Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds

Author Topic: Amazing Race In The News  (Read 14199 times)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Amazing Race In The News
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »
Here's one piece of news I would welcome. Despite the fact I'm against stunt casting and celebrities in the race, I wouldn't mind if this happened. Apparently USA women's hockey captain Angela Ruggiero is pushing to get on the race with US gold medal-winning gymnast Shawn Johnson. It was reported in today's Sports Business Daily. Unfortunately, the story is blocked behind a paywall, but there is this story from my friend, Tom Hoffarth in the Los Angeles Daily News.

Ruggiero's next reality show pursuit: Racing through Antarctica airports
By Tom Hoffarth on February 23, 2010 11:00 AM

She's already been around the world on philanthropic endeavors, including helping the New York Islanders with a program to help China improve its hockey program. And she's been in Donald Trump's boardroom, lasting until the final three on the 2007 season of "The Apprentice."

So a story in today's Sports Business Daily reveals that Simi Valley's Angela Ruggiero has been pitching her agent to get her a spot on the CBS reality show, "Amazing Race," paired up with U.S. Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson, shouldn't be all that surprising.

Both are clients of agent Sheryl Shade, of Shade Global, whose Olympic clients include Paul and Morgan Hamm, Bela Karolyi, Blaine Wilson, Chellsie Memmel plus Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly.

"The two of them, then nag me constantly (about 'Amazing Race,') Shade told SBJ writer Erik Swanson about Ruggiero and Johnson.

The SBJ story points on that Ruggiero has built up "an impressive endorsement portfolio" featuring Nike, Visa, Coca-Cola, Easton and Qwest Communications. Shade said that going forward, Ruggiero has a focus on expanding women's hockey with young girls.

"Olympic sports sponsorships aren't always about the money," Shade said. "It's the opportunities they can offer and where they can take her. ..."

It's not like you're going to confuse Angela Ruggiero with Angela Lansbury.

"She's got the goods, and she's got the substance behind her," Shade says of her client. "And she's very good with the press and the media. This is a sport where sponsors every day want to make sure that whomever they choose to have an association with their brands can actually talk and do the messaging correctly. And I think that's one of the reasons they look at her."

Source - http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2010/02/ruggieros-next.html
Just here to visit.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race In The News
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »
As long as they submit an application and a video like everyone else is supposed to, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They wouldn't been pushing for it as much as it sounds unless they were in fact big fans of the show.
-- theschnauzers

Offline almightyblue

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »
I wouldn't be against at, as well, as long as they were fans of the show.  Mike White was great, and I don't think anyone really had a problem with him being cast because he was such a huge fan.  It's teams like Maria & Tiffany, who were recruited, or Jeff & Jordan, who got on through Executive Meddling, who bug me.

I'd probably be for it in fact, as it's one guaranteed (physically) strong female team.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »
This should all be in speculation...but I will add that I don't think TAR will let an 18 year old on the race. Also doesn't sound from this article as though Shawn will be in any shape for the next season, as she just had knee surgery 2/16.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/22/AR2010022202604.html
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:47:04 AM »
A report from CBS News Sunday Morning about Blake Mycoskie, TAR 2.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lurking somewhere in real life...
    • My LDS Mission Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:04:00 AM »
A report from CBS News Sunday Morning about Blake Mycoskie, TAR 2.

Thanks, that's really interesting! It's cool to see how being on the Race can motivate someone to help those in need around the globe.
Learn how the Book of Mormon can change your life! #discoverthebook

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »
It looks as if a China franchise is getting off the ground.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
Wow Slowhatch!! That is HUGE news!!

Amazing Race China is looking for a number of production roles to be filled immediately.

The show is a team-based, race-structured competition that follows 10 teams through 12 different cities in China as they compete for first place. Along the way they must complete tasks in each city and battle each other to avoid being eliminated.

Production is scheduled to begin in late April/Early May running through mid-June with post-production scheduled to continue until September. Each episode will involve three day shoots in each city with a day break in between.

Y'all can discuss this further over here:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21744.new.html#new
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:48:24 AM by georgiapeach »
"Our fans are pretty good. They don't give away too much. Sometimes people love dropping spoilers, but our fans are good. They tend to do it in such a way that doesn't ruin it for fans who don't want to know."--Phil Keoghan

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »
TAR2's Blake Mycoskie is scheduled to be on E!'s "Chelsea Lately" on Wednesday.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »
April 26, 2010
Trump: 'Amazing Race' doesn't deserve Emmys
 By Randee Dawn

It wouldn't be Emmy season without some old-fashioned trash-talking.

Donald Trump is taking aim at perennial outstanding reality competition series winner "Amazing Race," the only show to take home the prize since its inception in 2003.

“It’s a shame that 'Amazing Race’ keeps winning, because it doesn’t deserve to win it," Trump tells THR. “It wins every year because they know how to politic the Emmys."

Just so happens that 'Race' is in competition with Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice," which the Donald believes -- shocker -- is having one of its best seasons ever.

He says he fully expects not just an Emmy nomination in the reality competition category (which would be the series' third, the first two being for non-celebrity cycles) but a triumphant win on Aug. 29.

Well, if that pesky "Race" would just get out of his way.

Trump believes the predictability in the reality competition category has contributed to the recent decline in Emmy ratings (though last year’s telecast was up by more than 1 million viewers from 2008).

“They’ve lost credibility,” Trump says of voters. “Instead of shows that deserve to win, they pick 'Amazing Race.' It’s a very sad commentary.”

Perhaps Trump is sore over what happened in 2004, the first year that "Apprentice" and "Race" faced off. Ever assured, Trump recalls he was halfway out of his seat when the Emmy presenter began announcing "Race" as the winner.

"I was standing up to go down there and pick up the Emmy,” he says. "Incredible. It’s a joke. If the Emmys want their ratings back, they have to pick shows that deserve it."

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/donald-trump-amazing-race-emmys.html

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:29:53 PM »
For me, Survivor wins the emmy. Apprentice? NOT A CHANCE.  :lol:

Offline #HEEL

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22:58 AM »
Granted Celebrity Apprentice is the best cycle they have had (In my opinion, at least) But really, it cannot hold a candle to Survivor and Race. Even American Idol is more entertaining than Apprentice.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 01:39:32 AM »
I only watched Celebrity Apprentice last night because nothing else was really on except the Hallmark Hall of Fame (not interested) and I wanted to (a) see that Australian chef was still on (he was) and to see if they acknowledged Bret's illness (they did, at the end after the closing credits).

Meanwhile, it appears Jerry, Bert and Elise have a pilot for ABC going with some TAR-like elements: Catch Me article
-- theschnauzers

Offline kadilahopper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
I am not a fan of solicited teams on the race.  It gives the aura of "a set-up".  No matter how you look at it, people will question the legitimacy of a race peppered with "golden ticket" teams.  I loved the globetrotters last season, but I am glad they didn't win.  I wish TAR would just go back to its roots and choose the "average Joe" teams.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »
Sarah Jessica Parker likes TAR, and she likes cowboys...

http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/05/sex-and-the-citys-sarah-jessica-parker-on-amazing-races-perfect-season.html

'Sex and the City's' Sarah Jessica Parker on 'Amazing Race's' 'perfect season'
By Jay Bobbin
May 20, 2010 5:07 PM ET
Although "Sex and the City" star Sarah Jessica Parker doesn't watch "American Idol" nor "Dancing With the Stars," when it comes to televised competitions, she has a clear favorite.

"I follow 'The Amazing Race,'" Parker tells Zap2it. "I think they were back on their game this past season. It was like the first two seasons, as good as it has ever been, with probably the greatest team that ever competed: the cowboys, because of how they conducted themselves in every country they traveled around.

"I just thought it was the perfect season."

And SJP needs to know what makes a good reality show these days.

The Emmy-winning actress' second sequel to her HBO series hits theaters next Thursday (May 27), and while she's doing bountiful promotion for it, she also has a big stake in a reality-competition show she's executive-producing. She's glad the anticipation for the movie also is letting her bring attention to "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist," which Bravo premieres Wednesday, June 9.

"This is not an opportunity for me to be on screen, nor about money," Parker says, though she appears in the first episode to set 14 artists on the path to the top prize of a museum show and  $100,000. "I want people to know how much they can invite art into their home, and how much they're already surrounded by it every single day."

Parker was able to keep tabs on "Work of Art" while filming "Sex and the City 2" quite comfortably. In fact, she reports that "coincidentally, the first day of shooting on both was the same day.

"Because we were shooting the movie in the streets, I got to finish early enough to stop by the set of the show and watch the first day of taping, which was thrilling. We'd been talking about it for two years or more, so it was a long time coming. It was great to start the day as Carrie Bradshaw, then trot down to the Chelsea area and this wonderful studio that Bravo built and see what was happening."
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »
Republicans like TAR better than Democrats??

Thank you Republicans!! :funny:

Among entertainment shows, CBS’ “The Amazing Race” leads for Republicans — while Dems favor “Mad Men,” which pulls in just 2 million viewers each week on AMC.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/the_right_stuff_aUDbAdefmElIE9lEk8TKqN#ixzz14wNhU8d3

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »
I don't know what's the difference between Republicans and Democrats, but thanks Republicans for liking TAR anyway! :hearts: :lol:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • SWF seeking well anything at this point
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
Republicans like TAR better than Democrats??

Thank you Republicans!! :funny:

Among entertainment shows, CBS’ “The Amazing Race” leads for Republicans — while Dems favor “Mad Men,” which pulls in just 2 million viewers each week on AMC.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/the_right_stuff_aUDbAdefmElIE9lEk8TKqN#ixzz14wNhU8d3
Apparently my bleeding heart, tree hugging gay ass should not be watching TAR.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
That whole article cracks me up.

Offline #HEEL

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »

You vote Greens? :lol:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »

Well no one is perfect...........but we like you just the way you are!
Matthew 7:15

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Here's a more detailed view of what georgiapeach posted about.  

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/right-wing-tv-43558

(I think the whole thing is silly, but you get a better understanding of the scoring aspect of it in the list.  I did notice that the list is not 100% correct because "The Good Wife" is listed at 119 for republicans on the democrat side, but it's missing on the republican side of the list.)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:48:57 PM by slayton »

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:43 AM »

Well no one is perfect...........but we like you just the way you are!

Hell, it makes me like you even more!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »
Not TAR...but could have an impact?:

New Delhi, Nov 29 (PTI) Terming reality TV shows as"shameful"and"not in good taste", BJP today sought curbs on such programmes.

"All these so called reality shows in TV programmes are shameful and distorting our culture. These are not in good taste and affecting people. There are cases of suicide and divorces due to these shows,"BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters outside Parliament.

There should be effective curbs on such shows, he said, adding,"I have raised the issue in the House and it will be raised again in the Parliament till government takes some action."

Some instances of objectionable and obscene content shown in programmes and reality shows telecast on TV channels have been brought to the notice of the government from time to time and action has been taken as per the existing provisions of the Programme and Advertisement Code prescribed under Cable TV Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995 and rules framed thereunder.

The Government has set up an electronic media monitoring Centre to keep a check on the content telecast on private television channels, which sends reports of violation of programme and advertising codes to Information and Broadcasting Ministry.

http://www.indiareport.com/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/950295/NCR/1/20/1               

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »
Not TAR...but could have an impact?:

New Delhi, Nov 29 (PTI) Terming reality TV shows as"shameful"and"not in good taste", BJP today sought curbs on such programmes.

"All these so called reality shows in TV programmes are shameful and distorting our culture. These are not in good taste and affecting people. There are cases of suicide and divorces due to these shows,"BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters outside Parliament.

There should be effective curbs on such shows, he said, adding,"I have raised the issue in the House and it will be raised again in the Parliament till government takes some action."

Some instances of objectionable and obscene content shown in programmes and reality shows telecast on TV channels have been brought to the notice of the government from time to time and action has been taken as per the existing provisions of the Programme and Advertisement Code prescribed under Cable TV Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995 and rules framed thereunder.

The Government has set up an electronic media monitoring Centre to keep a check on the content telecast on private television channels, which sends reports of violation of programme and advertising codes to Information and Broadcasting Ministry.

http://www.indiareport.com/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/950295/NCR/1/20/1               

:ascared :'( :groan:
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Offline racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Why... Why can't this moment last forevermore!? ♥
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
Personally I don't know what Donald Trump's problem is.  (:;) I don't know a single person who watches 'The Apprentice'. TAR and Survivor are the two best reality shows, period.
This space is dedicated forevermore to Poland's Next Top Model.

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/amazing-races-best-thrills-and-spills/story-e6frfmyi-1225971343461

The season 17 finale is being shown in Australia tomorrow night. This is only part of the article, you can find the entire piece via the link.

The best, worst and most disgusting moments of The Amazing Race

JUST what would you do for a million dollars?

We’ve seen contestants eat bugs, jump off buildings, get covered in the unthinkable, and all on minimum sleep and without being able to communicate with the locals.

While it’s nice to see the sights of the world, let’s face it, we watch the Amazing Race because we love it when things go wrong - the misread clues, the scheming, the dummy spits, the fights and the stacks.

Here are some of the most memorable and dramatic moments from the show's seventeen seasons.

That's gotta hurt
Never has the phrase “right in the kisser” been more prophetic than when Claire came off second best during a challenge involving a slingshot and a watermelon.

Brook doesn’t really seem like the nurturing type, telling Claire: “You have to finish, they don’t call it the Amazing Race for nothing.”

Guess one million big ones will toughen a girl up, although we reckon she’d have been finding watermelon seeds in her hair for days.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 01:49:14 AM »
Thank you so much ovalorange for sharing that link!  :cmas20 Brought back some memories.  :cmas9

:hearts: Charla & Mirna are all over the video!  :cmas19
TARAS DVD SOON PLEASE!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »
Personally I don't know what Donald Trump's problem is.  (:;) I don't know a single person who watches 'The Apprentice'. TAR and Survivor are the two best reality shows, period.

This is of course a matter of personal taste. I not only watch every episode of The Apprentice, if you check the Apprentice threads (found in Other Reality TV Shows & News) for the past 4 season I have recapped every episode.

As for which reality TV program is the best, I believe the Emmy Awards in 2010 got it right. Top Chef (you can also check my recaps of most season of Top chef and every episode in the Top Chef threads (found in the same place as above) was the best, with the Amazing Race close behind. Those are my personal opinions. Feel free to express your own.

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't Poke the Bear
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »
Well said, apskip. I also don't think TAR15 and TAR16 as a whole were the show's best offerings; it was a bit of a down year for the Race.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »

This is of course a matter of personal taste. I not only watch every episode of The Apprentice, if you check the Apprentice threads (found in Other Reality TV Shows & News) for the past 4 season I have recapped every episode.

As for which reality TV program is the best, I believe the Emmy Awards in 2010 got it right. Top Chef (you can also check my recaps of most season of Top chef and every episode in the Top Chef threads (found in the same place as above) was the best, with the Amazing Race close behind. Those are my personal opinions. Feel free to express your own.

Thank you for the recaps you write, apskip!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
Tonight at 9pm on the Travel Channel Andrew Zimmern takes Bizarre Foods to an uncommonly visited place many of us enjoyed during AR10, Madagascar. Included are scenes around Antananarivo, with a different slant than when Dustin/Kandice pulled out the first victory ever overcoming an Intersected FAST FORWARD and where David/Mary allowed themselves to be sacrificial lams to allow Lyn/Karlyn to stay in the race. I bet many of you did not even know that Andrew Zimmern has a wife, but Rishia makes her first appearance ever on Bizarre Foods on the trip to Madagascar. An article in the local Minneapolis/st. Paul newspaper where they live has reported that she is the one typically making family meals starting from about one year ago. Their son is currently 6 years old if I add 3 years from March 2008 when he was reported to be age 3.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
Former host of CBS.com's The Finish Line, Peggy Bunker, will anchor ABC's World News Now for the next two months.

Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 01:29:07 AM »
Oh good for her! Thanks Ken!

Offline LoveRocked

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yoo Jae Suk Running Man <33333333
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »
http://www.goldderby.com/television/news/1163/can-losing-contestants-win-the-amazing-race-an-eighth-emmy.html

Can losing contestants win 'The Amazing Race' an eighth Emmy?

Last year, the seven-year winning streak of "The Amazing Race" at the Emmy Awards was halted when "Top Chef" won Best Reality Competition Series. That this CBS staple lost was a surprise in itself but that it was not beaten by ratings powerhouse "American Idol" came as the real shocker.  That hugely popular talent show had never won this award but was thought to have its strongest entry ever with the season finale that included a surprisingly touching tribute to departing judge Simon Cowell.
I really wish we could stay longer in the countries we visit, but I've been lucky to have visited most of them before, because I've done a tremendous amount of travel. - Phil Keoghan

The Amazing Race 22-23 is coming soon!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing....I really appreciate it.

We do too.  :boot:

:waves: spammer!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
Blake Mycoskie is scheduled to be on Tavis Smiley on Friday, September 9.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/toms-shoes-founder-blake-mycoskie/

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
TAR in the Media (non-season specific)
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
If there is already such a thread for articles that concern TAR generally and not a specific season, I couldn't find it, but this article affects how CBS plans TAR scheduling for the next decade:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/14/2546419/nfl-renews-television-deals-with.html
NFL renews television deals with CBS, Fox and NBC

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL has renewed its television deals with CBS, Fox and NBC for nine years through the 2022 season, the league announced Wednesday.

The current contracts expire after the 2013 season.

The deals will also expand the number of Thursday night games on NFL Network, but the league has not determined how many additional contests will be aired.

"These agreements underscore the NFL's unique commitment to broadcast television that no other sport has," Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The agreements would not have been possible without our new 10-year labor agreement and the players deserve great credit. Long-term labor peace is allowing the NFL to continue to grow and the biggest beneficiaries are the players and fans."

