Author Topic: START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE  (Read 30137 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: START LINE ELIMINATION AND NEW TWIST IN THE RACE
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
So, if you were Bertrand van Munster (who is really a very clever guy), what would you do if you needed to assure that a repeat of the Lena debacle did not happen again? You would increase the ratio of clues to bales, that's what you would do.

Or ...

You would use hay that was not the same color as the clue envelope so Racers would have a better chance of spotting the clue.  Didn't it get dark while Lena was rolling hay?  The darkness would make it harder to see the envelope.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »
I think the only MORE infamous task was the Broken Ox...but unless they recreate that in the Philippines I think Haybales it is. One of the finest examples of "never give up" in TAR history.

I think the ferry/Flo task would not be as well known to the casual viewer, but the Ox and the Haybales certainly are. JMO though...

The Ox (or the Carabao) is the most epic task TAR had ever done IMO - simple, quick yet devastating. However, there's an open space that they can do that in Vietnam because of it's agricultural land (but oh boy, The Philippines should be where that task should be held nuff said ^_^). They did not tell how many switchbacks there are present right?
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
Does HAY grow in colors? :lol3:   :colors :colors :colors

I know, I am just delirious this morning....
:funny: :funny: :funny:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »
Question to ya'll... Have we ever thought that the switchback could actually be similar to the U-TURN or YIELD in exercise, and only sends a team to complete the task (somehow like a speedbump)?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »
Question to ya'll... Have we ever thought that the switchback could actually be similar to the U-TURN or YIELD in exercise, and only sends a team to complete the task (somehow like a speedbump)?

I raised that possibility on page one. Visiting all our favourite (or least favourite) Roadblocks from races before would be much more fun for all us diehard fans though.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »
Is the Switchback a means to pay homage to a previous TAR episode, or is it just an admission by TPTB that they've run out of ideas for new detours and have to start recycling the old detours.
IMHO its a cop out that will probably only be historically significant to TAR aficionados. :meow:
What's next? Will TAR 16 follow the same route and tasks as a previous season?

Maybe its time to bring some new creative juices into the race planning.   I'm available BTW.  ;D
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Jaime & Erik for TAR 16! Best Reality Couple ever!
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
Here's a novel thought for the scenario where the infamous haybales task is replicated:

It all depends on the ratio of clues to hay bales. The reason that most teams finished quickly was that the field started with 20 clues in about 270 bales. That gave each team  a 1/13.5 or 7.4% chance at getting one. That means they would have to unroll just 14 bales on average to find a clue. The odds on unrolling over 100 bales and not finding one are astronomical; it would not have happened if Lena was efficient in seeing clues in some of her bales, as there were 12 clues left after all other teams had finished and there should have been approximately 270 - 8 X 13.5 = 162 bales left. Up until that point, her odds of finding a clue in a bale (assuming efficiency on her part) were higher, but even then it had to be something like 12/162 on each try or still 7.4% each try. It should again take her on average at that point only another 14 bales to finish.

So, if you were Bertrand van Munster (who is really a very clever guy), what would you do if you needed to assure that a repeat of the Lena debacle did not happen again? You would increase the ratio of clues to bales, that's what you would do. Doing so would decrease the differentiation between teams coming out of this task, but that's OK since it will be a total BUNCHING for the ferry anyway. Even if they used the original ratio, it should still not take very long for all teams to finish.

If we hadn't known that the Poker Players were decoys I would think that they were the unlucky ones on the Haybale task who took too long too finish (ala Lena & Kristy) but were spared by a NEL thus they weren't on the ferry as the others to Estonia.. but they were decoys indeed..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:19:28 PM by spontaneousss »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
They were NOT seen on the ferry...which is one reason they WERE decoys.

Is the Switchback a means to pay homage to a previous TAR episode, or is it just an admission by TPTB that they've run out of ideas for new detours and have to start recycling the old detours.
IMHO its a cop out that will probably only be historically significant to TAR aficionados. :meow:

Maybe its time to bring some new creative juices into the race planning.   I'm available BTW.  ;D

They are already recycling locations from TARA and vice versa. I can see TARA using our locations and the contacts we have there...but you would think we could have the $$ to be a little more creative.

Cai be and the Mekong Delta anyone??

Me too, wp! I would be great at location planninhg, lol!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline spontaneousss

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Jaime & Erik for TAR 16! Best Reality Couple ever!
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »

They are already recycling locations from TARA and vice versa. I can see TARA using our locations and the contacts we have there...but you would think we could have the $$ to be a little more creative.

Me too, wp! I would be great at location planninhg, lol!

Well if that's the case then I  hope they use the "Holey Statue" task at Prague from TARA2

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
I think the only MORE infamous task was the Broken Ox...but unless they recreate that in the Philippines I think Haybales it is. One of the finest examples of "never give up" in TAR history.

I think the ferry/Flo task would not be as well known to the casual viewer, but the Ox and the Haybales certainly are. JMO though...

Yeah, I'm with the Haybales also.  Not that the Broken Ox couldn't be it, but in addition to the reasoning why it might not be it, I don't think they would recreate a past Detour for the new Switchback.

Regardless, the Broken Ox is the most infamous task in TAR history, ITA.  Even people who didn't jump on-board before that know all about it.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2009, 05:42:05 AM »
I think Lena and Kristy must be the most memorable early eliminated team due to that friggin roadblock. :lol:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2009, 06:28:40 AM »

Me too, wp! I would be great at location planning, lol!

Me as well! We should work as a team in terms of location and tasks <3 !

WP, I totally agree about what you're saying. Sadly, TPTB and WRP is starting to "run out" of amazing tasks... I think :(