Author Topic: TAR14 EP6: 'Alright Guys, We’re At War!' (India)  (Read 71986 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR14 EP6: 'Alright Guys, We’re At War!' (India)
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
Thanks TL, nice to finally see you in the TAR board    :jumpy:

<< HQ option once the video is done being fully processed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:25:18 PM by puddin »

NoluckBoston

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »
These belong here afterall ..
Still Kisha & Jen survive ......  ;)

Sticking this here .. from TVGuide

I assume they are just using a picture from India? They seem to have the same type of hat? either way I think they are safe. Time to go!   :ele:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
 :groan:  *yawn* same old, same old....    :lol:

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2009, 12:18:42 AM »
Thanks TL, nice to finally see you in the TAR board    :jumpy:

<< HQ option once the video is done being fully processed

I quite find this India leg very cultural among all other India legs... And I also doubt that Time magazine would spoil us with the next leg in Phuket, just looking at this episode preview makes me look forward to this Sunday's (Monday's) episode!  :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2009, 06:34:52 AM »
The lack of Christie/Jodi in that preview and the apparent late afternoon-ness of the elephant shot depresses me.  :(
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2009, 06:50:37 AM »

How timely, with the NCAA tournament opening today, that a Louisville jersey is featured.  Double bonus for CBS.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
The lack of Christie/Jodi in that preview and the apparent late afternoon-ness of the elephant shot depresses me.  :(

That elephant pic could be at sunup. All the teams arrive about 5:30 am. At least I am hoping it is sunup. I am trying to figure out about the head wraps. The pink ones and the orange/red ones look similiar. They have the gold on top of them. The green ones look different, and I dont see any gold on them. I read a lot about them this morning, but I didnt find anything definitive. The pink pair and the orange/red people have the scarf draped on both shoulders or around their neck. K/J don't seem to have that much material. I could just be that particular shot. The green one for now, looks more like what the Muong people in northern Thailand wore. The head wraps in Thailand seemed to be made of thicker material, for the cold.

In the background of the shot of the green head wrap, there is a guy with a motorcycle helmet on and lots of greenry. I never rememmber seeing anyone with a helmet on in India, but I do remember people in Thailand wearing them.  Jaipur is a arid or semi/arid region. That greenry could be a park, but could also be the much more lush climate in Phuket. I want MORE pics....lol

Btw, Puddin, I do believe you about K/J making it to Thailand, head wrap or not....
Matthew 7:15

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:24 AM »
Wait, so the Detour could go as follows:

Bike Detour - Mark/Mike (either a miscellaneous task or we just don't see Mark if the camel thing is the Roadblock)
Horse Detour - Mel/Mike, Margie/Luke, Tammy/Victor, Cara/Jaime (I seem to recall that they wore the same headdress as the others when they were looking for the cabs)

Also, notice the last shot on the pics puddin posted (see above). It shows Tammy/Victor wearing some headgear. From what I recall, they haven't worn something like that before, so it either means there is some task in India we're missing or they don't go until that task shows up.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2009, 07:38:09 AM »
Isn't that from the helicopters at Los Alamitos base?

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
Isn't that from the helicopters at Los Alamitos base?

Oh. LOL. Sorry.

OMG. Just remembered: Unless there was an unaired Fast Forward this leg, wouldn't that mean that the first Fast Forward is most likely next leg?
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »

That elephant pic could be at sunup. All the teams arrive about 5:30 am. At least I am hoping it is sunup. I am trying to figure out about the head wraps. The pink ones and the orange/red ones look similiar. They have the gold on top of them. The green ones look different, and I dont see any gold on them. I read a lot about them this morning, but I didnt find anything definitive. The pink pair and the orange/red people have the scarf draped on both shoulders or around their neck. K/J don't seem to have that much material. I could just be that particular shot. The green one for now, looks more like what the Muong people in northern Thailand wore. The head wraps in Thailand seemed to be made of thicker material, for the cold.

In the background of the shot of the green head wrap, there is a guy with a motorcycle helmet on and lots of greenry. I never rememmber seeing anyone with a helmet on in India, but I do remember people in Thailand wearing them.  Jaipur is a arid or semi/arid region. That greenry could be a park, but could also be the much more lush climate in Phuket. I want MORE pics....lol

Btw, Puddin, I do believe you about K/J making it to Thailand, head wrap or not....

Dr. Rox,
You may not be aware of the flight schedules. The first flight from Delhi into Jaipur does not arrive until 0630 and the second 0645. Then there would be the typical 30 mintues to get the camera and sound crew set up and ready to go. Finally, the airport is 8 miles from Jaipur. That sounds close, but if you have ever been there(you probably have; I definitely have) the outskirts have the traffic congestion and chaos of all large Indian cities. It could take an hour to get to the elephants. I would do the camels first since it does not require navigating through the city to get there. but assuming it is elephants first, then it would be at least 0800 before anything could reasonably happen.

EDITOR's NOTE - I subsequently discovered that sunrise in Jaipur was 0645 on Nov. 13 and 0646 on Nov. 14. All of India is one time zone, which means that Jaipur is relatively west within that time zone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:53:15 AM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2009, 09:00:53 AM »

Dr. Rox,
You may not be aware of the flight schedules. The first flight from Delhi into Jaipur does not arrive until 0630 and the second 0645. Then there would be the typical 30 mintues to get the camera and sound crew set up and ready to go. Finally, the airport is 8 miles from Jaipur. That sounds close, but if you have ever been there(you probably have; I definitely have) the outskirts have the traffic congestion and chaos of all large Indian cities. It could take an hour to get to the elephants. I would do the camels first since it does not require navigating through the city to get there. but assuming it is elephants first, then it would be at least 0800 before anything could reasonably happen.

You are most certainly correct on the arrival times in Jaipur, apskip. I had the arrival time in Delhi, 0050, in my mind. Thanks for the correction. They are 4-5 weeks away from the winter solstice and 8 degrees above the equator. I will have to look up when sunrise is then and see how close it is to sunup.

Tammy/Victor, Mel/Mike and Luke/Margie wear the orange/red head wraps and scarves. Jamie/Cara wear the pink or magenta head wrap and scarves. I assume that is part of the "Begging for Rupees" for the poor detour. Mark/Michael are doing the other side of the detour it seems to me, the bicycle "moving van" deal.

I haven't the foggiest idea where the speed bump comes in.......whether it is first, last or in the middle. I just hope it is first and they can get it done quick. The long shadows in the camel task, the roadblock, look to me to be later in the day than the detour.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:06:52 AM by DrRox »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
In the background of the shot of the green head wrap, there is a guy with a motorcycle helmet on and lots of greenry. I never rememmber seeing anyone with a helmet on in India, but I do remember people in Thailand wearing them. 

I see helmets in India... must be a new law.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »
I haven't the foggiest idea where the speed bump comes in.......whether it is first, last or in the middle. I just hope it is first and they can get it done quick. The long shadows in the camel task, the roadblock, look to me to be later in the day than the detour.

This picture of the camel task is very early - I figure around 7:45 am just after the sun rises above the hills - so about 50 minutes after the official sunrise.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
In the background of the shot of the green head wrap, there is a guy with a motorcycle helmet on and lots of greenry. I never rememmber seeing anyone with a helmet on in India, but I do remember people in Thailand wearing them. 

I see helmets in India... must be a new law.

Thank you for the reference photo, walking pneumonia. I couldn't see the forrest for the trees......

Offline raim

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »
Trying to figure out this cagey "smokes" "bucket" and the image of LaKisha with the camel at the roadblock. Came across an interesting http://www.indiamike.com/india/rajasthan-f26/bikaner-camel-safari-t2072/ post about a man who both smokes through his ears and whistles through his nose (as we saw on the extended commercial):
"Unfortunately we missed the Ear Smoking Man. I note that he can also whistle through his nose. It may be that the priests at the rat temple thought that this array of talents posed an unacceptable risk of competition?"

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »
I was wondering about the smokes thing too.

Remember that it is apparently something to do with camel FEED, maybe they have to transport/move some?

*As the race heats up, Teams face a roadblock made of camel feed
-One racer surprises their teammate and smokes the Roadblock when they think outside the bucket.

:camel  << may be my most favorite emotican ever!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »
I just saw a preview with the racers carrying buckets to feed the camels but of course was not recording  :groan:

eta: also to note Mark and Mel for the Roadblock as well

anyway .. the small strip picture I believe is  Jamie carrying a bucket
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:24:01 AM by puddin »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
They use painted elephants at the Amber Fort to take tourists up the hill to the fort. I think the CBS preview photo is from the elephant stables near the fort.

My guess is airport to Amber Fort - do "feed the camel" roadblock - Christie and Jodi do "Paint Your Pony Elephant" Speedbump near the fort - then downtown for more fun in India.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
The stuff the bros. were carting looked similar to camel feed (pic, quicktime pano), but that's probably a coincidence.

Offline raim

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
If you literally just think outside the bucket, I guess you could carry a lot more straw in your arms than in a small bucket like the one shown. But smokes is such an odd choice for their phrasing not to be significant, no?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
If you literally just think outside the bucket, I guess you could carry a lot more straw in your arms than in a small bucket like the one shown. But smokes is such an odd choice for their phrasing not to be significant, no?
perhaps said racer sets the feed on fire?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2009, 02:44:16 AM »
Well I wouldn't think you would carry "straw" in a bucket to feed a camel. It has to be something like corn, oats or grain sorghum. What ever kind of grain they feed camels in India. Also, maybe instead of taking the feed to the camel, one team took the camel to the feed. I know it doesn't make much sense, just trying to figure out the thinking outside the bucket or smokin the roadblock. It could mean that a team hauled a "sack" of feed to the camel and then put it in buckets, thereby only making one trip to whereever the feed was stored.

I still dont see where the "smokin" comes in.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
From the extended preview (video later)

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »

Amber Fort in the background! TAR1 homage!  :hearts:

Compare photo above with this one:

Maotha Lake (the part still with water) is at the northeastern side, while Mike seems to be standing at the southeastern part of the fort there.
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.