Earlier this season, the NFL and ESPN reached an eight-year extension to keep "Monday Night Football" on the cable channel through the 2021 season.

CBS, Fox and NBC will each televise three Super Bowls during the term of the contracts, continuing the current rotation.

The nine-year terms are the longest for NFL television agreements with over-the-air broadcast networks. The previous longest were the eight-year deals with CBS, Fox and ABC from 1998-2005.

CBS will continue to show the AFC package on Sunday afternoons as it has since 1998, while Fox still has the NFC package that it first acquired in 1994.

"Sunday Night Football" will remain on NBC, which picked it up in 2006. The network will add the annual Thanksgiving prime-time game starting in 2012.

Flexible scheduling will stay in effect to ensure quality late-season matchups on Sunday late afternoons and nights. It will be expanded in 2014, with the details yet to be worked out.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/14/2546419/nfl-renews-television-deals-with.html#ixzz1gY1ItC9Z

-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
Can you explain how the NFL contracts affect TAR? ???

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »
NFL Doubleheader overruns, Peach. Means CBS will be dealing with those in the autumn through 2022.  :cmas16
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:05 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :lol:

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • RFF's TAR Indonesia Representative
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
We're in for another nomination guys!!   :yess:

Fresh from the oven : http://www.producersguild.org/news/80252/PGA-ANNOUNCES-THEATRICAL-MOTION-PICTURE-AND-LONG-FORM-TELEVISION-NOMINATIONS-FOR-2012-PGA-AWARDS.htm

PGA ANNOUNCES THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURE AND LONG-FORM TELEVISION NOMINATIONS FOR 2012 PGA AWARDS

7 hours ago      (0 Comments)
Share |

LOS ANGELES, CA (January 3, 2012) – The Producers Guild of America (PGA) announced today the motion picture and long-form television nominations for the 23rd Annual Producers Guild Awards. The categories include: The Darryl F. Zanuck Producer of the Year Award in Theatrical Motion Pictures; The Producers Guild of America Producer of the Year Award in Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures; and The David L. Wolper Producer of the Year Award in Long-Form Television. The documentary film category and other television category nominations were already announced by the Guild in December 2011.

All 2012 Producers Guild Award winners will be announced on January 21, 2012 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. This year, the Producers Guild will also award special honors to Leslie Moonves (Milestone Award), Steven Spielberg (David O. Selznick Achievement Award in Theatrical Motion Pictures), Don Mischer (Norman Lear Achievement Award in Television), Stan Lee (Vanguard Award), and IN THE LAND OF BLOOD AND HONEY (The Stanley Kramer Award). The 2012 Producers Guild Awards co-chairs are Paula Wagner and Michael Manheim.

The 2012 Producers Guild nominated films and television programs are listed below in alphabetical order by category, along with producers. The producers’ names listed for each nominated production are listed in alphabetical order and are not necessarily the proper order of credits.

The theatrical motion picture nominees are:

Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures:
- THE ARTIST
- BRIDESMAIDS
- THE DESCENDANTS
- THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
- THE HELP
- HUGO
- THE IDES OF MARCH
- MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
- MONEYBALL
- WAR HORSE

The Producers Guild Award for Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures:
- THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
- CARS 2
- KUNG FU PANDA 2
PUSS IN BOOTS
RANGO

The television nominees are:

The David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Long-Form Television:
"Cinema Verite” (HBO)
"Downton Abbey” (Masterpiece) (PBS)
"The Kennedys” (ReelzChannel)
"Mildred Pierce” (HBO)
"Too Big To Fail” (HBO)

*The Long-Form Television category encompasses both movies of the week and mini-series.

In December 2011, the Producers Guild of America announced the Documentary Theatrical Motion Picture, Television Series and Non-Fiction Television Nominations; the following list includes complete producer credits.

The Producers Guild Award for Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures:

BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST
BILL CUNNINGHAM NEW YORK
PROJECT NIM
SENNA
THE UNION

The Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Comedy:

"30 Rock” (NBC)
"The Big Bang Theory” (CBS)
"Glee" (FOX)
"Modern Family” (ABC)
"Parks and Recreation” (NBC)

The Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Drama:

"Boardwalk Empire” (HBO)
"Dexter” (Showtime)
"Game of Thrones” (HBO)
"The Good Wife” (CBS)
"Mad Men” (AMC)

The Producers Guild Award for Outstanding Producer of Live Entertainment & Talk Television:

"The Colbert Report” (Comedy Central)
"The Ellen DeGeneres Show” (Syndicated)
"Real Time with Bill Maher” (HBO)
"Saturday Night Live” (NBC)
"The 64th Annual Tony Awards” (CBS)

The Producers Guild Award for Outstanding Producer of Competition Television:

"The Amazing Race” (CBS)
Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Elise Doganieri, Jonathan Littman, Bertram van Munster, Mark Vertullo

"American Idol” (FOX)
Producers: Charles Boyd, Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Simon Fuller, Patrick Lynn, Nigel Lythgoe, Megan Michaels, Ken Warwick

"Dancing with the Stars” (ABC)
Producers: Ashley Edens Shaffer, Conrad Green, Joe Sungkur, Rob Wade

"Project Runway” (Lifetime)
Producers: Jane Cha Cutler, Desiree Gruber, Tim Gunn, Heidi Klum, Jonathan Murray, Sara Rea, Colleen Sands

"Top Chef” (Bravo)
Producers: Daniel Cutforth, Casey Kriley, Jane Lipsitz, Dan Murphy, Nan Strait

The Producers Guild Award for Outstanding Producer of Non-Fiction Television:

"30 for 30” (ESPN)
"American Masters” (PBS)
"Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations” (Travel Channel)
"Deadliest Catch” (Discovery Channel)
"Undercover Boss” (CBS)

**Below are new categories for the 2012 Producers Guild Awards; three television categories and one web category. As such, these programs were not vetted for producer eligibility this year but winners in these categories will be announced at the official ceremony on January 21st:

News Programs:

"Anderson Cooper 360” (CNN)
"BBC World News America” (BBC)
"NBC News with Brian Williams” (NBC)
"The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC)
"60 Minutes” (CBS)

Sports Programs: (*There was a tie, which is why there are six nominees.)

"Monday Night Football” (ESPN)
"Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel” (HBO)
"Sports Center” (ESPN)
"30 for 30” (ESPN)
"2010 FIFA World Cup” (ABC / ESPN / ESPN2)
"U.S. Open Tennis Championship” (CBS / ESPN2 / Tennis Channel)

Children’s Programs:

"Dora the Explorer” (Nickelodeon)
"iCarly” (Nickelodeon)
"Phineas and Ferb” (Disney Channel)
"Sesame Street” (PBS)
"SpongeBob Squarepants” (Nickelodeon)

Web Series:

"Ask a Ninja” (blip.tv)
"The Guild” (WatchTheGuild.com)
"Parks and Recreation Presents: ‘April & Andy’s Road Trip’” (NBC.com)
"30 Rock Presents Jack Donaghy, Executive Superhero” (NBC.com)
"Web Therapy” (LStudio.com)

About the Producers Guild of America

The Producers Guild of America is the non-profit trade group that represents, protects and promotes the interests of all members of the producing team in film, television and new media. The PGA has over 4,750 members who work together to protect and improve their careers, the industry and community by providing members with health benefits, employment opportunities, the creation of fair and impartial standards for the awarding of producing credits, as well as other education and advocacy efforts such as promoting sustainable production practices. Visit www.producersguild.org and www.pgagreen.org for more information.
Don't ever put {hashtag} '#amazingrace' if you don't want to be chased by RFF's TAR Detectives 8)

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 02:53:47 AM »
barely check out the above for the news again, I guess we're winning the votes..!! well..oh..well..  :lol:

Official statement :

AmazingRace_CBS The Amazing Race
Congrats to #AmazingRace for winning Best Reality Competition Series in @tvdotcom's Best of 2011! Thanks for voting! bit.ly/uE8C7a
9 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Don't ever put {hashtag} '#amazingrace' if you don't want to be chased by RFF's TAR Detectives 8)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same as the Producer's Guild, but here's a Director's Guild nomination for TAR for Bertram Van Munster and the team - Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Reality Programs for 2011 .  :hearts:

http://www.dga.org/Awards/Annual.aspx#reality

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
Different organization, different award.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 09:54:38 AM »
This is not exactly Amazing Race news, but it is news about Bertram Van Munster and Elise Doganieri.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tnt-great-esape-amazing-race-279208

TNT Orders Reality Series From 'The Amazing Race' Team

Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Bertram Van Munster are among the executive producers of "The Great Escape."

TNT has ordered adventure reality series The Great Escape.

From Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and The Amazing Race's Bertram Van Munster and Elise Doganieri, the series has been picked up for 10 episodes with an eye for a summer launch.

To be hosted by NFL Total Access' Rich Eisen, The Great Escape thrusts ordinary people -- put in teams -- into their own version of a action-adventure film. Contestants will have to try to overcome obstacles, solve puzzles and be the first to get out to win the grand prize.

The series, which is being produced by Fox TV Studios, Imagine Entertainment, The Hochberg Ebersol Co. and Profiles TV Prods., is a big step for TNT as it continues to dip its toe in the reality space.

“The Great Escape is a fast-paced series with all the heart-pounding excitement and nail-biting suspense of a summer popcorn movie,” said the network's executive vp of programming Michael Wright in a statement. “This is exactly the kind of fun, smart, unscripted competition show we've been looking for to complement TNT's entertaining lineup of scripted dramas.”

Executive producers include Grazer, Howard, Van Munster, Doganieri, Francie Calfo, Charlie Ebersol and Justin Hochberg.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »
Congrats to the TAR Producers!!

Producers Guild Award winner for Best Reality Television: The Amazing Race

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
An update to a previously reported story: "Amazing Race" Producer Dead in Africa of Suspected Cocaine OD

Offline snap-on

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 05:18:20 AM »
Assistant found unconscious next to dead Amazing Race producer who'd swallowed cocaine is barred from leaving Uganda

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2105055/Katheryn-Fuller-Assistant-Amazing-Race-TV-producer-dead-hotel-held-Uganda-face-drugs-charges.html#ixzz1nM8FX1PQ

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »
With The Amazing Race at ALIS
We had the honor of presenting the ALIS Innovation Award to Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri, co-creators and executive producers of the CBS hit show The Amazing Race, at the Nokia Theatre at L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles.

http://www.burbahayes.com/with-the-amazing-race-at-alis/

‘The Amazing Race’ to be Honored with ALIS Innovation Award December 12, 2012 The Emmy Award-winning reality television series, ‘The Amazing Race,’ will receive the prestigious ALIS Innovation Award at the Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS), January 22-24, 2013, in Los Angeles.  The award is being presented on the first day of the conference to the popular CBS show for the innovative spotlight it shines on the travel and tourism industry.  Accepting the award on behalf of ‘The Amazing Race’ will be executive producers/co-creators Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri.
“We are pleased and excited to be honoring ‘The Amazing Race’ with the Innovation Award,” said Jim Burba, president of BHN, and chair of ALIS.  “It’s only fitting that the world’s largest annual gathering of the hotel investment community honors this very innovative portrayal of travel and tourism.  Additionally, it is continually exposing its millions of viewers to new and exciting travel destinations around the world.”

http://burba.com/the-amazing-race-to-be-honored-with-alis-innovation-award/

Offline ZouLy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »

@littmanji
Jonathan Littman 26 Jan
The amazing Bert Van Munster with the PGA Award for Amazing Race. Thank you PGA.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
 News: The Amazing Race Renewed!

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 01:20pm

CBS' Emmy Award-winning reality series The Amazing Race will return with a brand-new season for the 2013-2014 broadcast season! Look forward to more amazing travels, detours, road blocks and more coming your way later this year!

Make sure you are caught up on all things The Amazing Race by watching the latest full episodes, secret scenes and more here!

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/news/1000501/
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Welcome to the cloneverse.
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
CBS Tweet ‏@CBSTweet 23min

Congratulations #BigBangTheory and #AmazingRace on Producers Guild Award Nominations!! #PGAAwards
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains--however improbable--must be the truth." --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Cheesefeet

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 11:58:13 AM »
I am going through Amazing Race withdrawals. Here is a little tidbit of information to help with the lull. Season 24 is set to premiere February 23rd at 8/7c

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
An ultimate shout-out for TAR:

According to an Access Hollywood interview with creator Ryan Murphy, Glee is casting two of its characters, Sue Sylvester and Holly Holliday (played by Jane Lynch and Gwyneth Paltrow as a team that tries out on a fictional season of TAR. (Supposedly they'll be seen on Glee's 100th episode; but it could be used to deal with Sue's character for the balance of the show's current season as the story forcus shifts from Lima to New YorK)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/GLEE-Spoiler-Find-Out-Which-Two-Characters-Will-Team-for-The-Amazing-Race-20140213

Original Ryan Murphy interview on Access Hollywood:
http://www.accesshollywood.com/ryan-murphy-on-gwyneth-paltrows-return-to-glee-its-really-fun_video_2017437

-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
An ultimate shout-out for TAR:

According to an Access Hollywood interview with creator Ryan Murphy, Glee is casting two of its characters, Sue Sylvester and Holly Holliday (played by Jane Lynch and Gwyneth Paltrow as a team that tries out on a fictional season of TAR. (Supposedly they'll be seen on Glee's 100th episode; but it could be used to deal with Sue's character for the balance of the show's current season as the story forcus shifts from Lima to New YorK)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/GLEE-Spoiler-Find-Out-Which-Two-Characters-Will-Team-for-The-Amazing-Race-20140213

Original Ryan Murphy interview on Access Hollywood:
http://www.accesshollywood.com/ryan-murphy-on-gwyneth-paltrows-return-to-glee-its-really-fun_video_2017437

This was a true leak from Ryan Murphy, in fact it was seen in the "teaser" of the episode tonight before the credits, including an audition video of Sue and Holly.

Best shout out for TAR on any show in years!
-- theschnauzers

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Welcome to the cloneverse.
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 11:47:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_mKrhwCkH8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_mKrhwCkH8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=es_</a>
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains--however improbable--must be the truth." --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
LOVE this!! :hearts:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samstryker/things-that-happen-on-every-season-of-the-amazing-race

86 Things That Happen On Every Season Of "The Amazing Race"

Eleven teams, several continents, and more taxis than you will take in your lifetime.

March 27, 2014 at 2:32pm EDT
Sam Stryker  BuzzFeed Staff 

1. You’re going to see the credits and hear the theme music 12 times, and each time is going to be AWESOME.

2. If the producers changed the credits from the previous season, you’re going to be thrown for a serious loop.

3. If it’s the fall season, you’re never actually sure when the episode is going to start because of the NFL game airing earlier in the day.

4. Phil Keoghan will introduce the contestants in his AMAZING New Zealand accent.

5. Half the teams will be from L.A./some part of Southern California.

6. There is always a team of doctors. They will do really, really well.

7. There will be an old, married couple as a team. They will shock everyone and do amazingly well.

8. There will be one team who clearly does not have their shit together and YOU KNOW they will be eliminated in the first episode.

9. One team will have some amazing job that will give them a leg up on the competition — they are on the Harlem Globetrotters, ice hockey players, mountain bikers — because life just isn’t fair.

10. One team will have a job you could only dream of, like “YouTubers” or QVC hostesses.

11. Another team will be from a rural location in America. They will either be eliminated in one of the first episodes or exceed everyone’s expectations.

12. Yet another team will be dating, and talk about how they want to get closer and think the race will be a perfect experience to do so. This is complete and utter bullshit and they will fight like gamecocks.

13. There will be at least one team of D-list celebrities, most likely from another reality TV show.

14. There will be an insanely attractive team and they will look good for every challenge, even during the one where they are covered in mud.

15. One of the teams will make incredibly bold and asinine comments in their team intro, like “We’re not here to make friends” and “We’re here to win the million dollars” as if the rest of the teams are looking to sit around and make friendship bracelets together.

16. You’ll wonder why you didn’t apply to be on this season of The Amazing Race because honestly, you could beat at least half the teams without breaking a sweat.

17. The teams will give each other nicknames. Some of these will be cute and creative like “Afghanimals,” some will be incredibly boring like “the Cowboys,” and others will be sexist, like “the Bunnies.”

18. The teams will first convene in a remote and completely arbitrary location that under no circumstances would you ever travel to, like a ghost town, an abandoned oil field, or a high school football stadium.

19. You’ll finally get to see all the matching outfits the teams are wearing. Most of them will be smart and wear some sort of athletic clothing, like Nike or Under Armour.

20. For some reason, at least one team will always wear jeans. Don’t ask why, they just do.

21. At least one team will wear a unique clothing item like bedazzled shorts or a cowboy hat to “stand out” and you really have to just let them do their damn thing.

22. Phil will explain to the contestants how the race works, as if this show hasn’t been on TV for 20+ seasons and we all could recite the rules in our sleep.

23. Phil will do that weird thing where he arches his eyebrow for the first time of many times all season.

24. The race will start, and it will be complete and utter chaos. Some teams will run, some teams will jog, and others will do this weird galloping thing where it looks like they’re walking and running at the same time.

25. There is going to be a first flight and a second flight, and also a healthy dose of drama.

26. Even though the first flight will be across an entire ocean or continent, it’ll seem like no time has elapsed at all, setting a trend for the rest of the season. Yay editing!

27. The teams will be on the FIRST LEG and already there will be talk of alliances forming, despite the fact these will last for at most two episodes before someone stabs someone else in the back.

28. In the confessional one team will talk about how, even though it’s the first episode in, they’ve already developed a foolproof strategy that will carry them all the way to the final three. Three episodes later, they will be eliminated.

29. There will be insane building challenges and you will suddenly have a proper appreciation for your parents for assembling all your toys as a child.

30. It will seem as if half the season is spent in taxicabs, because it probably is.

31. At some point during the season, one contestant is going to suffer an outlandish injury, like a sprained ankle or a watermelon to the face.

32. At least one contestant will cry because a challenge like shaving their head or going down a water slide is “too difficult.”

33. Through the powers of editing, every episode will seem like a down-to-the-wire footrace, even though you know halfway through the episode who is going to be eliminated on this leg of the race.

34. You will develop a sixth sense as to when an episode is a non-elimination leg.

35. There will be a food-related challenge that at first will make you very hungry, but after watching a dozen contestants stuff their face with cake, frogs legs, or whatever, you will question whether you will ever want to eat a meal again.

36. At some point, the teams will have to drive a car with stick shift. This happens every season, yet there is always at least one team who is totally and utterly unprepared to do so.

37. Lots of hugs will be given on the Pit Stop mat. Some hugs will involve Phil.

38. Teams will perform a local dance, and will fail miserably.

39. A lot of screaming will happen in taxicabs.

40. Somehow, one team per leg will end up with the absolute worst taxi driver in the city they are in and end up hopelessly lost.

41. One team will defy all logic and forget to pay their taxi driver.

42. Half the destinations the teams travel to will be places you’ve never heard of.

43. Several of the teams will talk about how other teams underestimate them and to watch out, as if they’re Cinderella on the night of her ball.

44. Somehow, every team will be able to open up the clue envelopes without ripping them. Every. Single. Time.

45. Also, the sound of the envelope being ripped open is magical.

46. A team will walk right past the clue box as if they’re wearing a blindfold; meanwhile, you are screaming at the television because they need to open their damn eyes.

47. Someone will leave behind a backpack or bag, and the thought of wearing the same underwear for three weeks in a row is so cringe-inducing they will go back to retrieve said bag, despite the protests of their teammate.

48. You will roll your eyes at the punny names the producers gave to each episode’s Roadblock and Detour.

49. Someone will have an emotional breakdown over something trivial like making cocktails or building a model robot.

50. Many, many tears will be shed.

51. One team will make an entirely illogical travel decision, like booking a connecting flight with a 15 minute layover, and you will want to scream at them for making such a boneheaded move.

52. You will swallow your words because against all odds, their decision paid off.

53. The over/under on times someone screams “I can’t DO this!!!” during a Roadblock is eight, and the betting man definitely takes the “over.”

54. Phil will ALWAYS wear a button-down shirt, jeans, and a large belt at the Pit Stop mat. If it’s sunny out, he may also wear a hat. This will NEVER change.

55. Some of the challenges will be mind-boggling simple like shooting a bow-and-arrow, while others will be absolutely insane, like finding a clue in one of 400 sand castles. The contestants’ pain is your pleasure, though.

56. At several points during the season, you will question how “authentic” the cultural challenges are.

57. Randomly, one team will be fluent in like, seven different languages.

58. You will want to travel to EVERY country the teams travel to.

59. At least one challenge will seemingly involve a near-death experience (scorpions! sharks!) that seems way crazier than it could possibly be in real life.

60. You will see the Travelocity Roaming Gnome. A lot.

61. There will be product placement, and a lot of it.

62. Contestants will say ridiculous things like “I don’t do yolks,” which out of context are used as episode titles and sound even more insane when you actually hear it come out of their mouths.

63. At least one flight will be delayed at some point, and everyone will collectively lose their shit.

64. Also, someone will miss their connecting flight.

65. Many teams will think about U-Turning another team, then think better of it.

66. At some point during the race, one team will oversleep and barely make it to the starting point on time.

67. Teams will have to take an insanely long bus ride at some point — like, 24 hours — that you would never wish upon your worst enemy.

68. Teammates who are not performing a Roadblock will cheer and/or scream at their teammate who actually is doing the challenge, which nine times out of 10 will only drive said teammate more insane.

69. Some teams actually will U-Turn another team, and look like complete assholes while doing so.

70. Contestants will travel on forms of transportation you never knew existed.

71. One Roadblock or Detour will involve some degree of public nudity, and you as a viewer will be OK with this.

72. You’re ALWAYS going to stay after the commercial break to see the preview of next week’s episode.

73. The preview ALWAYS will contain a clip of one team melting down and another team falling off something (like a bicycle) or breaking something they were supposed to build.

74. An insane vacation will be given away at the end of every episode and you will be salivating at pictures of the hotels contestants will be staying at.

75. If it is a non-elimination leg, Phil will shock a team by telling them they are not eliminated. They will be very, very happy.

76. Two of the final three teams will be insanely competitive. Like, you could have called it from the first episode of the season.

77. One of the teams will be a complete underdog. They’ll spend most of the season finale out of breath and talk about how happy they were just to make it this far.

78. Within the first five minutes of the season finale, you will be able to tell who is going to win the million dollars.

79. And yet again, through the magic of editing, the producers will try and trick you into thinking the whole season will come down to the wire on the last leg.

80. One of the final tasks will involve a memory challenge from all the previous destinations of the season. This ALWAYS happens and yet only one team will have the foresight to write important details down as the season goes along.

81. One team will run to the final Pit Stop, scream a lot, and jump up and down as the other eliminated contestants cheer them on.

82. Phil will tell them they have won the Amazing Race!

83. More importantly, one team wins a million dollars.

84. The second and third teams to arrive to the end of the Race will smile, but their eyes will say it all — they are PISSED to not have won the million dollars.

85. All the contestants will hug, as if the previous few weeks where they wanted to strangle one another never happened.

86. You will sit on your couch as you watch three teams make it all the way around the world, and be insanely jealous for every minute of it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:59:24 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline nosyrabbit

• RFF Full Member
  • Nicole <3
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
The buzzfeed article <3
Got along without you before I met you, Gonna get along without you now.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
This could also be added to the list:

- Some teams always get frustrated with the locals because they don't understand or speak English
- Teams and viewers always underestimate how hard the Race is.
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2014, 08:30:57 AM »
TAR moving to a Friday night

FRIDAY
8 pm The Amazing Race
9 pm Hawaii Five-0
10 pm Blue Bloods

http://tvline.com/2014/05/14/cbs-fall-tv-lineup-2014-the-big-bang-theory-monday/

Offline purefluff

• RFF Not So Newbie
    • Purefluff
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »
Yes, TAR Friday nights at 8:00 pm.  Is this the end?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Let's take the discussion of the new time to here please?

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,30000.new.html#new

Thanks everyone!

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
To be fair, we did beat you to it  :yess:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
That's why I love you keeping me UTD! Just needed it's own thread...this is big news. :thankyou:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2014, 08:14:18 AM »
'Amazing Race' Producers Leave a Lot Up to Fate'

June 18, 2014 | 06:00AM PT 

Andrew Bloomenthal

In 2001, Bertram van Munster stood at a crossroads. His syndicated nature show “Wild Things” had come to an end, and the Dutch-born filmmaker and television producer was on the lookout for a new project to sink his teeth into. His partner Elise Doganieri — then an advertising executive with Ogilvy & Mather — proposed an idea for an unscripted show.

“You get eliminated if you come in last — not because someone does something against you,” explains van Munster, a concept that bucked the trend of hit shows like “Big Brother” and “Survivor,” in which plotting to eliminate fellow contestants was the point. Van Munster and Doganieri joined forces with film producer Jerry Bruckheimer, whose first venture into TV was CBS hit “CSI,” and “CSI” producer Jonathan Littman. Together, the foursome hammered out the finer points of the “The Amazing Race,” which van Munster successfully pitched to CBS president Leslie Moonves soon after.

CBS last month kicked off the show’s 25th season with a sneak peek of the cast. “Race” boasts an average 10 million viewers.

“We hoped ‘The Amazing Race’ would be something exciting and stimulating to make, but we were really going off into the unknown,” says show host Phil Keoghan.
 B.J. Averell, who won Season 9 with teammate Tyler MacNiven, explains: “You’re part of this grand production, kind of like ‘The Truman Show,’ that you don’t know the extent of … and Bertram van Munster is like the Christof (the Ed Harris character), pulling the strings of each day.”
Littman is a firm believer of dispensing information on a need-to-know basis only.

“It is a very slippery slope, once you start telling teams what to do,” he says. “We tell them the rules and ways to conduct themselves to get around the world, so they don’t end up in jail, and we have to remind them: ‘You’re bound by the laws of the countries you’re in, and you are not immune just because you’re on a TV show.’ But outside of that, we try not to interfere, because that’s when you get the best material. They’re wild cards.”

And if this means racers sustain vehicle breakdowns, navigationally challenged cab drivers and canceled flights, such real-life pitfalls are just part of the game — something Season 21 racers Mark “Abba” Abbattista and James LoMenzo know all too well.

The entertainment lawyer/heavy-metal rocker duo were enjoying first place standing when things suddenly went awry for them in Moscow.

After taking a taxi cab to a challenge on the Luzhkov Bridge, the cab driver ignored instructions to wait by the banks of the Moscow River, and drove off with their backpacks — passports and all, ultimately costing them the race.

“We hadn’t paid him yet, and I guess he made a decision that whatever was in those backpacks was more valuable than the money we owed,” Abbattista says. “In reality, he didn’t get anything except laundry.”

“This is where the real world will come and bite you in the ass,” Keoghan says. “Your passport shouldn’t be in a bag. It’s the one thing you need to strap to your body, under your clothes, and it should never leave your side, no matter what. It’s your ticket around the world and it’s your ticket to a million dollars, and it’s essential to finishing ‘The Amazing Race.’”

The producers is constantly implementing changes to keep the production fresh.

For one thing, teams are now kept apart during the mandatory 12-hour rest periods between legs. Not only does this keep players in the dark as to the finishing order of the other teams in the previous leg, but it prevents them from bonding, thereby ensuring they remain cutthroat and competitive.

In a similar vein, sound and cameramen are all routinely rotated to different teams in order to eliminate the appearance of collusion.

“We’re always asking what we could do to shake things up, because our contestants watch the show, and we’ve been on for a very long time,” Littman says. “A lot of them come on thinking they know how it’s going to play, and whenever you throw a wrench into that, it completely throws them off.”

But not all modifications pan out. Season 8, “The Amazing Race: Family Edition,” with 10 families of four competing, fell flat as critics felt that the challenges seemed watered down, and that setting the majority of legs within the continental United States robbed the show of its exotic intrigue.

“We were not greatly enthused about ‘Family Edition,’ ” concedes van Munster, who explains that the larger number of racers competing made it difficult to properly tell each of their stories. “It didn’t quite feel right,” he adds.

The “Family Edition” was widely embraced overseas, he adds. “People outside of America responded to it, because America is a beautiful country. But we won’t do it again.”

So how long can the “Race” go on? According to Chris Castallo, executive VP of alternative programming at CBS Entertainment: indefinitely. “It’s hard to imagine a world without ‘The Amazing Race,’ ” says Castallo. “We have parents who grew up on the show now watching with their kids.”

As the casting director of “The Amazing Race” since its inception, Lynne Spillman has a unique perspective on what it takes to make a great contestant.

There is no formula for casting, she says, “just the best teams and diverse relationships. Meaning, not all married couples or brothers, etc. We try to find something for everyone (in the audience).”

Spillman says they also look for great talkers as well as people who will make great racers, and rise to the challenges. She notes that Season 24’s winners Dave and Connor O’Leary, a father-son team that came back for the all-star edition, exceeded her expectations. “After the way they went out the first time, I didn’t think they would last very long. To go on to win was unbelievable.”

She’s come across partners who met in line at an open casting call and others who came with folks who were married but not to each other.
 And unlike other reality shows, looks aren’t a part of the process. “Humor and knowledge of the show, in other words, being a fan, outweigh beauty by far,” she says.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/awards/amazing-race-producers-leave-a-lot-up-to-fate-1201221435/

Custom Search