Author Topic: TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)  (Read 104674 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR16 - EP4: "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt" (Germany)
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
I am not so sure...this is the restaurant on the boat.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »

The windows behind them make me think they are on a boat.  Maybe a restaurant on the water?

hmmm... are you talking about Das Feuerschiff Restaurant?  :duno:

Das Feuerschiff   :lol:

That restaurant's menu seemed pretty norma from their menu..doesn't look anything like what they are eating..

:lol:  menu? ...menu? ...we don't need no stinkin' menu!!!  according to this link, you can get Labskaus on the "Lightship".   :snicker:

Might not be the restuarant, peach... but rather the bar area below deck.   :duno:  still lookin' for a pix of the bar
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:42:48 PM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2010, 12:53:17 PM »
Well there is this...is the chair a match?? ???
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:01:19 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2010, 01:31:29 PM »
Not exactly sure what we are looking for re the Beatles, but here is a video compilation of the Hamburg locations:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »
 :groan: oh lets confuse things up some more....  the designs on the JJ plates is similar to the design on the china in the Rickmer Rickmers (sailship) restaurant.   :lol:  Too bad nothing else matches... these plates could be common to Hamburg.   :neener:

Offline JGR

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2010, 02:20:28 PM »
Could this possible by it?

Cafe Museumshafen
Ponton Neumühlen, Hamburg, Germany
Tel: +49 40 397383 • Web: Visit this site »

This cafe and restaurant on a discarded Elbe ferry in the harbour-museum at Oevelgonne has both regional cuisine and a view of the river Elbe. The ferry with the cafe is located between the old ships and the steam crane in the harbour-museum. In the summer the roof can be taken off for an even better view. If you don't get seasick you will enjoy dining here, but it can get a bit rough. Aboard, everything from breakfast, fish dishes with herring variations and hearty plain cooking, to coffee, tea and cake in the afternoon, and even beer and other beverages for the late night guests, is available at reasonable prices. On Sundays from 11a-2p there is a sumptuous brunch for EUR 12.50.

Well there is this...is the chair a match?? ???

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
Hi Peach,
Since you are all wonderful Detectives and you like my Smilies...here is one for you all:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
Could this possible by it?

Cafe Museumshafen
Ponton Neumühlen, Hamburg, Germany
Tel: +49 40 397383 • Web: Visit this site »

This cafe and restaurant on a discarded Elbe ferry in the harbour-museum at Oevelgonne has both regional cuisine and a view of the river Elbe. The ferry with the cafe is located between the old ships and the steam crane in the harbour-museum. In the summer the roof can be taken off for an even better view. If you don't get seasick you will enjoy dining here, but it can get a bit rough. Aboard, everything from breakfast, fish dishes with herring variations and hearty plain cooking, to coffee, tea and cake in the afternoon, and even beer and other beverages for the late night guests, is available at reasonable prices. On Sundays from 11a-2p there is a sumptuous brunch for EUR 12.50.

hmmmm... not really seeing any chairs... looks like all bench seating...  if it's not the food challenge location, then it would make a great pitstop... lots of other historic boats on this pier... and we know how TPTB like to put Phil and the greeter at the end of a pier or dock....   :snicker:

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
is that garlic??

The "noodle-like" stuff looks too long to have come from a clove of garlic, even a clove of elephant garlic.

Sauerkraut does not smell very good.
Apparently white asparagus is also a Fischmarkt speciality.  Honestly, looks like sauerkraut and pork to me, although can't imagine why producers wouldn't feature fish, eel, etc.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »
Hi Peach,
Since you are all wonderful Detectives and you like my Smilies...here is one for you all:

Cool smiley! :tup:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »
Not exactly sure what we are looking for re the Beatles, but here is a video compilation of the Hamburg locations
It's available in map form here. I can't link to it directly: click the center image to bring up the menu bar. Then you can choose "there's a place" in Hamburg and click on individual Beatle spots, or click the map link to see groups of them displayed. The trouble is, most Beatle spots are centered around the Reeperbahn station. The metro scavenger hunt might include non-Beatles stuff.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »

The windows behind them make me think they are on a boat.  Maybe a restaurant on the water?

hmmm... are you talking about Das Feuerschiff Restaurant:duno:

Das Feuerschiff   :lol:

That restaurant's menu seemed pretty norma from their menu..doesn't look anything like what they are eating..

Appetizers
Stint in beer batter fried
with lemon and tartar sauce
baguette
€ 9.50

Main courses
Classic fried smelt
Potato salad with bacon
and lettuce in Zitronenrahm
€ 15.50

Stint in Mandelpanade baked
with parsley potatoes
and cucumber salad
€ 16.50

The food does not have to be on the menu.  The location of the eating task is more important.  For that matter,  TPTB could stage the whole eating task on a random boat.  By not having the eating task at restaurant, there are fewer eye-witnesses; fewer people to help spoilers.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
Bringing this over...thanks apskip!!

I think it's time for a comprehensive overview of how the remaining teams will get from Bariloche to Hamburg. First, a few basics:

1. all flights from San Carlos de Bariloche to Buenos Aires (and they are only a few) go into Jorge Newberry (AEP) airport.
2. Public transportation must be taken to get from AEP to the Pistiani (EZE) international airport. Here is information on the schedules for those buses - Airport Shuttle

Manuel Tienda Leon Bus runs every 30 minutes to the Retiro Bus Station (near Retiro Train Station) and to the Manuel Tienda Leon terminal (Terminal Madero at 1299 Avenida Madero) at the back of the Sheraton Hotel at Plaza San Martin. Buses continue to Ezeiza International Airport. There is a MTL desk in the Arrivals area. Buses leave the airport every 30 minutes 08:30-20:00 then at 21:00 and 21:45

We start with SCB AEP and find that almost everything misconnects with outbound international flights. The only really worthy flight that connects after huge delay is AR2674 2145 2350. Teams would sleep near AEP airport and then get the 0830 bus TO EZE. They would then be able to book one of these these transatlantic flight combinations:

BA246 EZE LHR 1315 0705+1
LH4791 LHR HAM 0915+1 1155+1

G37659 EZE GRU 1420 1700
LH507   GRU FRA 1905 1035+1
LH012   FRA HAM 1215+1 1315+1

LH519 EZE FRA 2150 1500+1
LH018 FRA HAM 1600+1 1700+1

An iffy proposition is this:
BRC AEP AR1683 1220 1425  OR BRC AEP LA4345 1230 1435
then the bus transfer (or maybe a taxi to make it a sure thing),
followed by only the last set of flights above.[/size]
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
Thanks Apskip for the airport transfer information! Boingo discovered caps for the Frankfurt Airport train station though, so I'm pretty sure teams are mandated to enter the country via Frankfurt to ease customs clearing. This has usually been the case when the destination doesn't host the largest airport in the country/region, for example teams in TAR 14 were mandated to fly into Moscow before heading to Krasnoyarsk, and to fly via Guangzhou to get to Guilin.

I have some flights from Buenos Aires to Frankfurt in the Timeline Thread: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21194.msg513305.html#msg513305.

I believe teams are released in Bariloche in the morning of the 4th, not the afternoon/evening of the 3rd, otherwise they should all be bunched up and able to reach Hamburg in the daytime. Most of them arrive at the Intersection in the dark, though.

In particular, for Jet/Cord to arrive in Hamburg by sunset (4.02pm), it looks like they are going to take (and make) this itinerary:
AR 2681 to Buenos Aires AEP, 1110-1313
Transfer to Buenos Aires EZE
JJ 8005 to Sao Paulo, 1520-1900
LH 507 to Frankfurt, 2005-1035
ICE to Hamburg, 1137-1534
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:35:03 PM by Neobie »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »
 :lol:  curious, Neobie.... the only ICE train I see in the DB website in that timeframe is the 12:42 (ICE 578) train.  Either way, if they arrive anytime around 16:00 it should be sufficiently dark (as it was December 4-5).   ;)

looks like there's an ICE train every 2 hours from Frankfurt Flughafen to Hamburg-Altona (8:42, 10:42, 12:42...)  B:)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:56:16 PM by Boingo »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
Hmm, maybe because I'm assuming they arrive on the 5th, and that the Saturday schedule remains the same?

This train goes to Hamburg Hbf, not Altona.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
 :groan:  wow, this schedule really changes day to day... I was looking at the Sunday sched....  but Friday sched has trains every 4 hours.. go figure...

it's only 30 mins. diff between Hamburg Hbf and Hamburg-Altona stations.  :lol:   I guess we really need to know the exact day they arrived to be sure.   :res:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
Ack, moot anyway. I think they changed the timetables 13 Dec.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2010, 03:05:43 AM »
The thing that confuses me about the previews for this episode is why they aren't mentioning the Beatles task (if there is one) more prominently. That would seem to be a much more attractive hook for the audience than bungee jumping and beer drinking.   :duno:

I do think there is a Beatles task. We've seen enough references to it for something to be happening. Also, someone posted a link to a Beatles impersonation band a while back that had a reference to being on The Amazing Race. The band was touring Germany at the time the race was there too.

Plaidmoon

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2010, 03:18:02 AM »
The thing that confuses me about the previews for this episode is why they aren't mentioning the Beatles task (if there is one) more prominently. That would seem to be a much more attractive hook for the audience than bungee jumping and beer drinking.   :duno:

I do think there is a Beatles task. We've seen enough references to it for something to be happening. Also, someone posted a link to a Beatles impersonation band a while back that had a reference to being on The Amazing Race. The band was touring Germany at the time the race was there too.

Plaidmoon

I keep thinking the Beatles task could have something to do with a Fast Forward?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »

Plaidmoon

I keep thinking the Beatles task could have something to do with a Fast Forward?
I was thinking along those lines also, and as mentioned earlier by others in this thread, both previous Intersections have had a Fast Forward attached to it.

Just a quick question: Is there ANY possibility at all that the Beatles-related task is staged in a different leg? Do they have any significance with the cities we head to in future legs, because other than a Fast Forward, I don't see how this will fit it. :duno:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:32 AM »

Plaidmoon

I was thinking along those lines also, and as mentioned earlier by others in this thread, both previous Intersections have had a Fast Forward attached to it.

Just a quick question: Is there ANY possibility at all that the Beatles-related task is staged in a different leg? Do they have any significance with the cities we head to in future legs, because other than a Fast Forward, I don't see how this will fit it. :duno:

At the CBS Amazing Race web site, the promo for the next episode is the picture of Jeff/Jordan eating and it does not mention the Beatles.  The only mention of the Beatles comes from a TV guide preview that puddin posted on page 1 (#16) of this thread.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2010, 06:26:18 AM »
There was enough media about a Beatles puzzle that I believe it...doesn't mean it wasn't left on the cutting room floor though if other things proved more interesting...we lost a whole leg than way once.  :groan:

Remember that we have seen teams have to do a task in the same country before,  as they leave the pitstop....

In season 10, teams performed the RB of a leg while still  in Morocco (prepare and eat camel meat) before leaving for Spain where we had the detour (infamous tomatoes).

Perhaps we will see something similar here  (just spec...) ?? I can see the Beatles task being better suited to daylight anyway, specially if it involves the museum.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
Can anyone PM me a link to watch season 10 please? I am trying to watch Intersections and my old link is "account suspended"... :groan: Season 13 would be nice too while I am at it :lol:

Thanks so much guys...got it!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:21:29 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
Phil - This is Hamburg, Germany.  Port city in Northern Germany that was home to the Beatles from 1960-1962.  Next door to a Reeperbahn club the Beatles made famous ....