Author Topic: TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)  (Read 104024 times)

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:45:06 AM »
Since CBS have already came up with the 4th episode title, so here it is

EP04: San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina to Hamburg, Germany
EVIDENCE: Argentine article, TV Guide

Air Date: MAR 7

Film Date: DEC 4-5/6

Route:
ROUTE INFO: Fly to Frankfurt, Germany, connect to Hamburg via ICE train
EVIDENCE: CBS promo

ROUTE INFO: Travel by taxi (?) to Fischmarkt
EVIDENCE: CBS promo

INTERSECTION: Tandem upside down bungee jump (Bungee provided by Hackett) at Fischmarkt on Alsterarkaden (near Town Hall)
Performed by: Carol/Brandy-Dan/Jordan; Mike/Louis-Jet/Cord
EVIDENCE: CBS preview

ROUTE INFO/DETOUR?: Beer drinking task (out of a glass boot – Stiefeltrinken) at Haifisch Bar
EVIDENCE: CBS preview, press release

OTHER TASKS: Beatles-centric puzzle, eating task (?)
EVIDENCE: Press releases

Safe From Elimination at End of Episode:
Mike & Louis: Eliminated in 4th place in Shanghai
Steve & Allie: Spotted in Penang, possibly spotted in Singapore
Carol & Brandy: Spotted in Singapore
Dan & Jordan (Spotted in SFO)
Brent & Caite (Spotted in SFO)
Jet & Cord (Spotted in SFO)

Possibly Eliminated:
Jeff & Jordan
Joe & Heidi (spotted with other ES teams at SFO)
TBC?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:30:53 PM by Evan_Weinstein »
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
On my TV provider, it says that they are going to do some "early Beatles tasks".

EDIT: With some mild research it appears they are going to Hamburg. But for tasks... I have no idea.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:18:36 AM by kwando1313 »

AmazingDT

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Bible Belt is an informal term for an area of the United States in which socially conservative evangelical Protestantism is a dominant part of the culture and Christian church attendance across the denominations is extremely high.

Much of the Bible Belt consists of the Southern United States. During the colonial period (1607-1776), the South was a stronghold of the Anglican church. Its transition into a stronghold of non-Anglican Protestantism occurred gradually over the next century, as a series of religious revival movements, many associated with the Baptist denomination, gained great popularity in the region.
(from Wikipedia)

It seems that the only team in the Bible Belt are Brent and Caite

Maybe they'll say the title
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:59:35 PM by AmazingDT »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:27:29 PM »
Oklahoma could be said to be on the edge of the "Bible Belt." Some major Evangelical groups and universities are headquartered in that state, such as the Oral Roberts Ministries and Oral Roberts University (in Tulsa); so there's a chance it might be Jet or Cord who utters that episode title.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
It could also have been said by Jet/Cord (OK), Jody/Shannon (Tex), or Jordan (NC) of Jordeff. Down here in Texas, people say the "buckle" of the Bible Belt is in Abilene, Tx. Home to three major universities of 3 different church denominations.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:39:53 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

AmazingDT

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »
so possible candidates are Caite and Brent, Jet and Cord

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
 :lol:  I'm also thinking, along with the rodeo dudes, the "geographically challenged" team, and BB winner Jordan, the "dark horse" pick would be the Team Momprenours, specifically Shawne, who's bio says she's from Maryland, and has a "special relationship with God".  I recall one of the moms asking for devine intervention during the cable crossing roadblock.   :snicker:  ...technically MD would be on the outskirts of the Bible Belt.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
:lol:  I'm also thinking, along with the rodeo dudes, the "geographically challenged" team, and BB winner Jordan, the "dark horse" pick would be the Team Momprenours, specifically Shawne, who's bio says she's from Maryland, and has a "special relationship with God".  I recall one of the moms asking for devine intervention during the cable crossing roadblock.   :snicker:  ...technically MD would be on the outskirts of the Bible Belt.
you're right, the moms seem to reference Jesus and God significantly during the first leg, so it could be them too
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
I know Dr. Rox doesn't like Wikipedia... but here it is

The region thus defined included most of the Southern United States, including most of Texas  and Oklahoma  in the southwest, most of Missouri, parts of southern Illinois and Indiana, and the states south of the Ohio River, and extending in the northeast to include central West Virginia, Virginia south of Northern Virginia, and parts of Maryland. A 1978 study by Charles Heatwole identified the Bible Belt as the region dominated by 24 fundamentalist Protestant denominations, corresponding to essentially the same area mapped by Zielinski.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »
Its not that I dont like Wiki........I just know I live in the Bible Belt........Texas. The largest Baptist univeristy in the world is in Texas.....Baylor University.....about 20,000-30,000 students last I recall. Baylor is in Waco. Waco is about 75 miles from where Jody/Shannon are from.

You couldnt buy a mixed beverage in this state till the mid-1970s.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:30:40 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 08:20:08 PM »
Jody and Shannon will sadly not be here to say the title....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »
I think Shawne and Monique will say it. They seem really religious. The Cowboys live in the Bible Belt though. So  :duno:?

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »
The Beatles lived in Hamburg for some time.  From Wikipedia:

The Beatles' residency in Hamburg, the German city where John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Stuart Sutcliffe and Pete Best regularly performed at a series of four different clubs during the period August 1960 to December 1962, was a chapter in the group's history which honed their performance skills, widened their reputation, and led to their first recording, which brought them to the attention of Brian Epstein.

The Beatles booking agent, Allan Williams, decided to send the group to Hamburg when another group he managed, Derry and The Seniors, proved successful there. Having no permanent drummer at the time, they recruited Best a few days before their departure. They initially lived in squalid conditions, sleeping in an unheated storeroom behind the screen of a cinema, in an area renowned for gangsters and prostitutes. After breaking their contract by playing at another club, Harrison was deported for being under-age, and McCartney and Best were arrested and deported for attempted arson (McCartney and Best had set fire to a condom in the club).

In Hamburg The Beatles first met Astrid Kirchherr, who was instrumental in the adoption of the famous Beatle haircut. During their time in Hamburg bass player Sutcliffe decided to leave the group to continue his studies. In April 1962, less than a year after leaving the group, Sutcliffe died of a brain haemorrhage.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
Since CBS have already came up with the 4th episode title, so here it is

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21253.msg511998.html#msg511998

So our early (January 21) speculation that "early Beatles tasks" referred to Hamburg and not to Liverpool has been confirmed by CBS.  The early CBS blurb about TAR just mention that teams would follow some early Beatles lives was interpreted by some writers to mean England and added "in Liverpool" to the CBS quote.  Lots of Beattle stuff in Hamburg: the clubs they performed in, the new Beattles museum, and the newly designated "Beattles Platz" which would be good for a clue of for the pit stop location.

DavidJunior

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:45:19 AM »
it doesn't necessarily have to be someone from the "Bible Belt" who says it.

Hamburg, although not directly related to, has some decent ties to Luther and the Lutheran Church.

Not to mention some huge churches that dominate the skyline.

So the title could easily be said while heading to the Beatles Platz (in the "red light district") from one of these said churches.

The stark contrast of a pious church and a less than modest street scene could easily get someone to say this quote

Although those Bible Belters are more likely to utter it, I still think it's open season for anyone.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
it doesn't necessarily have to be someone from the "Bible Belt" who says it.
Agreed. Just to be different, I'll put my chips down on Carol/Brandy.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »
ok , def need a new scanner :p

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:46 PM »
Thanks puddin!! :hearts:

Interesting time to feature the Moms...hmmm?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »
Thank you puddin!  :jumpy:

:umn: because they might be the team that doesn't make it to Germany?

DavidJunior

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 01:58:56 AM »
or gets eliminated there...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »

Why would you say that? The average viewers aren't supposed to know who makes it to that point! :lol:

At least it's not Jeff & Jordan, Brent & Caite, or Jet & Cord this time. :yess:

But I wonder why they use a picture from Leg 1. Could it be because Monique & Shawne don't make it to Leg 4 or could it just be a coincidence? :duno:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »
If TV Guide is already out in print, then episode one was probably the only episode that had aired when that issue went to the presses, so they used that for the photo.

(Those magazines have to have a lead time to lock in their editorial content, get the content to the printing plants, and then get into the distribution network -- and with all the winter weather problems this year, that last part can be difficult.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:54:23 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »
^^ Very good point, the schnauzers!

Why would you say that? The average viewers aren't supposed to know who makes it to that point! :lol:

We aren't average viewers, this is a spoiler thread. :res:

And I tend to think things like choosing what team to feature, is done not by chance. 
So featuring the Moms this week could be that they looked pretty :lol:  but much more likely to mean SOMETHING.

As in this is a pivotal week for them, ....or as simple as this is the last chance they COULD be featured.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »

And I tend to think things like choosing what team to feature, is done not by chance. 
So featuring the Moms this week could be that they looked pretty :lol:  but much more likely to mean SOMETHING.

As in this is a pivotal week for them, ....or as simple as this is the last chance they COULD be featured.

I agree Peach. I think that it means something too. I believe that they will make it to Germany and that the picture was used because they were eliminated there or are the last team to arrive with a non-elimination leg. Otherwise, I think Jeff and Jordan's picture would have been used again.

Monique and Shawne have been doing really good this season and like Allie and Steve have not recieved as much airtime. Could the picture mean that a team that was strong in leg 1 and 2 (Monique and Shawne) makes a mistake in Germany so make sure to pay attention? They seemed to be featured a lot in the preview for episode 3 as well.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »

So featuring the Moms this week could be that they looked pretty :lol:  but much more likely to mean SOMETHING.

I know we aren't average viewers, but the magazine isn't geared toward us specifically. It is geared toward anyone who is interested in TAR. The magazine may just be putting up some sort of generic picture of any team reading a clue (in this case it happens to be Monique & Shawne) to represent The Amazing Race, without really caring which team they use. For such a small announcement I'm not sure they'd care which team was shown.

After what theshnauzers said, I'm more inclined to think Monique & Shawne do make it to Germany. But other than that I don't think there is a significance.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 04:06:38 PM by J-Squeeze »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis