Watch the Houseguests 24/7 with the Big Brother Live Feeds only on CBS All Access. Sign up now and try 1 week FREE!

Author Topic: Phil in the news ..  (Read 176756 times)

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Phil in the news ..
« Reply #750 on: October 12, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »

Phil Keoghan’s road to adventure

Annelies Gartner October 12, 2015, 11:22 am


Phil Keoghan is the producer and host of The Amazing Race.

It’s amazing what people will go through in the hope of winning $1 million. Contestants have chewed on hairy cows’ lips, been chased down a mountain by giant wheels of cheese and jumped off buildings from frightful heights — one unlucky player even had a watermelon catapulted into her face at short range.

Now in its 27th season, The Amazing Race continues to push people to do extraordinary things at all ends of the earth and New Zealand-born host Phil Keoghan loves to see people out of their comfort zones.

“I get a huge amount of pleasure just seeing them push themselves and do things they’d never imagine they’d ever do,” he says over the phone from the US.

Keoghan says he is a bit of a daredevil himself and can rattle off a list of achievements that most of us would never dream of attempting.

“I have broken a world record (in bungee jumping) and swum across the Bosphorus and dived the world’s longest underwater cave and done all kinds of crazy things,” he says.

“I putted a golf ball across Scotland once, had dinner on top of an erupting volcano in Sicily on the top of an island called Stromboli.”

A near-death experience at age 19 on his first presenting job made Keoghan rethink his priorities in life.

“It was a shipwreck in New Zealand and it was a pivotal point in my life ... I thought that I was going to live for ever until I found myself isolated in a 22,000-tonne shipwreck, 120 feet (36.5m) under water,” he says. “I thought I was going to die and was panicking and thankfully my dive buddy came back to get me and led me out of the shipwreck.

“That really was the impetus for me to write down all the things I would’ve regretted not doing in my life had I not come out of there. That list has become a contract if you like — the motivational list to do all the things that I have done.”

Shooting 12 episodes of The Amazing Race in 21 days doesn’t allow Keoghan a lot of time to partake in the challenges the contestants face but he says he does make time to get to know teams.

At the mat that marks each pit stop, players stop to chat about the leg of the race they’ve just completed. Keoghan says sometimes you only see a few seconds of that footage but it’s his chance to catch up.

“You’ve got 11 teams running at me, at the mat, a lot of stuff has happened that I have been told about but that I haven’t seen. So the audience has seen it but I haven’t, I’ve only just got an update via text saying ‘This happened with this team, that happened with that team’,” he explains. “I do spend a lot of time with them there on the mat ... and then depending on how big the spread is with the teams I’ll be able to sit down and have a meal with them if there’s time before maybe I’m catching another flight.”

The pressure of the race means Keoghan sees teams at their best and worst but he says he and the past competitors are a close-knit group.

“I keep in contact with a lot of the teams,” he says. “It’s random, sometimes I won’t hear from a team for a year and they’ll say ‘Hey I’m coming to LA, we’re all going to get together and watch the show this Friday’.

“Once people become part of the family they’re always part of the family and teams, the alumni, they all really stay closely connected and they keep me connected. They’re pretty good about that.

“There are other teams that I hear from almost on a weekly basis that date back all the way to season one.”

And to become part of The Amazing Race alumni you first have to gain the approval of Keoghan, Lynne Spillman and her casting team.

But it’s the head of CBS who has the final say on who will join the race.

“It sometimes happens that you just pick a team because they’re just great but for the most part you’re also looking at how it all blends together to get the diversity and to get a really telegenic cast we think is going to make for a good dynamic,” Keoghan says.

“There’s no point in having redundancy where we want diversity and so we slowly start to whittle down until we get to a core group and then that group goes over to the network and the head of all of CBS, Les Moonves, he literally weighs in on whether he approves of the cast or not.”

So what does such a thrill- seeker get out of being a presenter who spends a lot of time waiting on mats for people to arrive?

“Quite frankly I’ve spent so many years now doing so many crazy things, I get as much pleasure being a part of The Amazing Race where we’re sharing these adventures with people that have never done crazy things in their lives at all.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29787230/phil-keoghan-s-road-to-adventure/
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #751 on: December 10, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »
'Amazing Race' host Phil Keoghan's top 10 destinations

By Melonyce McAfee, CNN
Updated 1618 GMT (0018 HKT) December 10, 2015

(CNN)Phil Keoghan left his birthplace, New Zealand, at age 3 and has been traveling the world ever since.
Keoghan's parents -- Dad was an agricultural scientist, and Mom was a music teacher -- instilled in him a wanderlust and appreciation for different cultures as his father's career led the family to live internationally in places like the Caribbean islands of Antigua and Barbuda.

