Author Topic: TAR15 EP12: "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound (Las Vegas)"  (Read 124011 times)

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP12: "Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound (Las Vegas)"
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2009, 02:08:05 AM »
Maybe not, I would hope there is but the way things have been going lately.....

'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2009, 02:14:02 AM »
Something else to think about: VegasSinner's report of teams heading for the MGM Grand. The producers love to add the drama of adding a quick sprint around the city at the end. I would be willing to bet that teams are sent from their final task to the MGM where they get the final clue to race to the finish line at Wayne Newton's estate.

Offline goodyingbadyang

• RFF Full Member
  • I'm hungry
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »
Roadblock might just be that final before-the-dash-to-pitstop task (ala surfboards from last season)

The bungee in the Mirage definitely seems more like a detour. Somehow Brian must be involved with helping Ericka reach those suspended flowers. Maybe they had to figure out a way to propel the team member in the bungee towards the flowers?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2009, 03:59:56 AM »
Teams have to run farther than the average arriving traveler to get their taxis.

They must have arranged a special pick-up spot for a clean getaway from the airport. Or ...  see next post

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:06:53 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2009, 04:06:19 AM »
This shot was taken here.  This is McCarran Airport's Terminal 2.   

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2009, 06:36:25 AM »
Let me comment on what Dan (cdfe88) said. In most opening episodes(all but AR1, Ar12 and AR14) and in one (AR13) closing episode of Amazing Races, there is no ROADBLOCK. Instead, there are several general tasks.

I think no ROADBLOCK in the AR15 ep. 12 is a distinct possbility, but not likely.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:59:23 AM by apskip »

Offline kittygoesmeow

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »
Chateau what do you mean by "further than average"? That doesn't look like too long of a run to me (if the pickup spot is outside terminal 2 as I am thinking the pictures match it up to be).

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »
I was thinking about the pokers being a memory challenge and glad there are people who think alike as well.

Starting line:
1000 license plates involved

Leg 1:
They had to eat 2 wasabi bombs
Tour guide 20 japanese tourists to the pitstop

Leg 2:
Herd 150 ducks for the Roadblock

Leg 3:
Don't remember any numbers involved

Leg 4:
Find stalls 980 and 981 for part of the scarf Detour

Leg 5:
Collect clue on the 120th floor of Burj Dubai

Leg 6:
The Gold Detour require teams to weigh out US$500,000 worth of gold

Leg 7:
62 bells for the Roadblock
Play 3 holes of farmer's golf, within par of 8 strokes each?!?!

Leg 8:
Search through 186 haybales

Leg 9:
Score 5 points for volleyball?!?!

Leg 10:
None?

Leg 11:
Carry 30 glasses of beer for Lager detour

I think this could be a TAR 3 memory challenge, where the animals need not appear for every leg. In this case... the numbers they have to remember need not be from every leg as well.

TAR 3 ROADBLOCK -
Roadblock: Totem pole with animal faces. The person doing the Roadblock needed to spin the faces in the same chronological order they appeared in the race (which was donkey, dolphin, horse, goat and manatee)

Some of the more possible ones..
1000 license plates involved
Tour guide 20 japanese tourists to the pitstop
Herd 150 ducks for the Roadblock
Collect clue on the 120th floor of Burj Dubai
The Gold Detour require teams to weigh out US$500,000 worth of gold
62 bells for the Roadblock
Search through 186 haybales
Carry 30 glasses of beer for Lager detour

This is COMPLETELY SPECULATION. But is it just me or this season has many numbers involved? Hmmm...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:40:09 AM by Joab »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »
Also, in one of the screen captures you see Cheyne counting a whole role of chips.

I refuse to believe that the producers will ask the teams to go all the way to just count and arrange a certain amount of chips before they can move on... :lol:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »
First I will preface this by saying that I have not been in McCarran International Airport in about 25 years.

In this screencap, it appears to me that Cheyne, Brian and Ericka are "behind the glass." Every place I have ever been "behind the glass," I have been herded to Immigration and Customs. Terminal 2 @ McCarran is the international arrivals termainal and the large square building there you have marked the place where they get the taxis is the Immigration/Customs Hall. So do they go through immigration/customs at McCarran????

From the offical McCarran International Airport website, the following airlines use Terminal 2.

AeroMexico
  Air Canada
  Aviacsa
  British Airways
  Condor
  Hawaiian Airlines
  Korean Air
  Mexicana
  Omni Air
  Philippine Airlines
  Sunwing
  Thomas Cook
  Virgin Atlantic
  VivaAerobus

Currently British Airways has a direct flight from Heathrow to LAS, but much later in the day. I tried backtracking through Montreal and Toronto to see if it was possible to fly into Vegas in the narrow time window of Aug 7th, but I couldnt find a way to get to Heathrow from Prague, without having a mid-journey "pitstop" layover. TPTB could have done like they did in TAR5 in Calgary and made arrangements for the teams to have a conference room in an airport somewhere to crash, wait out the layover and stay out of sight the evening of Aug 6th. I got tired of looking at flight schedules.

Anyway, that one screencap just screams Imigration/Customs to me.

BTW, Chateau, great job on the GE captures.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:56:49 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »
Chateau what do you mean by "further than average"? That doesn't look like too long of a run to me (if the pickup spot is outside terminal 2 as I am thinking the pictures match it up to be).

I wrote that because the location is not the place where regular arriving passengers (at terminal 1) would be getting a taxi.  My first impression was that they set up the location so that it would give a more private filming area for the taxi scenes.  But then I zeroed in on the location of the running-by-the glass shot (if you squint you can even see the reflection of the giant Sphinx!).

So do they go through immigration/customs at McCarran?

