Author Topic: EP 8:East Coast live show updates and commentary *with a 39 minute delay*  (Read 49662 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Next week's Luke/Jen drama?  Looks exciting!  This might pinpoint the true villain of the whole race, depending on whom the editors try to make look right.  Can't wait!
It looks more to me that Luke's given that shady "bitchy" villain edit. It started in the U-TURN, and in Leg 5, now in China - possibly the worst. But hey, we now have an alternative with Ron/Christina. The strongest parent/child teams and the individuals making up those teams are complete polar opposites!
Mooyou, not so in my opinion, because the strongest parent/child team I've ever seen is Toni/Dallas. If not for the loss of their pouch In Moscow, they would have finished first, second or third in  Portland. They are not polar oppsites at all. I also disagree with you about Margie and Luke. I do not consider them polar opposites. Luke is inflammatory and Margie not so but on many other dimensions they are compatible.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Here's my comments on the teams:

Margie & Luke:  Wow, you had a really good leg this time!  And you did everything right -- except maybe the Detour choice.  Unfortunately, things might not go so well for you next leg.

Cara & Jamie:  Please find a way to calm down, Jamie.  Still, you're self-aware enough to realize that this is happening, so that's something.  And you two were smart enough to grab your bags while there was still time.  Nice job!

Tammy & Victor:  You didn't do a great job on the Roadblock, Victor, but you made up for it because LaKisha & Jen and Mark & Michael made huge mistakes and you kept your possessions.

LaKisha & Jen:  One of the big rules of the Race says you have to take care of your possessions.  You didn't do so, and nearly paid for it.

Mark & Michael:  And the reason why the sisters didn't pay for it was because you not only ignored that rule, but you didn't follow directions and got 2 2-hour penalties!  Idiots.

Really Like:  Cara, Margie, Tammy
Like:  LaKisha & Jen, Jamie, Luke and Victor
Neutral:  Mark & Michael

Belle Book

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
It just came to my mind that Tammy/Victor may be the luckiest team in TAR history - luckier than Dandrew as of the 8th leg.
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
It just came to my mind that Tammy/Victor may be the luckiest team in TAR history - luckier than Dandrew as of the 8th leg.
Really?  How do you figure?
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
They may have had jumped up one place in the last two legs due to Mark & Michael's time penalties, but it's not like they were saved from elimination. The only time they were saved was when Brad & Victoria gambled and lost on a connection.

I would say Tammy & Victor have created their own luck or misfortune. They're a strong team.
Just here to visit.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!

No, actually I think Mark & Michael are the luckiest team in TAR history -- or will be before Guillin.  Tammy & Victor has moved up places due to Mark & Michael's time penalties and LaKisha & Jen's error, but they were never really in danger of elimination those times.  As TARAsia pointed out, they only got spared once, when Brad & Victoria gambled on a connection and lost.  Mark & Michael were much closer to being Philiminated than Tammy & Victor ever were.

Belle Book

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Margie & Luke:  [...]And you did everything right -- except maybe the Detour choice.

I dare to disagree, I think they made the right choice, maybe it wasn't the funny detour, but I do think it was faster and also the one that relied less on luck, although I would've loved seeing Luke trying to do Karaoke :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I second that. Margie/Luke's judgment to do the DETOUR in Bangkok of Broken Teeth was excellent. They stayed in first place they got on arrival out of the airport by doing so and kept first with the ROADBLOCK. The DETOUR probably increased their diffferential vs. the seocnd place team.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
For sure they picked the right detour! Phil sais in his blog it took Marge 5 minutes to do the teeth. He also notes the RB boat ride was 45 minutes so it will be interesting to see what time they checked in.
I can't make out Phil's watch .......12:45 9:00?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
It looks like 1115am to me, which is consistent with departure from the airport at 920am, a taxi ride to the boatyard of maybe 30 minutes, 10 minutes for Margie on the Roadblock, 45 minutes taking the long-tailed boat to Peninsula Pier, 5 minutes for that DETOUR, and not more than 25 minutes to the pit stop.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
As has been discussed in this thread, it does appear that the PitStart time for Victor/Tammy was the result of some sort of editing error.  :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
It looks like 1115am to me, which is consistent with departure from the airport at 920am, a taxi ride to the boatyard of maybe 30 minutes, 10 minutes for Margie on the Roadblock, 45 minutes taking the long-tailed boat to Peninsula Pier, 5 minutes for that DETOUR, and not more than 25 minutes to the pit stop.
11:15 could be it  :tup:  .. or 11:45

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I'd lean towards 11:45. When M/L are approaching the palace, the taxi driver's watch can be seen: it looks like 11:35.

DavidJunior

As has been discussed in this thread, it does appear that the PitStart time for Victor/Tammy was the result of some sort of editing error.  :tup:

yeah, but they were let out around midnight in phuket

they were all on the same flight into bangkok, which was at 9:20 am, as apskip stated

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
I'd lean towards 11:45. When M/L are approaching the palace, the taxi driver's watch can be seen: it looks like 11:35.
Nice one Slowhatch!  :waves:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!

Why? They're either completely first, passing all other teams, or get extremely lucky that other teams bumbled themselves (Brad/Victoria, Mark/Michael, Kisha and Jen) Had these three teams be able to compete with each other minus all the other errors, we might be watching a different final five right now.  :lol:

Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
^^Well Mooyou, it won't be that different since two of the 3 you mentioned could've done better are in the Final 5.

PS: I already posted this on Survivor Sucks (sorry if someone else already did), but I think here's the video the teams sang to at the Detour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTAl1zZwuTM
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."

Why? They're either completely first, passing all other teams, or get extremely lucky that other teams bumbled themselves (Brad/Victoria, Mark/Michael, Kisha and Jen) Had these three teams be able to compete with each other minus all the other errors, we might be watching a different final five right now.  :lol:

I'm going to say they are one of the luckiest teams. They did avoid the strong team 9th place elimination, after all! (:;) Which is something I've rarely seen before.

Indeed, the way they always break waaaay out ahead of everyone else is becoming very annoying. :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis