Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 319082 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:05 AM »
Here's why I said what I said.  The only two previous times Phil has filmed a last-minute special opening was for the Sri Lanka episodes in TAR 6, and the New Orleans episodes in TAR 8, and now this weekend for Chile. Which were the three examples I mentioned. (Unfortunately the writer for Variety wasn't aware of the Katrina/New Orleans episode(s).

And of course, it's not really a curse, but these have been three of the most intense natural disasters since the show first aired; not to mention that the very first episode ever, starting in New York City, aired six days before 9/11.

But it is a weird set of coincidences, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:51:40 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
another coincidence is all 3 TAR seasons were involved in even seasons (TAR6, TAR8 and TAR16)
Here's why I said what I said.  The only two previous times Phil has filmed a last-minute special opening was for the Sri Lanka episodes in TAR 6, and the New Orleans episodes in TAR 8, and now this weekend for Chile. Which were the three examples I mentioned. (Unfortunately the writer for Variety wasn't aware of the Katrina/New Orleans episode(s).

And of course, it's not really a curse, but these have been three of the most intense natural disasters since the show first aired; not to mention that the very first episode ever, starting in New York City, aired six days before 9/11.

But it is a weird set of coincidences, nonetheless.
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »
But LA hasn't been hit by a disaster yet!

Oh.

DavidJunior

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »
i think this season's getaway prizes are what's cursed...

the Vancouver skeleton run on leg 1, airing right after that horrible accident.

the trip to Chile and Patagonia on leg 3, airing right after the major earthquake in that region.

what next?  all the vehicles teams win turn out to be lemons?  :groan:

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
:lol:, take it easy dude
i think this season's getaway prizes are what's cursed...

the Vancouver skeleton run on leg 1, airing right after that horrible accident.

the trip to Chile and Patagonia on leg 3, airing right after the major earthquake in that region.

what next?  all the vehicles teams win turn out to be lemons?  :groan:
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
nother race course twain has stike with nother earthquake but no body has been kill

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
Oh dear.....

COX'S BAZAR, Bangladesh — Rescuers recovered four more bodies buried in mud Wednesday, raising the death toll from powerful landslides in southeastern Bangladesh to 53.

Triggered by heavy rains, the powerful mudslides struck a coastal area Tuesday, burying thatched homes and cutting off thousands in the southern coastal district of Cox's Bazar and the nearby district of Bandarban.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5if_unlv_vfRScImFAR_LrbN_84hwD9GC9RA00

DHAKA, Bangladesh — An electrical explosion plunged a neighborhood of Bangladesh's capital in darkness and ignited a shop of flammable chemicals, creating a massive inferno that killed at least 117 -- including 15 members of a wedding party -- and injured more than 100 others.

The country's worst fire in recent memory began Thursday night in the narrow alleys of the old section of Dhaka, crammed with new additions to decades-old buildings, when an electrical transformer exploded soon after a rainstorm swept the city, police officer Abul Kalam said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100604/bangladesh-fire-100604/20100604?hub=TopStoriesV2
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:40:26 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Vega

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 08:12:58 AM »
It seems more like a world curse. Has anyone noticed that there have been a lot of natural disasters recently? With earthquakes in Haiti and Chile and the volcano in Iceland among other disasters, there seems to be a ton of them. Add to that a man-mad caused natural disaster with the oil spill in the Gulf and it just gets worse. I guess the next thing will be wild fires in the West, flooding in the Midwest and hurricanes coming in the East.
Vega Sinclair, Travel Medical Insurance Advisor

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
It's just a sign that Mother Earth needs our extreme help. And There's no "TAR Disaster Curse" IMO.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
Bangladesh seems to have more natural disasters that almost anywhere else on Earth.

Floods, tropical cyclones, and monsoons are constant occurrences. If anything, I would hope that TAR's apparent visit would give those people a break from all of their disasters.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
Yeah, but with a Bangladesh population estimated in mid-2008 to be 153,546,896 (look how precise they estimators are!), it has the 7th largest population in the world. Only a few of them could have seen Amazing RAce teams in action.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
Floods are now in Guilin, China. :( :'(

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
North Korea attacked to Yeongpyeong island in South Korea yesterday. South Korea will be visited this season in TAR (and of course it was previously visited in season 4).

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 03:38:35 PM »
North Korea does something every four to six months, so I don't know if that qualifies as a "disaster." Last time, they sunk a South Korea submarine in international waters.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
Did anybody read about this?

SOURCE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11832900

Cambodia holds day of mourning for stampede victims

Cambodia is holding a day of mourning for more than 450 people killed in a festival stampede.

Prime Minister Hun Sen is due to join officials and grieving relatives for a religious ceremony at the footbridge where the tragedy happened.

A preliminary investigation has found that the swaying of the bridge near the capital, Phnom Penh, triggered a panic.

Witnesses said some people were crushed on the bridge, while others fell into the river and drowned.

Crowds of revellers had been crossing the bridge to reach an island where an annual water festival was being held on Monday.

A committee set up to investigate the disaster found that many of the people on the suspension bridge were from the countryside and were unaware that such structures often swayed, local media reported.

Between 7,000 and 8,000 are thought to have been on the bridge at the time.

Cremations
"Some started screaming that the bridge was collapsing, that people were getting electric shocks and that the iron cables were snapping, so the people pushed each other and fell down and the stampede happened," said Prum Sokha, heading the panel of inquiry.

The first funerals and cremations took place across the country on Wednesday.

Mr Hun Sen said a memorial would be built "to commemorate the souls of the people who lost their lives in the incident... and to remember the serious tragedy for the nation and the Cambodian people".

But many relatives say they want answers.

"I feel very sad and angry about what happened," said Phea Channara at a funeral service for his 24-year-old sister near Phnom Penh.

"I wonder if the police really did their job. Why did they allow it to happen?"

Mr Hun Sen has described the stampede as the country's biggest tragedy since the Khmer Rouge era in the 1970s, which left an estimated 1.7 million people dead.

:'( Prayers goes out to all the family of the victims and may all those who pass away in this accident R.I.P. :'(

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »
With them starting so many races in Los Angeles, the big one is bound to hit soon.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Why do we connect all of the natural occurrences in a country previously visited by TAR? I don't get it. That's bad charm, I think.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2010, 03:12:55 AM »
Not actually Uycocoa, i think this is more of a thread to post all the disasters that occurred in a country that TAR has visited.

TAR visited too many countries to name.. and definitely has got nothing to do or whatsoever related to a disaster happening to the country. :tup:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
Not actually Uycocoa, i think this is more of a thread to post all the disasters that occurred in a country that TAR has visited.

TAR visited too many countries to name.. and definitely has got nothing to do or whatsoever related to a disaster happening to the country. :tup:

So why did you post the Cambodian one? As if TAR has anything to do with it, may it be a "curse" or whatever. ???

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 01:50:49 AM »
So Tokyo(TAR 18 Location, spoiler) was hit by a 6.9 magnitude earthquake about 3-4 hours ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/29/AR2010112906715.html

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »

So why did you post the Cambodian one? As if TAR has anything to do with it, may it be a "curse" or whatever. ???

None of these are actual real curses either ??? Can't we just share ???

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 08:11:16 AM »

It's kinda depressing to have a "curse" attached/associated to a show you love. (LOL at me for being so sensitive. :lol:)

Somebody should make a "The World is nearing it's end" thread and there you can share all you want. :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

It's kinda depressing to have a "curse" attached/associated to a show you love. (LOL at me for being so sensitive. :lol:)

Somebody should make a "The World is nearing it's end" thread and there you can share all you want. :lol:

I think you're just too sensitive. :duno:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
Whatever. But sharing that Cambodian tragedy is not connected with the race, it's waaay to late. :res:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
If you say so. :lol3: