Author Topic: Promo Screencaps  (Read 84148 times)

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Re: Promo Screencaps
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:52 AM »

I found what I think is a boat shed here in Interlaken which looks a bit similar the group of buildings on the waters edge in the photo. It could be rather than a plaza it is a promanade or similar that they are riding along somewhere along the river connecting the two lakes

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:40 AM »
Is it possible that maybe they make them drive from Interlaken to Salzburg.

I did some driving directions on the European version of Mapquest, the trip takes 5 hr 40 minutes, Interlaken to Salsburg. The routing takes them across the Rhine River from Vaduz, Liechtenstein, btw. If in fact that they do drive from Interlaken to Salzburg and do tasks in Germany, then we have our final country.

Continuing on the routing, Obermaiselstein seems to be an acceptabe diversion from the Autobahn for tasks and then after that, back on the Autobahn to Salzburg. Going to Obermaiselstein gets the teams farther north of the spine of the Alps and at lower altitude, which might explain why there is no snow there yet and no huge peaks in the background of the promos of some tasks. Taking the diversion off the Autobahn to Obermaiselstein and back to the Autobahn, makes the driving time from Interlaken to Salzburg at about 7 hours.

I remember in TAR9, that the teams had to drive from Stuttgart to Bad Tolz and back to Munich. So WRP has previously had teams drive in this part of the world. They had to put on Lederhosen and break bottles or dance. So the beer/cake tent could be in Bavaria as well.

Interlaken to Obermaiselstein to Salzburg.

Anyway, nothing earthshattering, just some wierd/strange thoughts at 4 am.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:33:13 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2009, 09:05:46 AM »
Dr. Rox:

I did the same driving directions as you and came out almost identical. The straight through route without diversion to Obermaiselstein is "Geschätzte Fahrtdauer: 5 Stunden 38 Minuten Entfernung insg.: 605 Kilometer". I expected it would be more kilometers and more time, but there it is. The diversion to Obermaiselstein may be a little more than 2 hours total since the main route goes to the Munich autobahn, which is further north than the more direct but more time route to Salzburg.

For those of you who have not found Obermaiselstein on a map, it is quite near Fussen in southwest Bavaria but may not be on your map(it isn't on mine).

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »
apskip,

I used both Mapquest and Google Earth for driving directions. Obermaiselstein comes up in both databases. There was about 10 minutes differences in travel time between Mapquest and Google Earth.

I just got through looking at the picture of the Auburn couple at the train station in Interlaken. There is snow in the streets if you look. So if there is snow on the streets when they get to Interlaken, then I am sure the mountain slopes are covered in snow too. So again, that makes me think the cheese deal and paragliding are somewhere at a lower altitude and farther north away from the high mountains in the Alps..

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
 :ascared so many things to comment on....  ;)

Did the teams split up? Nijjy saw teams on the western run (Domodossola>Spiez>Interlaken), and Boingo spotted the Munoz bros.  :yess: on the eastern run (Bellinzona>Lucerne>Interlaken). System map here (430kb pdf).

I don't see any contraditions, if you assume two legs in Switzerland, Locarno and Interlaken.  The pix of the Munoz Bros. is how they get to Locarno, and the other sightings may be how they get to Interlaken for the second leg.  ;D

And just to say that finding one STOP on 100 zillion train lines in Switzerland is amazing,  :wtg: Boingo! :jam:

Not really that hard peach, once I identified the Gotthard Railway Line to Locarno, it made things a lot easier.

This is for Boingo  :sucks
Göschenen

Thanks puddin, glad I could help.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »
I created this map of the Interlaken area to show potential task sites.
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113232351306841072118.0004618ddf40365b9be6b&ll=46.661926,7.963715&spn=0.335999,0.892639&z=11

View Larger Map
The red pins show sites that http://www.twinparagliding.com use for paragliding. Most interesting is that there is a location near Mürren - but the James Bond location near Schilthorn would be really interesting.
I also highlighted  the "Outdoor Museum" in Ballenberg - which is a possibility for the cheese tasks. They do cheese making demonstrations using heritage methods...

All the sites seem to be within a 30 minute drive of Interlaken.

NVM - paragliding is in Gemany...  :-[
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:00:37 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »
I think that picture of the Munoz brothers is coming OUT of the north protal of the Gotthard Tunnel, on the way from Locarno to Interlaken at Goschenen.

If it was going into the tunnel on the way to Locarno, I would think they would be looking the other way and their hair would be blowing opposite to what it is, in that pic. The only reason to be coming OUT of that tunnel is to get to Interlaken. Ialso found pics of Swiss trains that were that color. A sort of dark green with the Swiss flag on them. The pic was taken in that station, Goschenen. The pic had about 6 different kinds of trains the Swiss use. I thought I saved the URL for the pic, but I dont see it. I will try to find it today.

The Gotthard Tunnel route is longer but faster trains to Interlaken. The train from Locarno to Domodossola is slow and a narrow gauge train. Once in Domodessola, they could get the fast trains to Interlaken. The narrow gauge train takes 2 hours to go about 80 miles.

I read some blog posts by people that took that trip from Locarno to Domodossola and they referred to that train as a "toy train."
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:02:00 PM by DrRox »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »
oooh pretty map! Now where did I read about how to embed one here? I'll look in a minute!

But what am I missing about the paragliding? Why would twinparagliding be using a chute from another company? Sorry, I am feeling dense about this. If the chute says this other company, isn't it reasonable to think they were involved? Which continues the question of paragliding being in Austria or Obermaiselstein, right?

If I have missed something, please tell me...I'm all bewildered and perplexed, :lol:

the paragliding could very well be Austria, if someones already mentioned this sorry in advance) .... still looking

HI  to everyone been a while from posting.  The number on the hang glider is the phone number for the OASE Flugschute company in Germany their  email is www.oase paragliding.com  If some one reads German may be they can contact them for more info.

The oase paragliding company is located in Obermaiselstein Germany FWIW.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »
The website says the paragliding "experience" can be up to 60 minutes long - depending on where you start from and thermal conditions. If they only had one parasail that could mean only one racer an hour - then they would have to drive the parasail back up to the launch point. They probably borrowed parasails from another company so they could - in theory - have all the racers in the air at once.

The ride from Beatenburg description says, "Afterwards you will land in the cosy centre of Interlaken, which is located at 1,700 ft above sea level."
Flying time from Beatenburg without/with thermals - ca. 15 Min. up to 30 Min.

oooh pretty map! Now where did I read about how to embed one here? I'll look in a minute!

But what am I missing about the paragliding? Why would twinparagliding be using a chute from another company? Sorry, I am feeling dense about this. If the chute says this other company, isn't it reasonable to think they were involved? Which continues the question of paragliding being in Austria or Obermaiselstein, right?

If I have missed something, please tell me...I'm all bewildered and perplexed, :lol:

the paragliding could very well be Austria, if someones already mentioned this sorry in advance) .... still looking

HI  to everyone been a while from posting.  The number on the hang glider is the phone number for the OASE Flugschute company in Germany their  email is www.oase paragliding.com  If some one reads German may be they can contact them for more info.

The oase paragliding company is located in Obermaiselstein Germany FWIW.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »

If you have snow on the streets of Interlaken, wouldn't it be safe to assume that the alpine meadows around Interlaken, where they paraglide would be covered in snow too?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
I don't think one company chosen to be featured on a major TV event will be choosing to feature another company's chute, sorry. And surely they have plenty of chutes? I too initially thought twingliding was the one, but perhaps it is OASE. I like the no snow--must be at lower altitude idea.  I still feel like I may be missing something though. I'll have a go at seeing if I can find out more another way  :angel:, if some of you GE people can try to match up that view, okay?

Match that lake!

But in any case, I LOVE the map and think it will be fabulous once we get it all confirmed! :hugs:

I think we need to separate the cheese and the paragliding. The cheese workers are clearly wearing MURREN badges. oopsie that would be Matten.... :-[

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:27:20 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
With Slowhatch's help because I wasn't sure, thank you Slowhatch  :kuss:, more on Interlaken, Switzerland and the Amazing Race  :sucks
TOI is Tourismus Interlaken, and "care," I'm guessing, is the group or committee that's tasked with handling WRP.

From this link/PDF and then translated  web page.

I think we all forgot about these people.....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »
And....?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »
And....?

Their specialty is filming snowboarding, with snow in the streets of Interlaken, then snow on the hills around town, at least to me. I guess they could have used him to rig the paragliding cameras. But I think the paragliding was done a long way from Interlaken.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
 :carryon:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:25:57 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

The cheese workers are clearly wearing MURREN badges.

What did I miss?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »

The cheese workers are clearly wearing MURREN badges.

What did I miss?

oh crapola, :lol: just me making an idgit of myself, it is MATTEN not Murren, right?  :groan: :lol3:

Darn, I just had a nice tour there..., oh well!  :iok :nut: :crazy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »
And....?

Their specialty is filming snowboarding, with snow in the streets of Interlaken, then snow on the hills around town, at least to me. I guess they could have used him to rig the paragliding cameras. But I think the paragliding was done a long way from Interlaken.
u

The TOI is just the group in charge of Tourism in Interlaken.  While they probably offer snowboard filming, it isn't their 'speciality'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 01:48:49 PM »
a MaTTen, lol:  is this the right one? ???

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
 :waves: Hi folks if you go to OASE web page and click on Tandemflug you get some great viedo and stills. Some of it looks like the promo. I emailed them asking if they worked on the race and if so when and where. If I get a answer back I'll let you know. As always you folks do a GREAT JOB THANKS
I WILL TRY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 02:51:51 PM »
Thanks Uncle Bill! I have been trying to snag those videos, they are great! maybe puddin can?

I agree this is prob our company, hope they don't mind two letters, lol!  :-[
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
a MaTTen, lol:  is this the right one? ???

Yes, its a 5 minute walk from Interlaken..
And thanks Uncle Bill!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »
There are year-round glaciers above Interlaken and some famous train lines that take you to them. There is plenty of snow in the area at high altitudes at the beginning of November, although there may not be any at low altitudes.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »
I think that picture of the Munoz brothers is coming OUT of the north protal of the Gotthard Tunnel, on the way from Locarno to Interlaken at Goschenen.

If it was going into the tunnel on the way to Locarno, I would think they would be looking the other way and their hair would be blowing opposite to what it is, in that pic. The only reason to be coming OUT of that tunnel is to get to Interlaken.

hmmm.... interesting.... so you think they are going NORTH.  Does the video show the train going north?  Don't recall that fact from the video.  So Wassen would be the connecting point to Interlaken?  hmmm.... 

eta: just checked the YouTube videos (on pg. 1) and don't see the train vidcaps.  I did notice that in the two vidcaps on page 1, that the building is smaller in the second vidcap, indicating that they are traveling away from the building(south), provided that that was the order they were captured.  Only puddin knows for sure.   ;)

eta again:  Just checked with the expert (puddin) and according to the original YouTube video, the train is traveling AWAY from the building, therefore going South towards the Gotthard Tunnel.   :snicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOMj2b0N6w

:angel:  oh well DrRox, it was a nice theory anyway....  ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:33:13 PM by Boingo »