Author Topic: TAR15 EP1506 " Do It for the Hood! Do It for the Suburbs" (Dubai)  (Read 94610 times)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP1506 " Do It for the Hood! Do It for the Suburbs" (Dubai)
« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2009, 01:02:16 AM »
So Meghan & Cheyne checked in at 12:15 p.m. while Mika & Canaan arrived at the mat around 3:35 p.m. if I'm not mistaken.
Just here to visit.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »
Looked like 11:40 to me for Meghan/Cheyne & 3:35 for Mika & Canaan. And I wanna know if Phil changed his time to 8:35 just for the Globetrotters. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2009, 01:32:52 AM »
Looked like 11:40 to me for Meghan/Cheyne & 3:35 for Mika & Canaan. And I wanna know if Phil changed his time to 8:35 just for the Globetrotters. :funny:
I think its 12:15 or 12:40, darn swooping hand  :lol:
By the way this was a first for Phil, wearing the hat at the pitstop  :hearts:

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2009, 02:55:54 AM »
So Meghan & Cheyne checked in at 12:15 p.m. while Mika & Canaan arrived at the mat around 3:35 p.m. if I'm not mistaken.

Are there any pictures of Phil's watch for any of the other teams?  I am curious how much, if any, time they gained on Meghan & Cheyne's lead.
Mika/Canaan started 3 hours and 37 minutes after them.  And they finished either 2 hours and 55 minutes to 3 hours and 20 minutes after them.  They sat at the top of the slide for 45 minutes.  If not for that, they would have finished 2h 10m & 2h 35m (if my math is correct)...so they made up a good hour on the FF team. 
I just wonder if any of the others did.
Thanks

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »
This may have been mentioned somewhere in a thread, but I don't remember it. This is what the racers walked up and slid down (except for Mika):

The Leap of Faith
27.5m tall and 61m long, from the top of the Ziggurat the Leap of Faith catapults riders into a transparent tunnel and through a shark-filled lagoon, where guitar sharks, bow mouth sharks, white tip, black tip and grey reef sharks all reside.

In addition, Atlantis Dubai has a dophin park at Dolphin Beach where the pit stop is, and an Underwater World for marine animals, expecially sharks and sting rays:

Dolphin Bay Marine & Waterpark
-Shallow Water Interaction
-Deep Water Interaction
-Dolphin Bay Education Centre

THE UNDERWATER WORLD -
Imagine exploring the mysterious ruins of Atlantis, lost for thousands of years deep beneath the sea. Now picture looking up to see 65,000 marine animals swimming in placid waters. Visitors can live out their own Atlantean adventure in The Lost Chambers, maze of underwater halls and tunnels.

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
The briefcases at the start and the James Bond comment by Tiffany just further solidifies my thining of the season's theme as 'TV'. =D
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
Mika and Canaan were at the top of the Leap of Faith for 45 minutes  :groan:

45 minutes?!  No wonder the Globetrotters caught up!  Mika must've really had a hard time going down that slide!

Belle Book

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »
Meghan and Cheyne - Meghan's starting to lose her cool, but it was still an awesome leg ran by them. They got stuck at the Detour, but still finished strong. This team's really unbeatable and unstoppable!

Maria and Tiffany - Wow, who'd have expected such a strong finish from these girls! Honestly, I take back what I said previously, about them trying so hard and never being able to do well. They've just proved me wrong. Poker girls rock at Math! :D

Sam and Dan - It was smart of them to bring a calculator, very smart. I just love how they're working so well with Maria and Tiffany. This is one really cute and sweet alliance, they're really helping one another out and all. =)

Brian and Ericka - I totally LOL-ed when they were up at the slide, Brian saying that Ericka probably wouldn't have gone down the slide had he gone first. Loved their expressions when they ended up in the water, lol. I still really love this team, but I wish that Ericka will pull a little more weight instead of just talking.

Gary and Matt - Mel and Mike minus the humour! They're just doing so good and still working well together. It's just so awww seeing a good relationship between a father and his son.

Flight Time and Big Easy - My impression of them has dropped quite a lot by them being so discouraging to Mika. Well I mean, yes, it's a race, they need not be the ones encouraging her and all but all those harsh words weren't necessary. Meh.

Mika and Canaan - Canaan has always been the one pushing the team, and ultimately, it was Mika that cost them the race. I do feel that Mika should have just tried to overcome her fear and gone down the slide but at the same time, I thought that Canaan should have been more encouraging. The way he did it was rather threatening, saying stuff like, "You're gonna regret if you don't go down." Come on, that wouldn't work, seeing that the girl was on the verge of going crazy. And he actually attempted to throw her down the slide, HE'd be the one regretting had he done that. I understand Canaan's frustration, but I kinda feel that had he been nicer and all, Mika MIGHT have gone down the slide. Either way, it sucked that they had to go out this way. I wish that they'd have stayed over the Globetrotters, it's so boring having a physically fit all-male team dominating. But well... Mika has just got to learn to be stronger. I still love them though, Canaan was really sweet at the end.

Current ranking of teams:
1. Brian and Ericka
2. Maria and Tiffany
3. Meghan and Cheyne
4. Sam and Dan
5. Gary and Matt
6. Flight Time and Big Easy
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »
I'm revising my scoring system:
Japan gets a subpar from me.
Vietnam leg 1 gets a good and Vietnam leg 2 gets an average.
Phnom Penh gets an average.
Dubai leg 1 gets a good.

This leg on the other hand gets an outstanding. People will remember this episode due to Mika's breakdown  :groan:. (I still think the Dubai legs should've been merged into one.) I liked how this leg focused more on the drama and revealed quite a bit about the teams. (There should be stronger woman participants on TAR 16.) Quite a few other stumbles in this episode.

Poor Globetrotters, they got stuck on the roadblock and lost a lot of time. Yet, they're probably my top team right now for their calm composure and AWESOME one-liners. Don't blame them for being mean to Canaan; it's a race people!

Plus, finally a decent detour!  :hearts: I'm still ashamed of Dan and Sam for screwing up WITH a calculator.
Great to see Maria and Tiffany be competent. They're not going to win this thing though :P Team Miss America gets a pass due to the long division (and the changing numbers). Surprised so many teams did the hookahs in that heat. The detour judges rocked by being much harsher than the ones we've seen.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »
Winning poker at any level involves complex mathematical calculations which Maria and Tiffany must do in their heads. They must have great mathematical aptitude. Having a calculator to do $5000 / Gold price per ounce would have been a piece of cake for them.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2009, 01:43:06 PM »
Just wondering, did the calculation of weight require the conversion of grams into ounces? There was a line in smaller text on the big screen showing that conversion...

'Cause dividing $500 000 by $x/oz is really... erm... pretty easy with a calculator.

From Puddin:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:11:58 PM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Neobie:

I went back to the telecast of episode 6, Dubai II. It clearly shows that the calculation is from dollars into troy ounces and fractions of troy ounces. The bottom line is that no further arithmetic into grams or anything else is needed, just prompt manipulation of the correct amount of gold pieces onto the scale.

To see that this set of calculations makes sense, one of the numbers used in the telecast was 934.2 $/ounce. To carry the calculation one step further, using the 934.2 $/tr.oz. that would have given 535.2173 troy ounces. That is how much they needed to place on the scale quickly before the price changed each minute.

The 31.1034768 is the correct grams per troy ounce, but it is a red herring as far as the DETOUR was concerned.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:48:54 PM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »
Phil's Tilley hat was the exact same kind of hat that Rob and Brennan worn in season one, or at least to me it seems to be.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »
Does the term "hating hat" mean anything to y'all?? :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »
It does to me.  :jumpy: :hearts:
-- theschnauzers

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »
What?
 :funny:
Anyway, I thought this was a decent leg, especially for this season, loved the detour!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
In this particular instance, it would have been easy without a calculator. As others have pointed out, just use Lazy Man's arithmetic:
  • 935 is close to 1000. Putting that into a half-million gives you a start of 500 ounces
  • 65 (the remainder) is close to 50, or 5% of 1000, which puts an additional 25 ounces on the scale
Then just keep drilling down the remainder. The calculator would be useful for small price changes. As Boingo mentioned, the gold wasn't marked or stamped (probably "amazing" gold, just like the phony gold bricks from The Mole 5), so figuring the weight units would be--trial and error?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2009, 10:07:16 PM »
Slowhatch,

The problem with your method is precision. You won't get it to multiple decimal places to the right(the example showed 3 places). Using standard paper and pencil arithmetic, I (pretty decent at arithmetic as well as mathematics in general) attempted to do this in less than 55 seconds (leaving 5 seconds to place the pieces on the scale). It took me 100 seconds and my result was 525.33 due to rounding error. The correct answer by calculator is 525.217. Your approximation method has no chance.

I would like you to pick another quite different 4-digit exchange rate, run a timed calculation with your approximation method and then compare it to the calculator result. I bet you cannot do it correctly in 55 seconds or less.

The way teams should have approached this problem once they discovered the "changes every minute" feature was to ask the store personnel to borrow a calculator. I think this is what Nate/Herb did but they weren't able to successfully come up with a right answer due to slow speed. It's not high math involved here but I hypothesize that none of these individuals except Maria and Tiffany has done any serious arithmetic in years.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:09:52 AM by apskip »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:39 AM »
Put another word in front of hating and yes it does.
Just here to visit.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
Slowhatch,

The problem with your method is precision. You won't get it to multiple decimal places to the right(the example showed 3 places). Using standard paper and pencil arithmetic, I (pretty decent at arithmetic as well as mathematics in general) attempted to do this in less than 55 seconds (leaving 5 seconds to place the pieces on the scale). It took me 100 seconds and my result was 525.33 due to rounding error. The correct answer by calculator is 525.217. Your approximation method has no chance.

I would like you to pick another quite different 4-digit exchange rate, run a timed calculation with your approximation method and then compare it to the calculator result. I bet you cannot do it correctly in 55 seconds or less.

The way teams should have approached this problem once they discovered the "changes every minute" feature was to ask the store personnel to borrow a calculator. I think this is what Nate/Herb did but they weren't able to successfully come up with a right answer due to slow speed. It's not high math involved here but I hypothesize that none of these individuals except Maria and Tiffany has done any serious arithmetic in years.

The difficulty of this task all depends on what accuracy the teams are required to use.  At one point we hear Brian say that they have calculate it to the exact ounce.  Okay, if that is the degree of accuracy then this is a piece of cake.

Watch and Learn !

Say the current price is $934.14 per ounce.  Add 934.14 to 934.14 to get 1868.28.  Add 934.14 to that to get 2802.42.  And so on until you have 1 through ten covered like this:

1     934.14
2    1868.28
3    2802.42
4    3736.56
5    4670.70
6    5604.84
7    6538.98
8    7473.12
9    8407.26
10  9341.14

Without worrying about the price changing, just go ahead and determine that if it was still $934.14 then you would need
500 ounces plus 500000 - 467070 = 32390 worth (remainder), so add in
30 ounces plus 32390 - 28024.20 = 4905.80 worth (remainder), so add in
5 ounces plus 4905.80 - 4670.70 = 235.10 worth (remainder is less than one ounce) so skip it

So load up the scale with 535 ounces and wait for the next price change.

Say the next price change that pops up shows $942.75 per ounce.  You have 60 seconds to do the following:
Get the difference between the two prices:  8.61
Multiply that by the number of ounces you have on the scale:  535 * 8.61 = 4606.35
That is how many dollars past $500000 your scale load is.
So, using the collection of already-multiplied amounts you can quickly estimate the number of ounces you need to remove from the scale:
5 ounces because 4606.35 is closer to 4670.70 than it is to 3736.56

Pull off the five ounces from the scale and call the judge.

There is an uncertainty in this method that may result in the wrong correction.  That is because the 'old' price is being used to determine the amount to remove. But most of the time it works out correctly.   If you think you can generate the table of multiplied numbers for the new current price then just do that from the start!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
omg.    :lol:

I'm with the calculator crowd!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »

omg, I tried doing it in 54.2 seconds but it took me 99.221, crap!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #247 on: October 30, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »
Michael, you're the king of fast!  I can barely get the 'do this in 60 seconds'  stuff done quickly enough.   :lol:

Yes, go borrow a calculator was definitely the way to go!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #248 on: October 30, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
I was simply not willing to read all that math stuff. I skipped it! :funny:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: October 30, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »
Remember the rolling cheese, Chateau? B:) :lol: This method makes use of the fact that one partner is half of two, that 500oz is half of 1000oz, and $500000 half of $1000000. (That's even what they said in the clue!) I've cut out the boring math, but PM me if you're a nerd!

Start with 500oz on the scales. Say the new rate is $942.75/oz.

PARTNER ONE
1. Multiply the rate by 1000. That's double the value you already have.
942.75 x 1000 = 942750
2. Deduct that from 1000000. That's double the remainder value you need.
1000000 - 942750 = 57250
3. Divide that by 2, then round it off to the hundreds place.
57250 / 2 = 28625, rounded to 28600

PARTNER TWO
4. Round off the rate to the tens place.
942.75, rounded to 940
5. Write out multiples of that. This step is not essential, but it speeds up long division. (Same method as Chateau.)
94 x 2 = 188
94 x 3 = 282
94 x 4 = 376
94 x 5 = 470
94 x 6 = 564
94 x 7 = 658
94 x 8 = 752
94 x 9 = 846

TOGETHER
6. Divide Step 3 by Step 4 by long multiplication, and round it to the nearest ounce.
28600 / 940 = 2860 / 94 = 30.4
30.4, rounded off to 30

7. Add 30oz to the scales. Call for the judge.

Did it in 45s without a partner.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:29:26 PM by Neobie »