Author Topic: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)  (Read 95553 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)
« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »
I have a really good copy if anyone has screencap requests?

fwiw the gear worn was ..

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/en-EU/AboutMountainHardwear.aspx

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
Amanda and Kris - That. Must. Really. Suck. I mean, it's just so hard, struggling with the first Detour, changing tasks, struggling again looking for the house, when they were finally done they realised they were U-turned, and had to go back to the difficult task they abandoned in the first place. Sigh, I just felt so sad, and so bad for them! Yet they persevered all the way. Why must my favourite team U-turn the other favourite team! Now I'm reminded of TAR 12 when Lorena and Jason went out the same way... I'll really miss Amanda and Kris, they were so sweet =(
That was tempered for me somewhat by their bitching about how "shady" it was, and then totally failing to realize who'd done it to them.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »
I didn't find any of their behavior bad or annoying this leg, Ashe! Had I been in their shoes and gotten U-turned the same way, I know I would've reacted more negatively than that. They just accepted it with minimal squabbling, which only speaks well of them. :'(

And I was very annoyed that CBS continued to make it look like Amanda was being a wimpy, whiny weakling. Many other teams have worked similarly at tasks like the Stack Detour (one grabs a piece of wood, the other stacks), and they weren't edited to look as though one teammate wasn't pulling their weight. (:;)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2009, 04:51:05 PM »
all i can picture when i read the title of this thread was mike and mel and mark and mike and who ever the other team was walking down the streets with those doors / window shutters, like gypsie going to build a fourtountelling house..omg lol
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
I didn't find any of their behavior bad or annoying this leg, Ashe! Had I been in their shoes and gotten U-turned the same way, I know I would've reacted more negatively than that. They just accepted it with minimal squabbling, which only speaks well of them. :'(

And I was very annoyed that CBS continued to make it look like Amanda was being a wimpy, whiny weakling. Many other teams have worked similarly at tasks like the Stack Detour (one grabs a piece of wood, the other stacks), and they weren't edited to look as though one teammate wasn't pulling their weight. (:;)

I felt so bad for them.  :'( I would have been a lot more vocal and not nearly as nice.  :-[
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »
I think its easy to sit on your chair at home and judge the teams when really, we don't know what Kris and Amanda's strategy was. I mean come on........ if a challenge calls for strength then it makes sense for the obvious to use his strength, whos going to get through the challenge faster. Amanda rocked last weeks Roadblock, that is where she shined. Now that they are gone we might never know what else Amanda was capable of.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Here are my rankings of the teams after this leg:

Christie & Jodi -- wow!  First place this leg, and it was well-earned!  They were right to go to the Internet cafe to get flight information and things only went well for them from there!

LaKisha & Jen -- another fine job from them, but they could've done better with the Roadblock.  Still, a fine job from them!

Tammy & Victor -- much better this leg!  Nice recovery from the disaster of the previous leg!  Did well with the Detour and Roadblock!  They regained my affection!

Margie & Luke -- I can see the strategy behind the U-Turn.  They hadn't been allied with Amanda & Kris, and the dating couple was stronger than Mel & Mike.  Still, it was sad to see them use it on the dating couple.

Jamie & Cara -- a very good job, even when some of the wall went down.  And it was real funny to see them pretend to be Lufthansa travel agents!   :lol:

Mel & Mike -- didn't do so well because you switched Detours and got lost at the Construct Detour.  But you still did a decent job.

Mark & Michael -- wow, you guys really need help both with your navigational skills and with your cluelessness!  You got lost on the way to the Detour, you switched Detours and had all kinds of trouble with the Construct one, and finally you ran out of money!  You were lucky Amanda & Kris got the U-Turn, or you might've been toast!

Philiminated:  Amanda & Kris.  Okay, so you weren't the most interesting team, but you didn't fight.  Still, it was sad to see you go home.

Love:  Cara & Jamie, Tammy & Victor
Like:  Christie & Jodi, LaKisha & Jen, Margie & Luke and Mel & Mike.
Neutral:  Mark & Michael

Belle Book

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »
The sign reads, as best I can figure it: ВСПОМНИТЕ ЭТО ПИСЬМО (Remember that letter)
(I used Windows Character Map, plugging in one letter at a time. There's got to be an easier way  ;D)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »
Amanda and Kris - That. Must. Really. Suck. I mean, it's just so hard, struggling with the first Detour, changing tasks, struggling again looking for the house, when they were finally done they realised they were U-turned, and had to go back to the difficult task they abandoned in the first place. Sigh, I just felt so sad, and so bad for them! Yet they persevered all the way. Why must my favourite team U-turn the other favourite team! Now I'm reminded of TAR 12 when Lorena and Jason went out the same way... I'll really miss Amanda and Kris, they were so sweet =(
That was tempered for me somewhat by their bitching about how "shady" it was, and then totally failing to realize who'd done it to them.

:res:

I think its easy to sit on your chair at home and judge the teams when really, we don't know what Kris and Amanda's strategy was. I mean come on........ if a challenge calls for strength then it makes sense for the obvious to use his strength, whos going to get through the challenge faster. Amanda rocked last weeks Roadblock, that is where she shined. Now that they are gone we might never know what else Amanda was capable of.

:tup:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
Let's look at past Yields and U-TURNs -

When Colin and Christie got Yielded, they got angry for the next few legs with Chip and Kim and wanted to beat them in EVERYTHING.

When Ron and Kelly got Yielded, they drew on Rob and Amber's face.

When Weaver Family got Yielded, they called the Paolos and Linz names and it wasn't very nice.

When Danielle and Dani got Yielded, they cried and broke down.

When MoJo got Yielded, they became very aggressive about it and flipped off BJ and Tyler.

When Lyn and Karlyn got Yielded, Karlyn flipped off Dustin and Kandice.

When Eric and Danielle got Yielded by Dustin and Kandice and Oswald and Danny, you knew they did alot of trash talking and called them some really nasty names.

From past history shows, only Lorena and Jason managed to take their U-TURN with a stride and continue to race well and in peace with each other. A zillion other teams behaved 18409328 times worst than Amanda and Kris. Now, where did the "bitching" and the "shady" part from Amanda and Kris came from? I didn't see it?

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
It's a game, but when you're tired and get to the next clue box, the last thing you want to see is your picture on the sign knowing that you have to wait or you have to do the other detour. It can be very deflating to see you've been Yielded or U-Turned. As we've seen, the Yield or U-Turn can be the death knell, especially in Lorena & Jason's and Amanda & Kris' case. The others? Teams have recovered to come back, especially in Team Alabama's case.

I've talked to Lyn and she now takes it in stride. She says Karlyn is still bitter about the Yield. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »
Yakc's chart for the latest episode and confirms, in graphic form, what we saw last night: that the RB made little difference, that most of the flight advantage was gobbled up by HoO, and that changing Detours was the killer.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2009, 10:48:16 PM »
It's a game, but when you're tired and get to the next clue box, the last thing you want to see is your picture on the sign knowing that you have to wait or you have to do the other detour. It can be very deflating to see you've been Yielded or U-Turned. As we've seen, the Yield or U-Turn can be the death knell, especially in Lorena & Jason's and Amanda & Kris' case. The others? Teams have recovered to come back, especially in Team Alabama's case.

I've talked to Lyn and she now takes it in stride. She says Karlyn is still bitter about the Yield. :lol:

Lyn and Karlyn can think what they choose, but the cold fact is that they survived that YIELD in Morocco and although Dustin/Kandice just barely survived that episode they were too far back to catch up the next leg in Barcelona. Editing makes it appear that it was bad karma from the YIELD catching up with Dustin/Kandice but in reality it was just lack of attention to various markers along the road to the olive grinding presses.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2009, 05:12:16 AM »
Now, where did the "bitching" and the "shady" part from Amanda and Kris came from? I didn't see it?
They both called it "shady" the moment they saw they'd been U-Turned, and then called all the other teams (probably because they didn't know the exact culprits) "conniving," and then thought they were entitled to not being U-Turned because they'd been nice to everyone.  Had they taken that as flattery for their abilities like Lorena & Jason did, I'd have had more respect for them in that instant.

But you know what?  I'll just say one more thing below this sentence, and then you can all return to your Amanda & Kris tongue-bathing.

Oh, whatever.  I did like them a lot, in spite of Amanda's "useless team member" edit, but they were the team I liked the least and was interested in the least, so I'm glad they hit the bricks this week.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »

Lyn and Karlyn can think what they choose, but the cold fact is that they survived that YIELD in Morocco and although Dustin/Kandice just barely survived that episode they were too far back to catch up the next leg in Barcelona. Editing makes it appear that it was bad karma from the YIELD catching up with Dustin/Kandice but in reality it was just lack of attention to various markers along the road to the olive grinding presses.

This is off-topic. But Dustin and Kandice got pawned by bad karma for all you know for the leg they used their Yield on the Lyns. :funny:

And they lost to Eric and Danielle for Yielding them and buying a Yield on them too. Bad karma as well. Karma bites best. :funny: :yess:

They both called it "shady" the moment they saw they'd been U-Turned, and then called all the other teams (probably because they didn't know the exact culprits) "conniving," and then thought they were entitled to not being U-Turned because they'd been nice to everyone.  Had they taken that as flattery for their abilities like Lorena & Jason did, I'd have had more respect for them in that instant.

:funny: Very shady and bad bitching from Amanda and Kris indeed. Awesome explaination. :res:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »
it was shady there was no way to tell who did it  so they could have been talking about the prodution team and the fact that it was a blind u turn, shady.. i think they handeled it realy well , i did not realy notice this team that much un till this week , and i realy like them i hope they had fun and can't wait to here ther interview..

love the red heads, and mike and mel
like  the 2 sisters
the blonds r ok so r mike and mark
hate tammy and victor
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:33 PM »
New leaderboard from Joab!! :hearts:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2009, 12:30:24 AM »
Quote from: Honeybee
- I do think that this shot was taken early in the morning, but it could have been shot before any teams had even arrived in Siberia, for promotional purposes/added shots.  Later, all of the shots of teams in the carts are from a camera attached to the front of the cart looking back at them.  So this time does not necessarily mean that is when they performed the roadblock.
Nicely done.  :tup: We now know the dam opened at 0830 and the RB was last. Even the demonstration shoes matched the promo shoes.  :lol:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
ty for the leader board. i though marg and luke had come in 4th the last 3 x in a row..i was right. also i for got they one the first leg. so ty ty ty for the leader board... :hugs:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: March 11, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »
The sign reads, as best I can figure it: ВСПОМНИТЕ ЭТО ПИСЬМО (Remember that letter)
(I used Windows Character Map, plugging in one letter at a time. There's got to be an easier way  ;D)

there is....  :lol:   open the "Regional and Language Options" in Windows Control Panel.  Click on "Languages" tab.  Click on "Details..." button (which opens up "Text Services and Input Languages" box.   Click "Add..." and select Russian.  This will add a Russian (Cyrillic) keyboard input.

Next Google the web for a layout of a Cyrillic keyboard to see which charcters are assigned to the keys on your keyboard.  Switch to the Russian keyboard in Windows and type in the Cyrillic characters with one key stroke.  Ta-da!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #270 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
Cool trick боинго!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »
All I've got in the dropdown box is English, no foreign languages. I'm guessing that when I installed Vista I left out foreign keyboard support. I'll grab the install disc and see what I can figure out (something to do  ;D). In the meantime, I've found a virtual keyboard and I plug the results into NiceTranslator, my favorite of the moment.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »

there is....  :lol:   open the "Regional and Language Options" in Windows Control Panel.  Click on "Languages" tab.  Click on "Details..." button (which opens up "Text Services and Input Languages" box.   Click "Add..." and select Russian.  This will add a Russian (Cyrillic) keyboard input.

Next Google the web for a layout of a Cyrillic keyboard to see which charcters are assigned to the keys on your keyboard.  Switch to the Russian keyboard in Windows and type in the Cyrillic characters with one key stroke.  Ta-da!

Well, if I knew where my control panel was, :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:10 PM »
All I've got in the dropdown box is English, no foreign languages. I'm guessing that when I installed Vista I left out foreign keyboard support. I'll grab the install disc and see what I can figure out (something to do  ;D). In the meantime, I've found a virtual keyboard and I plug the results into NiceTranslator, my favorite of the moment.
These are great detective tools Slowhatch and Boingo ,, we really need a place to store these so they don't get lost :jam:
And haha I'm bored too, come on CBS give us a preview :crybabe:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »

there is....  :lol:   open the "Regional and Language Options" in Windows Control Panel.  Click on "Languages" tab.  Click on "Details..." button (which opens up "Text Services and Input Languages" box.   Click "Add..." and select Russian.  This will add a Russian (Cyrillic) keyboard input.

Well, if I knew where my control panel was, :funny:
Try start>>search>>Regional and Language Options  :sucks