Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 319079 times)

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »
Police said 200 to 300 bodies were found in the northeastern coastal city of Sendai. Another 88 were confirmed killed and at least 349 were missing. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of the disaster.

The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake unleashed a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0.

Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile (2,100-kilometer) stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles (kilometers) from the epicenter.

Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions because of the tsunami that crashed ashore, swallowing everything in its path as it surged several miles (kilometers) inland before retreating. The apocalyptic images of surging water broadcast by Japanese TV networks resembled scenes from a Hollywood disaster movie.

Large fishing boats and other sea vessels rode high waves into the cities, slamming against overpasses or scraping under them and snapping power lines along the way. Upturned and partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water. Ships anchored in ports crashed against each other.

The highways to the worst-hit coastal areas were severely damaged and communications, including telephone lines, were snapped. Train services in northeastern Japan and in Tokyo, which normally serve 10 million people a day, were also suspended, leaving untold numbers stranded in stations or roaming the streets. Tokyo's Narita airport was closed indefinitely.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
I hope our friends overseas stay safe. :(
From the Google homepage:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
I can't believe this isn't on any of my news channels where I am right now, and they aren't talking about anything but food or miscellaneous crap...I'm really pissed off with the mainstream media now...I have to go online just to find out what happened.

I hope everyone is okay, especially our friends that were already hit, I just found that California could have 7 foot waves.

Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
I think this deserves its own topic, I don't think the Disaster Curse is more important then the disaster itself.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
Thank God, Tsunami warnings here are now lifted. :hearts:

But I'm still worried about Japan. :'(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
If anyone knows somebody in Japan Google has put together a tool to find out their status:

http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en

Guam and Hawaii have already been hit with no major damage. British Columbia, Oregon, and Alaska are evacuating some coastal regions.

Offline cosmophobia

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »
Tsunami warnings here are still on, the wave might be arriving at midnight (in 11 hours).

OMG, this disaster curse is still on =(!!!

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
I do believe those cowboys made a earthquake disaster curse in China and Japan, this year.  Take a look at what they'd done to Chile last year.  Hopefully they won't make an earthquake curse to India later this year because they'd raced there for Unfinished Business edition, last year and India just like the 2 countries that I'd mentioned, it is also an earthquake prone country.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
do you think they'd made an earthquake disaster curse on Chile, Japan, China and [hopefully not] India? :umn:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
This one does come within the "curse" FWIW.

After I posted the initial report (as I was about to fall asleep and I was drowsy by then), I had just seen the live NHK feed from CNN of the first tsunami waves hitting in northeastern Japan.  So I knew the effects of the tsunami throughout the Pacific basin were potentially very serious. The TWC had not yet posted the 7-meter forecast though, and that is what passed through Hawaii overnight.

At this time (11:30 am EST), the first tsunami is now expected along the California coast at any time. And they are mentioning it as 7 feet, (2 meters).

This is the first trans-Pacific tsunami since the 1961 9.1 earthquake that hit Alaska and sent tsunamis that were observed in China, Japan, Hawaii, and the West Coast of the U.S.  That was in an era without satellite technology or communications.

Someone in Hawaii is reporting  that the sides of the Big Island that are facing towards Japan are seeing water 100 feet inland, but so far no deaths and no injuries, as the more populated areas actually are not on the north and west sides of the islands.

The one good thing out of this is that the tsunami detection and warning systems are getting their first real test since the Christmas 2004 Great Tsunami in the Indian Ocean. As most of the systems were  installed or upgraded after that event.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2011, 11:05:58 AM »
"The 1964 Alaska earthquake, also known as the Great Alaskan Earthquake, the Portage Earthquake and the Good Friday Earthquake, was a megathrust earthquake that began at 5:36 P.M. AST on Good Friday, March 27, 1964.[2] Across south-central Alaska, ground fissures, collapsing buildings, and tsunamis resulting from the temblor caused about 131 deaths."

From Wikipedia.

I worked in Alaska about 9 years after that. The debris had been cleared away, but they had not started rebuilding in parts of Anchorage that were destroyed. Also there was a lot of cleared areas in Valdez that had not been rebuilt on.

Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
topaz, you're being silly. Honestly, I don't think that sort of comment is appropriate given the loss of life from the earthquake in Japan.  There's so much chaos in the Tokyo area right now, I'm sure WRP isn't even able to check on the safety of the local folk who helped with the production of the Japanese leg.

Narita is closed, and it isn't clear whether that is just a precaution, or because there was damage at the airport. Many of the roadways in the Tokyo area are closed as a precaution; and at the same time the 8.9 earthquake came after 2 days of numerous pre-shocks, and there have been many post-shocks since the main shock. I just hope that the additional shocks do not cause any further loss of life or serious damages, both of which are possible.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »
Scientists said the quake ranked as the fifth-largest earthquake in the world since 1900 and was nearly 8,000 times stronger than one that devastated Christchurch, New Zealand, last month.

Thousands without power in Tokyo...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
I think this deserves its own topic, I don't think the Disaster Curse is more important then the disaster itself.

We discussed this earlier...there is of course no real disaster "curse", we are using this thread as a way to communicate about places and people we have come to love thanks to the race.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
My heart goes out to all affected, and I pray for the best for all, in Japan and elsewhere!

Is Kenchan or any of our other posters based in Japan?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:32:26 PM by Neobie »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
My heart goes out to all affected, and I pray for the best for all, in Japan and elsewhere!

I think Kenchan is US based, but his buddies that did the leg work are in Tokyo.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
This is a truly a major disaster and it isn't over with in Japan, 2 nuclear plants are having cooling problems with their reactors. As Neobie said, my heart goes out to all the victims of the earthquake and tsunami. I am praying for our RFF family members around the world to be safe and sound.   

If anyone wishes to donate, be careful, fake sites are popping up but here are 3 that are safe:

American Red Cross Go to http://www.redcross.org to donate to Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami or donate $10 by texting REDCROSS to 90999

Salvation Army: Text either the word JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 to make a $10 donation or call 1-800-SALARMY or go to http://www.disaster.salvationarmyusa.org. Mail checks made out to "Japan Earthquake Relief" to the Salvation Army World Service Office, International Relief Fund, P.O. Box 630728, Baltimore, MD 21263

AmeriCares emergency team is on full alert, mobilizing resources and dispatching an emergency response manager to the region.
https://secure.americares.org/site/Donation2?df_id=1503&1503.donation=form1

I'm sure there are other organizations that are sending aid as well. A number of countries are offering assistance, China, USA, England, Russia to name a few.

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
One place to go to that vets anything they list is CNN.com/impact.

-- theschnauzers

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »
Not sure if this is exactly the right place to put this, but heres a video shot during the quake.

For those of us from very calm areas, such as myself, its a big eye opener.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »
Coutzy, dramatic as that video was, I don't think it was shot very near the epicenter. I would have expected far more violent shaking than that. That looked similar to what I experienced during the 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake near San Francisco in 1989. Lots of shaking, a bookcase knocked over but no broken windows. The cameraman was standing without too much trouble except for one brief section. I was keeping myself in a doorway and holding on to the door frame for support. The Japan earthquake was hundreds of times stronger than what I went through and if it was near the epicenter, I'd expect it to have at least knocked over the computer monitor and the microwave in the kitchen. It probably would have also immediately hurled everything from the shelves shown in the first part of the video. I'm guessing it was shot in Tokyo or somewhere similar that was a couple of hundred miles away from the epicenter.

It's still pretty impressive. I'm glad I wasn't there.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:46 AM »
everyone, I'd just read a tweet message today coming from Phil Keoghan himself that he will make a public service announcement on tomorrow's episode of TAR 18 about the earthquake in Japan, yesterday.  So we could wait for that one and please pray for the victims as well. :tup:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »

I think Kenchan is US based, but his buddies that did the leg work are in Tokyo.

His family in Tokyo are safe. He is trying to reach our TAR compatriots.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
Compare these images:  Minamisanriku

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
So sad. :'(  Unbelievable really.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
Minamisanriku

Thats the town that has half its residents missing.....about 9500 unaccounted for. The shape of the bay funnels the water. It probably had a higher tsunami than places with straight coasts.