Author Topic: TAR15 EP7:"This is Not My Finest Hour" (The Netherlands)  (Read 94438 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: TAR15 EP7:"This is Not My Finest Hour" (The Netherlands)
« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »

This is Not My Finest Hour either.   :groan:

Sorry about botching the time of day for Brian & Erica at the Bell Tower.   :(

I'll rewatch to see what fooled me. 

Did somebody here predict the counting of the bells?  I thought someone said something about 62 bells.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2009, 11:09:40 PM »
Oh well...just think of all the fun that gave us looking for flights. :funny:

Love you anyway!! :kissy:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #277 on: November 01, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »
yeah you rock Chateau, and some I think were reading too much into what Dutch wrote not that I'm not grateful for all he did for us  :jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #278 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »
Just goes to show, if you weren't there yourself you can't read to much into what people think they witnessed or take it as gospel. Remember season 10 when someone posted a ticket and said he was on flight with the final 3 teams and we all know that wasn't so, Lyn & Karlyn were not on that flight with Rob/Kim and Tyler/James. Thats just one for instance.

DUTCH SAMEDHI SPOILERS:

I've heard sources say that they heard (near the place where it happened) that the contestants came from the airport straight from Dubai.

There is a dancing group in Zoutkamp. This group dances Volksdansen (Dances for the people (bad translation)). They were told very little, but they knew they had to dance on July the 30th. On Tuesday they heard that there would be camera's on Thursday July the 30th.

On July the 29 I walked through our harbor with my dog and saw people drinking coffee who normally wouldn't be there. Since I heard about the camera's I've deducted that they could be the cameramen I've heard people talk about. There were a lot of busses that were rented in Amsterdam, because they had 020- telephone numbers (this makes the schiphol route plausible). This triggered my interest, so I decided to return to the harbor the next morning. When I left my house there was a helicopter flying above the village. .......

I decided to see what would happen and made me a pot of coffee and chose a nice spot to sit and watch what would happen. There was a camera on a pole which filmed everything that happened.

Then I've heard other people say things about the spectacle and I've deducted that they probably took this route on bicycle (the road that seems to go straight to Zoutkamp is a dyke):

When they reached this point they stepped of their bycicle and followed the following route

At the end point they had to do a brainteaser of some kind, because they stayed there for a while.

After this they bicycled to a local camping where they had to dance or do Farmersgolf

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »
And the Vierhuizen kerk was just...a reporter's mistake (or something edited out).  :duno:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2009, 12:23:34 AM »
They probably edited it out? for shame! unless Phil shows it to us at the beginning of the next leg? Maybe they start there?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »
Was there anything helpful in the special thanks section of the credits??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »
Was there anything helpful in the special thanks section of the credits??

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2009, 05:09:45 AM »
**MAY/MAY NOT BE RELATED QUESTION:**

About TAR 15 Leg 7: I just learned that there is a sort of "time-change" there, and Im sure time here will be changed too, since we are "live via satellite". What time does it start there?

Studio 23 schedule 08:00 am The Amazing Race 15 << whats your time changed to?

- Current Time in Singapore 1:31am Monday (SGT)

- My current time 12:31 pm Eastern

TAR here was shown at 9 AM. I see, we are now 13 hours ahead.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2009, 06:48:45 AM »
This is a strange episode for backtracking on the airline flights. The first thing to establish is what the pit stop duration was. That is quite hard to estimate. I am starting with the projected  checkin times from my guesstimation of them early this past week. To that I have to add a fudge factor to each one to get a uniform result. Those fudge factors are:

Cheyne/Meghan (this one from 1213pm, not my own estimate of 1102)        25 hours 0 minutes
Maria/Tiffany from 137pm                                                                                25 hours 32 minutes
Sam/Dan from 139pm                                                                                      25 hours 31 minutes
Brian/Ericka from 144pm                                                                                  25 hours 36 minutes
Gary/Matt from 145pm                                                                                     25 hours 49 minutes
Nate/Herb from 420pm                                                                                    25 hours 48 minutes

So, I conclude that uniform result is a 25 hour pit stop. If it were 24 hours, the fudge factors would be too high, indicating that an hour to an hour 48 minutes has to be added to my original estimates. If it were 26 hours, then the fudge factor for all would negative, which is highly unlikely since my original guesstimes were conservative.

What can I next conclude? I cannot understand how Meghan/Cheyne would miss a connecting flights to Amsterdam that weas well after 113pm (to allow them to get to the airport and book it) and on or before 305pm:

EK121 DXB IST 1500 1755, connecting Istanbul with TK1955 IST AMS 2007 2251

Note that none of the other 5 teams have a chance at this flight. So, how did WRP force all teams onto the same flight for Bunching? I don't know, but I have three hypotheses:

1. That the clue specified the use of KLM airline
2. that the clue specified use of only a nonstop flight, which is equivalent to specifying KLM as they have the only ones
3. unlinkely, but maybe this flight combination was full for July 30, forcing Cheyne/Meghan to get the next best arrival time, KL428 on July 31.

There were several flights before a huge 6 3/4 hour gap in connections to reach Amsterdam (Dubai from 550pm to 1040pm).

There were several flights that connected through Bahrain leaving Dubai at 2pm through 1145pm but they all arrive AMS at 610am, well after KL428.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #285 on: November 02, 2009, 07:57:26 AM »
The Netherlands part of episode 7 started with a drive from Schiphol Airprot north and a little east. The MONUMENT shown was on a causeway. I have determined (not from the obvious looking at a map but through matching the monument on Internet articles) that the causeway is the Afsluitdijk, the road is the A7, and the E2 circle is close to where the Afsluitdijk Monument is. The North sea is on the left and the IJsselmeer is on the right of the causeway.
Here is a map showing where it is with respect to Groningen, which is at the far right:

View this map on Multimap.com
Get directions on Multimap.com

The inside of the monument is rather different than the exterior. Here is a photo of part of it:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #286 on: November 02, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
 :lol:  you can run, but you cannot hide...  :funny:  OK, buildings can't actually run... but you get my drift...  THIS is the dance hall!   (just a little more east of where we all thought it was.  closer to the camping toilets).  I guess Bing is good for something...it has higher resolution maps than Google...  :groan:    this building is massive enough, and it has the little side building hiding in the woods

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #287 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
 :lol:  wow, I'm really starting to like Bing Maps... FWIW, here's a clearer view of the Vierhuizen locations.. the resolution really leaves Google Earth in the dust...  :funny:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #288 on: November 02, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
I like bing Boingo << hee it rhymes  :lol:

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #289 on: November 02, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
I must say, this was one exciting leg, when it came down to Brian and Ericka and Maria and Tiffany at the end. I honestly thought from the beginning that Brian and Ericka would be last on an NEL, but who was to know that Maria and Tiffany would have been eliminated. :(

Sam and Dan - Great work this leg! But I didn't catch the part about them revealing that they're gay, hmm. Perhaps it wasn't the most strategic move for Sam to whisper the answer of the number of bells, but it was nice of him to do so anyway. Too bad the girls were eliminated in the end.

Meghan and Cheyne - Another strong finish despite them struggling at the Detour! I thought that another team would have caught up, but they still did so well.

Flight Time and Big Easy - It was great time redeemed, from last place to third. It was hilarious, them doing the Detour, lol.

Gary and Matt - Nice first place finish at the Roadblock! I'm really liking this team now, father and son are so sweet and are working so well with each other. This race has indeed brought them so close together. =)

Brian and Ericka - WOW at their luck, seriously. I honestly thought that they'd be last! This was definitely not their finest leg, but I was rather moved when Brian showed so much support to Ericka at the Roadblock. He was so patient, telling her not to give up, encouraging her all the way. I just went "awwww" when he welcomed Ericka with a hug at the bottom of the tower. I really love this team, but I hope that Ericka could take a chill pill.

Maria and Tiffany - Anyone with me that this Detour wasn't very fair? And I wonder what on earth was Maria doing at the Dance Detour, couldn't she hit that thing properly? It hurts to see them go out this way. Both Detours were really tough and kinda required physical strength, which was a disadvantage to them. But I'm just so proud of them, how they tried to the very end and never gave up. Please bring them back for All-Stars! This female team ROCKS!

Five teams remain... Here's just a random guess as to how the final outcome of the race will be.

1. Brian and Ericka
2. Meghan and Cheyne
3. Sam and Dan
4. Gary and Matt
5. Flight Time and Big Easy

Just a guess!
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Strawberry Kiwi

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #290 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »
CBS should have an ALL STARS with all girl-girl teams and bring back Maria and Tiffany.  Then the challenges would be fair for them! :tup: :yess: :jam:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
I definitely did not see this ending coming. CBS actually tricked me (intentional or not).

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »
Maria's statement in her blog clarifies the way the ending of last night's episode was edited.

It sounds as if we'll be told officially that they were eliminated as a result of the 24-hour penalty in the next leg, because that's the only way the press release for the next episode can be reconciled with what we saw last night. It also suggests to me that the next leg may be completed before M/T would have left the pit stop, which would explain the odd editing last night where M/R tell Phil they want to quit the task and the Race, and Phil was not actually shown telling them they were eliminated. This becomes only the second time that the 24-hour penalty has been assessed, as far as I know. While I was suspecting the 24 hour penalty might have been involved, the confusion about which leg was a NEL, and how that works with this sort of penalty, was there and I wasn't sure how this was supposed to play out.

This also clarifies the Elimination Station clip. I now take that to mean that M/T did travel to Sweden with production, and that now fits in with M/T acting as decoys in Tallin.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:14:29 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
Great episode, so sad that M/T made it this far, and they did great last night up until the detour, but they didn't give up, and they deserved to go farther! Overall, it was a great episode though!
 :tup:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
The Martinitoren answer cards are below. From left to right: expo hands, Flight Time, Meghan, Sam and Tiffany. Quiz: find the matching cards.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
I want to say Flight Time and Tiffany or first and last

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: November 02, 2009, 09:45:30 PM »
Yep, first and last (expo hands and Tiffany). There are similarities among the other cards as well...maybe some more matches, maybe not.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Maybe the teams had to tell someone what number, and that person wrote the number down for the teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #298 on: November 02, 2009, 11:14:30 PM »
Note that none of the other 5 teams have a chance at this flight. So, how did WRP force all teams onto the same flight for Bunching? I don't know, but I have three hypotheses:

1. That the clue specified the use of KLM airline
2. that the clue specified use of only a nonstop flight, which is equivalent to specifying KLM as they have the only ones
3. unlinkely, but maybe this flight combination was full for July 30, forcing Cheyne/Meghan to get the next best arrival time, KL428 on July 31.

It was in the audio track.  I heard it when Sam & Dan approached to buy tickets.  They said something like "We need the next non-stop flight to Amsterdam."  And KL 428 is it.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
So where does Steffie Sunrise fit into this?   (:;)

Who could she have encountered at the hotel lobby 6 hours before the first team was released?!?    :knuckles:

That has been one the most bizarre bits of spoiler info!  Real but faked?