Shanghai, a metro area of over 18 million people, is split in two by the Huangpu River . On the west bank is Puxi, the older city center, while the newer sky-rise development on the east side is called Pudong, the skyscraper-laden financial and commercial district on the east bank of the river with museums and shopping throughout.
Areas within Puxi:
* The Bund - The colonial riverside of old (and reborn) Shanghai. The Bund has dozens of historical buildings lining the Huangpu River, which once housed numerous banks and trading houses from Britain, France, the U.S., Russia, Germany and other countries. A building boom at the end of 19th century and beginning of 20th century led to the Bund becoming a major financial hub of East Asia.
* French Concession Area - Comprises Luwan District and Xuhui District which is generally bound by Shanxi Rd to the east, Jian Guo Rd to the south, Huashan Rd to the west and Chang Le Rd to the north. This leafy district once known as the "Paris of the East", includes the refurbished shikumen houses of Xintiandi and Shanghai Stadium. The blending of architecture styles, bustling street life, and wealth of international Shanghai fusion culture define these districts.
* Jing'an District - Commercial area on Nanjing Road West, most upscale shopping malls in the city. Nanjing Road, one of China's most famous shopping streets, passes Jing'an Temple leading to People's Park Renmín Gōngyuán) and The Bund.
* Old City
* Huangpu excluding the Old City
* Hongkou - Home for famed writer Lu Xun, now including a Memorial Park and a museum, as well as a soccer stadium. Once home to Shanghai's substantial Jewish population in the first half of the 20th century.
* Yangpu - Where the famous Fudan University and Tongji University are located. Also contains the excellent and spacious GongQing forest park.
* Changning - Hongqiao International Airport rests here in addition to the Shanghai Zoo.
Here are some of the many tourist attractions of Shanghai:
Bund (Waitan / Zongshan Lu)
Buddhist Church of Xujianhui (Xujianhui Tianzhutang)
Confucius Temple of Jiading (Jiading Kongmiao)
Former Residence of Lu Xun Guju
Former Residence of Sun-Yat-sen
Fuxing Gongyuan Park
Jade Buddha Temple (Yofu Si)
Hall of the Great Hero
Hall of the Kings of Heaven (Tianwang Dian)
Longhua Park (Longhua Gongyuan)
Meeting Place of the Communist Party of China
Nanjing Lu shopping area
Old Town (Yuyuan)
Oriental Pearl TV Tower
Pagoda for Pearls (Huzhu Ta / Xie Ta)
People's Park (Renmin Gongyuan)
People's Square (Renmin Guangchang)
Shanghai Museum (Bowuguan Shanghai)
* Coin collection
* Furniture display
* Paintings, art collections
* Glass, porcelain, pottery exhibit
* Historical museum
* Minerals, geology attraction, mining
Tomb of Lu Xun (Lu Xun Mu)
Yuyuan Gardens - site of a task for Amazing Race 6, ep. 10
Inner Garden (Neiyuan)
Zhenru Si Buddhist Temple
Bridge of General Wellbeing (Puji Qiao)
Dianshan Hu Lake
Garden of Grand Scenery (Daguan Yuan)
Freedom Bridge (Fansheng Qiao)
Garden of Natural Beauty (Guyi Yuan)
Mao Ta Pagoda
Pagoda of Longevity (Wanshou Ta)
Xingshengjiano si Ta Pagoda (Fang Ta)
Zhujiajiao Dam, bridge, lock, waterway
Here is a tourist map of Shanghai:Shanghai Tourist Map