I'm making a complete guess here:  

The teams de-plane UA 551 at Terminal 2 by a special arrangement with the airport and airlines.  Then the flight continues to its regular gate in Terminal 1, thus making it 28 minutes late.  It's scheduled arrival time was 1:39 pm and its actual arrival time was 2:07 pm.

I made some preliminary shadow estimates of the time and they support this scenario.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:51:30 AM by Chateau d If »

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »
According to Wikipedia these are the flights that arrive at Terminal 2

And It looks like they don't take UA 551

1) From the map below, the building Brian, Erika and Cheyne are seen running is the same shape as the one for Terminal 2.

2) UA 551 arrives in Concourse D which is on the other half of the airport. Any other flights??

Suggested Flight (If it is a 12 hour pitstop):

Easyjet Flight: U2 5498 PRG-LGW
Departed: 9:55pm
Arrived: 10:48pm

Overnight Rest in London

Virgin Atlantic Flight : VS 43 LGW-LAS
Departed: 11:25 am
Arrived: 1:52pm

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:56:02 AM by jerseydude »
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
Gosh it's gonna be soooooooo exciting! But those pictures of Ericka doing the indoor bungee (or whatever that's called) doesn't look too optimistic, what's more with the preview voiceover that "some teams hit the lows". Uh oh.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Ryan83

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2009, 02:13:29 PM »
Gosh it's gonna be soooooooo exciting! But those pictures of Ericka doing the indoor bungee (or whatever that's called) doesn't look too optimistic, what's more with the preview voiceover that "some teams hit the lows". Uh oh.

that sacres me... I have a gut filling the team that hits the lows is M&C. They have won 6 legs and everytime they do there video diary that always sayt hey are the best and on a great high. Reguardless wether you like M&C or not you have to admitt they deserve this win more so then the other two teams. The other two teams just faught and finished just good enough to keep racing. While M&C acctually raced and won 24.7

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »

So the chips task is the final memory type task and we all know that Wayne Newton is Mr Las Vegas  :tup:

IT'S DOWN TO ONE LAST LEG FOR THE FINAL THREE TEAMS AS THEY RACE THROUGH LAS VEGAS FOR A SHOT AT THE ONE MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE, ON THE SEASON FINALE OF "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, DEC. 6 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound! (Las Vegas)" — A million dollars is at the final three teams' fingertips as they count out a maddening amount of poker chips and race to see "Mr. Las Vegas," who holds the final clue to the one million dollar prize, on THE AMAZING RACE season finale, Sunday, Dec. 6 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is the host.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
Suggested Flight (If it is a 12 hour pitstop):

Easyjet Flight: U2 5498 PRG-LGW
Departed: 9:55pm
Arrived: 10:48pm

Overnight Rest in London

Virgin Atlantic Flight : VS 43 LGW-LAS
Departed: 11:25 am
Arrived: 1:52pm

I remember going over this a while back (October 3rd !):

As Neobie has already pointed out there is this faster flight sequence to take starting on August 6th:

OK 702 to Madrid, 2005-2255
IB 6401 to Mexico City, 0120-0605
MX 990 to Las Vegas, 0710-0900

So why would they choose a slower flight?   :duno:

Also, you should know that Peach already called out the 1:52 pm arrival from London back on August 8th!

The only International flight that I can find which is even close is this one:

LGW London VS 43  Virgin Atlantic Airways 2:10 PM (scheduled)   1:52 PM (actual arr time)  T-2  Landed
  On-time  744 

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »

I wouldn't let the preview worry you too much. The producers like to be tricky with the previews for the final leg, so it could be that they are just trying to hide who really wins (well, obviously). :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »
I was thinking about the pokers being a memory challenge and glad there are people who think alike as well.

This is COMPLETELY SPECULATION. But is it just me or this season has many numbers involved? Hmmm...

I actually find that to be highly likely, especially given what it says in the written clue. Great idea!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
It's just a rhetorical question, but how in the world did they send people rappelling down the side of a roughly 20 story building amidst thousands of tourists with video cameras and still cameras and have nobody notice it?  :duno: :duno: :duno: I suppose it's possible that people did see it and didn't connect it to the Amazing Race, but still, I would have thought that the word would have gotten out somehow.

Plaidmoon

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »
It's just a rhetorical question, but how in the world did they send people rappelling down the side of a roughly 20 story building amidst thousands of tourists with video cameras and still cameras and have nobody notice it?  :duno: :duno: :duno: I suppose it's possible that people did see it and didn't connect it to the Amazing Race, but still, I would have thought that the word would have gotten out somehow.

Plaidmoon
Perhaps they just looked like window washers...
 :duno:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2009, 07:08:20 PM »
Do you think Wayne Newton will actually appear on TAR?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2009, 07:12:38 PM »
^^ Vegas Sinner stated so, why would we not believe her? All her other info has been right on :)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »

Plaidmoon

The side of the building that they used was the backside.  It drops down to the expansive flat rooftop of the lower base of the structure where there is nobody standing around or walking around.  It was also all in the shade (thankfully for sweaty hands sake!).  That all worked well to minimize the number of people who saw it.  If they climbed past your hotel room it would be noticed.  But then, as said already, it does not immediately make you think of the Race.  I would even have overlooked it as just somebody doing a stunt.   :(

Offline Ne14fan

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »
I know that this is my first post but, I do have confirmation that Casa de Shenandoah (Wayne Newton's house) is shown in the finale preview.   I showed it to my friend who lives in Vegas and they verified it.  I thought it looked familiar.  I should, I see it every time I go, which is once a year!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2009, 08:43:24 PM »
The fellow at Graceland might be Brendan Paul. I'm curious about the task there; if it's just witness a live wedding (or even a fake wedding), then it's a FiFo task that doesn't allow any team to move ahead.