"It gave me a curiosity in meeting people, interesting people, and that ultimately has determined how I've traveled, because what I've realized is, it doesn't matter where you go in the world, it doesn't matter where you are but who you're there with," Keoghan said.

To date, Keoghan has traveled to well over 100 countries, both to satisfy his own curiosity and as host of the long-running travel adventure game show "The Amazing Race," which wraps up season 27 on Friday at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

"The Amazing Race" has taken him across the globe, from Monaco to Macau, and keeps him on the road much of the year. His travel reached a peak 47,000 miles in 2004, and he averages a quarter-million miles annually.

Keoghan, 48, said he enjoys roughing it more than a pampered travel experience. "I love being in a place where you see life happening around you.

"My preference is much more of the rustic, off-the-beaten-path travel experience or activity for the teams, just because I love the 'fish out of water' aspect of 'Amazing Race,' " he said.

Keoghan took time before embarking on yet another globetrot to share his 10 favorite destinations around the world with CNN.

More here: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/10/travel/amazing-race-phil-keoghan-top-10-destinations-feat/index.html?eref=rss_latest
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #752 on: December 31, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »
Mark your Calendars!!

Just in time to take away the doldrums of winter, the 12th Annual Washington
DC Travel & Adventure Show, the largest consumer travel expo series in the
country, returns to the Walter E Washington Convention Center February 20 and
21, 2016 affording attendees the opportunity to plan their travel to top
destinations from throughout the world.

For two days, the DC Convention
Center becomes the headquarters of global travel when hundreds of tourism
exhibitors and travel experts representing thousands of travel destinations fill
the hall. No other show brings so many travel ambassadors and experiences under
one roof.

Highlighting this year’s event will be an entire stage
dedicated to the world’s most interesting local, regional and international
culinary experiences. Local favorite, David Guas, host of The Travel Channel’s
American Grilled¸ headlines the Taste of Travel Stage where he will be joined by
unique-to-Washington chefs like The Bikini Chef Susan Irby.

Celebrity
travel experts CBS News travel editor Peter Greenberg and The Amazing
Race’s Phil Keoghan will present on the main Travel Theater
along with
industry experts Wendy Perrin, Trip Advisor travel advocate and former Conde
Nast Traveler consumer news editor. Attendees will be able to participate in
hands-on adventures by scaling the show’s rock climbing wall, sponsored by River
& Trail Outfitters or having a scuba experience an 18,000-gallon heated dive
pool facilitated by the DEMA “Be a Diver” program.

Read more: http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/12/31/12th-annual-washington-dc-travel-adventure-show-feb-20-21-features-celebrities-experts-ch#ixzz3vujAFjee
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #753 on: February 04, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
Super Bowl 50: Ryan Reynolds, Liam Hemsworth Among Hollywood A-Listers Attending Game Day

by Brian Porreca

2/4/2016 9:00am PST

With the Denver Broncos facing off against the Carolina Panthers outside San Francisco on Feb. 7, the Bay Area is going to be packed to the wharf with famous fans — hello Jay Leno and Phil Keoghan — and crowded parties.

This story first appeared in the Feb. 12 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

Super Bowl 50 has cast its headliners — the Denver Broncos will play the Carolina Panthers at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Feb. 7 — and neither is a typical Hollywood-type team. But that won't keep Tinseltown names away from the big game, including Ryan Reynolds, Liam Hemsworth, Jeff Goldblum, Jay Leno and Paramount vice chair Rob Moore. Reynolds will pass out chimichangas to promote Deadpool, Hemsworth and Goldblum will tackle promotional responsibilities on behalf of their upcoming Independence Day: Resurgence, and Leno jets north to San Francisco to get back in the hosting chair as emcee of the annual charity event Big Game Big Give.

As for Moore, one of Hollywood's most committed Super Bowl loyalists, football remains front and center, and he'll be rooting for quar­terback Cam Newton and his Panthers. This year marks Moore's 13th Super Bowl trip since 2002, while The Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan will make his Super Bowl debut. "I've always wanted to go, but I know how hard it is to get tickets, so I've never had the courage to ask. I can't believe that I have a ticket," he says. "Thank you, Leslie Moonves!" With the game airing on CBS, Moonves, the president and CEO of CBS Corp., will attend along with his wife, Julie Chen.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/super-bowl-50-ryan-reynolds-861231
RFF's Golden Rule:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #754 on: March 30, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
Amazing Race host shows off Nelson

TASHA LEOV

Last updated 15:42, March 30 2016

The Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan at Tekapo, he will be in Nelson with film crews next Saturday.

The Amazing Race host and renowned Kiwi Phil Keoghan will soon be in the region as part of a new series to show Nelson off to the world.

Keoghan brings with him a film crew that will fly a drone around for a new series capturing New Zealand from above. He will also be on the finish line of GODzone to chat with Richie McCaw about the race.

Nelson Tasman Tourism international marketing manager Gisela Purcell said having Keoghan come to the region was a coup.

"He's a great Kiwi personality who has huge international recognition and it gives us outstanding exposure."

Footage captured from the drone will go towards a series to be the New Zealand equivalent of an American show, "Aerial America", which airs on the Smithsonian channel.

The show will show uninterrupted, narrated footage of New Zealand.

The drone will be filming the Centre of New Zealand and the Lord Rutherford Memorial in Brightwater. It will also feature two Nelson College rugby teams training at the Botanic Gardens, symbolising the first ever rugby match that was held in New Zealand.

Nelson College director of community relations Mark Vinsen said the school was a rugby pioneer in New Zealand.

"On May 14th 1870, Nelson College played against Nelson Club in the first game of Rugby in New Zealand.  So we have been around a wee while," he said.

Vinsen said he was unsure what to expect but wanted the boys to be able to have some fun.

"It's a very cool opportunity, it will be a great thing. I don't know what to expect. We'll just have the boys have a kick around and have some fun," he said.

Purcell said she was excited because it was a good way to show off what Nelson had to offer.

"It's one way of showing the things you can do. It's really exciting," she said.

Keoghan and his crew will be here for a short stay, arriving on April 9 to film and leaving on April 10.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/78385563/amazing-race-host-shows-off-nelson
RFF's Golden Rule:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #755 on: April 08, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan films show in Christchurch

by ALICE CANNET

Last updated 16:10, April 8 2016

Kiwi Amazing Race television star Phil Keoghan is in Christchurch filming a show about interesting Kiwis.

On Friday, Keoghan interviewed graffiti artist Wongi Wilson, a.k.a Freak, in the central city. Wilson is exhibited at Spectrum.

Lincoln-born Keoghan said he was working on two new projects - one about interesting Kiwis and an aerial show on the country's landscapes.

Read more and see the Video Here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/78717934/Amazing-Races-Phil-Keoghan-films-show-in-Christchurch
RFF's Golden Rule:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #756 on: April 28, 2016, 07:50:07 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #757 on: May 04, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
Phil is about to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Contribution to Film/TV from the Riverside International Film Festival. The festival runs from May 6-15 and as best I can tell, he will receive it at the Awards ceremony on the last day. So, I conclude TAR 29 filming won't start before May 15.

Traveling around the world for 25 sleep-deprived days would satisfy the appetite of most intrepid travelers, but Phil Keoghan host of “The Amazing Race”, decided he wanted to take on the biggest physically and mental challenge of his life … riding his bike coast to coast across America.

In March 2009 Phil left his home in Los Angeles with his wingman Ben, best friend Scott, a former California Highway Patrolman, and his dad as the driver of the support vehicle.   He set out to pedal 3500 miles to New York in just 40 days.

Phil’s journey is not just about the huge physical and mental challenge he faced, but also about the wonderful friendships between Phil and his traveling companions.

Along the way we encounter brave individuals who are coping with the crippling MS disease, and experience the warmth and generosity of Americans who opened their homes and hearts to Phil and his crew.

Since it’s release in 2011 on the Showtime Network, a sell out theatrical tour in 22 markets around the United States and SVOD distribution, The Ride has generated over 1 million dollars with 100% of the proceeds going to the MS Society.

riversidefilm.org/2016/04/26/lifetime-achievement-award-for-outstanding-contribution-to-filmtv/

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #758 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:48 AM »
Oh that is AWESOME!

. We know he is also Hosting the RealScreen awards June 8-9.

http://awards.realscreen.com/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #759 on: May 16, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Phil hopes that he my be able to share a trailer for the long awaited LE RIDE soon! To premiere at the NZ Film Festival. :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #760 on: July 26, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
Charming TalkToMe Interview w/ Phil & daughter Elle Keoghan about the Moments that Matter Most. -

http://on.aol.ca/video/talktome-phil-elle-keoghan-57962ac044c8a361911818b8?context=PC:business:PL5540:1469489448874
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kathclapp

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #761 on: August 01, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »
Thanks to all

Custom Search