Author Topic: TAR 16: Jet McCoy and Cord McCoy--Brothers/Cowboys  (Read 47013 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 16: Jet McCoy and Cord McCoy--Brothers/Cowboys
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Jet and Cord

Brothers/Cowboys

Cord McCoy
Hometown: Tupelo, Okla.
Connection to your teammate: Brother
Current Occupation: Professional Bull Rider
Pet peeve about your teammate: He likes to voice his opinion
Favorite hobbies: Riding horses
Achievements: Rode world champion bucking bull, “Big Bucks”
Lifelong to do list: Get married, have lots of babies and live happily ever after
If I could switch places with someone: I wouldn't trade with anyone.
Role Model/Hero:  My parents
What are you passionate about: My beliefs
What would you do if you won the million dollars: Buy a big ranch
People would be surprised to learn: I don't have a television or a radio in my house
Favorite place you have ever visited: I love visiting everywhere, but home sweet home is always the BEST
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Choosing one idea and going with it
What did you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks): Spending time with my best friend and brother

Jet McCoy
Hometown:   Ada, Okla.
Connection to your teammate: Brother
Current Occupation: Cowboy
Pet peeve about your teammate: Punctuality or lack thereof
Favorite hobbies: Reading
Achievements: Making it on THE AMAZING RACE
Lifelong to do list: To remain a cowboy
If I could switch places with someone: Nobody, I am happy being me … I haven't worked out all of my own problems so I wouldn't want to start on anyone else's
Role Model/Hero: Cord would be my hero
What are you passionate about? Horsemanship
What would you do if you won the million dollars? Pay off my house
People would be surprised to learn: How much I read. I read every single day
Favorite place you have ever visited: Texas
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Communication
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks?) To broaden my horizons and gain a better appreciation for the world in general

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 16: Jet McCoy and Cord McCoy--Brothers/Cowboys
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
 :hearts: I love them! Go Cowboys!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »
I think they can be as the two brothers in TARLA, getting a bad result due to a mistake... I don't know. I don't see these brothers as Sam & Dan at all... We'll see what do they show.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »
As we've seen in other seasons (Marge and Luke, Dan and Sam), when one of the team members are long-time fans of TAR and know the show's pitfalls well, the team that is otherwise fit physically, emotionally, and mentally, can do really well.

These two brothers are accomplished in their field ahd have worked together as a team for a long time. I found one article online mentioning how they were both champions in rodeo competition together when they were 14/15, and this is 15 years later.

These guys are competitive, don't like to quit, and know each other well.  And they will do well as a result.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:01:07 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
Cord has a web page here:
http://www.cordmccoy.com/
Lots of photos, video, history.

For those who don't know, he had a serious skull fracture in 2004 and had a long arduous recovery.

It is especially nice to welcome them both to TAR, and wish them well on the journey!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
Cord has a web page here:
http://www.cordmccoy.com/
Lots of photos, video, history.

For those who don't know, he had a serious skull fracture in 2004 and had a long arduous recovery.

It is especially nice to welcome them both to TAR, and wish them well on the journey!!

Thanks for posting this . What a great story to overcome this. I like them and hope they do well.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Now that the cast has been revealed, and Cord's site has been mentioned, here's the page at Cord site that has photos of TAR Classic's Kevin and Drew with the McCoy brothers for the Discovery Channel series, Kevin and Drew Unleashed

http://www.cordmccoy.com/cordthemedia.htm

(Scoll down towards the very bottom of the web page.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
This is definitely the alpha male team this season. Nice to see them after they've been missing for the past 4 cycles.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
This is definitely the alpha male team this season. Nice to see them after they've been missing for the past 4 cycles.
Um . . . there were three teams like that last season.

And it's not nice to see them at all.  The race has always been way too easy for them.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »

And it's not nice to see them at all.  The race has always been way too easy for them.

As long as they are fun and entertaining, I don't care if they are alpha. Plus, the "alpha" team going into the season doesn't always do well (such as Preston & Jennifer in TAR 14 - looked like they would go far, but didn't; also Nathan & Jennifer barely missing the F3).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
An amazing race record: Cord is the first racer to nearly die of cardiac arrest before the race. :ascared
thank goodness he survived. :jumpy:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:43:05 AM »

As long as they are fun and entertaining, I don't care if they are alpha. Plus, the "alpha" team going into the season doesn't always do well (such as Preston & Jennifer in TAR 14 - looked like they would go far, but didn't; also Nathan & Jennifer barely missing the F3).

By alpha, I meant dominant. Dan and Sam bickered too much, while Flight Time and Big Easy was brought down by their struggles at the roadblocks. I can't comment on Zev and Justin due to their passport fiasco. Then again, I may eat my words as the season progresses (hopefully not, as it's painful to watch teams collapse  :groan:).

Besides, in recent seasons, mental capacity (logic and willingness to do extreme stunts) has become far more important than strength when it comes to winning.

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
They are so country and I love it...remember me of Cowboy from Big Brother 5...and he was from Oklahoma too haha....

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:33 AM »
http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/83783277.html

Great Video at link

Local cowboys to compete in CBS "The Amazing Race" show
Carter County, OKLA -- A 40,000 mile race around the world, with $1 million at stake - that's the premise of The Amazing Race. Eleven, two-person teams are competing in the reality TV show, including a pair of local ranch-raised cowboys. Shelby Levins reports.

Carter County, OKLA -- A 40,000 mile race around the world, with $1million at stake -that's the premise of CBS's reality TV show The Amazing Race. Eleven, two-person teams are competing for the grand prize this season, including a pair of local ranch-raised cowboys. Shelby Levins reports.

The McCoy brothers were born and bred right here in Texoma. The two have already made a name for themselves on the rodeo circuits. Now they're hoping their cowboy way of life and thirst for competition will help them win this year's Amazing Race.

Ranch life is all Jet and Cord McCoy say they've ever known. For the two brothers, the hats and boots aren't for show, it's their way of life.

"When they look at Jet and I they don't have to ask us what we do, or what our profession is, we're cowboys through and through,” Cord McCoy said.

Jet and Cord grew up on a ranch in Southeastern Oklahoma. Now the two brothers, who are also best friends, make a living doing what they love. Cord is a professional bull rider, and Jet is a champion saddle bronc rider.

"Everything that we do is a competition of some sort,” Jet McCoy said.

The brothers hope that competitive nature will give them a leg up in The Amazing Race. And while the two are clearly in it to win the around the world competition, they're also looking forward to some quality time together.

"Just to compete on Jet's team - our whole lives we've competed against each other,” Cord said with a smile.

Both Cord and Jet say they're shocked to have been picked out of more than 16,000 other pairs to compete in The Amazing Race. And they hope to surprise people, by showing them what being a real cowboy is all about.

"When you see somebody in hats and boots there's always some stereotypes that go along with it, but I think as the race goes on maybe people will have a chance to see there's a lot more to cowboys than just hats and boots,” Jet said.

Regardless of what happens on The Amazing Race, the brothers say they'll always have each other, and they'll always take pride in the cowboy way of life.

The Amazing Race kicks of in exactly one week. The show start at 7:00pm next Sunday, right here on Channel 12.

And of course we wish the McCoy brothers the best of luck!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
Love the trading cards! Especially this one! :lol3:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Eugene Schwindlemyer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
Quick question, if anyone knows.

how did they leap from from nearly last to Third?   Maybe that whole group that cam in 5-8 got lost together?

Anyone know?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Like everyone else at this point, I'm not sure. The insider videos I've seen so far don't seem to explain it.

But I strongly suspect that Cord was especially fast with the roadblock, he seemed to have no problems with it; and I suspect they had little problems getting directions before and after the painting task and getting to the pit stop. Placements two to eight are going to only be about a half-hour apart at the beginning of the next leg as the two teams that arrived after Jeff/Jordan, Brent/Caite and Dan/Jordan, were checked in seventh and eighth.

Jet and Cord show early signs of having "ruthless efficiency" and recovering quickly for little mistakes.
-- theschnauzers

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
I'm thinking their main advantage was finding the painting task quickly.

We saw Monique and Shawne get directions from a local, while other teams were struggling (with wrong houses and missing brushes, etc.).  So I'm guessing Jet and Cord may have gotten similar help.

Monique and Shawne checked in about 10 minutes into Brent and Caite's penalty, so, like Theschnauzers said, teams 2-8 will only be 20-30 minutes apart.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
For now, these guys seem nice enough. Let's hope they don't wear out their welcome though...

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 01:15:46 PM »
This team was fearless last night. Even when they made a mistake they kept going and did not get rattled. I think they might go far with these qualities.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
The cowboys are rocking the race. Love their strategies.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
For three legs now, we've seen that they are fast with the tasks, the most trouble they've had except for not having the right currency at Santiago airport when they arrived, has been going through three or four hands of poker to collect the gnome. Then they promptly caught themselves back up with the two teams that won their poker hands sooner, and headed onto their second consecutive leg win.

They read and follow their clues carefully, they think ahead, they keep looking for their best options -- their game play has been excellent up to this point. Not to mention the sense of humor and patience about the other teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:33:19 PM »
For three legs now, we've seen that they are fast with the tasks, the most trouble they've had except for not having the right currency at Santiago airport when they arrived, has been going through three or four hands of poker to collect the gnome. Then they promptly caught themselves back up with the two teams that won their poker hands sooner, and headed onto their second consecutive leg win.

They read and follow their clues carefully, they think ahead, they keep looking for their best options -- their game play has been excellent up to this point. Not to mention the sense of humor and patience about the other teams.

We'll have to see, but I think they have the potential to beat Eric & Jeremy's placing average. Now that would be something. :jam:

Offline Kevin_Zhu

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »
Love the cowboys!!Go!! :hearts:
TAR16 FAVS Jet & Cord, Steve & Allie, Dan & Jordan