Author Topic: TAR15 EP8: "This is the Worst Thing I’ve Ever Done in My Life"  (Read 88987 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR15 EP8: "This is the Worst Thing I’ve Ever Done in My Life"
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »
remember that they would have arrived in the Groningen area by about 9am. The obvious flight choice from Amsterdam to Stocklholm is nonstop flight:

KL8223 AMS ARN 0715 0915

Should there not be room on that for all 5 or 6 teams on Sunday morning August 2, here are some additional connecting flights to leave at essentially the same time and get there later:

AF8223 AMS CDG 0715 0840 connecting in Paris to CDG ARN KL2062 0940 1210

LH2689 AMS MUC 0715 0825 connecting in Munich to MUC ARN LH3002 1010 1215

KL1141 AMS OSL 0705 0900 connecting in Oslo to OSL ARN SK490 1200 1300

We have a good bit of info to help with this already, apskip. We KNOW:

Netherlands was a 36 hour Pitstop.

Teams departed August 1, not 2.

We have a spoiler contact on a flight with some of the teams.
Here:
http://sparkibaken.se/hemma-igen/

And here:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,18840.msg438010.html#msg438010

Some teams were seen changing $$ in Arlanda airport at 9:08AM.

We know this flight was taken by some teams:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
I think Netherlands was supposed to be an NEL, but since the poker girls quiet, Stockholm will be the NEL. I wonder what's going to happen to the speedbump in Sweden, and if there's a speedbump in Tallinn.

This is probably obvious, but I'm going to say we see teams taking a train from Groningen Central to Schipol Station.

Is the roadblock at the same place as last time? This is going to be entertaining if there are still 20 clues in 270 bales, considering there were about 9 teams last time doing the task.  :jam:

Offline Red_Head_RacerTAR21

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
Hey all, long time lurker.  I was wondering if there is any confirmation that the Switchback is something similar to a U-Turn (one team has to go back to the Roadblock and have the other person complete it).  Or is the Switchback itself the fact that the haybale task is being revisited? 

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
Hey all, long time lurker.  I was wondering if there is any confirmation that the Switchback is something similar to a U-Turn (one team has to go back to the Roadblock and have the other person complete it).  Or is the Switchback itself the fact that the haybale task is being revisited? 
It was established in the promo for last night which you can see right here.
Just here to visit.

Offline Red_Head_RacerTAR21

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
It was established in the promo for last night which you can see right here.

I realize the haybale task is the Switchback, however what I'm wondering is if the Switchback just the fact that they are going back to the TAR6 task or is it that after the haybale task, teams encounter the Switchback, where one team is sent back to the haybales.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
The switchback is the haybale task. Probably after they do the detour, they say do this roadblock! (which just happens to be an infamous one done a few seasons prior...)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
From what Bertram said before this season began to air, the Switchback is a repeat of the original roadblock at the original location.

Which is exactly what the promo and press releases have described. There has been nothing to suggest that there is any differences from the original haybale roadblock task in TAR 6. I would think that those teams that were familiar with TAR 6 are going to be freaked out enough just knowing this will be the exact same task, and TPTB won't need to amplify it in any form.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »
Have a taste of what's coming up next episode. Gives you chills doesn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ZS6ZPM0Nk

This is classic TAR. Phil introduces the roadblock so dramatically, and the music/editing was perfect for that scene. Poor Lena and Kristy  :'(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 02:53:06 PM by Caelestor »

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2009, 02:53:15 PM »
From what Bertram said before this season began to air, the Switchback is a repeat of the original roadblock at the original location.

Which is exactly what the promo and press releases have described. There has been nothing to suggest that there is any differences from the original haybale roadblock task in TAR 6. I would think that those teams that were familiar with TAR 6 are going to be freaked out enough just knowing this will be the exact same task, and TPTB won't need to amplify it in any form.
Hmm...maybe "Switchback" will just be a tag for route markers consisting of a past task revisited. Maybe this time is a Roadblock-Switchback and probably, next season there will be one Detour-Switchback or the likes...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »
You know, I had forgotten there was a Yield with this RB then.

If they are re-creating the task exactly....then do we also have a YIELD??

Lena was amazing....CBS is missing a classic moment if they don't have them back as the Greeters.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2009, 06:15:53 PM »
Have a taste of what's coming up next episode. Gives you chills doesn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ZS6ZPM0Nk

This is classic TAR. Phil introduces the roadblock so dramatically, and the music/editing was perfect for that scene. Poor Lena and Kristy  :'(

Just about every Roadblock was introduced that way in Season 6. But I agree, the music back then was WAAAY better than it is now. Since season 13, the music they play at the Finish Line when the winning team is told by Phil that they've won has just been the same music as when a team wins a leg. Not monumental like the music played when BJ & Tyler or Uchenna & Joyce won. Bring back that score please!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »

Lena was amazing....CBS is missing a classic moment if they don't have them back as the Greeters.

I doubt there will be a Yield, but there could always be a U-turn. But wouldn't it be on the same signpost as the Yield in Season 6? Yet in the preview I didn't see a Yield or a U-turn on that signpost.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2009, 06:22:21 PM »

I doubt there will be a Yield, but there could always be a U-turn. But wouldn't it be on the same signpost as the Yield in Season 6? Yet in the preview I didn't see a Yield or a U-turn on that signpost.
I think there may be a U-turn this leg, but it may not be there. Also, I think the only point of this switchback is because the TAR crew is getting lazier...and they don't want to do any more searching for new tasks.
:(

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »

I think there may be a U-turn this leg, but it may not be there. Also, I think the only point of this switchback is because the TAR crew is getting lazier...and they don't want to do any more searching for new tasks.
:(

Well I was just referring to that specific location, but yes, of course there could always be a U-turn somewhere else on this leg, but if there were to be a Yield (I don't believe there will be), it would be at the Switchback as part of the nostalgic aspect. But that Yield was unused, so it probably doesn't count as a nostalgic feature of the task.

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
I would guess the explosives task has to do with Alfred Nobel, inventor of TNT.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2009, 10:22:32 PM »
Well, I think a Yield and a NEL are pointless, burt we have seen that before...so?

:duno: It just made me think when I saw the video again.

Wasn't Lena awesome? That still stands as a classic moment of bringing out the best in ordinary people...what makes TAR magical to me.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2009, 12:08:50 AM »
Well, I think a Yield and a NEL are pointless, burt we have seen that before...so?

:duno: It just made me think when I saw the video again.

Wasn't Lena awesome? That still stands as a classic moment of bringing out the best in ordinary people...what makes TAR magical to me.

I had trouble with getting through that leg because I knew that one of Lena/Kristy, Don/MJ & Lori/Bolo were eliminated by the end of it, and I loved all 3. :funny:

In relation to what I quipped and apskip & graytex said, maybe the explosives are part of a War/Peace Detour honoring Alfred Nobel? (dynamite task/Nobel Peace prize task) Just a thought.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »
In relation to what I quipped and apskip & graytex said, maybe the explosives are part of a War/Peace Detour honoring Alfred Nobel? (dynamite task/Nobel Peace prize task) Just a thought.
I agree with this being related to Alfred Nobel. Despite inventing TNT he was very concerned with the implications of his invention - hence the Nobel Peace endowment.
The Swedish army is well know for its peacekeeping abilities - and one of the things they excel at is the removal of land mines - usually by blowing them up. They have a training  facility in Eksjö "Swedish EOD and Demining Centre - (SWEDEC)" - which may be too far away - 4 hrs from Stockholm. see map.

added - nvm about Eksjö - GE took me to the wrong place - the real Eksjö is 15 hours away...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:27:06 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
How about MDR Complete Demining AB‎? I can't seem to find the main site of the company, but I'll keep looking.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »
Here are 2 alternatives, Test Range Linkoping adn Test Range Karlsborg, Both are a long way from Stockholm although for Linkoping it is 109 miles, which could be doable. Other sites are listed at Alvdalen and Visdel in northern Sweden, both of which are too far.

FOI, Linkoping (Swedish Defence Research Agency)
 Address: FOI, Olaus Magnus vag 42, 583 30 Linkoping
Nearest big towns: Linkoping (150 thousand inhabitants)

Point of contact
Name:  Ulf Raaf , Sensor Technology Division
Organization: FOI, Swedish Defence Research Agency
Function:  Senior Research Engineer
Phone / Fax:  +4613378000
Email:  ulf.raaf@foi.se

General information
Indoor test area (m2): 100 
Outdoor test area (m2): 5000

Particular constraints
Working hours: 08:00 to 16:30
Entrance requirements:  Non-Swedish citizens must apply for permission in advance

Logistics
Mechanical workshop: Engineering workshop available, both mechanical and electrical
Explosive allowed: Y/N: No Fragmentation?: No
Services supplied: Electricity
 Fuel
 Water
 Compressed air
Canteen: Lunch restaurant available
Distance (km): Hotel: Many hotels available at less than 5 km
Railway station: 5 km
Airport: 7 km
Remarks: Daily flights to Copenhagen International Airport

List of testing facilities available
Indoor test and measurement facilities with sand soil.
Outdoor test landscape facilities with various magnetic and gravel soils.

Completed, ongoing and planned test & evaluation projects

Ongoing: Mine Detection using radar.
A hand-held mine detection device, Humus, is developed based on radar technique. As opposed to metal detectors, radar equipment can find mines with very little or no metallic content. Choosing the bandwidth of the radar correctly, the risk of metal scrap and fragments causing false alarms can be reduced. In addition to developing detection algorithms, much effort is put into classification of different mines and other objects such as stones, metal fragments etc. using advanced signal processing. This reduces the false alarm rate even further and the information of mine type can be useful when neutralizing it.

Completed: Evaluation of ten handhold metal detectors, commissioned by the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration.

Name: FMV:VoVC Test Range Karlsborg
(Swedish Defence Materiel Administration Verification and Validation Centre Karlsborg)

Mail address: FMV:VoVC Provplats Karlsborg P.O Box 8 S-546 23 Karlsborg

Short description: Military test range for all kind of testing of weapons, ammunition, ballistic protection and vehicles.
The test range performs testing for civilian companies and organisations.

Point of contact
Name:  Roger Larsson
Organization: FMV:VoVC Test Range Karlsborg
Function:  Production manager
Phone / Fax:  +46 (0)505 45 58 28 / +46 (0)505 45 58 82
Email:  roger.larsson@fmv.se
Mail address FMV:VoVC Provplats Karlsborg P.O Box 8 S-546 23 Karlsborg

Name:  Peter Servin
Organization: FMV:VoVC Test Range Karlsborg
Function:  Production manager
Phone / Fax:  +46 (0)505 46 55 31 / +46 (0)505 48 32 20
Email:  peter.servin@fmv.se
Mail address FMV:VoVC Provplats Karlsborg P.O Box 8 S-546 23 Karlsborg

General information
Indoor test area (m2) --- none
Outdoor test area (m2) Approximately 1.000.000 m2 with different types of terrain
Explosive allowed: All types of explosives, all types of mines and ordnance up to 20 Kg of explosives.

Services: Canteen.
Hot meals are served for lunch, reservation before 09:00 am.

Working hours: 07:30 am - 04:00 pm (Monday - Friday)
Entrance requirements: The test range is a restricted area.
Security clearance required.

Logistics

Travel and accommodation Airports: Örebro 100 Km Jönköping 100 Km Göteborg 200Km
Railway station: 50 Km
Hotels: 5 Km

Infra structure: Trucks, dumpers, ammunition storage, administration service, radio- and wirebased communication system, safety surveillance centre, ambulance and local fire brigade
Mechanical workshop: Fully equipped
Ammunition workshop: Fully equipped

Description
FMV (Swedish Defence Material Administration) Verification and validation centre (VoVC) has three test ranges in Sweden.

FMV:VoVC Test Range Vidsel performs missile and aircraft test.

FMV:VoVC Test Range Linköping performs aircraft and airborne system tests.

FMV:VoVC Test Range Karlsborg performs testing of a wide range of ground warfare systems.

Test Range Karlsborg is located at the west shore of lake Vättern in southern Sweden.
The test range is fenced in and is as a designated high security area under close surveillance by armed guard at all time.

Landing of cargo is possible at an air force base 5 Km from the test range.

The test range disposes of a large test area at Älvdalen, 450 Km north of Karlsborg, where test with ordnance with explosive weights over 20 Kg can be performed.
At Älvdalen and the northern test range (FMV:VoVC Test Range Vidsel), test can be performed in winter condition (cold and snow).

Test Range Karlsborg have capabilities for:
- Photo, witch covers single photos to high speed photo (film and video) and X-ray photos.
- Advanced photo and film editing.
- Measuring of pressure, acceleration and noise.
- Environmental testing.
- Data reduction and evaluation.
- Test dummies for measuring of impact on human bodies.
- Permanent fenced in mine field for live mine bodies.

Past, current and planned test and evaluation activities
Several trials with thermite charges have been executed at this facilities. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
ONE TEAM STRUGGLES WITH COOPERATION AT AN EXPLOSIVE DETOUR AND THE RACERS RETURN TO ONE OF THE MOST INFAMOUS ROADBLOCKS IN SERIES' HISTORY, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, NOV. 8 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"This is the Worst Thing I've Ever Done in My Life (Sweden)" — The lack of cooperation hinders one teams efforts at an explosive Detour, and during the series' first ever "Switchback," Teams return to one of the most infamous Roadblocks in the history of the show, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Nov. 8 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is the host.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
So it looks like everyone does the Blast/Detour. We might never know the other option, dang.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »
And notice that the reference to the Speed Bump is not there.
-- theschnauzers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
And notice that the reference to the Speed Bump is not there.
They also fixed the "Sweden" blurb under this past weeks elimination station to "Via The Netherlands".

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
So it looks like everyone does the Blast/Detour. We might never know the other option, dang.

We won't see a speedbump next week, but I think we will hear both options of the detour.