Author Topic: TAR15: Justin Kanew & Zev Glassenberg - Friends  (Read 37957 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR15: Justin Kanew & Zev Glassenberg - Friends
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »
The Amazing Race
The Amazing Race Introduces Contestant With Asperger’s Syndrome
September 23, 2009

The last season of The Amazing Race featured the show’s first deaf player, who made it all the way to the final leg. Among this season’s teams will be one with a contestant who has Asperger’s syndrome. Zev Glassenberg, 26, will journey through eight countries in 21 days for a chance at $1 million — a challenge Glassenberg is looking forward to.

“It’s one of my favorite shows and I thought it would be a really, really cool experience,” he tells DisabilityScoop.com. “It’s basically a scavenger hunt around the world and I like to do scavenger hunts, so why not do one around the world?”

His partner will be his longtime friend Justin Kanew, 30, who he says will be there to help him with the aspects of travel that might prove most trying for him. Aspergers, an autism-spectrum disorder, is a condition in which people have extreme difficulties understanding or participating in social interactions.

“He’s one of my very, very good friends,” Glassenberg said. “We met at a sports camp in Massachusetts in 2003 where we taught football together. We’re pretty much alike. He’s a little bit older than I am but we both have the same common interests — sports and hanging out and just having a good time.”

Glassenberg says he’d wanted to apply for the show for the last seven seasons and does not think having Asperger’s syndrome should hurt his chances at the $1 million prize. “I’ve had [Asperger's] since I was 11. It really doesn’t mean much to my life,” he says. “It’s just something I do and I guess I live with it. I don’t really spend too much of my life on that — it’s just something that’s there.”

Although he admits the social aspects of traveling the world on a reality show competition are “little overwhelming,” the same could be said for any of the teams.

“I thought we had as good a shot as anybody to win the race,” Glassenberg says. “I just wanted to go and be myself and do my thing.”

The Amazing Race premieres Sept. 27 on CBS. –Michael Y. Park

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/09/23/the-amazing-race-introduces-contestant-with-aspergers/

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
I wonder how these interviews work? that is almost identical to the disability one.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »
Darkhorse/ sleeper pair!!   :jumpy: should do well i like them!! :tup:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline Queenycastle

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:04 AM »
Darkhorse/ sleeper pair!!   :jumpy: should do well i like them!! :tup:

I agree Ugot.   :yess:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
I thought Meghan and Cheyne might have built their own website, but I now think it was made by Celebrity Alerts, because Zev and Justin have a site that looks exactly the same.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
Did you read .. A really incredible email we just got… posted by Justin?

I love this team they make me laugh and they are great guys  :hearts:

Offline Jeesan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
 :ascared Bye Bye Zev & Justin  :'(  :'(  :'( It was heart-breaking to see you fall from the race like this - from second-last place to 1st place to getting eliminated, all in the same leg. It was really nice to see Zev give away his jacket to that guy in the bus.

I'll miss you guys :(

I don't still get it, how did they lose the passport and could the find it out after the race and if they couldn't, didn't they face problems getting back?

But none of it matters now though...I was really really rooting for them to win but *sighs* they have been eliminated :'( :(

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 12:57:43 PM »
To me, Justin being so hard on himself just made me feel worse about Zev and Justin being disqualified from the race. I hope Justin has forgiven himself, why beat your self up for a mistake, you can't should've would've yourself. Zev is such a great friend and I'm sure he never blamed Justin for second as a good friend would not do  :hugs:
I'm looking forward to reading their exit interviews sometime today I hope!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »
In Elimination Station's latest episode, we see how Zev & Justin get the passport back and we learn how they lost it. And Justin continues to beat himself up. So sad especially how well they raced during the leg. I posted this in the Insider Videos thread, but I think this can go here as well.

Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
If they ever have an Amazing Race second Chance, Justin and Zev would have my vote as well as Mark and Bill TAR13 and Dallas and Toni.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »
You can say Zev & Justin have each other's back, which is how it should be. :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
You can say Zev & Justin have each other's back, which is how it should be. :tup:
:hearts: :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
Bonnie Hunt tomorrow! How exciting that she has brought the eliminated teams back  :jumpy:, can't wait to see Zev and Justin  :hearts:

Tuesday, October 13th -

"Amazing Race" Eliminated Team: Another team has been eliminated and they'll be here today. Find out all the stuff you didn't see on camera!

Read more: http://www.bonniehunt.com/promos/tuesday_october_13th_-_christi.php#ixzz0Tl5QHa9D

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »
The Amazing Race 15: Exclusive Interview with Zev Glassenberg and Justin Kanew
Posted on 10/12/2009 by Gina in Amazing Race and Cast Interviews

by Gina Scarpa

Last night, on The Amazing Race, things were going well for Zev and Justin, who ended up at the pit stop first after a race through Cambodia.  Upon arriving, though, they realized that they were missing one crucial piece of paper: Zev’s passport.  Without all the proper travel documents, they would be eliminated from the race unless they could find it before the last team checked in.  They were unable to do and were unfortunately sent home.  Today, the friends spoke to RealityWanted about their experiences on the show and where the heck that passport turned up!

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: When did the two of you meet and how did you become friends?
A. Zev: We met at a camp about five years ago, in 2004.
A. Justin:  The camp that we both went to… I left for about 10 years and I went back to be a counselor and Zev was still there because he’s younger than me.  We’re both from L.A. and we stayed in touch and ended up becoming great friends.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Whose idea was it to try out for The Amazing Race and what made you want to do it?
A. Zev: I have been a fan since day 1.  It’s been my dream to go on The Amazing Race.  I finally got Justin to do it.
A. Justin:  Zev’s been telling me that we need to apply for 4 years and this year, he said, “Let’s do it” and I said, “Either we’ll get on the show or he’ll shut up.”  Now, it’s become my dream, too.  I love it as much as he does.
A. Zev: Not AS much.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: I was surprised how many people didn’t realize that the picture on last night’s episode was of Jackie Kennedy.  How long did it take you guys to figure it out?
A. Justin: Well, I didn’t really know who it was.  Zev figured it out pretty quickly. 
A. Zev: I knew!  It was my friend Jackie O.
A. Justin: He was one of the few people that actually figured it out

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: I’m sure you guys have gotten asked this a million times but where did that passport end up turning up?
A. Justin: If you go to CBS.com, the Elimination Station episode is up.  We went across the street to the embassy and somebody had turned it in.  When we went into the monastery next to the monkey challenge, which they didn’t show, I reached into my fanny pack and pulled out a light and the passport fell out there.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: It was such a terrible way to get eliminated.  How did the two of you deal with it?
A. Justin: He beat me often. 
A. Zev: It was heartbreaking.
A. Justin: We just walked around in a funk for a few days after and thought about what could’ve been.  Eventually, we came to terms with it.  The silver lining was that we got to do this and we had enjoyed the ride.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Which team were you closest with?  Were you working with anybody else?
A. Zev: The team we were closest with was Garrett and Jess but they decided to leave early.  We weren’t really working with everybody.  If you ran somewhere, it was like, “Oh is it over here?”
A. Justin: It always helped to have somebody near you.  There wasn’t a team that we didn’t everything with but there was a time we worked with Megan and Cheyne… and another time we worked with Gary and Matt but we didn’t have a strong alliance the way the poker players do with the brothers.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: You lucked out with your cab driver on last night’s episode.  How did you end up with him?
A. Zev: First, Justin wanted to jump into another cab and this guy seemed to know where he was going better.  We decided to ride with him all day and take him on this adventure with us.  Thanks Terry!
A. Justin: It was definitely luck.  We had had really bad taxi luck the first three legs so this was the first time that we got lucky.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: What was your favorite place that you were able to visit?
A. Justin: The hotel in Cambodia was amazing. 
A. Zev: I really liked the green room in Japan.
A. Justin: Yeah, we really didn’t see Tokyo at all and Vietnam… we had had our fill of it.  I wouldn’t recommend spending your Christmas vacation there.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Did being on The Amazing Race affect your friendship, positively or negatively?
A. Justin: We were really tight and it seemed like a natural thing.  I guess maybe it wears on some people’s relationships and they split up over it.  For us, we’ve spent a lot of time together before, like at camp for instance, so it wasn’t an intense change for us.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Do you want to travel more together and visit places you haven’t been?
A. Zev: I don’t know about together…
A. Justin: It makes us wanna travel more, for sure.  We hope to have more adventures, whether there are cameras there or not.

source

http://www.realitywanted.com/newsitem/2508-the-amazing-race-15-exclusive-interview-with-zev-glassenberg-and-justin-kanew

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »
:tup: thanks puddin for the updates/links on them!!  :hugs:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »
Your welcome Ugot and I beleive Rob has a interview with them on the podcast tomorrow night!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
In Touch magazine interview

A missing passport sends Justin and Zev packing on The Amazing Race

From the moment Justin Kanew and Zev Glassenberg landed in Cambodia, they ran an almost flawless leg of The Amazing Race. Even though Zev had some trouble mastering a monkey's moves, the team still managed to be the first to check in with host Phil Keoghan at the pit stop. "We were on top of the world," Justin tells In Touch about winning the Cambodian leg. "It felt amazing," agrees Zev, who quickly realized that he was missing his passport. "It felt like we just fell off a cliff," admits Justin. When the duo was unable to produce the proper travel documents, they were disqualified.

What was your first impression of Cambodia?
Justin: The first impression came while we were flying across a river that was very brown. So as we were landing in Cambodia, we were thinking that the place was probably not going to be clean like Tokyo. We figured that it would be more like the parts of Vietnam we had seen, and it was. It was pretty dirty.
Zev: But they had some really beautiful buildings spread throughout.
Justin: Yeah, there was some great temples, and that kind of thing, and the people were really nice.

You really lucked out with Thierry the cab driver.
Justin: Yes, we did.

Do you give him some credit for helping you in Cambodia?
Justin: We definitely give Thierry all the credit in the world. Zev: And then some.
Justin: Our cab luck overall on the race was not good, but we lucked out during that leg, in particular.
Zev: It sort of made up for it.
Justin: Yeah, it made up for it. We got the best guy in town. He was awesome. He stayed with us and went above and beyond.
Zev: He drove us by his house.
Justin: Yeah, we went by his house. We were really blessed to have him in that situation.

How did it feel to actually win the leg?
Zev: It felt amazing.
Justin: We were on top of the world for those two seconds.

And then what went through your minds when you realized that the passport was missing?
Justin: It felt like we just fell off a cliff.

Zev, did you find your passport?
Zev: I did. Well, I didn't personally find it. Some Cambodian found it and returned it to the embassy. So thank you random Cambodian person.

Justin, you never seemed to think that Zev's Asperger's disease was going to be a problem, so are you proud of the way he performed?
Justin: I couldn't be more proud of him. I knew going into this that he was going to be great. I knew that he wasn't going to have a problem, but I didn't realize that he was going to be so comfortable in so many strange situations that he was going to be such an asset on the race. I really did need him to balance me out along the way. And just seeing what the race has done for him as a person in the few months since we've been back is amazing.

Zev, was Justin a good race partner?
Zev: Eh. [laughs] Yeah, he was great. I couldn't have chosen a better one. I wanted to choose another one, but I found the best one I could have had.
Justin: I was Plan B, by the way.
Zev: I wanted to do it with my dad, but he probably would have died.
Justin: Yeah, I think it's probably better that I went with him.

