Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 319042 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR Disaster Curse
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
I'll hope this thread can fade into oblivion and never be needed again. But meanwhile, piecing bits together:

SANTIAGO, Chile – A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, killing at least 78 people, collapsing buildings and setting off a tsunami.

The quake hit 200 miles (325 kilometers) southwest of Santiago, at a depth of 22 miles (35 kilometers) at 3:34 a.m. (0634 GMT; 1:34 a.m. EST), the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The epicenter was just 70 miles (115 kilometers) from Concepcion, where more than 200,000 people live along the Bio Bio river, and 60 miles (95 kilometers) from the ski town of Chillan, a gateway to Andean ski resorts that was destroyed in a 1939 earthquake.

In the capital, Santiago airport was shut down and will remain closed for at least the next 24 hours, airport director Eduardo del Canto said. The passenger terminal has suffered major damage, he told Chilean television in a telephone interview. TV images show smashed windows, partially collapsed ceilings and pedestrian walkways destroyed.

In Concepcion, nurses and residents pushed some of the injured through the streets on stretchers. Others walked around in a daze wrapped in blankets, some carrying infants in their arms.

The quake shook buildings as far away as Argentina. A series of strong aftershocks rocked Chile's coast, from Valdivia in the south to Valparaiso 500 miles to the north. The epicentre was 70 miles from Concepcion, Chile's second largest city, with a population of about 670,000.

He said a 1.3-metre tsunami wave was observed at Valparaiso about 20 minutes after the earthquake.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
From the Media thread:

Didn't know where to put this....just something of interest...A 8.3 earthquake just struck near Concepcion, Chili.  Concepcion is about about mid-way between Santiago and Puerta Varas and about 40ish miles east from the main highway connecting the two cities

damn!  And I heard that news right now on cnn and bbc.  Hopefully, Phil will make an announcement for the condolences of the Chile earthquake this Sunday on the 3rd episode of TAR 16 just like what he did on Sri Lanka after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami and New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  We'll pray for the safety of the Chileans. :(

and here's the news from bbc online: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8540289.stm

:(  the TAR curse strikes again?

Huge earthquake rocks Chile - story here

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »
And now its listed as a 8.8 scale earthquake, that has generated tsunami waves of 8 feet in a coastal area of Chile near the epicenter....and tsunami warnings have been issued for Samoa and Hawaii. Samoa was struck by a destructive tsunami a few months ago.

This one barely gets into the actual TAR curse (natural disaster that struck an area where TAR was filmed after filming and before airing.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:11:39 AM »
Wow, woke up find the quake was upgraded to 8.8 and a tsunami followed.  The video that is getting through now is amazing, my heart goes to the people of Chili.  A little perspective the Haiti quake was 7.0 and the Sumatran quake that triggered the massive tsunami was 9.1  Southern Chili also suffered a 9.5 quake in 1960.  Due to the location of the quake (off shore),  type of building construction and a more functional government/economy, hopefully and thankfully the damage will not be as widespread and devastating as Haiti.

All joking aside, If I was on a tourism board, I might think twice before allowing TAR or Survivor to film in my country. Sri Lanka, New Orleans, Chili, Vanuatu, Samoa

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
from CBS:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »
i heard that tusmis are going hat island sucj as japan philphens and couple about cry

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
Well, should I go down to the Santa Monica Pier? 

File:2010 Chile earthquake NOAA tsunami projection 2010-02-27.jpg

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
whooooo....   :ascared
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
Once again, my heart goes out to all the survivors and victims.

On another note... TAR visits too many countries.. that's why it seems as though it's a "TAR Disaster Curse".

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »
No such thing as too many countries.   :tup:

This is going to be bad...there are fires in Valparaiso due to gas leaks.

Once again, my heart goes out to all the survivors and victims.

That says it all.  :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »
From NOAA

Estimated times of initial tsunami arrival:

DART 46412                                      1144  PST FEB 27    1944 UTC FEB 27
La Jolla, California                            1202  PST FEB 27    2002 UTC FEB 27
the California-Mexico border                    1204  PST FEB 27    2004 UTC FEB 27
Newport Beach, California                       1212  PST FEB 27    2012 UTC FEB 27
San Pedro, California                           1215  PST FEB 27    2015 UTC FEB 27
Point Concepcion, California                    1217  PST FEB 27    2017 UTC FEB 27
Santa Monica, California                        1225  PST FEB 27    2025 UTC FEB 27
Santa Barbara, California                       1231  PST FEB 27    2031 UTC FEB 27
Point Sur, California                           1232  PST FEB 27    2032 UTC FEB 27
Port San Luis, California                       1235  PST FEB 27    2035 UTC FEB 27
Monterey, California                            1243  PST FEB 27    2043 UTC FEB 27
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »
NOT the time to have lunch on the pier. San Fran okay??
RFF's Golden Rule:

AmazingDT

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
well Chile is in a seismic zone, im sure they were well prepared

its hard to be positive when a huge earthquake occurs
i pray for the familes who lost their loved ones

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
HenryRothenberg: 6.0 earthquake just hit Argentina killing atleast 2

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »

:ascared First a giant earthquake and now ominous tsunami signs in Hawaii.  :rfth:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100227/ap_on_re_us/quake_tsunami

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:13:35 PM by Sailing »

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:11 PM »
There are some tsunami threats at Hawaii, but luckily the house is in the hills. XD
The news says that there aren't any more warnings though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:13:36 PM by Snooky »

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
i scraed winter in north and tansumi all over i do want die good please change are world

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
i heard manlia is going be one them

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
For the record, and as I understand it, the "disaster curse" only when a natural disaster takes places after filming, and before that leg airs. Thus, this is the third time it's happened. (Katrina - TAR 8 - 2005 and The Great Sumatra Tsunami hitting Sri Lanka -TAR 6 - 2004/5. It's only because the teams are departing central Chile at the beginning of this coming Sunday's episode that it fits in. (I wonder if CBS will get Phil to narrate something to use by tomorrow night.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline nathandg0924

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »
Whoa! :ascared
I pray for the victims of the earthquake I know that this is going to be a difficult time for them :(

This is bad, but I think that this is just a coincidence that this happened (The Amazing Race leg being aired and that disaster happens after the filming)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »
For the record, and as I understand it, the "disaster curse" only when a natural disaster takes places after filming, and before that leg airs. Thus, this is the third time it's happened. (Katrina - TAR 8 - 2005 and The Great Sumatra Tsunami hitting Sri Lanka -TAR 6 - 2004/5. It's only because the teams are departing central Chile at the beginning of this coming Sunday's episode that it fits in. (I wonder if CBS will get Phil to narrate something to use by tomorrow night.)

I have never heard anything except when there is a problem after filming....who made up those "rules" ?? :duno:

But really of course there is no curse, but hopefully we can all do something to help our host countries who are suffering.

And Snooky, glad you are safe!! Please keep us posted...I am counting noses this weekend. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »
God bless Chile now, and also Japan
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 01:06:35 AM »
 "The Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan is taping a special opening to Sunday night's edition of "The Amazing Race," in which he'll acknowledge Friday night's massive earthquake in Chile.

more here:
http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2010/02/sundays-amazing-race-to-acknowledge-the-chile-earthquake.html
RFF's Golden Rule: