Author Topic: TAR14 EP7: 'Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???' (Phuket, Thailand)  (Read 134163 times)

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Re: TAR14 EP7: 'Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???' (Phuket, Thailand)
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2009, 10:57:31 AM »
I understand why you think that way, Ashe, but I'm going with the idea that while Cara & Jamie are the ones who get the penalties, they still manage to survive the leg -- they're just unhappy that they lost first place due to penalties.  I think some other team came in last -- Mark & Michael or Mel & Mike.  And part of me hopes it's not Mel & Mike because they're a nice team, but there are rumors Mark & Michael may have been on a flight to Gullin, China and Puddin told us LaKisha & Jen are safe so that leaves me with Mel & Mike -- unless Margie can't continue on in the Race.

Belle Book

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »
Thanks everybody.  The picture orderings were not done with anything sophisticated.  Gator, you are correct, what I used was simply the shading on the frieze plaque on the gold stupa.  The later shots have the sun coming onto it.  More light equals later time.  I felt comfortable with that interpretation after cross checking against a cylinderical shadow line (see arrow) that creeps around the stupa.  But that line was not available in all the shots.  The actual time of day estimate for the shots comes from agreement between an azimuthal shadow line in the shots of Phil as mom goes down and my favorite altitudinal shadow line (see below, apologies to Margie).  I'm still annoyed by the absence of a clear GE indication of the Stupa's position.  If I had that I could narrow the window to a few minutes.  Maybe after the airing it will be possible.

Those cylindrical shadow lines can be just like the hands on a clock.  The solar azimuth was changing at a rate of 0.5 deg per minute when the shots were taken.  And a 6 foot diameter circle shows half a degree really easily.  At that level the shadow line's innate fuzz is the biggest uncertainty.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
You guys AMAZE me!  I wouldn't even know were to begin to come up with your calculations. You are the reason RFF is the best site!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! 

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
Nice work as always Chateau  :jam:
I searched for the Wat and pictures are few! Here it is on wikimap fwiw .. Tepnimit School. And this album is labeled Wat Thepnimit again, fwiw, I'm not sure its the same?

Any idea of what time frame Phil is telling the team about the penalty?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
Fabulous, Chateau!

Would Cara/Jamie (or Tammy/Victor, for that matter) have finished their penalty before Margie faints? I'd think if they were in view of the mat they would run over to help! That's a really narrow gap though!

Mm. Luke/Margie fourth again? *suspicious*

No, not Mel/Mike in danger! :( (Puddin you didn't leave us many options...)

Once again, great job, Chateau! Was wondering if it could possibly be on either side of noon, or have you taken that into account already? (If the stupa was in a different place the standings could possibly be flipped completely?)

Thanks Neobie!  The time window is straddling noon.  That is due in part to making a time estimate based on the Margie shot (the perpendicular is pretty much at solar apex for the day).  I got the location nailed down from this shot of Phil.  So the mat was actually off center from the Wat's main roof line.  We get to see an oblique view of the Wat's south face.  The clip with mom going down allows us to place the Stupa.  Sort of.  I would rather seeing it on GE though.  Is it hiding under a tree?

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
Shave and a Mustard:  Two Bits

What a great Fast Forward  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
Shave and a Mustard:  Two Bits

What a great Fast Forward  :lol:

:lol: .. your evil Chateau! See I keep getting the Wats confused as Chalong is nearby. You'd think Thepnimit would be more popular?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »
For those who believe that any teams is in the F3 because they were spotted leaving the airport in Beijing, the use of decoys is standard practice in Amazing Races. Who are selected by World Race Productions to be decoys? They draw from the 6th, 5th and 4th place finishers, all of whom typically travel with the entourage of WRP production personnel. So, that means that the reported spotting of Cara/Jaime in Beijing airport does not guarantee that they are an F3 team.

Since they are already an F6 team, if by bad fortune their penalty puts them in last place or if they get eliminated in Bagkok or Guilin, they would be avalable for decoy duty.

EDITOR'S NOTE- since puddin questioned my original statement (Margie/Luke), I checked and changed it to Cara/Jaime.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:25:17 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
For those who believe that any teams is in the F3 because they were spotted leaving the airport in Beijing, the use of decoys is standard practice in Amazing Races. Who are selected by World Race Productions to be decoys? They draw from the 6th, 5th and 4th place finishers, all of whom typically travel with the entourage of WRP production personnel. So, that means that the spotting of Margie/Luke in Beijing airport does not guarantee that they are an F3 team.
Sicen they are already an F6 team, if by bad fortune their penalty puts them in last place or if they get eliminated in Bagkok or Guilin, they would be avalable for decoy duty.
Where is this spoiler with Margie & Luke in the Beijing airport?

Offline Footballwife

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
You guys are amazing with photos!! :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
Okay, so we have Mark/Michael "possibly" in the China airport.  And Cara/Jaime in the China airport.  And puddin says Lakisha/Jen don't go home, to which I'm just going on her word (do not doubt the great and powerful puddin).  Beyond that, we have no further sightings or info on the other teams...correct?
And then we have the photos above, which by the shadows, show Mike/Mel coming in last...correct?
So we just need to figure out who got the penalty, how long it was, and who goes home.  Anyones crystal ball working, mine is in the shop :(
                                                              :duno:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
I think either Tammy & Victor or Cara & Jamie get the penalties.  But while I don't know how long the penalties are, I don't think that it's long enough for either Tammy & Victor or Cara & Jamie to be Philiminated.  Since the photos imply that Mel & Mike come in last, I'm going to say that they're the ones who are sadly Philiminated.

Belle Book

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »
Since the photos imply that Mel & Mike come in last, I'm going to say that they're the ones who are sadly Philiminated.
Or barely saved by someone else's penalty.  Maybe Mark & Michael's (which could just make them decoys going into Guilin).
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Are there even guesses on what the penalties could be?
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »

I'll guess.

Some team does not follow the marked route effectively creating a short cut.  They are docked the estimated time it saved them.  This is probably a very short amount of time (i.e., minutes).

As an added bonus, I think other teams follow the first team down the wrong path and are also penalized.

Gator 27
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:18:49 PM by gator27 »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »

PS - Because one team gets 2 penalties, I think the other penalty is for not following the directions. 

Take turns pulling the rickshaw
Walk to the next task (do not take a cab)

Gator 27

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2009, 07:32:49 PM »

I'll guess.

Some team does not follow the marked route effectively creating a short cut.  They are docked the estimated time it saved them.  This is probably a very short amount of time (i.e., minutes).

As an added bonus, I think other teams follow the first team down the wrong path and are also penalized.
Gator 27
Sometimes there is an additional penalty for breaking the rules, so teams will be docked more than just the estimated time saved.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »
I don't know if this helps much Puddin!

This shot was taken between 11:52 am and 12:03 pm (assumes November 15th).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »
Thank you SO much Chateau!! That is some amazing work, as always!! I never would have thought of that as being Tammy's hand either, I thought it must be Luke. You are the master!! :bow:

But those times give us a new perspective...

Any chance you can look at Mel/Mike on the street searching? Would be nice to compare to the rickshaw crews.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »
Thank you Chateau  :hearts:

I'd be interested as well as the Mel/Mike times

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »
I will say that I have reason to think that we will still have another task we haven't seen yet. They are in Phuket, land of beautiful beaches, right? No way we aren't going to see some beaches/water.

Mel and Mike: Casuarina palms and coconut trees... Indian food for the tourists... I'll hazard a guess that this is very close to the beach.

Edited to add: It's bloody PATONG.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2009, 11:37:35 PM »
If Mel & Mike are last, then the "We lost.  We lost." comments from the commercial makes a lot of sense if they ended up racing against Kisha & Jen to the Pit Stop.  I don't know if they would telegraph Mel & Mike's elimination that obviously.

I guess it all comes down to how quickly the medical staff can determine if Margie is fit to continue.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2009, 01:58:52 AM »
I was able to use the MapJack images to construct the shadow cast by the Tsunami warning speakers.  It ends at the white arrow painted on the street and under the truck tire in the MapJack image below.

This shot was taken between 10:10 and 10:30 am (assumes November 15th).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2009, 03:14:42 AM »
I was able to use the MapJack images to construct the shadow cast by the Tsunami warning speakers.  It ends at the white arrow painted on the street and under the truck tire in the MapJack image below.

This shot was taken between 10:10 and 10:30 am (assumes November 15th).

:bow: :crown          ... thank you Chateau!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »
If Mel & Mike are last, then the "We lost.  We lost." comments from the commercial makes a lot of sense if they ended up racing against Kisha & Jen to the Pit Stop.  I don't know if they would telegraph Mel & Mike's elimination that obviously.

I guess it all comes down to how quickly the medical staff can determine if Margie is fit to continue.

Yeah, if Margie turns out to be unable to continue Mel & Mike might be spared.  Or maybe Mark & Michael will have a penalty and thus Mel & Mike will be spared.  All I know is that LaKisha & Jen are safe, and I believe Cara & Jamie and Tammy & Victor are also safe.

Belle Book