So would you two do it all over again?
Justin: Yes.
Zev: Yes.
Justin: Yes, we would love to do it again. We are available for booking for All-Stars or any future races. We would be happy to do it.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/2009/10/a_missing_passport_sends_justi.php#more

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
tvguide interview

Amazing Race's Justin Takes the Blame for Losing Zev's Passport
Oct 12, 2009 07:26 PM ET by Joyce Eng

For the second time in three seasons, a lost passport did in a team on The Amazing Race. Friends Zev Glassenberg, 26, and Justin Kanew, 30, went from leg winners to disqualified racers after Zev's passport went MIA. "We saw [the season] when Toni and Dallas lost theirs. I guess misery loves company," Justin tells TVGuide.com. "I'm glad we weren't the only idiots!" So where and how did they lose the passport? Find out below, and see if Zev really is a duck whisperer.

TVGuide.com: In the Elimination Station clip, you retrieved the passport at the U.S. Embassy and figured out the passport fell out in a temple. What happened?
Justin: Yeah, the clue that took us to the monkey Roadblock said you had to be quiet when you're around the monks, so we assumed we had to go inside the monastery. It was really dark in there and I reached into my fanny pack to pull out a headlight and it must've slipped out then. When they told us where they found it, we realized what happened. It was so dark [the camera guys] couldn't even get what happened. It was probably 15 minutes after we checked in that we realized it was missing. But I take the blame!

TVGuide.com: You guys were so calm then and throughout the whole show. How did you keep your cool after that went down?
Zev: We were just doing our own thing and having fun with it. That's the way we ran our race. We didn't want to get angry or anything. Sometimes things just happen.
Justin: Zev was more calm than I was — and it was his passport. We wanted to avoid the pratfalls of having animosity toward each other, so we went to therapy with Zev's shrink before the race and talked about how we were going to cooperate and I think it really worked. One of the things we said was that no matter what happened, we would be good to each other and keep calm. That was the only thing we could control. I think also you could tell when we got back out there we knew it was over for us. There wasn't a lot that could hold you up for too long on the leg.

TVGuide.com: Other than the end, you ran an awesome leg, going from second-to-last to first. What contributed to that?
Justin: Our strategy, which we didn't really plan, but it was to get a local to stay with us the entire leg. We did it pretty much every leg except for the duck whisperer one. It paid off on this one because we got this great cab driver who knew where we were going and was fast. That's just the luck of the draw the whole race — getting a good cab driver or a slow cab driver. Most of the time we got slow ones, but we were blessed with a good dude that day.

TVGuide.com: They didn't announce a prize for you guys. Was that edited out because you eventually got eliminated?
Justin: It was probably the line of the episode, but it got edited out. We won motorcycles and after Phil told us, Zev goes, "Motorcycle?! I can barely drive a car!"
Zev: What am I going to do with a motorcycle? My mom's not going to let me drive a motorcycle.
Justin: I don't think anyone's ever rejected a prize before, but that's what he did. But I don't think we'll be getting those motorcycles. I don't think you'll be seeing us riding on [Highway] 1 with wind blowing in our hair

TVGuide.com: You can go on All-Stars and win more prizes.
Zev: Yes! Start the campaign now!

TVGuide.com: Why did only a few teams recognize Jackie Kennedy in the photo?
Zev: I did! Not Justin though. Just Zev! [Laughs]
Justin: Yeah, I didn't. Zev's good like that. I don't know why, but since I didn't, I can't really talk down to anybody. ... I didn't think it was Queen Elizabeth, so that's good!

TVGuide.com: You guys came into this as the "feel-good story" because Zev has Asperger's. Were you OK with that label?
Zev: I just went along with it and did my thing. I've had Asperger's since I was 11 and it's who I am. It didn't weigh on me at all.
Justin: One of the amazing things that's come out of this that has been totally overwhelming has been this outpour[ing] of love and support from people with Asperger's, parents of people with Asperger's about how inspired they are and how they love seeing our relationship and all that. For us, that just made the whole thing more than we thought it could be.

TVGuide.com: Zev, are you really a duck whisperer?
Zev: The tape does not lie!
Justin: People have been asking if he's really that good with ducks and the answer is a capital "yes." I could not believe what I was seeing, especially since there were all these people struggling with this. I thought we were in trouble and then it was like he was whispering to these ducks. He could've told them what to do without the flags and they would've done it. He was just calm and cool. He's great with kids too. He just relates to other living things on this level that some people can't.
Zev: I love to eat duck, so they were probably afraid I was going to eat them.  :lol: :lol:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Races-Justin-1010806.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05#comments

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »
Did you read .. A really incredible email we just got… posted by Justin?

I love this team they make me laugh and they are great guys  :hearts:

That was really inspiring! Thanks for sharing puddin~

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »
Zev and Justin on Bonnie Hunt  :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Exclusive: Zev Glassenberg and Justin Kanew dish on 'The Amazing Race'

By Christopher Rocchio, 10/13/2009

Zev Glassenberg and Justin Kanew knew that when they lost Zev's passport there The Amazing Race journey was finished.

Zev, a 26-year-old from Sherman Oaks, CA who is currently unemployed, and Justin a 30-year-old VP of development for National Lampoon from Los Angeles, CA, became the fourth team eliminated from The Amazing Race's fifteenth season during Sunday night's broadcast of the CBS reality series.

On Tuesday, Zev and Justin talked to Reality TV World about how they've come to peace with losing the passport and being disqualified for it; how, in retrospect, they might have gotten around the rule; how Zev surprised himself during the competition; and how it felt to watch their mistake play out during the episode.

Reality TV World: Are you guys still upset over the way your The Amazing Race experience ended or have you been able to come to peace with it?

Zev: Yeah, we were very upset and devastated but time heels all wounds.

Justin: That's a great answer Zev.

Zev: Well thanks, Justin.

Justin: I think we've come to terms with it by this point.  But the week after that happened it was pretty tough. As we were at Elimination Station and more teams start showing up, you come to realize that only one team can win it.

Reality TV World: You guys actually brought up the idea that you were going to be "DQ'd" because of the missing passport before you actually went and met with host Phil Keoghan and told him about it.  What made you guys think that -- was needing your passports for a check-in to be valid a Race rule you guys were already aware of, or had you been talking to some of the producers, or what was it that gave you that idea?

Zev: That's one of the rules.

Justin: That's one of the rules, and also I've seen it happen to [thirteenth-season "Mother and Son" team of Dallas and Toni Imbimbo]. So I knew that probably that hadn't changed.

Reality TV World: I thought the Toni and Dallas situation was a little different from you guys since they were actually the last team to check-in, while you guys were the first team to check-in but couldn't because you didn't have your travel documents.  So there was a rule that -- regardless of when you got to the Pit Stop -- you needed to have those travel documents or be disqualified?

Zev: Yeah.

Justin: Yeah, but we just figured that was the case. It just seems like a pretty obvious thing that we weren't going to be able to move on.  But in retrospect there was probably a couple things we could have done differently, it's just we made such a scene about looking for it that everybody was so aware of what was going on.

Reality TV World: What were some of those other things you just mentioned?

Justin:  Well I guess we could have waited until the next leg started and then gone and tried to find it.

Reality TV World: Okay, so you couldn't have gone during the mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop, but you thought of going once the next leg had officially started?

Justin: Yes.

Reality TV World: Is that a scenario that the producers would have allowed? Did you ever ask them about it?

Justin:  No, they probably wouldn't have preferred that. (laughing) I think playing it out on the up-and-up, this is the way it had to go down.  But you can't help but brainstorm about what else you could of done, and that was one of the things we came up with, was we could have waited.  We had an inkling that that's where it might have been.  But, I don't know.  Who knows.  If the person who found it had found it by then, we would have been stuck there and that would have been that.

Reality TV World: Based on the audio quality difference, it seemed like the clip where Phil was shown telling you guys that you'd be eliminated if you didn't find the passport and return to the mat before the last team checked-in was added in during the editing process.  What did Phil actually tell you before you left to go look for the passport?

Zev: That you need your travel documents to continue the race.

Reality TV World: So it was really that cut and dry?

Justin: Yeah, but we had a little bit of dialogue.  I think there's a separate clip that's up there somewhere called "A Somber Farewell" on YouTube.  You can see that we had like a two-minute dialogue.

Reality TV World: I know you talked a bit about it during your Elimination Station interview, but I was wondering if you could talk a little bit more about what you think happened to the passport.

Justin: I had it in this fanny pack that I was carrying.  It had our stuff.  We accidentally went into a monastery because the way the clue read made us fell like we had to go in there, because it said "to be quiet around the monks." When we went in there it was really dark, so I reached into the fanny pack to pull out the headlight that we had, and when I pulled it out I must have pulled the passport out with it. 

I just couldn't see anything.  It's pretty much that's what happened because that's where they found it. So we kind of know what went down. I don't know what I could have done to avoid that because that fanny pack was the safest place we had.

Reality TV World: After you left the mat when Phil told you that you needed to find it, we saw you guys get in the cab with Thierry.  Did you ever really think there was a chance you'd be able to find it somewhere on the course?

Zev: We thought we were going to go and get it.

Justin: But by the time we... There wasn't that much time difference between the first-place team and last-place team.

Zev: It was only like 26 minutes.

Justin: We really knew -- because of the way that the challenges were set up -- we didn't have much time to come back before whoever was last.  So we were kind of resigned to it at that point.

Reality TV World: Okay, so it took about 25 minutes between when you checked in first and when "Professional Poker Players" Maria Ho and Tiffany Michelle checked-in last?

Justin: Something like that.  It wasn't much.

Reality TV World: So did you even make it back to the temple?

Justin: We were on our way back and [Marian and Tiffany] checked-in so they called our [production] team that was with us and said at that point it was too late.

Reality TV World: What was the reaction of your friends and family members when they found out how you were eliminated?

Zev: They were shocked and sad.

Justin: Yeah, they were definitely devastated.  But I think they had some inkling of what was coming because there was a promo out there that week.  Neither of us bought a Roles Royce since we got home...

Reality TV World: Although you said you've come to peace with it, was it difficult to watch Sunday night's episode knowing how it would end?

Justin: It was harder in the lead-up I'd say. Zev?

Zev: Yeah, it wasn't that tough for me.

Justin: Actually watching it was not that bad.  But the morning we aired we both woke-up and were just wanted to crawl in holes and not look at anybody.

Zev: Well I want to do that most mornings. (Justin laughs)

Reality TV World: I'm guessing there's not much animosity and you guys are still really good friends?

Zev: Yup.

Justin: I hate that bastard!

Reality TV World: A lot of the time the team that finishes the leg in first place receives a prize, however there was no mention of you guys getting a prize during Sunday night's episode.  Was there a prize that they initially gave you but then had to take it back since you didn't officially finish first?

Zev: Motorcycles...

Reality TV World: Did that eventually go to "Brothers" Daniel and Samuel McMillen, who originally finished in second?

Zev: Probably.  We think so.

Reality TV World: It looked like Thierry played a big role in helping you guys go from last to first during Sunday night's episode.  Would you agree with that? How important do you think securing a good cab driver is?

Zev: It's very, very, very important.

Justin: It's such a big part of the race I can't even tell you.  It's a luck of the draw thing so it's a level playing field. But we had bad luck with cabs most of the race, and that time we got really lucky and had the best possible guy we could have had.

Reality TV World: You guys actually already previously just barely avoided another disaster earlier in the race when Justin dropped the clue on the dock.  Had that incident had any impact on how careful you guys were with your clues and other important stuff?

Justin: That was just kind of a different thing itself because I had the clue in my hand and I fell in the river. (laughing) It wasn't like a matter of forgetfulness in that situation, it was... I don't know, maybe there's a theme. I don't feel like the two are all that related. Then again, Zev might differ with me.

Reality TV World: What was your reaction when Phil revealed that somebody would be eliminated at the Race's starting line?

Zev: Oh man.  It was scary. I was scared.

Justin: It was pretty terrifying.

Zev: I did not like that.  It was not nice of Phil.

Justin: Nobody wanted to go home and face their family and friends having not left the starting line, so I feel for ["Married Yoga Teachers" Eric and Lisa Paskel].  But we were happy it wasn't us.

Reality TV World: When we talked to Eric and Lisa they thought it was an unfair twist.  Do you agree or do you think they were just bitter since they were the ones who were eliminated?

Zev: It was probably a little bit of both, but I think it was more bitter.

Justin: Yeah, I don't see how it could be called unfair.  I mean fairness...

Zev: Yeah, everybody had a one in 12 chance to find that license plate.

Justin: We all had the same problem.  So fairness I don't think was an issue there.

Reality TV World: Zev were you surprised at how well you did on the race? Did you think it would be more difficult due to your Asperger's?

Zev: A little surprised. I thought I was going to be the one freaking out, but it was my friend Justin over there. (Justin laughs) I think my Asperger's maybe helped me along the way just to keep me calm and doing what I do.

Justin: I'd agree with that.

Reality TV World: After you were eliminated, was there anybody you really began rooting to win the $1 million?  Was there anybody you didn't want to see win?

Zev: I think we maybe wanted ["Teammates" Herbert "Flight Time" Lang and Nathaniel "The Big Easy"] to win because they're doing it for their fallen friend.  We were happy with any outcome.

Reality TV World: What teams did you get along with the best? The worst?

Zev: We got along best with [Garrett Paul and Jessica Stout], but they decided to leave early. (Justin laughs) I don't know, everybody was just really good people.

Justin: It was surprising how well everyone got along. I mean when the race was happening everybody was in their own world and it was every team for themselves, but when there was downtime there was a lot of love on the race, for sure.

Reality TV World: What was your favorite overall experience on the show?

Zev:  Just the whole experience. The whole experience was just wonderful. My favorite challenge was taking the people around Japan.  That was fun, being a tour guide.

Justin: For me the most memorable moment was definitely Zev with those ducks.

Reality TV World: What aspect of The Amazing Race surprised you the most?

Zev: I didn't think there would be as much downtime as we had.  We only raced like one to three hours a day and then the rest is interviews and downtime.

Reality TV World: Was there anything that you wanted to make it onto the show that was edited out?

Zev: We had a shuttle ride in Japan that didn't make it on the show.

Justin: That was pretty fun but didn't get on there.  Anything else? I feel like they captured most of it.

Justin: Oh! There was that thing in Cai Be...

Zev: There was this night in Cai Be when this woman sang to me and I was talking to her.

Reality TV World: How were you cast for The Amazing Race?  Was it your first time applying for the show?

Zev: It was our first time applying and it was a dream of mine to go on the show and I guess we caught their eye and they wanted a good team for the race, so they picked us.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-zev-glassenberg-and-justin-kanew-dish-on-the-amazing-race-9726.php

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
A medkit manufacturer figures they got some free air time. If all the teams were issued medkits, then this is in the wrong thread; but I'm guessing the medkit was a Greylock decision.
On a different topic: did Phil over-step? Instead of telling them to go find the passport, he specifically said "Go back out onto the course." We don't know from the editing (and may never know) when exactly the passports arrived at the embassy (which is right next to the pitstop--below), but if they had gone there first they might still be in the race.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 09:06:54 PM »
This leg was filmed on a Saturday, it seems they made their way to the Embassy on Monday when they recovered their passports .. maybe we should check the hours of op?

American Citizen Services

Monday through Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Consular Section is closed for both American and Cambodian holidays and is closed to the public on Fridays. However, the American Citizen Services unit will assist U.S. citizens with emergencies 24 hours a day, seven days a week. U.S. citizens with emergencies should call the Embassy’s main number, 023-728-000. Please note that routine matters such as visa inquiries, notarials or replacement pages for passports do not constitute emergencies.

http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/visa_services.html

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
A medkit manufacturer figures they got some free air time. If all the teams were issued medkits, then this is in the wrong thread; but I'm guessing the medkit was a Greylock decision.

According to a former racer, that is the medikit issued as standard gear to all the racers. :)

Not sure why their publicity wouldn't reflect that though. ???
RFF's Golden Rule: