Author Topic: TAR15 EP1505 : "I知 Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)  (Read 156779 times)

Offline eragon

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP1505 : "I知 Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »

We can see here that Canaan is holding a Route Info clue, so we can say that the task in Burj Dubai in not a detour.

Detour: Snow task and Automobile task?

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2009, 02:44:08 AM »
To me it looks like this is the last leg for Mika & Canaan. They are at the tower much later than Lance & Keri, and things don't look good.

Then again, it could always be another non-elimination for Maria & Tiffany. :lol:
Lance and Keri are at the sign in sheet, the night before they hit the tower at least I think thats what I thought we've been thinking.

Look ................it's the next day now

Maria/Tiffany, Sam/Dan (?), Mika/Canaan (or is it Meghan/Cheyne?) together here. Where are they heading out to? They're walking/running/hopping/jumping/strolling/sauntering away from the Burj.

So the leg most likely is like this?
RI at the Burj Dubai
possibly some other task
Detour - race car or snow man (gah, reminds me of another Automatic or Manual :groan: - about time they recycled Detour names though - Dry/Wet and Ropes/Slopes anyone? :funny:)
desert RB
RI telling taxi to take them to a desert area (can be before/after/both before & after the RB)
another desert camp for a Pit Stop (?)
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
If anyone is bored they can help find the confessional place, I've been all over the place with no luck.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »
To me it looks like this is the last leg for Mika & Canaan. They are at the tower much later than Lance & Keri, and things don't look good.

Then again, it could always be another non-elimination for Maria & Tiffany. :lol:
Lance and Keri are at the sign in sheet, the night before they hit the tower at least I think thats what I thought we've been thinking.

Look ................it's the next day now

Maria/Tiffany, Sam/Dan (?), Mika/Canaan (or is it Meghan/Cheyne?) together here. Where are they heading out to? They're walking/running/hopping/jumping/strolling/sauntering away from the Burj.

Raymond

I think this group is milling about waiting for the tower to open so that they can do that task.  My assumption is that teams signed into the tower task the night before (10:30 pm from other info in this thread); the sign up sheet is next to the horse.  Teams are milling because they have a set time to start at the tower.

Edit: After posting the paragraph above and can now actually see the tall tower in the background.  So I may be completely off. :groan:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
 ;D  Noticed something interesting in the following pictures, namely they may be at the same location.
Note the similar cobblestone streets with the racers and automobiles.  Also note that the windows behind the cars are the same as those at the Dubai Mall, shown here.  So, ipso-facto, the racers are looking for something near the mall.   ;)

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:41 AM »
;D  Noticed something interesting in the following pictures, namely they may be at the same location.
Note the similar cobblestone streets with the racers and automobiles.  Also note that the windows behind the cars are the same as those at the Dubai Mall, shown   So, ipso-facto, the racers are looking for something near the mall.   ;)

:ty3: Much better that the drivel I posted above.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:56:26 PM by gator27 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »
some better photos

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »
The site Puddin mentioned, skyscrapercity, has some interesting photos. This is a photo of construction of what I think is the plinth for the horse (for some reason I can't link to the photo; here's the source page). Also, the shaft above the parking exit contains white supports that look like the ones in the cap (source page).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR15 EP1505 : "I’m Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »
What did I read about the SKI place and the Mall? Are they next to each other? something.... ???

Okay...it is INSIDE the Mall of the Emirates , not the Dubai Mall....

Could they be at the wrong mall? Or is that where they get their cars? And then drive tio the Emirates Mall??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:10:36 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
What did I read about the SKI place and the Mall? Are they next to each other? something.... ???

Could they be at the wrong mall? Or is that where they get their cars? And then drive tio the Emirates Mall??

:groan:  ummm... we know for sure (100%) that the cars shown in the preview are exiting the Dubai Mall.  We know that the racers are seen between the Dubai Lake Hotel and the Dubai Mall (very near where the cars exit).  We know that Ski Dubai is located at the Mall of the Emirates (which is not the Dubai Mall).  Make up your own scenarios as to what occurs in what order.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:40:52 PM by Boingo »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
 :lol:  For those of you who can't get enough of the Burj Dubai ... I present the motherlode of pictures on the subject.

everything you ever wanted to see about the Burj Dubai and it's surroundings

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
Is it just me or are we seeing a lot more race crew this season? When I get a chance I'll go through and try to catalog them all.

Is this a result of the short editing window we had for this season?
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
I don't think they care anymore, take the first episode for example the license plates then in Tokyo at the crossings and Vietnam at the mud task.

Is it just me or are we seeing a lot more race crew this season? When I get a chance I'll go through and try to catalog them all.

Is this a result of the short editing window we had for this season?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »
I was always amazed that we rarely saw the production crew anyway with all the commotion going on

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »
MICHAEL??!! I remember a Michael........ in the good ole days. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »
MICHAEL??!! I remember a Michael........ in the good ole days. :lol:

:hides

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
I want to talk about flights to go Phnom Penh to Dubai. All the other commentators on this have assumed that the direct route PHN BKK and BKK DXB is best, but that is not the case. Notwithstanding the information that teams were spotted on TG517 nonstop from BKK DXB 1818 (actual) 2120 (actual), the smart teams would have done the following:

BKK DEL AI9854 1335(actual) 1635 (actual)
DEL DXB EK6680 1825(actual) 2130(actual), because the schedule has EK6680 arriving 10 minutes earlier than TG517 even though on this day it was 10 minutes later

Now, for the flight from PNH to BKK, is is not smart to wait around in Cambodia when you can reach Bangkok earlier than others have shown. I see no reason other than later release from the pit stop (which I consider unlikely) to not get on:

PG932 0937 (actual 7/26) 1046 (actual 7/26)  or on TG581 1000 1105, which Thai Airways shows flying on Sundays but evidence of that on 7/26 is unclear.

If teams are released too late for those flights, then the afternoon flight PG934 would be OK to conenct to TG517 in Bangkok.

If any teams arrive early enough to Bangkok's BKK then I would direct them to Dubai by way of Kuwait:

Thai Airways TG 519 leaving Bangkok at 1:00 pm and arriving in Kuwait at 4:35 pm.
Then they take Emirates EK 858 leaving at 6:05 pm and arriving in Dubai at 8:40 pm.

Those lucky teams would then be arriving 50 minutes ahead of the teams we know who took the slower flight.   :jam:

Could they be at the wrong mall? Or is that where they get their cars? And then drive to the Emirates Mall??

:groan:  ummm... we know for sure (100%) that the cars shown in the preview are exiting the Dubai Mall.  We know that the racers are seen between the Dubai Lake Hotel and the Dubai Mall (very near where the cars exit).  We know that Ski Dubai is located at the Mall of the Emirates (which is not the Dubai Mall).  Make up your own scenarios as to what occurs in what order.  :lol:

My speculations is that the Teams arrive around 8:20 pm on July 26 (see the first post in this thread by puddin) and head for the black horse (eye witness at 10:30 pm).  At the black horse the teams sign up for an early morning (~6 am) date with the world's tallest building.  After going to the top of the building and getting a clue, they are off to ....

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
The commercials I've grabbed so far

when ready ........quality will improve after it processes

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR15 EP1505 : "I’m Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
about the same as the web promo but better
 ;D

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:45:53 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2009, 01:48:47 AM »
Well, we know that they buggered the departure times for this leg of the race   :groan:

Here they are in noontime sunshine when we know they finished the previous leg around 4:30 pm.

(:;)
It's probably just to preclude the teams from ever catching the flight through Kuwait:

Thai Airways TG 519 leaving Bangkok at 1:00 pm and arriving in Kuwait at 4:35 pm.
Then they take Emirates EK 858 leaving at 6:05 pm and arriving in Dubai at 8:40 pm.

To get that flight they needed to be at Phnom Penh's airport in time to catch this flight to BKK (from Apskip): 
PG932 0937 (actual 7/26) 1046 (actual 7/26)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:00:10 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »
Chateau,

I think there is a relatively simple possible explanation that only uses a practice from a prior episode. In Japan teams arrived aroudn 430pm (admittedly in Narita maybe 2 hours from Tokyo Tower) but they did not start their tasks on July 19. They were delayed until July 20 by what I call a pseudo-pit-stop break. I think the same thing happens in Dubai on arrival on July 27, although it appears to me that teams do go that evening to Burj Dubai to sign up for their task there on the morning of July 28. That is a way to reward teams for high performance despite Bunching.

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
could be the switchback the roadblock in Le Mans, France. (season 4)  :duno:

Actually, I think the switchback will be in The Netherlands... Season 12

In the Roadblock for this leg, one team member had to complete a single vault over a watery, muddy ditch and successfully touch both feet to the marshy grass on the opposite side in a regional sport known as ditch vaulting in order to receive their next clue.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
I did not make up the Switchback concept and had nothing to do with it. However, you are welcome to speculate all you want, but the key word is "infamous". LeMans road race by Amazing Racers was totally without controversy, so it could never be rated as "infamous". The pole vaulting over the fjierlippen (muddy ditch) was not a highly infamous ROADBLOCK. Maybe 3 racers got wet and Donald showed off his physique but those are not overwhelmingly infamous. If you want to nominate an alternative to that indicated below, then please come up with something truly infamous.

My vote stays with the truly infamous hay bales unroll ROADBLOCK in Sweden near Stockholm. AR15 could return to the same field used in AR6 for maximum impact. Plus maybe have either Lena or Kristy as greeter at the pit stop.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
 ;D

I'm hoping that the clue for the tallest building task actually says "Find the tallest building in Dubai" instead of find building X.  This ads depth and complexity to the task.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
 ;D

Odd how the racing part is displayed backwards (inverted 5 on the wall).  Are they trying to throw off the spoilers?