Author Topic: TAR14 EP7: 'Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???' (Phuket, Thailand)  (Read 134170 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR14 EP7: 'Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???' (Phuket, Thailand)
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 12:20:51 AM »
 :lol:  You too can have your picture taken with a full grown tiger at the Phuket Zoo   :ascared

BTW, here's lefty!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:43:44 AM by Boingo »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »
A video of Lefty. And Jamie, the blogger that Hakushu found, also has a map of the zoo: the tiger is near the entrance and the elephant show is on the periphery. The title gorilla is probably there as well.

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 02:06:02 AM »

Teams take a walk on the wild side…or rather, the wild side walks on them.

- The detour everyone's talking about?

One team finds itself at the mercy of a slow moving Thai shopkeeper
- I think that its Cara/Jaime

A first place team finds itself in the penalty box—and their victory in jeopardy
- Another Heather/Eve situation? At first it looks like T/V having Romania all over again, but analyzing the line, they were already victorious or at victory already being jeopardized = pitstop? I sure hope its not T/V (man, their clues are obvious every week...)

and in the extreme temperature of Thailand, one racer collapses from exhaustion.
- We all know who that is! And I believe that they're last to arrive this time... She looks to exhausted to be first in the race.

I most likely would think that this is a NEL. Their task looks touristy - taking pictures with a tiger? being stepped by elephants? gorillas? Something I want to do when I go there, not Amazing Race-ish... and would TPTB like to have two speedbumps in China? That would be boring... The only time that this would become an elimination leg is that Margie would be incapable of going to the race after her heat exhaustion.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:12:10 AM by Mooyou »
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 02:25:20 AM »
Going into better analysis... Here's the leg for next week...

Next leg, teams leave Jaipur for Phuket

They first find a picture of a monkey for their clue... and it leads them to

a tea house (oldest teahouse in Phuket) ? (As proven by a WRP paper pictured) - DETOUR?

Teams encounter a detour: Enjoy Phuket Zoo's attractions for free, courtesy of WRP or something to do with shoes?

And then go for the Roadblock(?) - pull a traditional rickshaw to/from Rama IX Park(?) (Margie struggling to carry Luke picture) stroller or whatever you call with your teammate riding and walk to the confusing(?) streets of Phuket and proceed to...

Wat Thepnimit - Pitstop of the Race, where an amazing race contestant collapses - first time in the history of the show (Margie), and another MAY pull a Heather and Eve by arriving first and then gets a penalty (Tammy/Victor?) ...

--

Spoilers seem to indicate too much places... I don't think that WRP and TPTB would be that sadistic (unlike McKay in the Hue, Vietnam Leg of TARA3 = Death March leg) to let teams do a roadblock and a detour and pull themselves using a traditional rickshaw, just like what the blog said that they changed places quite some time...

Sounds like a light leg of the race similar to Novosibirsk... and to enjoy Phuket, they should have let teams wear mountain gear jackets while doing the roadblock, since they were stripped off almost all their clothing in the marathon roadblock in Novosibirsk...  :funny: :funny:

I wouldn't be surprised that future seasons would be visiting amusement parks already...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:52:08 AM by Mooyou »
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »
Pitstop is Wat Thepnimit.

From Jamie's Phuket Blog

Margie fainting is scary.  :(

ETA: I guess Neobie knows that already. Sorry.  :-[

ETA again: So the "pulling your teammate" RB from Rama IX Park all the way to Wat Thepnimit must've been what happened. That's quite a distance!

If my search is correct (Google Maps only :groan: ), then that would be like 20-35km away. I will be surprised if all the other teams can manage it then. It'd take more than 5 hours to reach there on foot alone so I'm guessing there will be a point where they'll retrieve the clue containing the RB that is nearer to the PitStop? But that is only if my search is right. lol

Edit: Checked the first few posts, is the pulling task an RB or a task where they take turns? I'm confused. But anyway I hope Margie is alright and it is lucky that they are at pitstop.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:01:29 AM by realshowfan »
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 06:42:15 AM »
Good job on the Pit Stop, hakushu8! Me knowing doesn't count (it helps if you've been there before!), but I'm surprised you could actually dig that out on an online search! It seems to be the only picture of the stupa floating around online...

Witnesses have seen the rickshaws up in Phuket Town, which is 4.54km from the Pit Stop. And while it's not 20-35km away, it's still probably too far for someone to be hauling his/her teammate! I'm thinking they stop at Suan Luang (2.2km from town), which is where we see Margie/Luke in the preview anyway...

Any guesses on the 'eksasai' they're 'supposed' to do in the Suan Luang gym?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:47:00 AM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
hakushu8, let me first say welcome back. It's good to have you back on board.

The address of Wat Thepnimit is Moo 1 Baanlaemchan, T.Vichit, Muang, Phuket 83000

I have an alternate address for Wat Thepnimit on Chao Fa East Rd, but since it is also in Vichit that's likely the town.

A more definitive local source says Wat Thepnimit (or Thep Nimit) is about 3km outside Phuket town on the road to Chalong (Chao Fa Road) in Tambon (sub district) Wichit.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:59:16 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 08:08:04 AM »
Here  is a story of a visit to Wat Thepnimit:

Jamie's Phuket - 05 July 2008

Wat Thepnimit

Wat Thepnimit (or Thep Nimit) is about 3km outside Phuket town on the road to Chalong (Chao Fa Road) in Tambon (sub district) Wichit. You can't see the temple from the road, though the entrance is quite obvious. The temple is behind Thepnimit School. When I visited yesterday morning, kids were arriving for school...

The temple was very quiet, as the local temples normally are. It's not a large temple, but as always I found some points of interest (if you like temples!). The main building was locked, as they often are - the local temples are not normally open 24-7.

Normally the temples have a kind of bell tower. Here the bell was in something like a pagoda, brightly painted with pictures of lotus flowers.

I had read on another website a story about a new chedi built at Wat Thepnimit about 3 years ago to house what is described as "Buddha’s relics". It seems many local people helped to build this new golden Chedi which is about 8 meters high and very golden indeed!

The Monks houses here looked very simple and there were cats and chickens running around all over the grounds.

You find "holy trees" all over Thailand with cloth tied around them and Buddha images placed among the roots. Here's one at Thepnimit temple:

Some of those cats I mentioned decided I was worth following. Maybe they are used to someone bringing them food. One cat would not sit still for a photo. If I moved back a meter to take a picture, it followed...

Then found a friend...

There are pictures in the white space above, but they would not copy for me. To see them, visit Jamie's Blog July 5, 2008 and look to the bottom:

http://jamie-monk.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
adding more clues:

TEAMS TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE WHEN THEY RECEIVE A FOOT MASSAGE FROM A LOCAL ELEPHANT, AND THE EXTREME HEAT OF THAILAND CAUSES ONE RACER TO COLLAPSE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," MARCH 29
"Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???" (Thailand) - One team finds that time is not of the essence when a shopkeeper hinders their movement, and others discover that a hurried pace doesn't always equal victory, particularly when mistakes can add up to penalties, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, March 29 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan is host.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
From Phil's Blog, might it go hand in hand with the upcoming penalty?

Really good to know so many of you are enjoying the fresh aspects of the show. I agree that this has been one of our best seasons yet. Being able to choose fresh locations and new challenges never seen before really helps but of course this cast is really starting to heat up...and it's only going to get better. Remember that Mat meltdown I told you about? Well, it's coming soon

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »

Really good to know so many of you are enjoying the fresh aspects of the show. I agree that this has been one of our best seasons yet. Being able to choose fresh locations and new challenges never seen before really helps but of course this cast is really starting to heat up...and it's only going to get better. Remember that Mat meltdown I told you about? Well, it's coming soon

maybe Phil's referring to a literal meltdown (Margie's)?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline littlewop

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

I think he's taling about Margie...starting to heat up...mat meltdown...sounds like what happened to Margie

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »

Another Blog/News posted on Nov 15

• Two contestants in a TV production being filmed by foreigners in Phuket are on the verge of collapse after taking turns pulling each other around Phuket City as they raced against the clock in the midday heat.

This was in ref to the Margie/Luke pic -- does taking turns mean this is not a roadblock, but a general task?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »

• Two contestants in a TV production being filmed by foreigners in Phuket are on the verge of collapse after taking turns pulling each other around Phuket City as they raced against the clock in the midday heat.

This was in ref to the Margie/Luke pic -- does taking turns mean this is not a roadblock, but a general task?

Good pick-up mwooden  :tup: . I'm thinking its a Detour ( 4 pairs of contestants) and perhaps the taking the pic with the Tiger is the general task because the teams were on flight with the photo of the "monkey" but we also have the Elephant massage at the zoo so? Maybe the gym has something to do with the other detour option? The herbal shop something Fast Forward? I have to go re-read page 1 now ......

eta: on futher reading Neobies info, it seems the rickshaws and herbal shop go together.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:27:38 PM by puddin »

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »
Wow penalty? First-place team? That totally sounds like Tammy and Victor to me, oh no.

And I hope Margie's alright! I think she should be okay.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »

I could see a Team using only one of their members (Victor) to pull the rickshaw to the PitStop.  Then they would incur a penalty for not following directions.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »

Good pick-up mwooden  :tup: . I'm thinking its a Detour ( 4 pairs of contestants) and perhaps the taking the pic with the Tiger is the general task because the teams were on flight with the photo of the "monkey" but we also have the Elephant massage at the zoo so? Maybe the gym has something to do with the other detour option? The herbal shop something Fast Forward? I have to go re-read page 1 now ......

eta: on futher reading Neobies info, it seems the rickshaws and herbal shop go together.

That makes sense to have the zoo be the general task (and first task as teams are so bunched there). I'm thinking it's kind of a "round robin" of zoo tasks -- check all these things off (elephant massage, tiger pic, etc) before you go?

There's a lot of info in Neobie's blurb, but I think the herbal shop and rickshaws could be separate.

Do you get the impression that the gym was just a staging ground for production or that it was actually used by racers?

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »
Perhaps the herbal shop holds the clue for the rickshaw task, and directs teams to pick up their rickshaw on the nearby Soi Romani?

Or is only one team held up by the slow shopkeeper? That would make it a Fast Forward or a Detour?

YES on the herbal shop owner being slow! (The older man outside who also speaks Cantonese, not the younger one at the counter who speaks only Thai.) You don't know how long I was trying to interrogate him for information! :res:

Offline goodyingbadyang

• RFF Full Member
  • I'm hungry
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
"... taking turns pulling each other around..." = the rickshaw roadblock

I feel like you guys read into things a little too much sometimes  ;D

honeybee

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »
It looks like Cara is at both the elephant "massage" task and the posing with a tiger task based on what she is wearing.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »
Sadly, after this one, the show takes a week off.  Which is going to suck, because this season has been one of the most exciting ones yet (at least to me)!  Even more so than TAR12, which I also thought was very exciting.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

honeybee

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

They are trying to determine if the rickshaw task is a DETOUR or a ROADBLOCK; because if only one person is pulling the rickshaw it would be the roadblock; but if they take turns doing it, it may be a detour.  It could also be a general task. (probably unlikely since it is very physically demanding)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »
?

YES on the herbal shop owner being slow! (The older man outside who also speaks Cantonese, not the younger one at the counter who speaks only Thai.) You don't know how long I was trying to interrogate him for information! :res:

You so rock Neobie for using your time off to run around Thailand and China for all of us!  :jam:  :jumpy: :thankyou:
I am jealous that you got to see the locations first hand!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2009, 02:41:29 PM »

They are trying to determine if the rickshaw task is a DETOUR or a ROADBLOCK; because if only one person is pulling the rickshaw it would be the roadblock; but if they take turns doing it, it may be a detour.  It could also be a general task. (probably unlikely since it is very physically demanding)
I agree honeybee and thought it was a very good pick-up by mwooden :jam:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »
I have a theory. From what I've read, Margie is suffering from heat exhaustion, not a heat stroke. Acording to the article on Wikipedia; Blood pressure may drop significantly from dehydration, leading to possible fainting or dizziness, especially if the victim stands suddenly. The rickshaw task is physicaly demanding, and it most definitaly would lead to Margie's attack. Combine this with the sighting of the rickshaws near the pitstop, I'm thinking the rickshaw task is a regular task in which they are required to pull them to the pitstop entrance.

In the case of Margie, this puts her pulling a rickshaw, dropping it to make a quick run to the matt, and stopping. All the sudden she's standing still. What happens next we've already seen.