Author Topic: Cara & Jamie TAR 14 -- Second place  (Read 32223 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Cara & Jamie TAR 14 -- Second place
« on: May 12, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
Congrats Jamie and Cara, probably my all time favorite female team  :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Cara & Jamie TAR 14 -- Second place
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
Former Miami Dolphins cheerleaders Jaime Edmonson, 29, and Cara Rosenthal, 26, placed second in the race, the highest finish for a female team in any of the show’s 14 seasons.

Q: Second place is pretty amazing.
Jaime: We’re proud to be the highest finishing female team ever on “The Amazing Race.”
Q: Jaime, watching the episodes, did you feel you were a little hard on taxi drivers and other locals when you would yell at them to hurry?
Jaime: No, I don’t, because I am an extremely focused and intense person and I never lost sight that ultimately we are on a race. I have been to Asia five or six times and all over Europe and I never treated a taxi driver or a local trying to help me sight-see the way I did on the race, but I ultimately never lost focus. This is a race for $1 million, and there is a sense of urgency. And at the end of every single pit stop, when I went to pay my taxi and collect my belongings, I always apologized.”
Cara: I also wanted to say, as person who watched [the show] from my comfortable couch before leaving on this journey, I would watch former races and ask, “Why didn’t they do this? I would never have done that.” But the reality of this race is you are all cannons firing all the time. You are at full force at every given moment and it brings out of you your most aggressive and straightforward tone sometimes. So, for someone like Jaime who is typically already very straightforward, it is only going to be magnified and exaggerated with the stress of the race.
Jaime: I always acknowledged my behavior and in all my interviews I always said I get into a taxi and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde comes out. I can accept losing if I can compete. It’s really hard for me to accept losing if it is someone else’s hands, especially on that last leg when we spent 45 minutes getting gas and going to a surf shop instead of a surfboard fence. He essentially took it out of our hands, which is so much harder for me to accept.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/amazing-race-14-chat-4491/

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
Former Miami Dolphins cheerleaders Jaime Edmonson, 29, and Cara Rosenthal, 26, placed second in the race, the highest finish for a female team in any of the show’s 14 seasons.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/amazing-race-14-chat-4491/
Someone does not do their homework.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
I love them  :jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
I love them too and they were very entertaining and I think CBS would be crazy not to give them their own show  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
Trials and Tribulations of the Runner-ups
by Julie Woo  May 11, 2009 02:23 PM EST

Jaime, are you done beating yourself up for that last Roadblock?

Jaime: I don’t think I’ll ever stop beating myself up for forgetting Jesus.

Cara: It was not Jaime’s fault.

Jaime: I’ll always wonder if we’d had better luck with the taxi not stopping for gas, not taking us to a surf shop—if we’d had all that time, about 45 minutes, if it’d be a different outcome.

Cara: For Jaime to do as well as she did, to make up as much of the 45 minutes as quickly as she did, there’s absolutely no reason she should be beating herself up. She did awesome.

That’s true. They didn’t show your progress and then all of a sudden, you were almost done.

Cara: I know. They were really focusing on poor Luke’s struggle and on Victor, and Jaime disappeared for a while. She was working hard obviously. She got all those boards all of a sudden when it looked like she was still working on the first one.

Why did you have such bad luck with cab drivers?

Jaime: There’s no reason. It’s just bad luck and that’s why you could see my frustration build over each leg of the Race, because it was literally from the very first leg. Every time we had to put our fate in someone else’s hands, it never went our way.

Why do you think an all-female team hasn’t won yet, after 14 seasons?

Cara: I think a lot of the Race is based on luck. I think one of the reasons we were successful was that we never saw ourselves as “just girls.” If previous teams did that, I think they hindered themselves. We gave it our all every time and were proud of ourselves after tasks that were particularly physical. So much is based on luck though.

When you had to carry the 145-pound pig, would you and Tammy have been able to get the pole on your shoulders like Margie did?

Jaime: We actually tried. They didn’t show it. But we knew the proper way to do that task was the way Margie and Luke did it. Victor and Tammy didn’t try to put it on their shoulders that I saw. But Cara and I made an attempt. It was so heavy it was impossible with our upper-body strength. We couldn’t get it past our waists.

Cara: And we crouched as low as we could in that sand trying to get that pig on our shoulders, but we couldn’t. Jaime is much stronger than I am and I have these abnormally small hands…I literally couldn’t get my hands around the pole. We got in the cab afterwards and Jaime was like, “Oh, my God, I forgot you had carnie hands.” My hands were so small, I was holding on with my fingertips which were oiled, so it kept slipping out of my fingers. It was very difficult.

What made you want to go on the show?

Cara: That was all Jaime. Jaime’s been a huge fan since the very first season. I woke up one morning to a text message at seven in the morning saying, “Hey, do you want to go on the Amazing Race with me? You’re the other most competitive girl I know. We could win.” To which I replied, “Sure. What is it?” I had never watched it, but I am so glad I came to mind as the person she’d want to run it with because it truly was an adventure of a lifetime.

Was that the bond you had with Luke, because I hear he is a very avid fan?

Cara: I think we had several bonds with Luke and Margie. They are really amazing. We have family and friends who are part of the deaf community or otherwise handicapped community, who truly are handicapped because they don’t have a mother like Margie who pushed her son to be as developed as he is, and I think that it’s amazing to be in the presence of someone who gave everything to her son. We have amazing mothers as well, so we could relate to that relationship. He did have an amazing catalog of memories though, from like, 20 seasons ago.

Are you reading blogs and commentary about yourselves?

Jaime: Even though I was an Amazing Race fan from the beginning, I actually did not realize that there were—I’m not so much a computer person. If I have downtime, I’m reading. Luke is actually the one who told us on the Race about these chat rooms and blogs. When we first came back, out of curiosity, we looked, but a lot of it was not so much Race-focused but personal attacks on not just us but everyone. It’s not something I can take seriously or to heart because it seems petty or catty.

Cara: I think I called Jaime after I read, “I can’t tell the difference between these two.” And someone said. “Cara’s the one with manlike features.” We had a good laugh but haven’t looked since.

Jaime, you’re obviously very competitive and type-A, but do you feel bad about being depicted as an “Ugly American” in foreign countries?

Jaime: I’d say that I am very intense and focused. I definitely have tunnel vision. During the Race, I never lost focus of the fact that we were running a race and my first priority was getting from point A to point B the fastest way we could do that. And I’m a very straightforward person. And I have a tone so when I say something, my tone sounds different than—

Cara: The way she thinks she’s saying something—like, “All I said was, ‘Do you speak English?’” Like if the answer is yes, maybe he could help us, but the way Jaime says it [it sounds harsh]. And she thinks she’s saying it in a really nice way and will ask “Cara, what did I do?”

Jaime: It’s just my tone. My whole life I’ve talked this way and I’ve heard that before. But it’s definitely not my intention. But I watch every show and yes, I think we’re made to be characters that they want us to be and after every leg, I always apologized to my taxi driver or someone who may be helping us.

Cara: Even in Romania, when she had yelled at him for driving on the sidewalk like you saw, she was so overwhelmed with how much she had really been screaming at the man, Jaime went hysterical—crying, hugging this man, apologizing. It’s the way it works—that you don’t see every second.

I’ve gotten a lot of messages about why I didn’t try to step in. But you don’t have to step in when someone realizes and apologizes. So, we would try with me communicating. Often times, when you saw Jaime, it wasn’t the first time she was asking where we were going. It was after we had been lost twice. I’ve traveled with Jaime for fun and let me assure you, she doesn’t yell at people when it’s on our time with no million-dollar prize hanging over our heads.

Jaime: I understood that that was my role. And I had a feeling going on the show that I would have to give up certain things to live out my dream and my dream was to go on The Amazing Race. I was OK with the tradeoff.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/the-amazing-race/trials-and-tribulations-of-the-runner-ups-1043.html

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
I appreciate that it took Jaime/Cara 45 minutes to get from McGregor Point off the middle of the west coast of Maui going almost directly north for about 10 miles to a point near Mile Marker 16 of the Hana Highway (that's what I believe they are saying without being pinned down by the questioners). However, I can guess that it took 30 minutes for Margie/Luke and tammy/Victor to do the same stretch more efficiently. I think their net disadvantage from the taxi driver was about 15 minutes vs. Tammy/Victor and more vs. Margie/Luke. That relatively small amount did prove to be critical.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
I wish they would make it more suspenseful!  It seemed rediculous that Tammy and Victor automatically won.  I always love a little suspense!  I guess CBS has just decided that it is obvious who will win...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »
I appreciate that it took Jaime/Cara 45 minutes to get from McGregor Point off the middle of the west coast of Maui going almost directly north for about 10 miles to a point near Mile Marker 16 of the Hana Highway (that's what I believe they are saying without being pinned down by the questioners). However, I can guess that it took 30 minutes for Margie/Luke and tammy/Victor to do the same stretch more efficiently. I think their net disadvantage from the taxi driver was about 15 minutes vs. Tammy/Victor and more vs. Margie/Luke. That relatively small amount did prove to be critical.
My Hawaiian friend is convinced that Producers manipulate the cabs, that they rig at least one designated cab to be low on gas and that Maui is so small and everyone knows everyone else so there is No way the drivers did not know where they were supposed to be going or where the filming was. And also brings up the point that Cara and Jamie's driver was foreign, not a local boy. Was he hired by production or no? .. we'll never know.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »
I love them too and they were very entertaining and I think CBS would be crazy not to give them their own show  :lol:
Have Jaime yell at taxi drivers who don't drive the right way. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
......or speak English   :lol:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
......or speak English   :lol:
Have Jaime be the new host of "Taxicab Confessions" or "Cash Cab". :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
or make Jaime do the Japan Roadblock from season 12
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
or make Jaime do the Japan Roadblock from season 12
After all, they did deserve it more than TAR 12 teams!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
I wondered if the problems with the taxi in Hawaii were the difference between first and second.  Now I think that was probably the case.  Thanks.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
Thats the show that I was thinking of but had no idea what it was called  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 02:29:12 AM »
Amazing Race's Jaime and Cara's Taxicab Confessions: We're Nice Girls with Bad Luck
By JOYCE ENG
TV GUIDE
It was a taxi that was the deciding factor in Jaime Edmondson and Cara Rosenthal's advancement to the Amazing Race 14 finale, and it was also a taxi that was responsible for them coming up just short of the win. "So much of the game is luck and, without fail, we always had bad luck with the taxis, so it really didn't surprise us the final leg for a million dollars that we'd get the taxi driver that we did," Jaime tells TVGuide.com. The former NFL cheerleaders also weren't surprised with Jaime's "mean-girl" label. See what they have to say about their portrayal, as well as what it will take for an all-female team to finally win the Race.

TVGuide.com: So did you offend or kill some taxi driver in a previous life because that was just total bad luck you had.
Cara: [Laughs] I don't know! Maybe we were really bad taxicab drivers in our last lives because it was like that from the beginning [of the Race].
Jaime: We wasted about 45 minutes. Between getting gas, taking us to a surf, and he actually just pulled over to the side of the road and sat there. He had no idea where to go, so he called his dispatch, who, as you saw, refused to offer any assistance.

TVGuide.com: I didn't get that. Isn't her job to find your destination?
Jaime: That's what we were thinking. We were still paying customers and our fare was running up. I would believe the role of the taxi dispatch would be to help. Even if we weren't in a race, I would still expect that. ... It's really hard, even six months later, to have all the what-ifs. When Victor left the Roadblock, I had one surfboard left, so that shows how much time we made up when we were there, so what could we have done with an extra 45 minutes? I could totally accept defeat if it's my own doing — if I cannot compete and I've given 100 percent and I still don't win. But it's really difficult to accept it when you put your fate in someone else's hands.
Cara: That was incredible, and it was amazing how fast she did it. But barring some ridiculous circumstance — we were joking that we need Tammy and Victor to get a flat tire — we knew when they left that winning was over for us.

TVGuide.com: Jaime, you've built up a reputation as a mean girl, bordering on xenophobic.
Jaime: [Laughs] Apparently I'm going to be on Mean Girls Part 2! I was very, very frustrated by China because, for us, the problem with the taxis began on the very first leg, and you can't fault the other Racers for getting a smooth ride. What people don't see is that at the end of every single leg, without fail, I always apologized to our taxi drivers and I always showed remorse. I say things without the intention of being mean, but I say things very bluntly. "Hey, you speak English? You don't? OK, I'll find someone else."
Cara: Obviously, Jaime did not expect people in other countries to speak English, but we ask because you hope someone will say yes and help you. In China, when we were lost for five hours, someone who knew English helped us, but what we didn't know is that our Chinese isn't very good and there are so many different tones, so how appropriate that with Jaime's "horrible and nasty tone," we got directed to the wrong place.

TVGuide.com: They showed you apologizing on the finale. Were you annoyed that they didn't show any prior ones, or with how they chose to edit you?
Jaime: I knew that was my character for the show and I accept that. I know I have a tone and I know I have a very straightforward personality and it could rub people the wrong way because it happens in real life.
Cara: I think Jaime represents something inside so many of us where we all wished we had at times in our lives said what we really wanted to say. We're proud that we were ourselves from start to finish. I say really corny things and Jaime is going tell it to you like it is. If still you think we're mean, well, you don't know us. You weren't with us for 24 hours a day and Jaime is not a yelling lunatic for 24 hours a day!

TVGuide.com: Was that foot massage really that painful, Cara? Or do you have a low threshold for pain?
Cara: [Laughs] It was horrific! I don't like my feet touched. I've been training in ballet since I was 2 years old and I danced professionally, so I've had so many foot injuries. My very kind masseuse hit every single spot I had ever broken or injured, and for months after, Jaime can tell you, I had bruises all over the bottom of my feet. In my left foot, I actually had a pool of blood down the whole arch. I say my fiancé is very lucky because I'm the one girl who does not come home and say, "Honey, can you rub my feet? I've been on them all day."

TVGuide.com: What is it going to take for an all-female team to win?
Jaime: Luck. I don't think it has much to do with your skill level. There have been many skilled female teams on the Race, but it could come down to a bad taxi and that's luck.
Cara: Luck and maybe not running against such incredible teams in the final three. We can't give enough credit to Tammy and Victor, and Margie and Luke. They're very fierce competitors — Kisha and Jen too. They're all great and tough.

TVGuide.com: What are you up to now?
Jaime: Getting back to normal. It's been a very surreal experience. Now that we don't have a million dollars, we have to work! [Laughs] It's exciting to mark this one off my bucket list and see what the future holds.

TVGuide.com: Maybe they'll have another All-Stars season and you can come back and win.
Cara: [Laughs] Oh, we'd love that!

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/406147_tvgif12.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »
Ex-Dolphin cheerleaders talk about carrying pigs, eating scorpions on Amazing Race
By Tom Jicha | TV/Radio Writer
May 12, 2009
Jaime Edmondson and Cara Rosenthal didn't win The Amazing Race and the $1 million grand prize that goes with victory. But in finishing second, the former Dolphin cheerleaders from Boca Raton might have run the most amazing race in the history of the CBS reality series. It's not only that they had the best finish ever for an all-female team. They did it despite built-in advantages for their competitors.

Three stages took place in China, where the ultimate winners, Chinese-American brother and sister Victor and Tammy Jih, had a command of the language the others didn't. This almost proved to be the downfall of Jaime and Cara. They spent five hours wandering the streets of Beijing attempting to get directions from people who couldn't understand them. It put them into a hole they almost were unable to overcome.

"We each had 20-pound backpacks, we had on (theatrical) makeup that was burning our faces and we were in these bulky (opera) costumes," Cara said. "The bottom of our feet were bruised and bloody, but we kept going."

At times Jaime said to herself, "I can't walk another step." But rather than let down her teammate, she resolved, "If I have to, I'll crawl."

In the final stage, the three-remaining teams had to carry a 140-pound pig on a bamboo pole down the beach toward a luau pit. Tammy had a strong male partner in Victor. Luke Adams, who with his mother Marge finished third, is a strapping young guy. Luke figured the best way to carry out the task was to hoist the bar with the pig hanging from it on their shoulders.

Jaime and Cara also came to this conclusion but they didn't have the upper-body strength to get it that high, so they carried it at waist-level and had to stop every few steps to regrip the pole and regather their strength. It cost them quite a bit of time, perhaps the margin by which they fell short.

If that wasn't their undoing, a Hawaiian cab driver, who got lost, then had to stop for gas, was. "It was heart-breaking," Jaime said. "I could accept losing if it was because we couldn't compete but not because our fate was in the hands of a cab driver."

She expects she'll have nightmares the rest of her life, she said, wondering about the, "What ifs?"

It was almost as if the deck was stacked against the women at every turn. The one stage of the race in which they arrived at the pit stop first, they were told it wasn't really the finish line, that this phase would continue into the next episode. Nevertheless, they were rewarded off the air with a pair of jet skis.

CBS doesn't reveal the second prize but it is believed to be $100,000. Cara and Jaime, otherwise forthcoming and gregarious, went silent when the subject was broached. (A CBS publicist was monitoring the conversation.)

When not at a physical disadvantage, they were remarkable. During the round of four, when it looked like they were about to be eliminated, Cara aced one of their ickiest tasks. She devoured a buffet of scorpions, larva, grass hoppers and star fish.

"Cara was a rock star," Jaime said. "She ate them in seven minutes. They said it was the fastest anyone had done it. I was grossed out but amazed."

Since they got back and the show started airing, they get a rock star's reaction when people recognize them. "It's surreal that people know who we are..and care," Cara said.

Would they do it again?

The reply came in a chorus. "Absolutely."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/sfl-ppl-jicha-amazing-race-a0512sbmay12,0,5312022.story

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »
I have a new concept for evaluating the performance of Jaime at the critical ROADBLOCK. When Jaime/Cara arrived there, Luke had completed 10 of the 11 slots correctly and Victor had completed 9 of 11. It is reported that there were more than 300 surfboards in the pile. Let's just use 300 for guesstimation purposes. Here's my logic:

1. I believe there were 3 sets of the valid surfboards, one for each team. Therefore with 19 of 33 valid ones already gone, Jaime was searching for 11 out of the 281 total and 267 invalid ones.  She would have a probability of 3.93% on each one, taking an average of 25.4 tries for the first one and each succeeding one, then the cumulative total is approximately:
1st 25
2nd 50
3rd 75
4th 100
5th 125
6th 150
7th 175
8th 200
9th 225
10th 250
so the 11th and last try Jaime would be looking for one out of about 31 surfboards (differs from 25 due to rounding on tries).
In other words, she will have basically discard all of the pile to find the 11 she needs.

The contrast with Luke is that Luke is looking for just 1 out of 2 valid ones in the 281 total. This should take him 140 tries on average. The contrast with Victor is that he is looking for just 2 our of 4 valid ones in the 281 total. The first one should take him an average of 140 tries and the second one 70 tries.

So we discover that Jaime has to make twice as many tries as Luke and 133% of the tries that Victor did to find all her correct correct surfboards.

That means she was twice as efficient as Luke (taking half the time per try) to finish at approximately the same time as him. It also means that Luke being frustrated indicated he had no clue on the udnerlying mathematics of this problem since it would take many tries to succeed and the only way to win was to keep trying as fast as he could.

It also means that Jaime, who appeared to be finished minutes after Victor, was an average of almost 1/3 more efficient than he was.

My conclusion: Bravo, Jaime for one of the most outstanding task performances of any Amazing Race on that ROADBLOCK. It's too bad that the editing of the final task did not bring out just how incrediel your performance was.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:17:15 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
An Exclusive 2nd Place Detour with Cara and Jaime The Amazing Race
by Reg Seeton

After 14 seasons of The Amazing Race, the all-female teams have had a hard time finishing the race in first place to capture the million dollar prize. This season it was former NFL cheerleaders, Cara and Jaime, who broke through The Amazing Race defense to score an all-female touchdown to become one of the final three teams up for competition in the last leg in Maui. Although Cara and Jaime ran a strong, often emotionally explosive race through Switzerland, Romania, Russia, India and China before touching down in Maui, the former NFL sideline girls failed convert their Amazing race extra point for the victory in Hawaiian overtime.

After struggling on the beaches of Maui to transport a dead pig for ceremonial burial in the final Detour, Cara and Jaime forged ahead to catch up to the first place mother and son team of Margie and Luke and the brother and sister team of Tammy and Victor who were in second place. Although Luke was well out in front of the other teams during the final Road Block, which was a skill testing surfboard puzzle based on all the previous countries in the race, Victor breezed through challenge while Luke faltered, which opened a window of opportunity for Jaime who also passed Luke to leave the Road Block in second place behind Tammy and her brother. When it was all said and done for the 14th season of The Amazing Race, Cara and Jaime couldn't catch Tammy and Victor who hit the mat first to win the race and the million-dollar prize. But the all-female, former NFL cheerleading team did hit the mat in second place not too far ahead of Margie and Luke who Jaime helped get over the final Road Block.

The morning after the nail-biting season finale of The Amazing Race 14, we took an exclusive one-on-one detour with Cara and Jaime to find how more about the final leg in Maui, the amazing yet frustrating dynamics of the race, how they felt about their luck with cab drivers, which Road Blocks they would go back in time to repeat, and whether either Cara or Jaime will ever eat pork after getting a swine beat down on the beach in Maui.

THE DEADBOLT: So, Jamie, the race was emotional I take it?

JAIME EDMONDSON: Yes, it is emotional.

THE DEADBOLT: From what we did or didn’t see, what frustrated you the most?

JAIME: I’d say our luck with the taxis was very frustrating. At least it just never went our way. It went our way once to get us into the final three. That taxi driver actually did understand and he drove like he was in the Indy 500. But other than that one taxi, it just never went our way. And you can’t blame the other teams for getting the luck with the taxis because it’s really out of everyone’s hands, but very frustrating for me. I can accept losing because I didn’t compete. I can’t accept losing at the hands of someone else.

THE DEADBOLT: Cara, were you surprised that the cab company didn’t find the address for you guys?

CARA ROSENTHAL: No. By that point I was not surprised at all. With our luck, just through this whole race, for anyone to have been really helpful or knowledgeable about their own terrain and working track would’ve been far too convenient and too lucky for us. So at that point, I was not shocked that the woman wouldn’t help us. I was just like, ‘Wow.’

JAIME: It was like the road only went two ways, front or back, and it’s very frustrating.

THE DEADBOLT: So how tough was the laid back vibe of Hawaii compared to the other cities?

JAIME: You know, it wasn’t that he didn’t understand that we were in a race. It’s just that he didn’t understand until, actually, the very last ride up to the finish mat what we were saying to him, which was, ‘This is for a million dollars, sir. Please, this is worth a million dollars to us.’ You know, have a little urgency. Then he finally got it when he realized we were coming in second place. You know, I guess it was good he got it in the end. Better late than never, I suppose.

THE DEADBOLT: In what ways do you think your alliance with Margie and Luke helped you along the way?

CARA: I don’t know. I think that Jaime would agree that the way it helped us most is it enabled us to make a really wonderful friendship with them. I mean, the reality is our "alliance" was pretty limited to telling each other we were on the same flight. Then we were on the same flight when we told each other. They didn’t help us at the tasks. The one time that they did uphold our very loose alliance was actually an alliance the three final teams made at the point when we were heading to Russia.

And we thought that we were the three teams going to be racing each other to the final and we said, ‘We don’t care who it is if anyone is on our plane or behind us, we will all U-Turn them.’ And it just so happened that it was Mike and Mel and Amanda and Kris to save each other, and that was the only time we really had an alliance that altered the course of the race. Other than that, it was pretty much just sharing information. And to be completely honest, we shared information with Victor and Tammy just as often and as much as we did with Margie and Luke, and vice versa. They did with us as well, absolutely.

THE DEADBOLT: If you could go back, what Road Block do you wish you could’ve performed in place of the other?

JAIME: I would say I would’ve done the foot massage for Cara just knowing how much she despises having her feet touched and how painful it was for me to watch her in pain. So I would have rather taken it on. But it wasn’t an option because I had just done three Road Blocks in a row and we had to have Cara catch up and we couldn’t max out. We wanted to go into the final leg having the option of either one of us being able to do the final Road Block. So putting us at an even five and five and that sixth Road Block wouldn’t be ...

CARA: Well, we also didn’t know at that time that it was going to be a foot massage. We thought maybe a body massage and I was even a little bit anxious about that because I just - You know, I was a ballerina for my whole life and I’ve had so many disgusting foot injuries and I guess I’ve just created a mental paranoia, for lack of a better term, about having my feet dealt with, touched, especially with that massage. You know, she’s hitting pressure points where I can recall, "Wow, I had broken bones there. So I think that’s probably why it was so incredibly painful for me and I had a very bad reaction. Jaime can tell you; for about a month after we were like, ‘Oh, my God, when are your feet going to recover?’ Because they were still bruised and I had blood pools in one of my arches. I mean, it as not a pretty sight.

JAIME: Yeah, I would’ve done that one just so I wouldn’t have to watch her in pain. It was heart-breaking to be helpless and watching it, and I was covering my ears waiting for it to be over because you just feel so helpless. I imagine it must be what a man feels like watching his wife give birth ... I’m just joking, I’m pretty sure childbirth is even worse than that.

CARA: [laughs] Maybe not for me, because I’m not nearly as paranoid about that, for some reason, as I am about pedicures. But for me, I would’ve liked, just for the experience of it, to do the bungee jump. Jaime really stepped up to the plate. Before I left, I told my mother - My mother, bless her, she was like, ‘I don’t want you doing skydiving, bungee jumping. I don’t want you doing any of these wild adventures. I was like, "Mom, I’m going on The Amazing Race, these are promises I can’t make to you." She said, "If you don’t have to bungee jump, please don’t do it." And Jamie knew about that, because we were joking about it, so Jamie said, "Fine, I’ll do it, but your parents owe me a steak dinner," which they are getting her.

THE DEADBOLT: Are you guys ever going to eat pork after carrying the pig?

CARA: I actually don’t eat pork as it is, I’m Jewish. So it’s not an issue for me. Actually, one of my family members said a really funny comment to me. They said, "Doesn’t it just figure that pork and Jesus got you in the end, Cara." So it was a little inside funny joke I got a little chuckle out of. [laughs]

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105688/jaime_cara_amazing_race_interview.php

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »
I would give Victor more credit than Jaime and Luke, apskip, because he solved it all by himself.

Who knows how long the other two teams would have been stuck there if they weren't allowed to share information.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
I would give Victor more credit than Jaime and Luke, apskip, because he solved it all by himself.

Who knows how long the other two teams would have been stuck there if they weren't allowed to share information.
It seemed like Luke was just guessing at the end.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »

I think Victor did great and he did do the puzzle totally by himself, not helped by Jamie's sabotage attempt with the alligator which he immediaetly rejected as bogus. He did win after all. However, the only assistance Jamie got was on the last one (episode #1, church of san Antonio) from Luke after Margie urged cooperation. At that point it was too late to alter the outcome.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 10:23:12 PM »

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »

I think Victor did great and he did do the puzzle totally by himself, not helped by Jamie's sabotage attempt with the alligator which he immediaetly rejected as bogus. He did win after all. However, the only assistance Jamie got was on the last one (episode #1, church of san Antonio) from Luke after Margie urged cooperation. At that point it was too late to alter the outcome.
I think that if Jaime couldn't figure out leg 1's picture, Margie and Luke could have come in 2nd, and Jaime and Cara could come in 3rd.  THere is a big difference between $25,000 and $10,000.

Creepy