Author Topic: TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)  (Read 104061 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
Better to have Jeff and Brent jump, and Jordan and Caite navigate, and thus overcome their fears -- this is the amazing race afterall!

:groan:  that argument went "out the window" at the waterslide in Dubai.   :lol:   We learned you can't get some people to overcome their fears, not even for $1M.   Go directly to Elimination Station, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #251 on: March 07, 2010, 03:48:49 PM »
Better to have Jeff and Brent jump, and Jordan and Caite navigate, and thus overcome their fears -- this is the amazing race afterall!

:groan:  that argument went "out the window" at the waterslide in Dubai.   :lol:   We learned you can't get some people to overcome their fears, not even for $1M.   Go directly to Elimination Station, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Exactly, great divider.  I'm a JJ and BC supporter, so I hope for the best.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »
I am late to the party talking about who says the title, but folks in the Bible Belt rarely refer to it as the "Bible Belt."  I find the choice of words would likely be from a more recent resident to the area.  Just a thought.

Ahh, like the 2 men seated at the bar interacting with the Cowboys?

The Reeperbahn is Hamburg's redlight district.  As one of the teams walks down that street, they utter the title.

The Reeperbahn is the location of some of the clubs in which the Beatles played.

Offline beatlelovr

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
What I meant was someone from another region of the US as a recent transplant to the Bible Belt.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
puddin's suggestion of a Labskaus meal look right on to me. Here is the explanation:

Labskaus is a specialty from Northern Germany and in particular from the cities of Bremen, Lübeck, and Hamburg. The main ingredients are salted meat or corned beef, potatoes, herring, onion and beetroot. The meal is traditionally prepared by boiling the beef in broth and then mincing it with the beetroot, onions, boiled potatoes and herring (some recipes use ham). Finally the base is fried in lard. Countless variations of the dish exist.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #255 on: March 07, 2010, 06:37:51 PM »
I think that was Boingo... but the picture doesn't look like that.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: March 07, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »

And let two girls make their own way in the dark at night in one of Europe's seediest neighborhood? No way Jose!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: March 07, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »

And let two girls make their own way in the dark at night in one of Europe's seediest neighborhood? No way Jose!
European red light districts aren't that seedy. I stayed once at a Hostel in Frankfurt's red light district and it was quite safe.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: March 07, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
I put this in the wrong thread. Thanks, boingo for pointing that out. Here is the flight information better late than never.

It's time for a comprehensive overview of how the remaining teams will get from Bariloche to Hamburg. First, a few basics:

1. all flights from San Carlos de Bariloche to Buenos Aires (and they are only a few) go into Jorge Newberry (AEP) airport.
2. Public transportation must be taken to get from AEP to the Pistiani (EZE) international airport. Here is information on the schedules for those buses - Airport Shuttle

Manuel Tienda Leon Bus runs every 30 minutes to the Retiro Bus Station (near Retiro Train Station) and to the Manuel Tienda Leon terminal (Terminal Madero at 1299 Avenida Madero) at the back of the Sheraton Hotel at Plaza San Martin. Buses continue to Ezeiza International Airport. There is a MTL desk in the Arrivals area. Buses leave the airport every 30 minutes 08:30-20:00 then at 21:00 and 21:45

We start with SCB AEP and find that almost everything misconnects with outbound international flights. The only really worthy flight that connects after huge delay is AR2674 2145 2350. Teams would sleep near AEP airport and then get the 0830 bus TO EZE. They would then be able to book one of these these transatlantic flight combinations:

BA246 EZE LHR 1315 0705+1
LH4791 LHR HAM 0915+1 1155+1

G37659 EZE GRU 1420 1700
LH507   GRU FRA 1905 1035+1
LH012   FRA HAM 1215+1 1315+1

LH519 EZE FRA 2150 1500+1
LH018 FRA HAM 1600+1 1700+1

An iffy proposition is this:
BRC AEP AR1683 1220 1425  OR BRC AEP LA4345 1230 1435
then the bus transfer (or maybe a taxi to make it a sure thing),
followed by only the last set of flights above.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
I stayed in the redlight district in a hostel in Amsterdam when I was a young thing...and I think it took me about 3 days to realize it. :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #260 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:57 PM »
I brought that over for you already apskip, thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: March 07, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
Here's the band who was playing Mr Postman for us: The ReBeatles

I don't know if Caite/Jordan actually got on the wrong train. They started off at Jungfernstieg and were headed for Landungsbrucken, but decide they're on the wrong train at Stadthausbrucke, the only station in between the two. Are we missing something?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:05:57 PM by Neobie »

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
Leaderboard as at the 4th episode:

Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »
 :groan:  Alt Hamburger Burgerhaus  ...since 1686  :res:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2010, 12:34:53 AM »
 :lol:  oh sure, easy once you know where they went...  :res:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:43:15 AM by Boingo »

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2010, 02:16:06 AM »

To summarize my specs:
Flight to Frankfurt
Train to Hamburg
Intersection w/ Roadblock
Beer/Food Detour
Pit Stop

No FF.

Flight to Frankfurt
Train to Hamburg
Intersection w/ Roadblock
Soccer/Food Detour
Beer task
Pit Stop (Beatles)

No FF. :tup:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2010, 08:04:08 AM »
I felt compelled to figure out which flights teams actually took to arrive at the designated times of 235pm, 300pm and 340pm into Frankfurt airport. First of all, I cannot understand why World Race Productions forced all flights through Frankfurt. For flights through Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle going nonstop into Hamburg made much more sense. Also, the 1110 Austral Airlines flight out of Bariloche appears to me to be a fiction of somebody's imagination. No such flight appears to exist.

The first arriving flight combination had to be through Sao Paulo:

LA6469 1810 2050 EZE GRU
LH9829 2245 1440 GRU FRA This was reported to arrive at 1426, but stretching that to 1435 is within credibility.

The second one was:
LH511 2150 1500 EZE FRA (with an actual reported arrival of 1506)

The third is problematical, as there is nothing that fits perfectly. The closest is
AF417 1800 1100 EZE CDG
LH4219 1350 1510 CDG FRA (with an actual reported arrival of 1506)

I projected earlier and later flights but none of these, but I was projecting all the way to Hamburg, so that changed the connecting cities and arrival options.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
I think it may have been easier to go through customs at Frankfurt. That, or to delay the team's arrivals such  that the leg would take place at night.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #268 on: March 08, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »

Producers always made sure the places are safe! Plus they got a cameraman and a sound man with them so they're fine!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
I think it may have been easier to go through customs at Frankfurt. That, or to delay the team's arrivals such  that the leg would take place at night.

I doubt that customs would be the reason. There are a myriad of flights arriving into Europe everyday and it would be totally inefficient to route all German flights through Frankfurt (and presumably also Munich, Dusseldorf and Berlin)  before connecting to other German cities.

Caelestor, I think you have nailed it with the "leg would at night" proposition. The bungee would have attracted great attention if visible in daylight. There are many fewer prying eyes that could have spotted this task in action and reported it to the world. I don't think it mattered if the soccer stadium, sauerkraut restaurant, beer pub or club were at night or in daylight, but the bungee would be a big deal.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #270 on: March 08, 2010, 02:44:02 PM »

I doubt that customs would be the reason. There are a myriad of flights arriving into Europe everyday and it would be totally inefficient to route all German flights through Frankfurt (and presumably also Munich, Dusseldorf and Berlin)  before connecting to other German cities.

Caelestor, I think you have nailed it with the "leg would at night" proposition. The bungee would have attracted great attention if visible in daylight. There are many fewer prying eyes that could have spotted this task in action and reported it to the world. I don't think it mattered if the soccer stadium, sauerkraut restaurant, beer pub or club were at night or in daylight, but the bungee would be a big deal.

Especially given the attention at the Singapore Flyer.

Though they have forced teams through Frankfurt before in TAR 9, when they could've easily taken a flight to Munich or Stuttgart (if they were desperate for the product placement).

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2010, 03:12:21 PM »
I think customs are our most likely reason. Routing through a particular city always, if I remember correctly, happens when the city is not the primary air hub of the country, or sometimes part of the country.

Luke, do you know the reason why production forced you through Guangzhou while flying from Bangkok to Guilin? I'm pretty sure it's the same case happening here.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
With all the pre-program publicity and speculation about what early Beatle-related tasks the teams were supposed to perform in Hamburg, we sure got shortchanged last night.  I have a feeling that whatever task was related to the Beatles after they arrived at Beatleplatz and before they arrived at the pit stop in the club the Beatles first perfomed in it was edited out. When each team was reading their clue after downing the boot of bear their reading was abruptly cut off after "proceed to Beatleplatz."  They never mentioned what they were to do after arriving at Beatleplatz and they never mentioned "pit stop".  Too bad all this ended up on the cutting room floor after such anticipation of seeing more of the Beatle-related locations in Hamburg.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
With all the pre-program publicity and speculation about what early Beatle-related tasks the teams were supposed to perform in Hamburg, we sure got shortchanged last night.  I have a feeling that whatever task was related to the Beatles after they arrived at Beatleplatz and before they arrived at the pit stop in the club the Beatles first perfomed in it was edited out. When each team was reading their clue after downing the boot of bear their reading was abruptly cut off after "proceed to Beatleplatz."  They never mentioned what they were to do after arriving at Beatleplatz and they never mentioned "pit stop".  Too bad all this ended up on the cutting room floor after such anticipation of seeing more of the Beatle-related locations in Hamburg.

After seeing the episode, I can see why they didn't play up the Beatles aspect. It probably sounded like a good idea, but no doubt they decided during editing that the other tasks were more entertaining, so the Beatles task (whatever it was) was cut out and left in the cutting room scrap heap. Certainly we have sleuthed out a number of other times when tasks were undertaken and then later left out. This is yet another case. Perhaps it was just the reality of seeing teams wandering past strip clubs over and over that made them decide to remove it rather than deal with complaints by the easily offended.

Plaidmoon

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
The chart for the episode is up. The detective's big boost was winding up on the same flight as the cowboys, but that wasn't explained in the show.