Author Topic: Survivor: Africa's Winner Ethan Zohn Has Cancer  (Read 60173 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Survivor: Africa's Winner Ethan Zohn Has Cancer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »
The way Ethan and Jenna are facing this battle with courage and humor is a true inspiration.  This is what real courage looks like.

Sending love and prayers to them both.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 10:01:59 PM »
Add Ethan as a friend on Facebook and show your support  :hearts:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Done long ago for me...

But agree that more support during this is good!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 10:37:10 AM »
Survivor's Ethan Zohn Gets Good News in His Cancer Battle

Ethan Zohn received an early present this holiday season: a clear PET Scan.

The full-body scan performed by his doctors in Manhattan Tuesday confirmed that five weeks of radiation treatments just completed by the Survivor: Africa winner have done their job. For the first time since his battle with a rare form of Hodgkin's disease began last April, there are now no active cancer cells in his body.

"If I walked in off the street today, they would think I'm cancer free," says Zohn, 36, who has chronicled his struggle on PEOPLE.com. "This is the best possible news I could have gotten at this stage of my journey.

"I honestly believe that all the positive healing vibes everyone has been sending me these past nine months have helped," Zohn says, "so thank you to everyone from the bottom of my heart."

Stem-Cell Transplant
As wonderful as the news is, Zohn's journey is not over yet. Because his cancer has proven itself to be resurgent in the past – after three months of intense chemotherapy over the summer, cancerous growths were found in his body in the fall – his doctors still plan to move forward with a stem-cell transplant.

Zohn expects to be admitted to the hospital in the next two weeks to begin the daunting procedure, which will keep him isolated for 30 days straight. "With my history," he says, "its essential."

But Zohn remains positive. "I'm so pumped and excited. My docs are amazing," he says.

His girlfriend, Jenna Morasca, and his family are elated as well, Zohn says.

Morasca tells PEOPLE, "I always knew he could beat it. This is the best Christ-makah present anyone could ask for." Showing her usual sense of humor, she adds, "Except a puppy."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20326222,00.html

Online RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
Ethan Zohn Returning Home From Hospital

More than 200 former contestants celebrated the 10th anniversary of Survivor Saturday, but one alum couldn't make it – Ethan Zohn, undergoing what he hopes is the last of the treatments for cancer.

"He's somehow become, to me, our star, who represents the good, the bad and the struggle, everything about Survivor," said host Jeff Probst.

Zohn's girlfriend, Jenna Morasca, winner of the Amazon season, swept in for the event at CBS's studios in Los Angeles. "I've literally come in on the latest flight and will go home on the earliest flight," she says. "It's hard to be away."

She came with promising news. As Zohn undergoes a complete stem-cell transplant, Morasca reports, "He's doing okay. We're getting toward the end and we're hoping to go home [from the hospital] this week, but then he's still going to be on kind of a watch and in isolation for three months so we're going to take it day by day but in my opinion he is cancer free."

Difficult Times

But she says it hasn't always been easy. Morasca had taken to Twitter to chronicle her difficulty at donating platelets, writing on last week, "5th time trying to give platelets and the machine broke! Some1 is trying to tell me something."

She says now, "I think I maybe over-Twittered because think I got a little, you know, there were some really, really dark, dark moments that I don't think I was ready for. But now we're on the upswing so things are getting better, but it was a long journey and Ethan's the most amazing, toughest person I've ever met in my life." Zohn, 36, the winner of the Africa season, is battling a rare form of Hodgkin's disease. Chronicling his struggle on PEOPLE.com, Zohn says that after intense chemotherapy doctors have found no active cancer cells in his body, but the stem-cell transplant means a month in isolation.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20335936,00.html

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:48 AM »
Ethan on The Early SHow!! Looking great and talking about his work on early detection:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »
Good news:

NEW YORK, Nov. 5, 2010
"Survivor," "Bachelorette" to Race in Marathon
Cancer Survivor, "Survivor" Winner Ethan Zohn Will Compete with Ryan Sutter of "Bachelorette" Fame in NYC Race

(CBS)  Last year, "Survivor: Africa" winner Ethan Zohn was unable to run the New York City Marathon because he was still undergoing cancer treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma. So his friend Ryan Sutter, from ABC's "The Bachelorette," ran in his place. This year, they will be running together -- among the 45,000 people in the race -- both now in good health.

And on "The Early Show," Zohn and Sutter shared how they're gearing up for this year's event.

Co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez pointed out Zohn's famous curly brown locks are back since he shaved his head for chemotherapy treatments.

Rodriguez said, "I was talking to the organizer of the marathon yesterday and she says it is very much a race for survivors, people survived Katrina coming to run and the Chilean miner, Ethan, a survivor. Do you feel it is a testament to how far you've come?"

Zohn said, "Last year I had to pull out and was in Memorial Sloan Kettering. And I'm just excited to run past the hospital, not have to go in for a check-up or anything like that. I'll blow a kiss, but that's it."

Sutter said this year it feels "tremendous" to get to run with Zohn.

"We wanted to run together last year and everything happened with Ethan, and he sort of suckered me into continuing to run it," he said. "And I swore at the finish line I would never do it again, and here I am doing it again mostly because of him. It is wonderful to have him back and I'm excited about it."

Both men are running for cancer programs.

Continue reading here
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
Oh that is wonderful news!!
RFF's Golden Rule: