Author Topic: TAR15 EP1506 " Do It for the Hood! Do It for the Suburbs" (Dubai)  (Read 94614 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP1506 " Do It for the Hood! Do It for the Suburbs" (Dubai)
« Reply #250 on: October 30, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »
Let me see if I can end this debate on the math and the best way to calculate it, despite the fact that so many are getting such enjoyment out of it. The actual rate quoted by Maria and Tiffany to Sam and Dan and used by all 4 was 534.9. That was for a gold price of $934.75/oz. That shows that my belief that the 3 deicmal places on the calculator were needed is incorrect and that only one decimal place was needed. All those small bars must be one-tenths of a troy ounce.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2009, 09:27:51 PM »
Anyone for drinks? :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
It was actually 534.9**. Listen carefully and you'll hear the audio snipped--for both teams--right after the 9. Odd. Another bit of odd editing is the Trotters, who seem to be solving the problem in reverse ("up to 418,000...add some more"); no final inspection, just the clue reward (mistranslated btw; mabrouk  مبروك means "congratulations," not "correct").

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2009, 10:47:20 AM »
Nice work Neobie.  I could never do that 45 seconds  :ascared  You are amazing.  I see the angle you are taking in determination of a correction factor safely accurate to two figures.  I was leveraging off the proximity of a known price to make correction factor of one figure (that's all I can handle in 45 seconds!).  But that leverage comes at an upfront computation cost and time I have to do prior to the latest price. 

On the sizes of the pieces, we used to chop up 1/20 ounce gold coins for evaporations (they had five 9's purity and were a lot cheaper than buying ultra-pure gold from chemical supply houses).

But what I remember was that the coins were about the size of a dime.  That was the smallest denomination we could find.  I saw little coins about that size scattered about in the show.  They may have been expected to be accurate to 1/20 ounce.  Brian could have been simplifying it when he said "accurate to one ounce" thinking that was the smallest coin   :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders