Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 280096 times)

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Retrace the Steps of The Amazing Race Contest
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
I'm going to Portland later this summer and will go to all the places in the TAR 13 Finale!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »
I'm going to Portland later this summer and will go to all the places in the TAR 13 Finale!
Are you going to try both retreat club Detours? :)

(Wood is fun! :hearts:)
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »
I thought I would post here that President Obama (and Michelle and the daughters) who was in Senegal today on the first leg of his official visit to three African countries and will be at at least two locations on this trip that were featured on the early seasons of TAR. Today he went to Goree Island and the Door of No Return, which was featured at the beginning of the fifth leg of TAR 6
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50149848n
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/obama-in-africa-addresses-snowden-gay-marriage-voting-rights/2013/06/27/e7ccef3e-df22-11e2-963a-72d740e88c12_story.html
He's scheduled to visit Mandela's prison cell on Robben Island, in Cape Town South Africa, which was visited in leg 3 of TAR 2.
He's also scheduled to visit Tanzania, but no word yet if he'll get to any of the locations visited by TAR on the various season TAR routed through that country.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »
I thought I would post here that President Obama (and Michelle and the daughters) who was in Senegal today on the first leg of his official visit to three African countries and will be at at least two locations on this trip that were featured on the early seasons of TAR. Today he went to Goree Island and the Door of No Return, which was featured at the beginning of the fifth leg of TAR 6
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50149848n
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/obama-in-africa-addresses-snowden-gay-marriage-voting-rights/2013/06/27/e7ccef3e-df22-11e2-963a-72d740e88c12_story.html
He's scheduled to visit Mandela's prison cell on Robben Island, in Cape Town South Africa, which was visited in leg 3 of TAR 2.
He's also scheduled to visit Tanzania, but no word yet if he'll get to any of the locations visited by TAR on the various season TAR routed through that country.
Obama family retracing TAR's Africa locations. :hearts: :hearts:

He just landed in Johannesburg a few hours ago.

EDIT: I doubt he will visit any TAR Tanzania locations though, Dar es Salaam Int'l Airport (TAR11), obviously for presidential reasons. I doubt he will visit Kilimanjaro or the Serengheti though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:17:59 PM by RachelLeVega »
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline saskvagabond

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »
Can't believe I forgot this one. I lost most of the photos from this after the theft but thankfully had uploaded a couple to Facebook before so I still have those.

Me with Nathan Joliffe(sp?), one half of the winning team of The Amazing Race Australia. I was walking down the street in Bondi when I was traveling there and happened to see him with some of his friends. I stopped and did the whole "mouth gaped open" stare. I couldn't believe it. My brain shut down and all I could say to start was "OMG! Amazing Race!"

His friends thought it was highly amusing. I had so many questions but only ended up saying "Congratulations!" and "This is too cool." He took it in stride. Awesome guy he is.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:49 AM »
The back of Reims Notre-Dame Cathedral. My wife was having a bit of a strop so had to sneak this picture while letting her cool down (as much as you can in 28C heat).

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »

I'm back home... :cheer: from my trip to Seattle! Actually, I was in Tacoma helping my mother's brother move to Dupont. Anyways, I took some pictures on my phone afterwards of a lot of Seattle locations TAR visited in season 3 and the season 10 starting line at Gas Works Park. I may upload them from my computer tonight telling the excitement I had, especially two unexpecting events. :o

EDIT: Uploading the pictures tomorrow because my computer crashed while in the middle of an upload. :faint:

DOUBLE EDIT: Keeps crashing, this is so embarrassing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:37:46 PM by RachelLeVega »

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
I am taking a Barcelona and Berlin trip for some days. I am now resting in Berlin, and will upload some pics when I am somehow more free. I should say I have been on the verge of making the BASE jump featured on TAR 22 as it was half price today (39,5€ only today, being 79€ the normal price, in case some of you may want to know).

I have obvs. seen the Brandenburg Gate, and may try to find the pub featuring last season's roadblock <333

Will upload pics asap.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »
(Finally got my computer to cooperate!) :wohoo:
About a week ago, I came back from an exciting trip to Seattle/Tacoma. First, I drove to Tacoma to help my uncle move to another house further from the main city. After helping pack and transfer his belongings to the new house, I decided to take a TAR3 & 10 city tour excursion in Seattle.

The first clue box location I went to is Kerry Park. It qualifies as the world's smallest park in my record book. However, small stuff usually have big packages so when I looked at the panorama, you can see the incredible Space Needle, downtown Seattle, the marina, even Mt. Rainier in a scoop of the view. It was so beautiful, why would anyone want to use a pay telescope to see one section of the city (unless a TAR directs you to).

After visiting Kerry Park, I drove to the International Fountain at Seattle Center. Unfortunately, I could not take any pictures of the waters dancing in the fountain bowl because there wasn't parralel parking space available around the perimeter of the Center, the walkway ramps and trees obstructed the view, and the nearest lot during my hunt for a parking area would be the garage at the Pacific Science Center which I was scared to go to since I did not want to pay a heavy sum of money to visit a fountain for five minutes. It was really shameful when I saw there was a Polish festival happening on the veranda of the Center. I really wanted to know what kielbasa tasted like after Dustin and Charla taunted Erinielle and Joe & Bill with "bad eating habits". :gaah: So disappointed. Anyways, I could not hold my head down because I decided an equal alternative would be to drive to the Roadblock location of TAR3's final leg, Lincoln Park. The park was a lot further than I expected it to be. I had to change highways and drive into a residential area to get there. When I got to the park, I thought I had no hope in finding a parking space again at all since it was crowded with cars! Surprisingly, this nice young dude who was waiting for a car to back out of the lot sacrificed his spot so I could park my car instead. It was simply the nicest thing anyone has ever done while I was driving. Back on topic, the park is gorgeous. So many trees, quite serene, and birds chirp in happiness. There was a little league baseball diamond and children's playground further down the sedimented path. (The first picture looks like the location where the animal totems were placed.)

After relaxing for a while, searching for birds, I drove to the Finish Line and Starting Line location, Gas Works Park. The drive to this park was super confusing because it was across downtown Seattle and then you had to exit the highway and drive another mile or two down a street and then oh my gosh. It took three tries before I finally got the right combination of turns. I give a LOT of respect to the Seattle taxi drivers for finding the park and the TAR10 teams for finding their way out because that was the most challenging part of my trip, and Lincoln Park was in a residential area I had to find. Anyways, when I got to the park, :conf: SURPRISE :conf:, I saw a CHARITY MARATHON!!! :hrt: I love jogging for charity so I could not resist this public event. After spending an hour looking at charitable spirit wear, talking with racers who finished the half marathon in 5 - 6 hours, and purchasing a bottle of water, I was back on track in TAR mode. (The second photo was where my TAR3 nightmare came true.)

Flash forward into TAR10, 12 teams were transported by seaplanes (first photo) to Gas Works Park and were told about the twists and turns of the tenth race around the world. When I was on the hill teams started on, the view was 1000x better than Kerry Park! Not only could you see the Space Needle and downtown, but beautiful blue Lake Union and the housing in the hilly areas of Seattle were priceless. It was absolutely stunning. (FUN FACT: This hill was also the starting line for Food Network's Chefs vs. City [FN version of The Amazing Race] when Aaron Sanchez and Chris Cosentino raced against another local team completing foodie tasks in Seattle's top-rated, renowned eateries/bakeries/food distribution centers.)

That is where our beloved beauty queens began their TAR adventures together and this first photo is the hill teams ran down. I give more respect to the TAR10 teams now since when I tried, I almost rolled down like a boulder and I didn't want to humiliate myself in front of a marathon. :funny: (I think the hill grew higher. ???) The second photo is where teams got their backpacks to run to their cars which some... >_> (looking at you Dustin & Kandice) could not start.

It wasn't until I had to say good-bye to my lovely uncle and Tacoma I traveled to the airport where all our teams who raced around Seattle landed safely. Usually airports are underlooked as TAR visits each of them so I had to take a picture of SEA-TAC Int'l Airport. ;)

(And if you were wondering, no, I did not see Ronald & Christina or Azaria around Tacoma. :'( That would have been REALLY awesome though.)

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »
I've only been to places TAR hasn't been to yet :( Including Bulgaria, the Canary Islands and Wales. I was in Majorca though :)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »
Don't be disappointed Stekay! Because when TAR finally visit these places... the feeling is AWESOMELY surreal and you just want to kiss your TV screen at that very moment when you see those places you know and have visited before are being used by the race! :funny:

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Don't be disappointed Stekay! Because when TAR finally visit these places... the feeling is AWESOMELY surreal and you just want to kiss your TV screen at that very moment when you see those places you know and have visited before are being used by the race! :funny:

Haha thanks Jobby :D Bulgaria might be a difficult one. They built a supermarket in the 2 weeks I was there though (seriously).

The Canary Islands are on my TAR wishlist though :)

Offline Andre

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »
I've been visited The Monkey Forrest that TAR visited in S22 in Bali. I've been feeding the monkey as well. You know, feeding that monkey was hard core! I also visited Kota Kinabalu(The coconut Roadblock place in S16) and Keraton and Borobudur Temple in Yogyakarta(TAR 19 Pit Stop in Leg 2 and 3)
No one I think is in my tree... I mean it must be high alone

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2013, 12:04:28 AM »
TAR landmarks that I visited in 2013:

Umeda Sky Building in Osaka - featured TAR12 Leg 10 and TAR20 Leg 11
Osaka Castle - featured in TAR20 Leg 11
Noda Station in Osaka - featured TAR12 Leg 09 [technically, I didn't step out of the station, but I passed by it many times!]

Miyajima Island - featured in TAR20 Leg 11

Tokyo Tower in Tokyo - featured in TAR15 Leg 01 [but not to the studio where they did the wasabi bomb challenge]
Shibuya Crossing & Hachiko Statue in Tokyo - featured TAR9 Leg 11

Hangang Park in Seoul - featured in TAR4 Leg 11 and TAR17 Leg 11
Namsan Park and Seoul Tower in Seoul - featured in TAR4 Leg 10
DMZ area - featured in TAR4 Leg 10 and TAR17 Leg 11
Gyeongbokgung Palace - featured in TAR4 Leg 10

Hoping to visit more in Dec!

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »

and Engelberg/Titlis:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »

and Engelberg/Titlis:

Beautiful seasonal contrast between Lucerne and the Swiss mountains! :luvya: Switzerland is definitely listed on my "dream-team-vay-cay" notebook. But until I am rich enough to fly round-trip in premier to a foreign country, it's strictly domestic flights around the U.S. for me. :lol:

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »
I was able to go to the TAR21 Leg 1 Pit Stop last month. :)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »
I was able to go to the TAR21 Leg 1 Pit Stop last month. :)

Amazing pictures of the Huangpu River area! :hrt: I would love to travel to China (Beijing, Shanghai, Wuxi, and Hong Kong) some day to experience the country firsthand.

Did you find The Bund Bank that Rob & Sheila accidentally went to? ;)

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2014, 11:42:32 PM »
Though I've visited many TAR destinations over the years, my most recent destination featured on the race was Seville. Here are some photos of the murals (one for a city of Spain) at the Spanish Plaza taken during New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, 25 percent of them were under renovation, but it was nice seeing everything there.

http://www.flayvr.com/flayvr?token=cec436daab513242&new_web=true&fb_action_ids=10152232801798322&fb_action_types=flayvrapp%3Aexperience&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2014, 10:51:28 PM »
I've lived in three cities where TAR has either started or finished, or been to (south Florida, metro Washington DC, and metro Atlanta, and in all three places they found places I hadn't been to (but others I have.)

Two of them were finish lines, two of them were start lines years before TAR came. So I am not complaining that I've never gotten outside the US. ;)
-- theschnauzers

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2014, 06:24:27 AM »
i went to Shanghai last week and i had been to several race location
let me share photos with all of you  :hrt:

I will find sometime and hunt for the route markers in my city - Hong Kong late this month :yess:

The Bund Signal Tower (TAR 21 Pit stop)

The Bund (TAR 21 - Where the footrace took place)

People's Heroes Monument (TAR 6 - The Tai Chi Place)

Peace Hotel  (TAR 6 - Pit stop)

Waibaidu Bridge (Garden Bridge)(TAR 16 - Leg 11)
Actually , the bridge is located right next to the People's Heroes Monument and it is located at the one end of The Bund
 :luvya:

Yuyuan Garden (TAR 6 & TAR 16 - Leg 11)

Art stone store @ the Yuyuan Garden (TAR 16 - Leg 11)
You can see the photo featuring Phil post on the wall inside the shop :luvya:

Xiaolongbao from the Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant @ Yuyuan Garden (TAR 16 - Leg 11)
i forgot to take photo with the shop itself :'(     but the dumplings (?) are delicious ! :hrt:

Zhujiajiao (TAR 16 - Leg 10)

others

TAR 7 INTRO

Electric bicycles which teams used in Beijing in TAR14

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
i went to Shanghai last week and i had been to several race location
let me share photos with all of you  :hrt:
I had to return and savor these magnificent photos of Shanghai. :<3 I would love to try the steamed dumplings from the Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant. They look delectable! Also love the pictures along the Bund/Yangtze River.

Will be traveling to the U.S. West Coast again for another TAR tracking adventure. Wavering between Portland, Oregon; San Francisco, California; or a strenuously tricky Los Angeles vacation.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »
It may be TAR Aus vs NZ but I've been to the Rangitata Gorge and went rafting there!
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »
I went to Seattle this Summer and I visited Gas Works Park. There is a large homeless population that resides there.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
I went to Seattle this Summer and I visited Gas Works Park. There is a large homeless population that resides there.
I didn't see anyone in those conditions while in Seattle nor Tacoma last summer. I do hope the homeless get good fortune and support from the city. Pains me to hear anyone living in an undesirable setting. :(

(Gas Works Park tip: Avoid the public bathroom!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:11:59 PM by RachelLeVega »