at the Speed Bump (assuming the Detour is before the Speed Bump).

However, I still think that Dan & Jordan are the likely offenders, or maybe Louie & Michael.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2010, 06:58:51 AM »
now i am wondering who is more 'villain' Joe or TAR6 Jonathan

There can be no comparison. Jonathan wa abusive, we have seen no evidence for that.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »
While I think that any of the above reasons are possible, lets also keep in mind Jordan & Jeff's Speed Bump. Maybe they used the U-Turn at the Detour, to make sure that they could have enough of a lead at the Speed Bump (assuming the Detour is before the Speed Bump).

However, I still think that Dan & Jordan are the likely offenders, or maybe Louie & Michael.

In this particular case, where a U-turn is involved, the roadblock usually comes after the detour, which in this case, the Speed Bump comes into play before the detour. (Season 12 Kynt & Vyxsin comes into mind)

I would assume, based on team interaction on previous episodes, that teams would either use the U-turn on Joe & Heidi, Carol & Brandy or Dan & Jordan.

I would personally u-turn Dan & Jordan.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
So do we think the war is a Detour?? ??? Somehow I wouldn't want to spend a zillion $$ on a task teams might not choose. :duno:

We see Mike and Louie, Dan and Jordan, Steve and Allie, Brandy and Carol, Joe and Heidi, and Jeff  for sure in the war zone.

We see Brent and Caite possibly deciding or reading the clue in a tented area that looks like the WW1 area.

We see JJ running with what looks to be rolls of something...plans?? ??? What is this?

And we don't see  the Cowboys in the war zone...right?? There are still a couple of uniformed people I haven't identified yet...

Who is the third person in this shot? Could it be Carol?

But seems to me if the U-Turn is in the War Zone, ALL the teams have to be able to see it...so I am thinking War Zone is NOT a Detour but a task they all have to do...

Maybe the Detour is WITHIN the war zone...we see a cluebox there, we have some teams crawling under barbed wire, some in a explosive area, and there is that sidecar with I think a machine gun housing on it as well...So my guess would be two separate Detours WITHIN the war zone. What exactly, I have no idea. :lol:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:46:58 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »

But seems to me if the U-Turn is in the War Zone, ALL the teams have to be able to see it...so I am thinking War Zone is NOT a Detour but a task they all have to do...

Maybe the Detour is WITHIN the war zone...we see a cluebox there, we have some teams crawling under barbed wire, some in a explosive area, and there is that sidecar with I think a machine gun housing on it as well...So my guess would be two separate Detours WITHIN the war zone. What exactly, I have no idea. :lol:

I agree with you peach that each part of the Detour is within WWI re-enactment.

I'm still amazed that TAR would set up this tremendous re-enactment instead of this being a regular festival or part of some museum.  Of course we still have a few more days to find more info.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »

Isnt that Cord on the far right? Cant tell if the middle one is Jet.
Matthew 7:15

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »

Looks more like Steve and Allie to me, cuz Jeff is more muscular and broader on his torso...

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »
Isn't this Jet & Cord?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
I agree that the detour is within the battle area.  Like in TAR 8 they had the Civil War Detour, In the heat of the night - fill kerosene lamps/In the heat of the battle - evacuate wounded soldiers.

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
Isn't this Jet & Cord?

I believe so.  :tup:
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )